Thread: 100 years since the end of The War to End All Wars

Default 100 years since the end of The War to End All Wars

Commemoration of the end of World War One

'Thank you' to veterans: Vimy Ridge 1st stop on Trudeau's tour to mark 100 years since armistice

Dreary, damp skies and a chilling wind greeted the prime minister when he arrived off his overnight flight from Ottawa Saturday morning. But just as it was a century ago, Vimy Ridge remains a place for stoicism and national pride.

"You stand for the values upon which Canada was built, values like democracy, equality, justice and liberty. And what I can barely know, you will never forget," Trudeau told a half-dozen representatives of veterans' organizations following a wreath laying in the small cemetery on the memorial's grounds.

"From the very bottom of our hearts, thank you."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...vimy-1.4900636

Prince Harry prepares to lay a wreath before the England and New Zealand rugby match at Twickenham Stadium in London on November 10

A bagpiper plays from the tower of the World War I Australian National Memorial in Villers-Bretonneux, France on November 10. The memorial walls at the site bear the names of 11,000 Australian soldiers who died in France during the war.Francisco Seco/AP

A Canadian soldier attends the unveiling of a monument for Canadian World War I soldier George Lawrence Price in Le Roeulx, Belgium, on November 10. Price was the last Canadian soldier to die in World War I, shot just minutes before the armistice.Geert Vanden Wijngaert/AP

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau places a flower at a gravestone as he tours the Canadian Cemetery No. 2 near Vimy Ridge, France, on November 10.Adrian Wyld/AP

92 year old Queen Elizabeth II attending a ceremony to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI. She's also a WWII Veteran.