Thread: Happy Harbor Comics closing

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Happy Harbor Comics closing

Just got an email from Jay stating that Happy Harbor Comics will be closing down as of Jan 31
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

This news will shock most of you and for the suddenness of it all, we do apologize. Shawna and I have been discussing this for some time and we've both felt it was time for us to do something different. We have been spoiled and are extremely grateful to have met hundreds of amazing people over the years who share our passion for this wonderful medium. We couldn't have asked for a better time of our lives.

It has been a long and often rewarding adventure but the world is full of adventures so, in the words of a famous little blonde-haired boy and his tiger, "Let's go exploring" - Jay
    So that's Jay's only explanation for why he's closing? I wonder if he thought of selling the business to his current employees?

That's terrible news. A real loss for Edmonton.

Talked to Jay today, and he's definitely done with retail and is eager to move onto other things. The upcoming west LRT construction was a factor since COE is acquiring the building they are renting. His staff was not in the best of moods but still pulling through like the troopers they are.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oh no... that means Day's Paints (Benjamin Moore) is affected as well. Wow, they've been in that location for a long, long, long time.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Why would the City be acquiring the building which BTW also houses the ONEPOT SIMMER as well as Day's Paints? It had been my understanding that the LRT ROW was able to be contained within the existing street width of 107 Street and 104 Avenue.

One of my son's first jobs was at Day's Paints, and I have been going there for all of my paint and supplies for many years. It's the closest thing there is to a hardware store right Downtown. Talking to the owner as recently as this summer, he thought relocation might be necessary. But I thought it was because of restricted or no access to the parking lots both front and back, not because of the loss of the building itself.

Happy Harbor Comics
    HH file customers (and all customers!) - HANG TIGHT!
    Major announcement tomorrow.
    Some may say it's a Christmas miracle...

Ha! Someone just messaged me that post 10 minutes ago.

But in the Journal article on Thursday:

Business was still stable for the downtown comic book destination that once had up to four locations across Edmonton at its peak in 2011, Bardyla said. Selling the brand didn’t seem a realistic option for the owners and letting it go completely would allow other businesses to pick up what they’re leaving behind.

“It’s best to let things go and then hope that … (other stores) all do little things to keep as much of the programs and policies that we’ve put in place alive,” he said.

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...rs-in-edmonton

HH LIVES ON!
    SAY HELLO TO WONDERLAND GAMES!

The media shared our story far and wide, catching the attention of a chain of Northern Alberta stores called Wonderland Games. The folks at Wonderland understand and appreciate the contributions Happy Harbor has made to the comics community.
    They want those contributions to continue.

On Wednesday afternoon, Vince Joyall, owner of Wonderland, called the store and expressed interest in purchasing Happy Harbor. That talk led to conversations with many people, a lot of number crunching and then to an unexpected but heartening call Thursday afternoon.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/HappyHarborComics/permalink/10157208417150139/

Will the signs change to Wonderland today?
    BTW the Admin may want to change the thread title.

New chapter for Happy Harbor Comics

Saturday marked the end of one chapter and start of another for an Edmonton comic book store.

Happy Harbor Comics announced in December it would soon be closing. A short while later, a Grande Prairie comic book chain stepped in to buy the nearly 20-year-old shop.

The owners, both new and old, celebrated with customers on Saturday at an all-day party that doubled as a fundraiser for the Edmonton Public Schools Foundation.

“We're not here to tarnish something,” said new owner Vincent Joyall. “We really do see it as a passing of the torch and a responsibility. We see it as a legacy that needs to live on.”

Wonderland Games owns locations in Grande Prairie and Prince George, B.C. When the sale was announced, former owner Jay Bardyla told CTV News he was happy to see Happy Harbor’s story carry on.

“Seeing that there are people that are like, ‘Yeah, I want to keep this going, I want to be a part of it, I want to help, you know, keep everything on the shelves, I want to make sure the community is still rewarded,’ that's good,” Bardyla said on Saturday.

The Edmonton store on 104 Avenue will be renamed Wonderland Games Edmonton, but a section of the store will remained dedicated to Happy Harbor.

I happened upon the party yesterday when I was next door at the Benjamin Moore store getting some paint. It was fairly busy, and I paid someone $15 to draw a B&W TARDIS for my son (the money goes to the Edmonton Public Schools Foundation). I briefly chatted with both Jay and Vincent. Seems like the new owners are going to do a great job with the space, but I suspect they'll move somewhere larger in the next few years; as SDM mentioned the building will be purchased by the city for the LRT expansion.

Also, I found out from Bob at Day's Paints that Gretzky used to own the building, then sold it to his business manager when he was traded to LA.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?