Thread: 2019 Provincial Election - Healthcare Discussion

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default 2019 Provincial Election - Healthcare Discussion

With the 2019 election call, it is time to stop with the conversations pre-election, and get down to debating actual platforms announced. This thread will deal with Health Care.
    Ow

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I'd rather C2E than work!

It would be nice to get rid of parking fees at hospitals, I know it brings in money but many families are negatively affected at a time when they probably need the money most.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    It would be nice to get rid of parking fees at hospitals, I know it brings in money but many families are negatively affected at a time when they probably need the money most.
    Isn't that a city decision? I always thought it was..I agree, they charge way too much to visit someone..

?it's not a city decision at all. It's private property, owned by AHS.

AHS has programs to support people who can't pay. not charging for parking means the money is just collected through other ways, higher costs to the taxpayer for one.

Somewhat related. India has a two tier system. One of the things they've changed recently is in essence universal health care (single payer - the govt), particularly for the poor. This article talks about how one of the private hospital chains is looking to rise up to the challenge.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...t-even-cheaper

Obviously the low cost of living and wages in India is mostly what makes their procedures so cheap. But they've managed to get the procedures to 2% of the cost of the same procedure in the US, with better health outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

AHS has programs to support people who can't pay. not charging for parking means the money is just collected through other ways, higher costs to the taxpayer for one.
    It's actually provincial legislation that the Health budget cannot be used for maintenance of all the parking lots/parkades at all AHS sites, hence the reason for charges to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by illin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

It's actually provincial legislation that the Health budget cannot be used for maintenance of all the parking lots/parkades at all AHS sites, hence the reason for charges to the public.
    Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Someone always pays for free parking. Charge the user, it’s the fairest way.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Election over. Thread closed.
    Ow