Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly will Jason Kenny do as Premier?

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Kenny had quite the scam running in the leadership race, didn't he?

What exactly will Jason Kenney do? My guess is try to defend himself to the RCMP

RCMP take over investigation of United Conservative Party 'irregular financial contribution' allegations
    Alberta election commissioner identified 'potential violations' outside his jurisdiction
    Alberta's Office of the Election Commissioner has turned over to the RCMP its investigation into allegations of irregular political contributions involving the so-called "kamikaze" campaign of United Conservative Party leadership contender Jeff Callaway.

"Our inquiries into your complaint have identified potential violations that fall outside of the jurisdiction of our office and, as a result, the RCMP are now engaged," the election commissioner's investigations manager, Steve Kaye, stated in a March 9 email obtained exclusively by CBC News.

Kaye, a former Saskatoon city police officer, sent the email to a complainant, who was anonymous, to inform them that the election commissioner was obligated to share the information provided by the complainant to the RCMP.

"Const. J.P. Michaud of the K Division RCMP serious crimes branch would like to contact you. I am obliged to share the contact information you have provided with our office to assist him in his investigation," the email stated, adding that "you should anticipate that the RCMP will reach out to you in the near future."

---

It's alleged Callaway was a "kamikaze" candidate who entered the race to attack former Wildrose leader Brian Jean on Jason Kenney's behalf, a story that broke when audio was released of a conversation outlining the plan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ions-1.5057255

Edmonton first, everything else second.

I'd rather C2E than work!

There won't be any left, Notley is busy spending it, when she hasn't even called an election..

Glad I did not do that ^^
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Amazing that politicians still try to bribe people with their own tax dollars and voters still are so gullible.

Maybe Kenny should offer $10M of his own money...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Amazing that politicians still try to bribe people with their own tax dollars and voters still are so gullible.

It works.

Supporting voter interests via tax redistribution, tax or expense reductions (often via raising taxes/cutting subsidies on opposition party supporters) is nothing new. Universal health care, economic development...

C2E SME

Why not Domtar Provincial Park in NE Edmonton?

Oh look your outraged about something again.... why havent we seen you complaining about all the money the ndp have been dishing out???

C2E SME

As is any outraged UCP voter. And you'll defend Kenney at any cost!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Why not Domtar Provincial Park in NE Edmonton?
    Touché!

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post

Oh look your outraged about something again.... why havent we seen you complaining about all the money the ndp have been dishing out???
    Wow!, Just wow!

Triggered are we?

Make one comment and you go ballistic. I said "politicians still try to bribe people" as in politicians in general.

Settle down, have a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post

Oh look your outraged about something again.... why haven't we seen you complaining about all the money the ndp have been dishing out???
    LOL, and the crowd goes wild..or dippers go wild
    But but Kenny..
    Like JT
    But but Harper..

You missed the part where I repeated that I said "politicians still try to bribe people" as in politicians in general.

You do have comprehension problems that were not corrected in your early childhood, don't you?

"No collusion! No collusion!" - Jason Kenney

Kenney, Callaway campaigns collaborated to attack Brian Jean during UCP leadership race, leaked documents show

The documents include several emails between Wolf, Davies, Kerr, and sometimes Callaway. The emails reveal Wolf and the Kenney campaign were providing not just communications support, but also planned, regular strategic political direction throughout Callaway's campaign.

In a telephone interview Saturday, Davies confirmed to CBC News the campaigns had even decided in advance when Callaway would quit the race.

"Callaway's withdrawal was something that wasn't necessarily negotiable," Davies said. "It was something that had been decided in a meeting in mid-July, between Callaway and the Jason Kenney leadership team."

In an Aug. 13, 2017, email entitled "Week 1 & 2 Comms Draft," Davies wrote to Wolf: "Please review, thoughts appreciated."

"The themes I'm pushing for are: Seeds of Doubt (Aug. 14-26); Consistency (Aug. 23 - Sept. 6); Trust (Sept. 1 - Sept. 13)," Davies continued.

"Jeff drops (although depending when debates are, you may have other ideas?)," Davies's email to Wolf continues. Davies confirmed to CBC News that was a reference to Callaway's planned withdrawal from the race.

The email adds that "by this time we hope Jean has attacked Jeff, lost his cool in a debate or two, gone off script to the media so we can release a series of 'Screamin' Jean' SoundCloud files in which he is screaming at the [executive committee]."

Davies's final suggested weekly theme was "Temperament (Sept. 15 - Oct??)"

Wolf also provided Callaway's campaign with a suggested speech for Callaway to give when he abruptly quit the race weeks before the vote and endorsed Kenney, the documents show.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...jean-1.5059899

C2E SME

Given this investigation, I wonder if the Lieutenant Governor would authorize dropping the writ.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

There won't be any left, Notley is busy spending it, when she hasn't even called an election..
    So was the tories who brought us into massive debt while royalties were rolling in massive margins. Kind of calling the kettle black here unless you just chose to be that deliberately ignorant in your view. I couldn't care less who is in power, but the man you champion continue to demonstrate his pure intent in nefarious behaviors and deceitful stance. You obviously don't look at leaders quality or character but simply bypartisan to a title of a party.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Kenney vows to create something that has been in the works for 10 years already. Typical Kenney

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

So was the tories who brought us into massive debt while royalties were rolling in massive margins. Kind of calling the kettle black here unless you just chose to be that deliberately ignorant in your view. I couldn't care less who is in power, but the man you champion continue to demonstrate his pure intent in nefarious behaviors and deceitful stance. You obviously don't look at leaders quality or character but simply bypartisan to a title of a party.
    You don't care who is power? Good grief,what's wrong with you?
    I'll decide who I'll vote for, but don't lecture me, when you don't care!
    Sheesh, what a gremlin!

I agree with ctzn-Ed, I don't care who is in power or what political leanings and party they belong to. I think many people are sick and tired of partisan politics.

The people want good government, fiscal responsibility, cut waste, leadership to take the Province forward on the principle of do what is good for the entire province and not big business, pork barrel projects, political friends or special interests.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

You don't care who is power? Good grief,what's wrong with you?
    I'll decide who I'll vote for, but don't lecture me, when you don't care!
    Sheesh, what a gremlin!
    Well, we need more information and confirmation on what was going on behind the scenes during their leadership campaign but it’s definitely looking like something that could reveal the leader to be any or all of: immoral, unprincipled, underhanded, deceitful, anti-democratic.

Even if no existing rules or laws were broken, your thoughts on the apparent gaming of the leadership race?

Some Buffett quotes you may agree with:

“ ''If you don't know jewelry, know your jeweler,'' says Warren Buffett”

Source:
    A Fraud by Any Other Name
    May 4, 2003
    https://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/o...-any-other-nam

“In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if they don't have the first, the other two will kill you.” - Warren Buffett

“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minuted to ruin it. If you think about that you'll do things differently.” - Warren Buffett

Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 18-03-2019 at 09:26 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Glad I did not do that ^^
    I'm trying to figure out the joke. Dr. Evil says that line when asking for ransom, and then ups the amount requested to several billion. Is the point of the meme that Kenney will increase the amount of money he's offereing to build the park?

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...yUN6F8TH5dz-rQ

He’s repeatedly called for civility and decency among politicians, and called out the NDP for engaging in attack style tactics.

All of it now seems like outright hypocrisy.

On Monday, the legislature will hear the latest speech from the throne, an event held yearly, in part, to celebrate democracy.

Kenney may want to skip it. The actions of his campaign team, combined with his now dubious denials of those actions, serves to further erode the public’s trust in our elected officials – a profession Kenney has claimed to hold in high esteem.

We are rapidly coming to a point where UCP’s 160,000 members, candidates and staff will face a choice of whether to stick with a leader who is flailing in moral quicksand.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E SME

Can't say I'm surprised about these revelations. Kenney's repeatedly shown in his career that he values political expediency above all else, and that he is a massive hypocrite. The only question at this point is whether it resonates with the voting public enough to make a difference. On that, I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...yUN6F8TH5dz-rQ

He’s repeatedly called for civility and decency among politicians, and called out the NDP for engaging in attack style tactics.

All of it now seems like outright hypocrisy.

On Monday, the legislature will hear the latest speech from the throne, an event held yearly, in part, to celebrate democracy.

Kenney may want to skip it. The actions of his campaign team, combined with his now dubious denials of those actions, serves to further erode the public’s trust in our elected officials – a profession Kenney has claimed to hold in high esteem.

We are rapidly coming to a point where UCP’s 160,000 members, candidates and staff will face a choice of whether to stick with a leader who is flailing in moral quicksand.
    I can’t see them doing anything but continuing to support him. In terms of the majority they’ll just be like any other party. It’s about seizing and maintaining power (aka winning) and nothing more. Same for the federal Liberal party members lately. These people that become card carrying members of any party are necessary for our democracy but we shouldn’t view them as having much in the way of ethics or a belief in democracy. Just as few business owners actually believe in capitalism and the necessity of a level playing field except as a tool to further their own interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised about these revelations. Kenney's repeatedly shown in his career that he values political expediency above all else, and that he is a massive hypocrite. The only question at this point is whether it resonates with the voting public enough to make a difference. On that, I'm not so sure.
    I'm not certain, either. I think hitting him as an eviscerator of public services/the social safety net is likely the best path, but this sort of story might weaken his trustworthiness (to the extent that anyone finds him trustworthy in the first place, I guess).

It's not as if he's been making friends with the grassroots.

Edmonton-Meadows UCP board members want 'fair' nomination after Kenney appoints candidate Len Rhodes

Edmonton-Meadows UCP board members say they are frustrated after leader Jason Kenney appointed former Edmonton Eskimos president Len Rhodes as a candidate without consulting them.

“The board did not endorse it, we did not know,” said board member Shannon Berry in an interview Thursday. “It’s just not democratic.”

Kenney said Monday that he was told by constituency association president Dave Purewal that a majority of the board supported his decision to appoint Rhodes. The UCP said there are 30 board members.

Berry and 13 other board members wrote a letter to UCP executive director Janice Harrington complaining about the process that quashed the campaigns of three nomination hopefuls.

“We had three perfectly good nominees that had been out canvassing, they had been door-knocking, they had been fundraising,” Berry said. “Four months in they put in all this effort … to just have Mr. Len Rhodes just come floating in.

“He doesn’t even live inside the city boundaries, he lives in St. Albert.”

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ate-len-rhodes
    And

Graham Thomson: Jason Kenney's 'grassroots guarantee' still missing in action and online

He called it a grassroots guarantee: “The policies of the United Conservative Party must be developed democratically by its grassroots members, not imposed by its leader.”

Kenney was, by golly, so serious about the “guarantee” he had it printed on a big piece of cardboard.

To emphasize his point, his web page was even addressed http://www.grassrootsguarantee.ca.

Nobody seemed to notice when the page went dark May 2, just two days before the opening of the UCP’s founding convention. But then came the policy debates May 6 when party delegates passed some contentious resolutions, including one that essentially called for students to be “outed” to their parents for joining a gay-straight alliance (GSA).

Kenney suggested he would ignore that resolution.

“Guess what? I’m the leader,” he told journalists. “I get to interpret the resolution and its relevance to party policy.”

But what about the grassroots guarantee?

When journalists went online to confirm exactly what the guarantee said, they discovered the page was gone.

Kenney said it was an “IT issue” with his digital guys.

“That was part of my leadership campaign website which we stopped updating on Oct. 29 of last year and it was taken down because we changed vendors,” explained Kenney.

Yes, but it wasn’t taken down until six months after the UCP leadership vote, on the eve of the UCP’s founding convention.

Up until that point, UCP members heading to the convention could happily go online and be given the impression that whatever policies they passed on the weekend would become party policy.

“You know, one of the reasons we had this division in the Alberta conservative movement in recent years was because of an arrogant style of top-down leadership where leaders were telling people what to think rather than listening to them,” said Kenney in an online video explaining the guarantee. “I think that our new United Conservative Party should ensure that you, the grassroots members, are in charge, that you develop the policies of this new party and give the leadership its marching orders.”

Then came May 6 when a majority of grassroots members created a headache for Kenney by voting to stop protecting the privacy of students who join GSAs.

Goodbye “grassroots guarantee,” hello “I’m-the-leader” guarantee.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ion-and-online
    And it appears that his "IT issue" is still ongoing.

http://www.grassrootsguarantee.ca/ gives you this message

"Page cannot be found.

The URL you requested either moved or no longer exists."
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 18-03-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Such a bizarre move. Does having Len Rhodes as a candidate attract any kind of discernable benefit for the UCP, in that particular consituency, that outweighs the costs of alienating the supporters of the candidates who actually put in the sweat equity of contesting a nomination? Is Len Rhodes really that much of a star?

C2E SME

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/wha...kaze-campaign/

Then, in September, Davies said he received a call. The Callaway team appeared to be in a panic over a $57,000 entry fee—which Callaway’s campaign would need to pay to the party to ensure he could participate in debates and continue with the leadership race.Those funds needed to come from the campaign’s account, Davies said.
    “I was approached by Callaway to meet up with an associate of his—Mr. Robyn Lore—to go to a bank to accept a large transfer of funds, withdraw those funds and, in short, deliver them in person to Callaway who met us at the bank that day. Those funds would then be assigned to various names on paper to make donations so that the deposit and election fees could be met by the deadline in order to keep Jeff Callaway in the debates,” he said.
    This may have been a contravention of the Alberta Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act, which stipulates that individuals are permitted to donate a maximum of $4,000 to any combination of a party, constituency association, candidate, nomination contestant or leadership contestant.
    Further, the name of the donors must be recorded and reported in financial disclosures to Elections Alberta. Donors cannot submit money on behalf of anyone else; the money must originate with the person listed on the disclosure form.
    Davies’ personal bank statement shows that on Sept. 11, 2017, he received a transfer of $60,000 from an entity listed as “Agropyron.” According to an Alberta corporate registries search, the sole director of Agropyron Enterprises Ltd. is Robyn Lore.
    The bank document shows that the $60,000 was then immediately transferred or withdrawn in several tranches; Davies said about half of the money was distributed to “donors” that he admits he helped obtain for the Callaway campaign.
    A further $33,515 was withdrawn in cash. According to Davies, this money was handed to Callaway directly at the bank.
    Going to be very, very interesting to see where the RCMP investigation of all this goes.

[Jean] resigned!!!
    You know he was booted out!!!!!LOL..snivelling [putz].
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    [Jean] resigned!!!
    You know he was booted out!!!!!LOL..snivelling [putz].
    ftfy
    Nah, you never fix SFA

Some of it is here:

“Saved 32 times between September 11, 2017 and November 17, 2018.
    Summary of grassrootsguarantee.ca · Site Map of grassrootsguarantee.ca”

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...tsguarantee.ca

“GRASSROOTS GUARANTEE
    The policies of the United Conservative Party must be developed democratically by its grassroots members, not imposed by its Leader.”

Grassroots policy plan link:
    “Organize
    Organize regional policy workshops, inviting all members to participate in open, informed debate to generate ideas for local policy resolutions.

Encourage
    Encourage constituency associations to hold local policy meetings, where grassroots resolutions can be proposed and voted on.

Rank
    Allow all members to comment on and rank preferred resolutions, using a secure online platform.

Debate
    Debate amendment and adoption of resolutions at the founding UCP Convention to form a Policy Declaration.

Refine
    Appoint a Platform Committee made up of UCP members and MLAs to consult Albertans of all backgrounds, and refine the Founding Principles and Policy Declaration into an election platform.”
    Last edited by KC; 18-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Cross reference to an earlier time:

Wildrose and PC merger talk

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...PC-merger-talk

Brian Jean is new leader of Wildrose Party .

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...Wildrose-Party

Alberta Advantage Party

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...dvantage-Party
    Last edited by KC; 18-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Just heard, nothing from the RCMP, unless there is something to tell us. Jason is cooperating..��

UCP will be getting more vote, in fact the more insane,
    ludicrous and smearing takes place - to me tells me that the other parties are terrified of trying something new or different and that they are just digging us more and more into debt.

Former candidate ties Kenney to meeting where kamikaze plan was devised.

"No collusion! No collusion!"

Former Alberta UCP candidate who helped execute kamikaze campaign asks for judicial inquiry into Kenney's role
    Happy Mann says he was at meeting with UCP Leader Jason Kenney where plan was devised

A former Alberta United Conservative Party nomination race candidate who said he collaborated on a "kamikaze" campaign to tank Brian Jean and ensure Jason Kenney's success in the party's 2017 leadership race is calling for a judicial inquiry into the situation.

Hardyal Singh (Happy) Mann says he attended a meeting at Jeff Callaway's house on July 19, 2017, along with Kenney and other party insiders, where it was decided Callaway would join the UCP leadership race to run a campaign aimed at discrediting Jean, before dropping out of the race to endorse Kenney.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...aign-1.5061407

UCP Candidate Complained ‘White Supremacist Terrorists’ Are Treated Unfairly, Leaked Messages Show

One of the star candidates for Jason Kenney’s United Conservative Party argued white supremacist terrorists face a double-standard compared to Islamic terrorists and echoed white nationalist rhetoric in a Facebook conversation following a 2017 terror attack perpetrated by a neo-Nazi in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Caylan Ford, who is seeking to represent the riding of Calgary-Mountain View in the 2019 provincial election, also expressed anxiety over “the replacement of white peoples in their homelands” and suggested “Western culture” would collapse if “another race” takes over in Europe and North America.
    https://pressprogress.ca/ucp-candida...messages-show/

Hilarious. She seems to want one standard in the treatment of terrorists.

They are treated differently and it’s fine to point out the differences in treatment. As for the terrorists feelings: too bad, so sad. And the issue of: “anyone who shares even some of their views” gets “painted with the same brush.” That painting with the same brush was foisted on all the Muslims as well - probably by most white supremacists themselves. She pulls the old sweeping generalization bit herself in her own comments yet doesn’t it seem that she wants nuanced understanding of her own terrorists of concern?
    Last edited by KC; 18-03-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Ya know Jason, if your party keeps attracting these people, you might want to start asking why.

From the link in #140

“I am somehow saddened by the demographic replacement of white peoples in their homelands,” Ford wrote, echoing a narrative common with white nationalists.

She added: “it’s clear that it will not be a peaceful transition.”

The “great replacement” is a common cry of French far-right leader Marine LePen’s Front National, which borrowed the term from a conspiracy theory popularized by French author Renaud Camus which falsely claims a shadowy cabal of global elites are deliberately replacing white Europeans with Muslim immigrants.

The far-right terrorist in New Zealand last week left a manifesto that was also titled “the great replacement,” echoing many of the same themes.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.
    God, shady AF!
    Fixed that fo- ... oh, wait. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L.
    God, shady AF!
    Fixed that fo- ... oh, wait. Never mind.

I don't.

C2E SME

White supremacists should be treated as terrorists when they gun down people in a mosque.

White supremacists should be treated as terrorists when they gun down people in a mosque.
    Of course they should, they should be on a watch list..

And, to the surprise of nobody except H.L. and the like, another UCP member confirms that they're racist.

Caylan Ford resigns as UCP candidate after report claims she ‘echoed white nationalist rhetoric’

Caylan Ford has resigned as a candidate for the United Conservative Party (UCP) in the riding of Calgary-Mountain View following a report that claimed she complained that people don’t treat white supremacist terrorists the same way they do Islamic terrorists, and that she “echoed white nationalist rhetoric.”

On Monday, PressProgress — an “independent, non-profit newsroom” that is also a “media project” launched by left-leaning think tank the Broadbent Institute — published a story alleging that Ford echoed that rhetoric in a series of Facebook messages after a white supremacist killed a woman while ramming protesters with his car during a 2017 rally in Charlottesville, Va..

https://globalnews.ca/news/5070749/c...GlobalNational
    Meanwhile, Jason Kenney will continue to deny that the UCP attracts racists.

C2E SME

I wonder how UCP feel about the replacement of their white people in their party.

KK, don't think for one minute that H.L. is unaware that the UCP has racist elements. She is just like Sarah Sanders; knowing that there are but in full counterattack mode with denial after denial and a heavy dose of distraction and whataboutism.

I wonder how UCP feel about the replacement of their white people in their party.
    They are still trying to figure out how the women got in...

They figured that it couldn't be because of "tactical politics, so what could it be?

March 8 2019 4:44pm 01:12
    Jason Kenney says men understand ‘tactical politics’ better than women

https://globalnews.ca/video/5036481/...ter-than-women

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    They figured that it couldn't be because of "tactical politics, so what could it be?

March 8 2019 4:44pm 01:12
    Jason Kenney says men understand ‘tactical politics’ better than women

https://globalnews.ca/video/5036481/...ter-than-women
    So is he saying that women lack the experience in conducting corrupt campaigns?

Ok so a lot of the usual airy fairy crap but a few items that may be tangible:

Create ministry
    Cut corporate taxes from 12 to 8
    Scrap the carbon tax
    Fixed election date
    Scrap super lab
    Repeal the workplace safety and employment standards legislation

One that sounds like something, but something from the mouth of a child in elementary school:
    Cut red tape by 1/3

Alberta election 2019: What promises has the UCP made? | Globalnews.ca

https://globalnews.ca/news/5014642/a...aign-promises/

He sounds more confident than Notley who is going on and on right now, and she's nervous, very nervous. She's talking gibberish..

Kenney also says he would bring in a fixed election date and pass a law mandating a referendum before any future government tries to impose a carbon tax.

Yes!!!!!!!
    ... unless in the fine tradition of the previous government that brought in the "fixed" election dates, he just later chooses to ignore it and change the law. Didn't Kenney also lead that party too?

Would Kenney lie to us about fixed election dates that too?

He sounds more confident than Notley who is going on and on right now, and she's nervous, very nervous. She's talking gibberish..
    "No collusion! No collusion!" - Kason Kenney

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Kenney also says he would bring in a fixed election date and pass a law mandating a referendum before any future government tries to impose a carbon tax.

Yes!!!!!!!
    ... unless in the fine tradition of the previous government that brought in the "fixed" election dates, he just later chooses to ignore it and change the law. Didn't Kenney also lead that party too?

Would Kenney lie to us about fixed election dates that too?
    When Kenny left Ottawa he packed his suitcase full of all the rot that he learned there and then unpacked it here.

I watched Kenney's performance on TV yesterday. He normally seems quite unflappable, but he did seem a bit flustered or something yesterday.

Maybe he is still fairly confident the election will be over before the RCMP start taking away people in handcuffs and doing the perp walk, but I don't think he is as confident about that as he was previously.

I watched Kenney's performance on TV yesterday. He normally seems quite unflappable, but he did seem a bit flustered or something yesterday.

Maybe he is still fairly confident the election will be over before the RCMP start taking away people in handcuffs and doing the perp walk, but I don't think he is as confident about that as he was previously.
    Hmm, I thought he was fine, he knows the election will be called soon,and he was right,she called it today. If she was THAT certain, why didn't she wait?

Hmm, I thought he was fine, he knows the election will be called soon,and he was right,she called it today. If she was THAT certain, why didn't she wait?
    I don't know if this was a big consideration, but I suspect someone thought about it - if things start to go badly for Kenney, delaying the election could give the UCP a chance to make a last minute switcheroo, sort of like what happened in Ontario.

True, I think anyone voting UCP knows Jason is smart. He's been to Ottawa, he knows how it works. Calling a referendum regarding equalization is good, because he explained when that happens, the feds have to listen..
    All I see from the little boy JT in Ottawa, is but Harper, Harper, and Harper..
    Last edited by H.L.; 19-03-2019 at 12:33 PM.

So are you saying that JT is following Harper's tactics?

Wasn't Kenny one of Harper's cabinet ministers from 2008 to 2015?

C2E Continued Contributor

I think you hear what you want to hear. Regardless of whether or not you agree with her politics she is generally one of the more confident and well spoken politicians we have.

True, I think anyone voting UCP knows Jason is smart. He's been to Ottawa, he knows how it works. Calling a referendum regarding equalization is good, because he explained when that happens, the feds have to listen..
    Are you talking about the equalization formula that he and Harper put into effect. Please remember if you think equalization is unfair in any respect you can thank, in part, Kenny.

So are you in favour of cancelling all equalization?

Gibberish? A quote please.

I wonder if that was why people have been charged with obstructing the investigation. Maybe they were told to delay things as much as they could until after the election was called. Total speculation of course but it's obvious that there's things coming out now that the UCP didn't want people to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Gibberish? A quote please.

Go find her announcement, she went on and on. Accusing before the RCMP have said ONE word..and she sounded nervous..little tiny kids behind her, that didn't know what to do..I hate anyone using tiny children as props

I suppose if a referendum was held in each province impacted by a change in the equalization formula (that would be all of them really, because if one pays less all the others pay more or get less) and they all agreed, the Feds would probably go along. However, I suspect that is way beyond Kenney's capabilities or intentions.

The "hold a referendum on equalization" is just another example of trying to dumb things down to appeal to people to get votes. Perhaps it sounds good, but when you think about it for more than a second, you see the problems of why it will not really work. When politicians make promises like this, then people get upset after the election, when politicians can't keep the promises they made.

C2E Continued Contributor

Nah his base won't care, because "jobs" and "taxes".

I suppose if a referendum was held in each province impacted by a change in the equalization formula (that would be all of them really, because if one pays less all the others pay more or get less) and they all agreed, the Feds would probably go along. However, I suspect that is way beyond Kenney's capabilities or intentions.

The "hold a referendum on equalization" is just another example of trying to dumb things down to appeal to people to get votes. Perhaps it sounds good, but when you think about it for more than a second, you see the problems of why it will not really work. When politicians make promises like this, then people get upset after the election, when politicians can't keep the promises they made.

Nobody is making you take part in one..

If Kenney knew anything about the constitution or thought that his followers did either, then he'd know that since equalization is enshrined in the constitution, it would require an amendment to fundamentally change or eliminate it.

Subsection 36(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982 states that "Parliament and the government of Canada are committed to the principle of making Equalization payments to ensure that provincial governments have sufficient revenues to provide reasonably comparable levels of public services at reasonably comparable levels of taxation."

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...e-16.html#h-53

Therefore, you'd require 50%+1 and seven provinces to agree to any amendment. Therefor since Ontario has ~38% and Quebec has ~28%, you'd need at least one of them on your side as well as a majority of other provinces. In other words, not going to happen.

It’s a balancing pool isn’t it? A reduction for Alberta would have to be achieved through exemptions or rate reductions only for Alberta. Asymmetric federal marginal tax rates maybe? . Or exempt every 5th Albertan from paying taxes?

Maybe instead Alberta should be saying that we need a new social program included in the equalization formula. Say an economic sector replacement program. For economic sectors that have to be scaled down, the feds will provide all necessary funds to build up a new sector(s). As oil sands winds down its entire economic contribution will be replaced through equalization payments to Alberta.

It’s simply not right that we should have to shut down the oil and gas sectors and force a few million Albertans to have to move to other provinces as 2/3 of our economic support disappears - after decades of paying equalization’s majority outflows. We need an equalization payment pipeline coming into the province!

Or hey, give us monopoly rights on all solar and wind generation for all of Canada. Income replacement so we can keep paying into the pool.
    Last edited by KC; 19-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    He didn't "guarantee" jobs and taxes, did he? With his lack of business experience, I doubt he will be able to deliver anyways and it sounds like the only tax cuts that would happen under Kenney would be for large corporations. I believe he actually already said personal tax rates would be unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    He didn't "guarantee" jobs and taxes, did he? With his lack of business experience, I doubt he will be able to deliver anyways and it sounds like the only tax cuts that would happen under Kenney would be for large corporations. I believe he actually already said personal tax rates would be unchanged.
    Corp taxes to drop.

These guys never give the detail though. Is it on average, across the board or what?

Like the NDP too. Just airy fairy platform crap, yet they all pretend to be qualified to actually run government.

Cutting corporate income tax again? Why is every government racing to the bottom to give corporations a free ride? The huge tax cus in the US backfired.

Income taxes on the public are completely different than income taxes on corporations.

Your gross income is taxed and even if you spend all your money and can't pay your bills or rent, other than writeoffs, you still have to pay your taxes.

Corporations are taxed only on their profits. So they can pay their executives millions a year, spend money like crazy and if they just break even, they don't get taxed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12