Thread: Must try Millwoods!

Default Must try Millwoods!

haha, managing to post threads again. Thanks for the tech help to those that gave it.

Figured that since I'm not a DT resident and this is Edmonton, and Millwoods is in Edmonton I'd post up a thread on the hood.

Figure as well some more of you might get out here when the LRT arrives.

So heres some random reviews;

Glassy Liquor. East Indian Liquor store in strip mall just off 34st around 28th ave. Great prices for a small shop. Especially on such things as Indian Rum. Dark Monk for instance 25 bucks. Old Port east indies Rum at 26 (I heavily recommend) Both of these being much better than the standard Bacardi type swill.

Noodle Extreme Just north of MWTC. Great fare, large servings, will run you around 14 a plate but walk out sated. I like the Cashew Nut Chicken. They don't skimp on ingredients like so many stir fry places do.

I've heard good things about the Pizza and Spaghetti restaurant next to it but haven't gone as I'm Celiac.

Dil e Punjab. You want a place where the devouts go. here you will find, in a pocket strip mall just bordering Millwoods road east and 16th avenue possible the most affordable takeouts in all of Edmonton. 50 cent pakoras, 20bucks for a platter of delicious Tandoori Chicken, they thrown in Naan bread and salad with certain items. One thing though the staff are often careless. Confirm your order, they frequently leave something out, and sometimes mischarge. Know your prices and order check before you leave. But the place is BUSY. On special occasions there are lineups. Prices here are really affordable. We've spent 50bucks and had enough to feed 8 guests a banquet, easily.

Millwoods Library. Could be the best Library in the City right now as far as ambiance. Definitely nice looking, wouldn't want to see the heating bills though. But its conveniently located by the MWTC.

Meadows Rec Center. -Stunning facility, just beautiful. We have membership, very enjoyable facility, such a gift. There was a large Raven nest just outside in the rafters but now they have construction going on and they apparently removed it (sad) Anyway I don't know how anybody goes to other sweat shops anymore. Standard gyms are sweaty, poor air conditioning, crowded. The meadows work out areas, pool other facilities are expansive, you feel like you have room and always access to whatever training equipment you want. 10/10. Can't be better.

Jackie Parker park and Golf Course. Nice park, good spray park and exercise park for the kiddies (would be nice if they put in some adult outdoor work out stations in there. This park is beloved by residents and now heavily used. Picnics abound throughout the summer. Theres also a large dog run area, a small ravine to explore, and the Golf course is groomed and has lots of X country skiers and Snowshoe enthusiasts using it in the winter making it an all year facility. I will have to check out if friendly and inquisitve Wile E Coyote has had her family of pups in there or not. Be careful with dogs though. There are mature coyotes in the area. They should have some alerts in the dog run area. Should also mention how wondrous it is to be able to shelter from the wind in the little assorted golf huts along the golf course. Many a snack had there on our long runs. You can do miles in that park and area. Its HUGE. Nice view, can see all the way DT,entire southside from Millwoods Mountain

Millcreek ravine; Also, and the average Edmontonian has an astonishing lack of knowing this, but Millwoods (name, get it?) has a beautiful segments of Millcreek ravine albeit sadly chopped up by 5oth street and 34street and North by Whitemud and industrial area. Would be nice if contiguous but still very enjoyable ravine. Best parts accessed through 34st and some nice walking or mountain bike trails around. It also has the charm of some kid made (parent assisted) tree forts in the area. keep eyes on the lookout. Have seen Pileated woodpeckers here, ravens, crows, beavers, even a deer. Unfortunately a couple skunks, Coyotes as well. Mind your dogs in ravine. Many a guest of ours has been surprised that we can just walk to Millcreek ravine from where we live and have a wonderful stroll in the natural parkland. With some trail finding knowledge and meandering one can pick their way all the way from 34st to 50st as the ravine travels diagonally and is then cutoff by 5oth street and then extends to the Jackie Parker park. Wish there was a pedestrian overpass here.

Wetlands habitat. This is outside of Millwoods, but we cycle there often on the wonderful paved multiuse trail that goes all the way on 34st to 56ave. By bike we have to do a short jaunt through some industrial roads to reach the park area. By car there is an easy to miss pull out at 60ave and 34st with a parking area that always has open spaces. You can take a nice 2-3K stroll through the wetlands on paved or gravel trails, watch ducks, look for Coyotes, and its bordering a forested area that once was a small first nations settlement. Also tucked in there is remnants of a small homestead. I would caution though that there are also current residents, homeless, in the area but they have been quite friendly, not a disturbance, and inhabit the forested area in the summer. Really all of Edmonton is experiencing this. Some of these individuals are so pleasant they even put large cans for Cigarette stubs by the park benches so people (and they) don't litter. One of them even asked if I wanted a brown bag swig. I politely declined, said "No, I'm cycling, and the person said yeah but cycling is more fun after some drinks" we all laughed.
    When you get to the area of the Wetlands park way opposite 34st there are nice benches bordering the park and a farmers field. Here is a beautiful place to watch either a sunrise or sunset. Resplendent in color as well this time of year. Its very peaceful on those benches. You might not see one other user. You can also see DT from here and if on a bike can also cycle through dirt trail all the way to near Argyll area. I should mention this park is exceptional for roller bladers although I rarely see those now. Its nice and level, not tricky and anybody inexperienced could roller blade here quite easily.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-10-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Good on you Replace. I'm all in favour of some diversity of discussion (as in less DT and more about other hidden gems).

I happen to have a couple of friends who reside in different parts of Millwoods, so I have a bit of knowledge. I know, if you're a foodie, it's a great place for shopping!
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Good on you Replace. I'm all in favour of some diversity of discussion (as in less DT and more about other hidden gems).

I happen to have a couple of friends who reside in different parts of Millwoods, so I have a bit of knowledge. I know, if you're a foodie, it's a great place for shopping!
    Thanks

It really is, and not just East Indian food and grocers but several ethnicities represented. This fits me well because I've always loved cooking and trying new things.

This great parade is a block away from our doorstop every year.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...on-sikh-parade

Arrive hungry, you get to try out a lot of food and drink and its a joyous all day experience. Its a nice way to start the summer.

Millwoods also puts on a very enjoyable Canada Day celebration and more and more people every year are going to this one. We're able to walk to it as well although its a considerable walk.

I'll mention some different Establishments this time;

Shout out to Alices Produce on 34ave-82st. This place is better than H & W and also sells ethnic food staples in addition to very good prices on wide range of fruit and veggies.

McGavins discount bakery also a good cost cutter located just off 91st on 38Ave.

I have to of course mention Little India shopping area on 34th avenue west of 91st and no specifics but an interesting area to go to that a lot of Edmontonians would know little about. Endless shops to explore and you'd be amazed what you can buy and come away with. Much better deals than people would be familiar with for the same items.

Connected, spice. As in if you're a foodie the range of spices available and ground, fresh, whole, you name it, is spectacular. I have like 25 different spices that can go into a curry. A world of spice. Very affordable. I've walked into that "Spice road" store on Whyte Avenue and thought the prices there insane compared to what you can get here.

Millwoods is an interesting multicultural set of neigborhoods and with a somewhat unique layout and flavor. Each little strip mall encompasses its own little world and never far away. Our closest one 2 blocks and where we can buy many things close at hand.

Great neighborhood for cycling, walking, lots of Multiuse trails abound. Nice skate park by Millwoods Rec Center. Kids like that a lot. No shortage of outdoor and working out or exercising amenities. Also the Wave pool. We really have probably two of the best Rec Centers in the city in Millwoods and Meadows.

Tons of overflow lakes to explore that are excellent wetlands/ duck habitats. We invite guests to a different walk after dinner or lunch every time they come out here.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I lived in Mill Woods for a long time and hated it. It's far from everything, and everything in Mill Woods is far from everything else. Terrible transit, to boot. It's like living in a run-down version of Sherwood Park. Some people like it, though. To each their own, I guess.

Thing is, people think of Millwoods as a community league. It isn't. It's many different communities.

But, I get your transit point - for sure and hopefully to be made better by the Valley Line.

Also get, 'cause I once delivered pizza there in a different lifetime the road system is frustrating circles within circles.

Hrrm, like city planners would like to do to the rest of Edmonton ...
    ... gobsmacked

Cold pizza, eh? I'm out.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

LOL, the deal was, delivery within 20 minutes or you got it free. Never gave up a free za.

Did a lot of yelling out my car window mind you .....
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I lived in Mill Woods for a long time and hated it. It's far from everything, and everything in Mill Woods is far from everything else. Terrible transit, to boot. It's like living in a run-down version of Sherwood Park. Some people like it, though. To each their own, I guess.
    You mention Mill Woods is far from everything else and then you mention Sherwood Park which is outside of the city and outside of the Henday. I don't get that. If anything I have an easy time getting anywhere from where I am, a mile from the Henday.

Doesn't feel rundown to me either. I actually like living in a neighborhood where one does not feel required to follow established neighborhood protocol on how everything should look or that features a lot of new infill that contrasts with the age of the neighborhood. Mill Woods is a take it for what it is neighborhood that feels like home. I like the look of Sherwood Park but I would find transit to and out of Edmonton more difficult from there and I find the facilities can even be farther off. I also don't like that Sherwood park is an isolated island surrounded by freeways and highways. From a cyclist pov that does not feel friendly. Of course I don't like how close the neighborhood is to industrial areas. For me the main misgiving is not being closer to the River Valley. I would prefer that, but we have abundant parks, ravines, natural areas here as I've described. Probably because I haven't ever lived there I find things in Sherwood park harder to navigate and also due to no numbering of streets/avenues.

It was said that to get a map of the way out of Millwoods you had to buy a place there.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    You mention Mill Woods is far from everything else and then you mention Sherwood Park which is outside of the city and outside of the Henday. I don't get that.
    I meant that they are both far from everything else, but I don't think Mill Woods is as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    You mention Mill Woods is far from everything else and then you mention Sherwood Park which is outside of the city and outside of the Henday. I don't get that.
    I meant that they are both far from everything else, but I don't think Mill Woods is as nice.
    I like Festival Place in Sherwood Park. But I don't find the idea of being completely freeway locked by a couple highways and freeways and breathing air from the bordering industrial parks very nice. Sherwood Park might have some nice neighborhoods but the road designs and dependence on Edmonton or outlying areas and going out of town to work would be pretty meh. I find drivng around Sherwood park to be a bit weird. Its a small town overrun with highways. Not a particularly pleasant location. The one constant in Sherwood park is hearing highway drone, trains, or industrial noise. I think only Fort Saskatchewan would be worse. For air quality as well.

Also for decades anybody living in Sherwood Park that ever wanted any visitors had to draw careful maps to find their place as nobody ever could. I guess its better now with GPS but what a nightmare it was trying to find anywhere in Sherwood Park. Whenever I had a friend from there we would just meet up in Edmonton. I still can't figure out how anybody figured a town should be all names. Campbell Town as I recall.

Conversely Mill Woods is composed of simple concentric Neighborhood circles deviating from the Main concentric, larger, Mill Woods Road. Not as hard to figure out and numbered addresses can be given out that approximate any location. Here its just a matter of knowing a few names, not too many, and knowing where they are. Not difficult at all.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I find that trying to get anywhere in Millwoods even with their numbered streets to be a pain in the butt. Much like Sherwood Park . Looking at Google Maps I would say that Millwoods is as constricted by Freeways and major arteries to the same scale as Sherwood Park is.

The Mill Creek ravine cutting through Millwoods really does stand out.

I guess having to put up with the noise and air quality it is only fair that Strathcona County gets the tax revenue from the heavy industry located west of Sherwood Park.

Unrelated but looking at Google Maps that rail loading terminal between 34th St and 17th St is huge.

ALL of 34, 50, 86, 91, are ways that you can get out of Millwoods very safely as a cyclist. All have Multiuse trails that are quite helpful. 34ave and 23rd ave are also cyclist corridors with Multiuse trails to take all the way west. Try exiting Sherwood park on a bicycle. its taking your life in your hands.

I've cycled from Millwoods to Old Strathcona or DT or ravines or river valley network probably a thousand times. I wouldn't do that once emanating from Sherwood park which is completely freeway and highway landlocked. There is no way for cyclists to get out of there without using highways at their peril. Its never necessary for me to cycle on a highway and I can go as far as I want and to any part of the city. As a cyclist I would feel trapped into short excursions in Sherwood park and with a ton of traffic. Seems like all anybody does there is drive around. Sherwood Park is nice for walks, sucks for cycling.

The way I would cycle out of Sherwood Park is to travel north on Broadmoor Boulevard's multi use path to Petroleum Way and head west. It goes under the AHD just north of the Suncor refinery and then continue to 17 Street. Turn north on 17 Street for a few hundred meters and turn into science park/ski hill entrance and you end up down at the foot bridge that is just south of the Beverley Bridge. It is not a busy route.

^ that works okay if you live north of baseline road, or close to, not a very practical option for those in the southside of Sherwood Park, especially if you are heading to the southside of Edmonton, or even downtown.

I live south of baseline. That route takes you right to downtown. Not great for commuting to the south side.

right downtown after heading too far north. Very familiar with science park and petroleum way. Not the most direct route to downtown, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The way I would cycle out of Sherwood Park is to travel north on Broadmoor Boulevard's multi use path to Petroleum Way and head west. It goes under the AHD just north of the Suncor refinery and then continue to 17 Street. Turn north on 17 Street for a few hundred meters and turn into science park/ski hill entrance and you end up down at the foot bridge that is just south of the Beverley Bridge. It is not a busy route.
    Its an awful trip cycling through and around refinery row, is not at all direct or efficient. That trip just demonstrates how difficult it is to access from Sherwood park. I've always been a Cyclist, and Sherwood park was never going to be an option because of where it is and how its configured. About the best a cyclst could do is bite the bullet and risk life and limb and use Baseline or Sherwood park freeway. Terrible options, really.

Also, does Petroleum way even have decent lane space for a cyclist? Haven't been down it lately but I wouldn't enjoy that very much.

There's a multi-use path that goes from Science Park, and follows Petroleum way into Sherwood Park, and connects with the multi-use paths there.

To get out of millwoods, one needs to go through an industrial area too. Not like there's very easy ways to get out of millwoods either. Millwoods is completely hemmed in by freeways. Whitemud, Henday, Gateway Blvd + 91 street.

91st is a whole lot more pleasent trail than Sherwood park exit. plus that it links to Millcreek Ravine and other accesses. The Lrt construction has screwed things over on 34ave connection though. We should also have a dedicated Whitemud drive overpass. That would be nice.

If I had to do it over again from a Cycling/hiking pov I would live somewhere closer to the river like in Riverbend. But then I'd be screwed for rush hour driving traffic.

Traffic is never an issue in Mill Woods.

I'm familiar with Science Park as well. Used to take some of those trails years ago when I was doing the whole River Valley trail circuits. I even remember when the Science park was open.