Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,012 of 1012

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E SME

heh, apparently Nicholson said at one of the season seat holder events today that a big part of the reason the Oilers didn't make the playoffs this season is that Rieder didn't score 15 goals. That's got to be one of the dumbest statements he could possibly have made. I have zero faith in his ability to manage hockey ops, at this point. And given how badly he botched the Chiarelli hiring and basically everything else the last 5 years, it's a fair question as to why he's not following him out the door.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Could the Oilers be the least progressive organization in the NHL at this point?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E SME

I don't know if it's about being conservative/progressive. No one would call Lou Lamoriello progressive; he's basically Mr Burns yelling at Mattingly to shave those sideburns (he hates facial hair on his players, although I'm not sure if he still bans it or not). Yet he in the past few years he managed to be a big part of turning around both the Maple Leafs and the Islanders.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm sure free agents will be ringing Bobby Nicks' phone off the hook to come play here with that type of ringing endorsement.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    heh, apparently Nicholson said at one of the season seat holder events today that a big part of the reason the Oilers didn't make the playoffs this season is that Rieder didn't score 15 goals. That's got to be one of the dumbest statements he could possibly have made. I have zero faith in his ability to manage hockey ops, at this point. And given how badly he botched the Chiarelli hiring and basically everything else the last 5 years, it's a fair question as to why he's not following him out the door.
    so let me get this straight...

so rieder's 11 points for 2 million on a 1 year contract is a big part of the reason but lucic's 18 points for 7 million on a 7 year contract (with a 6 million cap hit) and 50% more ice time isn't?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Should probably re-sign him to give it another try and give a huge raise Chaisson cause he banged in 20 goals.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I'm sure free agents will be ringing Bobby Nicks' phone off the hook to come play here with that type of ringing endorsement.
    Yup, this is exactly right. I would imagine it's well known that the organization is a gong show, and that kind of a comment WILL make it's way to free agents when evaluating teams. I'd love to have a conversation with some player agents and listen to how bad the team's reputation is among them. At least in terms of how players are treated/thrown under the bus. On the other hand, I'm sure agents themselves LOVE the organization, in light of the boneheaded contracts it's all too willing to hand out.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So the Oilers would only be -28 to -26 in the goals for/against. Only 28 more gold needed.

I bet that makes Reider feel great...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

Maybe Nicholson could blame the defense for failing to move the puck out, or McDavid and Draisaitl for defensive mistakes, or Koskinen for giving up bad goals. We win and lose as a team.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wonder who recommended to Katz to hire Nicholson? His buddy Kevin Lowe no doubt. So then Nicholson goes out an hires a coach and GM who both turn out to be duds. Rinse...lather... repeat...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011