Thread: Fairmont Hotel Macdonald | Interior Renovations | Proposed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Fairmont Hotel Macdonald | Interior Renovations | Proposed

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald defends renovation plans

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald shared renderings of its renovation plans for the Confederation Lounge on social media. The response, however, was not quite what staff anticipated. More than 170 people commented on the hotel’s Instagram post.

Instagram user @rhanchan said, “Now this looks like every other new restaurant. Loved the old look.”
    While @lauriekjensen said, “Worst decision ever @fairmontmac as it already has so much beauty and history. Please reconsider!!”
    “I think people have a right to voice their opinions and share,” said Garrett Turta, Fairmont Hotel Macdonald general manager.
    “You realize and you see the passion and care that people have for this hotel, so I think it’s nice to see people are passionate and people care about it,” he added.

“It’s the crown jewel in our skyline and I think it’s really important to people that it still reflects and tells the story of the building and of its history in Edmonton,” said Dan Rose, Chair of the City of Edmonton Historical Board.

Rose is “disappointed” with the new look.

“It looks like it takes something that is a definitive landmark and a destination and turns it into something that is just another sort of non-descript, pretty bland attempt at a regular old hotel,” he said.

“The finished product will not look like any other hotel,” argued Tutra.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

YIKES!!!. I THINK THEY SHOULD LEAVE IT AS IS!
    Yes I am shouting.

Yup a design that’s right on cue.

As was said above:

“Now this looks like every other new restaurant.”

Might as well demolish the whole historical building while you are at it. The design is very nice, got to admit that, but not in an original Grand Trunk Railway hotel. Looks more like Don Draper could walk in to meet a new love interest at any moment.

Maybe the designer should do a disco theme at Buckingham Palace first and then add a waterpark slide to the fountains in Rome before tackling this job.

Can you spell, H-I-S-T-O-R-I-C R-E-S-O-U-R-C-E?

They only want to do this because renovations to historical building back to original costs more money. Don't let them cheapen Edmonton's landmark hotel. I would have accepted this for the 1953 concrete box addition that they tore down in the 80''s. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Macdonald
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-03-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Ugh! it does look a waiting area at the airport..thumbs down.

I love mid century modern but unless the entire hotel is being updated... this will look very out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I love mid century modern but unless the entire hotel is being updated... this will look very out of place.
    It looks a lot like the furniture I grew up with. So the hotel may well have used the same stuff at some point as well. All that stuff was very common and most of it probably ended up in the dump as fickle fashion fads changed.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Gotta say that I am a little disappointed here. I LOVE the Confederation Lounge and frequent it regularly, but enjoy it because of what it is, not what it is going to be.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

By all means, mess with success and then present equally hair-brained excuses: "Oh, the current furniture and tables are soooo heavy ....."

Just say it - the "new look" is a design to squeeze in more people in order to make more money.

My guess, it will be as total fail and make less money as people gravitate to other airport lounges.
    ... gobsmacked

Scroll down link for comparison photo

https://www.goopages.ca/minw/mw/phot...macdonald.html

That panelling in the upper right isn’t a historical element?

Design by Wayfair....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

does the city or province put any money toward the hotel in any capacity?

100 years of Hotel Macdonald: High tea, please
    https://edmontonsun.com/2015/07/03/1...-4c33d256bfab\
    Saved from the wrecking ball in 1984 after the city protected the building with the first ever heritage designation in Edmonton – prior to which many of the furnishings and silverware were sold or given away – the hotel underwent a massive renovation, protecting five key areas of the hotel.

The decorative 21-foot ceilings of the Empire Ballroom are original to 1915. The chandelier, a reproduction, is adorned with glass beads evocative of a tradition of guests in the 1950s who, after dancing the night away, would toss their jewelry into the chandelier.

The Wedgewood room is aptly named for the Wedgwood detailed ceilings original to the historic hotel, and has served as home to American soldiers stationed there during World War II.

The Confederation Lounge, another protected area, is named so because of the Fathers of Confederation painting – actually called the “Meeting of the Delegates of British North America to Settle Terms of Confederation, Quebec, October 1864”, repainted by F.S. Challener – which is considered the best replica ever painted of the original.
    https://www.edmontonsarchitecturalhe...tel-macdonald/

I wonder how long until they decide the Wedgewood room is also dated and replace it with lots of mirrors and chrome.

and 15 years later wanting to go back to the original and demand millions from the city?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

We go several times a year to have a drink. We love the room but I am looking forward to the Reno. Last time work was done was 1991. Time for a refresh.