Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E SME

Ah, thanks James, I'd forgotten about Spooner's retention.

C2E SME

I think the two trades GM Gretzky has made are better returns than the ones Chiarelli has made.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Chia's last five:

Wideman + 3rd round pick --> a few months of Alex Petrovic
    Drake Caggiula --> Brandon Manning
    6th round pick --> Wideman
    Strome --> Spooner
    Jerabek --> 6th round pick

Basically only one fine trade in the bunch (cashing in Jerabek for a minor asset). Three of those trades could be fairly called very bad or worse.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E SME

Looks like Puljujarvi isn’t dressed tonight. I wonder if he’ll be traded.

Hopefully sent to Bakersfield, I do not believe they will trade him.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I forgot all about the game. I didn't miss much.

Well, there's 24 games left. Anything can happen but 1 W in 11 games? Uggh
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Basically only one fine trade in the bunch (cashing in Jerabek for a minor asset). Three of those trades could be fairly called very bad or worse.
    His tenure with the Oilers will go down as one of the worst in the modern NHL. It's that bad.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I forgot all about the game. I didn't miss much.

Well, there's 24 games left. Anything can happen but 1 W in 11 games? Uggh
    We forgot as well..I'm glad we weren't alone.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just some thoughts: Too soon to tell but Gagner's better days are behind him. Band aid solution? Not sure of the details but did Gagner play last night?

Gangner could be a game changer but most likely kind of like another Brodziak type deal. I think the Strome for Spooner is like trading the bad after the bad.

Can Dallas Eakins be far behind?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Just some thoughts: Too soon to tell but Gagner's better days are behind him. Band aid solution? Not sure of the details but did Gagner play last night?

Gangner could be a game changer but most likely kind of like another Brodziak type deal. I think the Strome for Spooner is like trading the bad after the bad.
    Gagner played very well last night even though he was stuck most of the time on a line of Cave and Rieder who collectively have zero goals. He set up Cave 3 times in front of the net and of course Colby couldn't finish.

Gagner in the first period made a very good play where skated back to D line, stayed onside, drew the D coverage and filtered a perfect pass shot on goal. Colby had a perfect rebound staring at him and couldn't cash.

Gagner fed Rieder, and also worked the 2nd PP unit better than its looked in months. To a degree that Spooner couldn't. On one play Gagner gets the puck and a quick shot on goal creates chaos and a good rebound.

Gagner god one shift with McD and fed him a breakout pass with Connor getting stripped from behind by the D.

For a tired Sam Gagner this was quite a good night of work. He even contributed to the RNH goal, and had about 5 shifts with RNH.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

As far as Strome-Spooner-Gagner trade path Strome is better defensively and Sam is better offensively.

Columbus used Sam Gagner quite effectively just a couple seasons ago and Sam got a 50pt season.

The thing is Gagner brings some offensive talent which ironically is in short supply now. I say ironically because prior to Chiarelli dismantling this club its talent pool was deep enough to make Gagner expendable. Now the team needs a Gagner, go figure.

In anycase Sam Gagner is night and day better than the current version of Spooner.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for that. I keep cheering for Reider. At some point Reider will score, maybe with a better team.

Gagner has always been a fan favorite in this household.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sekera recalled from the Condors just now
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Thanks for that. I keep cheering for Reider. At some point Reider will score, maybe with a better team.

It’s strange as Reider was the leading scorer on the Kitchener Rangers with 42 goals and 42 assists and accolades in the OHL upon leaving. Maybe he needs a hypnotist to bring that back.

Oilers put Manning on waivers. Can't imagine any team will take him; no org is as stupid as the Edmonton Oilers.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

It’s strange as Reider was the leading scorer on the Kitchener Rangers with 42 goals and 42 assists and accolades in the OHL upon leaving. Maybe he needs a hypnotist to bring that back.
    And Jason Bonsignore was going to be the next Mario Lemieux, based on his junior career. Some guys can translate that success to the NHL, some can't, and some are late bloomers or the NHL just suits their game better. Guys who excel in one particular area can dominate in junior, even if they're mediocre elsewhere. That doesn't fly in the NHL.

Rieder's a great skater, blew everyone's doors off in the OHL, and that helped cover up his other deficiencies. But he's got poor hands and doesn't seem able to get to scoring areas, even if he's fast. This year he's not actually all that far off his career numbers in terms of points. He's a 25-30 point guy, and in a little over half a season he's got 10 points. A few more bounces and breaks going his way and he'd be right where you'd expect him to be. The problem is expecting him to be anything more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Oilers put Manning on waivers. Can't imagine any team will take him; no org is as stupid as the Edmonton Oilers.
    Was this ever anything but a troll move with Chiarelli trying to expedite his own firing because he just wanted out after destroying our roster?

Not only were three the Ramifications with McDavid and Manning and it was ridiculous from the start that Manning was acquired for that reason alone. But Manning isn't even a capable NHL player and McD was put in a difficult spot of having him in the room.

Finally, we lose Caggiulia flat out for somebody that was never going to help the club in any way. Cagg fittingly scored a goal against us in the only game we've played the hawks since.

C2E SME

I think it might be better to bury Manning's contract in Bakersfield for a year.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789