Thread: Alliance of American Football

Default Alliance of American Football

Since there's talk of some CFL guys being attracted to the AAF, I went to lok up what that league is supposed to be about, being quite skeptical after several attempts to create alternate football leagues to the CFL and NFL and American College system (Arena Football, USFL, and XFL, all with short lives).

There's lots in the Wikipedia link and quite little on the AAF site.

Alliance of American Football: https://aaf.com/
    Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allian...rican_Football

Some highlights:

The AAF was announced on March 20, 2018, by filmmaker Charlie Ebersol. The AAF will be overseen by former NFL general manager Bill Polian, former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and executive J.K. McKay. Advisers also include former Steelers receiver Hines Ward, former New York Giants and Oakland Raiders defensive end Justin Tuck, and Ebersol's father, retired NBC Sports executive (and co-founder of the short-lived XFL) Dick Ebersol.[1]
    The AAF plans to begin its inaugural, 10-week season on February 9, 2019.[1] The four-team playoff would be capped with the league's championship game at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, planned for the weekend of April 26–28.[12][13] If the AAF survives to reach its second season, it will find itself in direct competition with a revived XFL, which is announced to begin play in 2020.[14]
    8 teams: Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Tempe, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and San Diego. Salt Lake City can be pretty chilly in February and their stadium isn't covered. Stadiums range from 24k to 72k seats, all except Atlanta over 40k seats.

• 50 players per team
    • No TV timeouts and 60% fewer commercials, aiming for 150 minute games, 30 less than the NFL.
    • 2-point conversions on touchdowns
    • no kickoffs, initial plays start on the 25
    • 30-second play clock, 20 seconds shorter than the NFL
    • 2 coaches challenges per team are the only replays
    • games cannot end in a tie
    • all teams are owned by the league
    • LOTS of emphasis on digital delivery, social media, and analytics. CBS will broadcast the inaugural and championship games, while the bulk of the season will be live-streamed on CBS Sports Network, and broadcast on local stations.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

As much as it makes complete sense in present day to just completely drop special teams and kicking and returning (far less personnel required and its become more and more garbage time that just causes huge delays and rarely anything worth watching. (I feel sad being a former Gizmo fan saying this but the kick return game is dead in football, pretty much everywhere. The main drama being how far the kick flies and where the penalty is on the return.

But is tis funny the game is called football and the league is entirely removing the foot from the game. Try explaining to a young kid that this game too, is named football and doesn't involve feet like the other Football..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I think this league will have a buzz about it to begin with, but then the NFL will "borrow" their best ideas, and this league will become dead meat.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 06-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    As much as it makes complete sense in present day to just completely drop special teams and kicking and returning
    That's a terrible idea. In fact that's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.

Games are often decided by special teams. Both by adding points to the scoreboard (or missing the goalposts) or playing a major role in field position battles.

Not to mention there are still enough fake punts, onside kickoff attempts, blocked punts, and hundreds of yards worth of field position gained by good kick return teams. Teams that choose to gamble on 3rd (or 4th) down instead of kicking are major plays.

Its probably because I'm an Esks fan and we've been inept in all facets of special teams for decades that I've started to deplore these circumstances in which we lose field position and get penalized the very rare times we actually get a return.

But the other side is how interminably long it is, and how much of a delay it is each time a team has to kick in the CFL and largely because you have plenty of starters doing double duty on special teams. The Kicks, combined with the commercials make the game interminable. All worse in the CFl because you have one less down and so a game in which its a series of two and outs its virtually like watching paint dry. More so because hardly anything ever happens on returns. Its gotten to the point I just FF through Eskimos returns because why even bother ever watching. If you didn't watch a single Eskimos return all season you didn't miss ANYTHING. At the game it would be get a beer time. That's a sad state of affairs on where the CFL is today that a past fan of Gizmo is saying all this.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Well, the idea of getting rid of kick-offs is b/c that is apparently where an extraordinary percentage of concussions occur.

We'll see if the NFL not allowing players to run up with the kicker to the ball will have any impact.

I think kicking overall is an important part of the game, though I've finally changed my mind on the rouge and would vote to get rid of it.

I mean, you have to be really old ... err somewhat aged to remember the last time anyone actually kicked a football back out of the end zone with time running out to avoid giving up a point.
    ... gobsmacked

Its probably because I'm an Esks fan and we've been inept in all facets of special teams for decades that I've started to deplore these circumstances in which we lose field position and get penalized the very rare times we actually get a return.

But the other side is how interminably long it is, and how much of a delay it is each time a team has to kick in the CFL and largely because you have plenty of starters doing double duty on special teams. The Kicks, combined with the commercials make the game interminable. All worse in the CFl because you have one less down and so a game in which its a series of two and outs its virtually like watching paint dry. More so because hardly anything ever happens on returns. Its gotten to the point I just FF through Eskimos returns because why even bother ever watching. If you didn't watch a single Eskimos return all season you didn't miss ANYTHING. At the game it would be get a beer time. That's a sad state of affairs on where the CFL is today that a past fan of Gizmo is saying all this.

Yeah, the Eskimos special teams have made me cringe a lot over the last decade or so. The only year I remember them being really good was in 2015. But I think that's an Eskimos thing, not a CFL thing.

However, you do bring up something that has been annoying me for a while, which is that I think CFL games are too long by about 15-20 minutes. The NHL found a way to shorten pauses in between whistles (games used to go on for a lot longer than they do today). I wish the CFL would do the same. It would keep the game intensity up and maybe keep people's attention easier.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    I think kicking overall is an important part of the game, though I've finally changed my mind on the rouge and would vote to get rid of it.

I mean, you have to be really old ... err somewhat aged to remember the last time anyone actually kicked a football back out of the end zone with time running out to avoid giving up a point.

I do like that when a field goal is missed in the CFL, it's worth watching to see if the returner will take the knee or run it out of the end zone to avoid giving up the single point (which they do often enough to make missed field goals interesting).

I kind of hate that in the NFL when they miss a field goal the play is over.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

Yeah, the Eskimos special teams have made me cringe a lot over the last decade or so. The only year I remember them being really good was in 2015. But I think that's an Eskimos thing, not a CFL thing.

However, you do bring up something that has been annoying me for a while, which is that I think CFL games are too long by about 15-20 minutes. The NHL found a way to shorten pauses in between whistles (games used to go on for a lot longer than they do today). I wish the CFL would do the same. It would keep the game intensity up and maybe keep people's attention easier.
    Yep. My disregard to special teams is based on the Eskimos being so lousy at every facet of it for decades. But its the deplorable delays it causes every time a team punts or kicks. Which is fine by the league as it just gives them more chances to fill us up with the same commercials. Not sure but there seems to be more two and outs now and more punts than I remember and less ball control. If its an out of town game not involving the Esks and there's 3 two and outs in a row I just change the channel, can't even watch that.

But league wide returns are not nearly as exciting, not many TD returns these days and few decent gainers. Most times a good return is just called back for the flimsiest blocking or infraction. To the point I just expect to see flags flying on every return. Statistically the Esks might be better off with the fair catch rule than trying to return anything.

Because you'd be starting a missed FG return from the 15 row of the bleachers. I've always found it annoying that the NFL field goalposts are at the rear of the endzone. Apparently they moved them there in the mid 70's because they 'interfered' with the play at the goal line. Really? Funny how over 100 years of CFL they haven't interfered with the play to that extent. The goal line is the line at which scoring takes place. Period.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E SME

CFL end zones are what, double the size of an NFL end zone? I would imagine that plays in to things a wee bit when talking about obstruction from goal posts.

I think the NFL moved the goalposts to the backs of the end zones also to encourage teams to drive towards the goal line more to attempt more touchdowns. Because at that time too many teams were content with taking fewer offensive risks in the opponent's end of the field, because it was easy to get at least 3 points even if you get stopped. But when you have to go deeper downfield to even get 3 points, it encourages more touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Because you'd be starting a missed FG return from the 15 row of the bleachers. I've always found it annoying that the NFL field goalposts are at the rear of the endzone. Apparently they moved them there in the mid 70's because they 'interfered' with the play at the goal line. Really? Funny how over 100 years of CFL they haven't interfered with the play to that extent. The goal line is the line at which scoring takes place. Period.
    Goal posts have often enough interfered with passes to the endzone. That's something to consider. I like where the NFL goalposts are because it makes it that much more difficult to kick a FG. Bagging one from the 50yd line is thereby eliminated. Teams should earn the 3 pts.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

In the CFL they would be kicking 40 yard field goals when the line of scrimmage is the 13.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    In the CFL they would be kicking 40 yard field goals when the line of scrimmage is the 13.
    next you’ll have us believe some coach would do that on first down with less than three minutes to play and down by 9.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

^My, my, whoever would do that?

Btw, this is a case of we could have our cake and eat it too. Put the uprights at the back of the end zone, but built to extend out 15 yards in potential kicking situations.

Oh, and at the same time, get rid of the rouge.
    ... gobsmacked