Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

C2E SME

Default Edmonton Oilers 2018/19 Season

The Oilers are about to start Training Camp, and are a little less than a month away from the NHL season.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

Getting a little concerned that Nurse isn't signed yet. They don't have the depth to start the season without him, and it would be best if he doesn't miss any or all of training camp.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Benson and Jones have been knocking it out of the park thus far.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Benson is a star, think Hall Jr.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Before we get too excited think of the level of competition they faced last night. I do think Benson is going to be an NHL player there is a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Benson is a star, think Hall Jr.
    I think you could be drunk.

Benson, good chance he never even makes the NHL or sticks for more than a cup of coffee.

Basically anything from him pales even in comparison to a Ty Rattie.

Caleb Jones is probably the best looking prospect in these games so far. He's my darkhorse to make noise.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement

Why are you comparing players 5 years apart in drafting/development/age? Are you saying that Benson currently pales in comparison to present day Rattie, who is 5 years older? Or Rattie when he was the same age as Benson currently is? Because if you're comparing their current selves to each other, that makes little sense given the big difference in age.

Interestingly enough, they were drafted in the exact same position in the draft. Benson's numbers in junior weren't as big as Rattie's, but Benson also spent most of his late teens getting operated on, so it's really hard to say what kind of player he's capable of becoming. He was a phenomenal prospect in his junior draft year, but he also physically matured extremely early, so that might be part of why he lit up Bantam hockey.

I haven't seen Benson play at all, so I can't really comment much on him. But Rattie is a known quantity at this point: an offense only guy who has been tossed aside by a couple NHL teams. Maybe he's finally figured it out, but I doubt he'll be with the team in a year. He's never put up particularly great numbers in the AHL.

Josh Morrissey signs with Winterpeg for a 2-year $3.15M deal - that should get the Nurse deal done sooner than later since Morrissey was one of their big comparables.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement

Why are you comparing players 5 years apart in drafting/development/age? Are you saying that Benson currently pales in comparison to present day Rattie, who is 5 years older? Or Rattie when he was the same age as Benson currently is? Because if you're comparing their current selves to each other, that makes little sense given the big difference in age.

Interestingly enough, they were drafted in the exact same position in the draft. Benson's numbers in junior weren't as big as Rattie's, but Benson also spent most of his late teens getting operated on, so it's really hard to say what kind of player he's capable of becoming. He was a phenomenal prospect in his junior draft year, but he also physically matured extremely early, so that might be part of why he lit up Bantam hockey.

I haven't seen Benson play at all, so I can't really comment much on him. But Rattie is a known quantity at this point: an offense only guy who has been tossed aside by a couple NHL teams. Maybe he's finally figured it out, but I doubt he'll be with the team in a year. He's never put up particularly great numbers in the AHL.
    I'm saying Rattie was twice as good a junior prospect. Rattie was a star player in the WHl, one of the best. Benson didn't even distinguish in Juniors. Benson was a phenom in Bantam, not recently.

Why would I be comparing the current selves? I'm comparing what they were out of Junior as an illustration of how tough the NHL is.

At best at this stage Benson is an AHL player. So many injuries before age 18 commonly sideline player careers and dreams. Which has been big storyline with Benson. One can't wish away the injury history and how much that has cost Benson, It is what it is, his career is probably flatlined because of it.

but even when Benson wasn't injured in last Junior Season his numbers were still non stellar. Nothing close to Rattie peak in junior.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

It's still an odd comparison to make. Rattie has, as far as I know, been healthy since he graduated junior and has done nothing much to distinguish himself. It's nice that he was a great player in junior, but that's 5 years behind him. We know he's a mediocre AHL player who had a little over a dozen decent games with the best player on the planet. Benson, on the other hand, has not had a single healthy season since he joined junior, essentially. We know what Rattie is capable of in the AHL and to a lesser extent the NHL: not much. We don't know much of anything about Benson at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It's still an odd comparison to make. Rattie has, as far as I know, been healthy since he graduated junior and has done nothing much to distinguish himself. It's nice that he was a great player in junior, but that's 5 years behind him. We know he's a mediocre AHL player who had a little over a dozen decent games with the best player on the planet. Benson, on the other hand, has not had a single healthy season since he joined junior, essentially. We know what Rattie is capable of in the AHL and to a lesser extent the NHL: not much. We don't know much of anything about Benson at this point.

Disagree. Much more value in Rattie imo. Some players just get a raw deal sometimes, it happens. Rattie looks like a good pickup and I just mentioned him because at this level he's showing he can play and even on a topline. The only thing might be better at is in two way play. But my take is Benson continues to have injury misfortune.

Not sure why you think Rattie won't be capable of much. the Oilers are featuring him on topline and so presently think different.

If I'm a GM I specifically scour the NHL, AHL, world, for players that are good but just didn't stick. The Oilers did that with Rattie, Gravel, Jerabek, and those guys are ready to unpack and are developed. As much stead as drafting gets, in a cap environment the players that you manage to find that have been discarded or cut can be good pieces. In the case of Gravel mostly just a numbers game in LA and crohns which from reports has gone a lot better for Gravel. The point being the #8 D in LA is easily good enough to make our squad.

C2E SME

Nurse signs 2-year, $6.4 M contract.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Awesome. That's what we needed in terms of his salary.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but it would also be awesome if it's a reflection of his own assessment of the blue line depth in camp and not wanting to lose ground by holding out and giving them more exposure and time to establish themselves. which would be good news if true and better news if it turns out to be accurate.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Perfect. Package him and Sekera to Ottawa for Mark Stone. Cripes this GM'ing is easy.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Great news. Think Darnell can really turn into a solid D that forwards won't take lightly! (as in dish out some truly Hellacious yet legal hits).
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but it would also be awesome if it's a reflection of his own assessment of the blue line depth in camp and not wanting to lose ground by holding out and giving them more exposure and time to establish themselves. which would be good news if true and better news if it turns out to be accurate.
    Try making this post again, this time in understandable English.

C2E SME

The Oilers looked good in Vancouver tonight. They attacked better, and came back to defend.

Ty Rattie with a fantastic game. Him and Talbot were the best Oilers hands down. Rattie scored 2 goals including a brilliant strip of the backing D and went in and beat the d an Nillson.

The D the Oil dressed last night weren't any good. Jerabek looked passable. Garrison had a rough outing. Jones is high risk both ways. Had his worst game of the preseason, really looked shaky, but then scores on a very good move to the slot.

I so much more enjoy seeing Nillson when he is in some other net. Good riddance.

Outside of Benning, can't see any of the D that played getting regular time this year.
    Klefbom - Larsson
    Nurse - Benning
    Russell - Bouchard
    ?? Not sure the kid is ready.

Talbot looked good, thankfully, Pulju much more concise and decisive with the puck as well.

^Well... Russell was on the ice last night as well.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^^^
    think about holding out longer for more money...
    look at those vying for blueline spots.
    assess their skills and talent.
    decide holding out gives them too much opportunity to prove their worth.
    sign and return to camp to defend a spot and prove your own worth instead.
    wishful thinking on my part?
    maybe, but good news if that assessment of skills and talent was made like that and better news if that skill and talent assessment turns out to be accurate.
    better?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^Well... Russell was on the ice last night as well.
    Ah right you are. Russell and Benning then.

So tonight’s game says TSN3. It shows it’s on but THE SCHEDULED PROGRAM IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA. What a **** off.

It's on SHAW channel 351 - "Oilers TV"

Not on Telus. Oilers blackout channel is well black.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

TSN has the broadcast rights in Manitoba for the Jets. So anyone outside their territory gets blackout.

I don't have HD so I can't get it on SHAW. But if you do, I believe Centre Ice is free for the pre-season.

I have to rely on Jack and Bob on CHED to follow the game.

Tonight's game? Win.
    Rattie was the star along with Nuge and McJesus.

C2E Continued Contributor

While not the ideal way to watch, most pre-season stuff can be streamed on the Oilers website.

That first line with McDavid, Nuge, and Rattie is looking pretty decent.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Puljujarvi is playing well too. That goal he scored was amazing. I like Koskinen. At 6.7" this guy's a horse.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

A few views on the team.

Lucic can't possibly be as bad as he was last season (or can he)

Talbot looks back to 16-17 form. Very sharp, anticipating well.

McD looks to be invoking "god mode" mejesus wasn't enough..

Drai, only one game, but doesn't look fresh. I heard he was working on having more energy but didn't see much of it

Pulju is definitely playing better.

Rattie, as I expected, was a solid addition to the team. He's continuing where he left off and then some.

Gravel, Garrison, Jerabek give us other options. I suspect two will make the team, I think Gravel is the best option.

Koskinen- Don't really like this one too much for what we are paying the backup. He'll have good games and others where you wonder about the pricetag.

In anycase the Oilers improved, but is it enough, and other WC teams improved as well.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ...Lucic can't possibly be as bad as he was last season (or can he)...

A Rod Blackism!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    In anycase the Oilers improved, but is it enough, and other WC teams improved as well.

Really ?

Where ?

From what Top_Dawg sees it's the same ol' overpriced and overtermed slugs that finished twenny points out of the playoffs last year.

Just desperately hoping that McDavid performs two or three miracles every night.