Thread: 2019 Concerts

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default 2019 Concerts

Already looking like we'll have more concerts than 2018. Here's what's been announced for Rogers Place so far.

January 24, 2019 Dierks Bentley[11] Burning Man Tour
    January 31, 2019 Arkells Rally Cry Tour
    February 2, 2019 Paul Brandt The Journey Tour
    February 6-7, 2019 Justin Timberlake[12] The Man of the Woods Tour
    February 20, 2019 Snoop Dogg[13] Snoop Dogg & Friends Tour
    February 24, 2019 Little Big Town[14] The Breakers Tour
    March 12, 2019 Lynyrd Skynyrd[15] The Last of the Street Survivors Farewell Tour
    April 13, 2019 Fleetwood Mac[17]
    April 15, 2019 Michael Bublé[18] An Evening with Michael Bublé
    April 25, 2019 Ariana Grande[19] Sweetener World Tour
    May 3, 2019 Godsmack
    May 10, 2019 Thomas Rhett
    May 15, 2019 Twenty One Pilots The Bandito Tour
    May 25, 2019 Cher[20] Here We Go Again Tour
    May 28, 2019 Carrie Underwood[21] Cry Pretty Tour 360
    June 11, 2019 Judas Priest Firepower World Tour
    June 16, 2019 Shawn Mendes[22] Shawn Mendes: The Tour
    June 21, 2019 Corey Hart The Never Surrender Tour
    July 9, 2019 Ozzy Osbourne No More Tours II
    July 25, 2019 Backstreet Boys DNA World Tour
    August 30, 2019 Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast Tour
    September 27-28, 2019 Elton John[23] Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quite a few farewell tours, right? Cher has been on a retirement tour for about several years now, while Ozzy has retired and comeback more times than George Foreman!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quite a few farewell tours, right? Cher has been on a retirement tour for about several years now, while Ozzy has retired and comeback more times than George Foreman!
    Maiden? Sweet! Had no idea...maybe I'll be able to catch them this time finally....been trying to see them again since '88 when they headlined at the Agricom with Anthrax as an opener.

Strange, Godsmack? Can they fill an arena these days - classic late 90's band - is Creed and Limp Bizkit opening?...lol

Rogers Place's twitter just teased a clip of The Who
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That's the best they can do? Old retread acts? Has Rogers become a branch of River Cree with all those has-beens?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    That's the best they can do? Old retread acts? Has Rogers become a branch of River Cree with all those has-beens?
    Its testament to how dead the music industry is as far as ticket selling acts go. Lots of good music today, just that pop generally sucks today and less big time acts.

Man, I counted at least 15 old acts in that list. Some of those also just being lower bowl type shows. We spent a lot to build this new arena at a time where Arena entertainment is on a low ebb. Not helped by a brutal economy.

Corey Hart? lol. How is that not in the River Cree?

I think they just threw some of these acts a bone to disguise how many empty nights there is at Rogers Place.

The Who? Again? lmao. Who cares? I was a big fan when they were a vital act. But from the band that gave us "Hope I die before I get old" its odd to see geriatrics want to die on stage every other night. 2 left still alive in the band. Gives "Who's Next" a whole other meaning that was I'm sure not intended on their classic album.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-01-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

^I think it was in 1979.....my family had no cable TV so my siblings and I went to our grandparents' house to watch, The Who's Final Concert. LOL

As you mention, it is more the sad state of the music industry than the inability of Roger's Place to bring in current, blockbuster acts.

Besides Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Drake and maybe five other artists, there are no worthy current acts that can fill up arenas on a worldwide tour. The artists that produce one-hit wonder pop songs (tune to Hot 107) don't have enough material to stage a 2.5 hour concert.

Sadly, Up+DT is taking a year off to re-group, re-populate and re-invigourate. The growth, success and additional work required them to step back and re-focus.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

That is terrible news. You can read the statement for yourself here: https://www.facebook.com/updtfest/. Something is fishy here. Considering how poorly CoE handled entertainment opportunities for both the X games thing and Grey Cup I'll be interested to hear actual reasons for this hiatus.

Meanwhile Calgary has two large, multi-venue, winter indie music festivals happening in short order. With several quality Edmonton acts performing.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Sadly, Up+DT is taking a year off to re-group, re-populate and re-invigourate. The growth, success and additional work required them to step back and re-focus.
    Too bad, its a good event, but could do with some larger facilities and a few more premium artists. Thao and the Get down stay down was a good get, but could have been publicized that she did not bring her band.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Larger venues and premium acts are exactly what Up + DT doesn't need.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Larger venues and premium acts are exactly what Up + DT doesn't need.
    Not real large venues but a bit larger, or comfortable. Or at least some with proper sitelines. How many gigs does a person want to go to at say Starlite and not be able to see anything. We don't have proper small size venues here. The Church venue works the best for up/down (forget which one that was) but not much for atmosphere...

Theres hardly any point going to a show and not being able to see the stage. Too many times..Paramount would've been good for this kind of thing. The Strand theater, alas, would have been gold for this kind of thing.

Listen old-timer, I like a soft seater as much as the next guy - Altameda and Joey Landreth at the Arden is going to be a helluva show (the new Altameda record is so damn good). But UP+DT is about trying something new, musically and being out-and-about wise. Get sweaty, drink too much, stumble into a venue you've never been before, find your new favourite band.

Listen old-timer, I like a soft seater as much as the next guy - Altameda and Joey Landreth at the Arden is going to be a helluva show (the new Altameda record is so damn good). But UP+DT is about trying something new, musically and being out-and-about wise. Get sweaty, drink too much, stumble into a venue you've never been before, find your new favourite band.
    You know it better than I do, I just sampled it, just got a taste. Sometime we will get the whole pass. It seems you need to buy the festival pass to have the optimum experience. One thing though, Is it hit and miss if you get into some of the shows or if they are turning them away. Not sure about that. I'd like just what you state, to go from one venue to the other and sample some shows. lol, I always find the acts that I want to see are always playing at the same damn time in different venues. I like eclectic music, and do pretty good with tastes for my age, but I'm not able to jump from one show to the other in a minute.

Give me some of these same acts in a smallish festival type setting where you could take in more of them. Kind of like a Folk Fest at Gallagher, but this type of music. Interstellar Rodeo isn't really capturing that. We need some kind of Alt festival.

Precisely.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The Who, Oct 23 at Rogers Place. One of only three Canadian stops.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Def Leppard, July 29

26 shows already announced for Rogers Place for 2019, compared to the 21 held in 2018.