Thread: motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

Tonight the motorcycle noise is a constant almost unbearable barrage.
    This evening, as usual, there are hordes of under-endowed troglodytes who constantly travel around in gangs and let their hogs rip out a racket that could flatter a deaf man.
    I've heard these toys bellowing away until 2 AM - and that's on a work/school night!
    The vehicle noise enforcement can't come soon enough.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    This evening, as usual, there are hordes of under-endowed troglodytes who constantly travel around in gangs and let their hogs rip out a racket that could flatter a deaf man.
    I've heard these toys bellowing away until 2 AM - and that's on a work/school night!
    “hordes of under-endowed troglodytes”

You’ve studied troglodyte endowment?

"You've studied troglodyte endowment?"

Might be related to this?
    https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-thing-704846/
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Could you at least search out any of the past 10 threads on this and put the drivel there instead of spamming this first world city problem endlessly here? In the western world there are probably less motorcycles and motorcycle noise per capita than anywhere. Could you imagine living in a city of 15M people where motorcycles or scooters were a predominant form of transportation? This is such a nonexistent problem here its incredible.

You live in a city right? Imagine their being noise, oh the horror.

Unbearable? lmao

Are you OK, still with us? Did you survive?
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-09-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's worse in the suburbs, and not only bikes, also cars and trucks with fart cans. It's most disturbing because most of the time it's nice and quiet, until the dbag drives by revving around. It's the sudden change from quiet to loud that makes it so much worse, and wakes up the baby every goddamned time...

So much for supposed exhaust noise limits. I had a neighbor long ago who was swearing up a storm as he was chipping away at his exhaust on his loud motorcycle. Somebody had filled his exhaust pipes with expanding foam insulation that expands and then hardens. Looking back, it was a brilliant solution! Not sure if he got it all out, or changed the pipes back to stock pipes, but I do know he never ripped around the neighborhood again lol

Live in the suburbs and never bothered by it. Rather than become angry about motorcycle noise I just reflect that somebody is enjoying being on a bike and having the wind in their face. I don't drive a motorcycle, and only did for a very brief time, but enough I guess to know its enjoyable.

On some nights we get the Henday hum of trucks on the highway, seems to only occur some nights, other night you can barely hear it. Wind conditions or whatever. Its surprisingly quiet here. even with the occasional noises. I find it more disruptive is if a neighbor is having some back yard gathering and drunks yahooing to the middle of the night (they actually yahoo) But it doesn't bother me too much either. shut the window and any aggravation is done. Only time noise bothers me is If I'm camping in our tent trailer and some people are partying all night. Not supposed to be allowed after 11 but is allowed all the time.

In any dwelling with walls I'm not sure how noise is bothering people so much.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Heh, when I lived in an apartment downtown there was a guy with a suped-up civic that lived one building over. I could hear him leave his place and drive around the area, then back home, all with my windows closed. He was cleared a drug dealer, as he would leave his place sometimes 10-15 times a day, and he was back home within 10 mins.

So, no, living in a dwelling with walls doesn't prevent you from the noise of a modified vehicle.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Live in the suburbs and never bothered by it. Rather than become angry about motorcycle noise I just reflect that somebody is enjoying being on a bike and having the wind in their face. I don't drive a motorcycle, and only did for a very brief time, but enough I guess to know its enjoyable.

On some nights we get the Henday hum of trucks on the highway, seems to only occur some nights, other night you can barely hear it. Wind conditions or whatever. Its surprisingly quiet here. even with the occasional noises. I find it more disruptive is if a neighbor is having some back yard gathering and drunks yahooing to the middle of the night (they actually yahoo) But it doesn't bother me too much either. shut the window and any aggravation is done. Only time noise bothers me is If I'm camping in our tent trailer and some people are partying all night. Not supposed to be allowed after 11 but is allowed all the time.

A great example of tolerance.

I find that a lot of people speak of how tolerant they are of others’ differences (“race”, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc) but then behave just as badly as racists in attacking less politically correct differences such as those with behavioural differences. Additionally, attempting to negatively label an entire group of people with a common condition, belief of behaviour, as with labelling blacks with the “n-word”, is pretty low.
    Last edited by KC; 07-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Fine for you that it doesn't bother you. Try saying that when it wakes up a baby every time it happens.
    Another reason we're considering going out to an acreage. Police aren't doing their jobs enforcing this.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post

Fine for you that it doesn't bother you. Try saying that when it wakes up a baby every time it happens.
    Another reason we're considering going out to an acreage. Police aren't doing their jobs enforcing this.
    Acreage problems are much more serious than noise. When you wake up to somebody doing a B & E or stealing stuff or worse intentions that's a lot more than noise. With the way things have gotten I would not want to live out in the Country any more where police often times don't even show up. You haven't been up on the news?

Yeah, would be harder with a baby but babies seem to wake up to a lot of stimulus. I recommend radiohead and earphones. For the baby... jk

Have you ever tried one of those whitenoise solutions that are ambient sound and block out other noises? For some that's a solution.

I find hotels a lot noisier. I like a seashore tape, waves coming in, seagulls etc. relaxes me hearing the lapping waves when other guests are pounding the walls and being elephants..

I believe you’re describing the nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I find that a lot of people speak of how tolerant they are of others’ differences (“race”, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc) but then behave just as badly as racists in attacking less politically correct differences such as those with behavioural differences. Additionally, attempting to negatively label an entire group of people with a common condition, belief of behaviour, as with labelling blacks with the “n-word”, is pretty low.
    heh, thanks. Not every day here I'm described as tolerant. But I do like to be live and let live wherever I am. As much as humanly possible. I probably don't convey that online as much being that my opinionated side comes out more online.

A story here. When in Toronto, (this sounds like an add) we used to stay at the Selby hotel, the old Hemingway haunt. Yeah, Ernest. For decades it was a rundown place, area, but cheap like borsht. There was a nightclub adjacent that had outdoor parties till 3-4am every night in the back. LOUD, even in your room. You got used to it because the weekly rate was 275bucks (the price of one day anywhere else in DT Toronto) so we learned to love it. Even though we were older than the revelers we were invited to check out the parties. Lots of LGBTQ, Rave kind of crowd. knowing what kind of fun those people were having, really absolute celebrations, it of course transformed ones view of it. The first while it could be perceived as annoying noise. After that it was added atmosphere that just made you feel like being in a vibrant city. The fun was harmless. it was only noise, no risk, no threat to it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-09-2018 at 12:42 PM.

heh, thanks. Not every day here I'm described as tolerant. But I do like to be live and let live wherever I am. As much as humanly possible. I probably don't convey that online as much being that my opinionated side comes out more online.

A story here. When in Toronto, (this sounds like an add) we used to stay at the Selby hotel, the old Hemingway haunt. Yeah, Ernest. For decades it was a rundown place, area, but cheap like borsht. There was a nightclub adjacent that had outdoor parties till 3-4am every night in the back. LOUD, even in your room. You got used to it because the weekly rate was 275bucks (the price of one day anywhere else in DT Toronto) so we learned to love it. Even though we were older than the revelers we were invited to check out the parties. Lots of LGBTQ, Rave kind of crowd. knowing what kind of fun those people were having, really absolute celebrations, it of course transformed ones view of it. The first while it could be perceived as annoying noise. After that it was added atmosphere that just made you feel like being in a vibrant city. The fun was harmless. it was only noise, no risk, no threat to it.
    Camped in BC once not knowing that the campground was full of mostly seniors for some music jamboree. Wild as could be. Sleep was repeatedly interrupted by the carousing seniors. We survived.

That's fine and dandy (the bold text). But do motorcyclists need to enjoy the breeze in their face along with 110 decibels of Harley?

Lots of folks like to sit on their deck and have a quiet, mellow evening. So nice to enjoy a summer breeze along with conversation with your friends. Then in the middle of your wife's story....BREAHHHHHHHHZZZZZZ!!!!

I live on Whyte ave. near Bonnie Doon Mall. It's annoying trying to watch a TV program and be interrupted by 20 sec. of Harley a few times an hour. I guess I should close my window when it's 28 Celsius to muffle the noise pollution. My bad for depriving a weekend warrior a summer breeze on their face.

You should have heard Whyte last night. Complete idiots tearing up and down the ave between 6 and 7, so I assume it got worse later on. I watched one guy on a Harley with a woman on the back weaving in and out of traffic while blasting his pipes. What a *****.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

For anyone who thinks it's "only 2 seconds" and no big deal, it’s for safety, it's neither only or 2 seconds or for safety.

It's not unusual for it to be 12 or 15 seconds, not 2, and it's not unusual for it to be 12 or 15 seconds every 10 or 12 minutes hour after hour after hour. And it's just as true - and even more annoying - when it's 2 o'clock in the morning and there's not another soul on the road to make other drivers take notice “for the safety of the rider”. It's gear down and take a run up the hill just to see how much noise they can make.

As for that safety “loud pipes save lives” crap, giving it the benefit of a doubt, it's maybe 2% "safety” but isn't that what horns are for? After all, it's up to them as much as the other driver to pay attention to what’s going on around them and the more noise they’re making the less they can hear what else is going on around them. It’s 49% "look at me, aren't I cool?" and 49% "listen to me, don't you love that sound as much as I do?".

The only nice thing I can think about the first snow-fall that will be here all too soon is "at least I don't have to listen to that again until the spring". And for what it's worth, some of their four-wheel brethren's machines are no better and just as intrusive.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E SME

I'm a motorcylist. "Loud pipes save lives" is total and utter BS in absolutely every respect.

I have a car that can be as loud as 115dB on the racetrack, but I drive it such that it is within limits and have a silencer. I am completely fed up with bikes and any other vehicle that purposely drives like a jackass anywhere in the city, but in particular along Jasper and Whyte.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

In terms of noise, electricity driving vehicles will make the world so much nicer to live in but it’s done the opposite by driving amps and speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I'm a motorcylist. "Loud pipes save lives" is total and utter BS in absolutely every respect.
    Picking up a bit on KC's post above, in conjunction with yours Marcel, maybe electric bikes will come with throbbing synthesized 'loud pipes'. You know, for safety.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Funny how some riders are adamant about loud pipes saving lives but are dressing in ways that make them less visible. Makes me question how much they care about safety compared to how much they care about appearance.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I can't help but note the errant focus of a thread like this on a board like this. In the EJ this weekend an excellent article on biker gang violence, decades of murders, gang wars, and with Edmonton and area being a hotbed of activity, one of the worst infested biker gang cities in the Nation.

THOSE are the bikers that bother me. With several hundred corollary drug od deaths due to the trafficking of subtsances like opioids by biker gangs. When they aren't stepping on product and cutting it.

A biker can be as loud as they want on their bike and it doesn't bother me. Having gang infestation in this city, is always what bothers me.

Only citing this because what concerns get expressed, and what don't, are really odd to me.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

to be fair i believe this is the first time you’ve raised or posted that issue as well.

not to say it isn’t an issue but you have the same ability to start a new thread/topic on anything that concerns you as everyone else...

I can't help but note the errant focus of a thread like this on a board like this. In the EJ this weekend an excellent article on biker gang violence, decades of murders, gang wars, and with Edmonton and area being a hotbed of activity, one of the worst infested biker gang cities in the Nation.

THOSE are the bikers that bother me. With several hundred corollary drug od deaths due to the trafficking of subtsances like opioids by biker gangs. When they aren't stepping on product and cutting it.

A biker can be as loud as they want on their bike and it doesn't bother me. Having gang infestation in this city, is always what bothers me.

Only citing this because what concerns get expressed, and what don't, are really odd to me.
    Heh, you don't think there would be any crossover between bikers with loud pipes and bikers in gangs?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Picking up a bit on KC's post above, in conjunction with yours Marcel, maybe electric bikes will come with throbbing synthesized 'loud pipes'. You know, for safety.
    Actually, the silence of electric vehicles IS a concern for pedestrians: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-electric-cars

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull
    Funny how some riders are adamant about loud pipes saving lives but are dressing in ways that make them less visible. Makes me question how much they care about safety compared to how much they care about appearance.

This is very true. I read about one massive study of hundreds of thousands of motorcycle accidents, and it was very clear that certain colors of riding gear and motorcycle were more or less likely to be involved in an accident. My first bike, helmet and jacket were all black. After reading that, the next jacket I got was red (red and yellow were safest, black and white least safe) and I figured I may as well get a red Ducati too. Purely for safety, of course.

Yet the "loud pipes save lives" brigade continue to be clad in almost all black. Funny, that.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    All will be good. Our wearable tech will jolt us with electric shocks as quiet vehicles approach. Minimally endowed troglodyte drivers will augment their driver experience by upgrading to “orgasmatron” options added to their electric bike seats etc. The mobile version of this:
    Sleeper - The Orgasmatron
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isrd7E5nzIQ

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^

to be fair i believe this is the first time you’ve raised or posted that issue as well.

not to say it isn’t an issue but you have the same ability to start a new thread/topic on anything that concerns you as everyone else...
    On the contrary I can't start threads here as I've mentioned several times as the site interface only works for me on standard editor format, which does not allow me to start threads. I've mentioned the biker issue countless times and I have in presentations I do as well. People aren't much interested in that for some reason.

Theres some that even still hang onto the belief that drug use is victimless crime.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

Heh, you don't think there would be any crossover between bikers with loud pipes and bikers in gangs?

Most biker gangs try to keep a low profile when not involve in their actual criminal activities and drug running. This is not your dads Hell's Angels. In this era, and country they don't go out of their way looking for attention. You don't tend to see as many of the mass runs these days and when you do its in sufficient numbers to be unstoppable.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I can't start threads here as I've mentioned several times as the site interface only works for me on standard editor format, which does not allow me to start threads...
    are you sure that's the issue? i can change my general setting to "standard editor" and still go to a [sub]forum - ie rants which is where this thread is - and successfully click the "+post new thread" button where i then get a text box to type what i want and a subject line which would become the name of the new thread in that [sub]forum...
    Last edited by kcantor; 10-09-2018 at 03:04 AM.

I can't start threads here as I've mentioned several times as the site interface only works for me on standard editor format, which does not allow me to start threads...
    are you sure that's the issue? i can change my general setting to "standard editor" and still go to a [sub]forum - ie rants which is where this thread is - and successfully click the "+post new thread" button where i then get a text box to type what i want and a subject line which would become the name of the new thread in that [sub]forum...
    Seems to work fine for me as well. Also score as I didn't know the Standard Editor thing existed and I hate the WYSIWG editor.

But you are not experiencing the user platform conflict that I am and so that simply switching may be different for you as you did not have the limiting conflict in the first place. . I don't even have a "post new thread" button to use. Nor can I bold, hilite, quote, change font etc.

Also, if I don't use standard editor any attempts to post freeze, all of them. They just hang, they do not load. I realize some of you might like that..

But you are not experiencing the user platform conflict that I am and so that simply switching may be different for you as you did not have the limiting conflict in the first place. . I don't even have a "post new thread" button to use. Nor can I bold, hilite, quote, change font etc.

Also, if I don't use standard editor any attempts to post freeze, all of them. They just hang, they do not load. I realize some of you might like that..
    If you don't me asking, what platform are you on that's causing the problem? Mostly professional interest on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

If you don't me asking, what platform are you on that's causing the problem? Mostly professional interest on my part.

This is where I run into difficulty. I'm not the greatest at resolving computer difficulties and not overly tech proficient. In fact I remember selecting standard editor somewhere and now can't remember how I did that. I just selected mobile platform a moment ago to see and that's even worse.

My main problem could even be lacking any corollary platform loads. For instance if theres any image loads that require another update, program, or codec or something.

I have this problem whether I use Chrome or Edge browsers.

Simply put I have no dialog control box. Which is irregular on messageboards I have been on.

This is where I run into difficulty. I'm not the greatest at resolving computer difficulties and not overly tech proficient. In fact I remember selecting standard editor somewhere and now can't remember how I did that. I just selected mobile platform a moment ago to see and that's even worse.

My main problem could even be lacking any corollary platform loads. For instance if theres any image loads that require another update, program, or codec or something.

Simply put I have no dialog control box. Which is irregular on messageboards I have been on.
    Try clicking on the following link:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/newth...newthread&f=16

Not sure what you mean by "dialog control box"

I don't either because I'm not up with tech jargon. At least I knew what a codec is.. heh

I was simply referring to the usual post reply interface box on messageboards where you have headers for the fonts, bolding quoting etc available when you post. Not sure what that is called (or don't remember)

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post

Try clicking on the following link:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/newth...newthread&f=16
    It just hangs. Doesn't submit. Thanks.

I don't either because I'm not up with tech jargon. At least I knew what a codec is.. heh

I was simply referring to the usual post reply interface box on messageboards where you have headers for the fonts, bolding quoting etc available when you post. Not sure what that is called (or don't remember)
    Do you have javascript disabled in your browsers?

Do you have javascript disabled in your browsers?
    No.

This was one of my first thoughts, but I'm working with a somewhat older computer and due to work operating systems I did have to use some programming command scripts to make browser work with outdated work programs. This has caused conflicts at times with other programs and with java updating.

Short of doing a complete reformat I probably can't fix this problem, and if I fix it then my interface with some work programs probably doesn't mesh. Should mention I'm far from the only one that was experiencing conflicts with the outdated information system programs run at work.

So it seems Edmonton is now cancelling the project for the decibel meter signs they posted around. Apparently there were too many complaints of people excessively roaring their engines to see how high of a number they could get. Well no duh! I've said that this would happen! So now they're taking them down. A much easier solution would be to have them turn off at a certain time since many of the complaints were at night, but ok...

More money down the drain Edmonton, good job! Maybe someone with common-sense and understands people needs to be making the decisions in silly-hall. Even the mayor complained about the people making the noise saying that he doesn't understand why people were doing that. He obviously doesn't understand what some people are really like, and he and others over there just live in a little perfect bubble where everything falls into place and everyone follows the rules.... Reality people!!

Hopefully now they start taking it seriously and start handing out tickets, but I highly doubt it. This failed project further proves the point that there are too many "bro's" (aka losers) out there that have purposely modified their vehicles to make them as loud as possible. This needs to be put to a stop.

You can clearly see this on almost any vehicle forum, even the specific Edmonton ones like 780tuners where people are always asking what the loudest exhaust setup is, and even further to that, people will put on a loud exhaust and then ask what else they can do to make it even louder. Ridiculous....

Well, if you think about it, their test was a success. If the monitors were put there to test whether vehicle noise was a problem, then in a short period of time they identified that yes, it's a problem. Now they can go ahead and put up the real noise meters to "catch" the violators and ticket them.

So it seems Edmonton is now cancelling the project for the decibel meter signs they posted around. Apparently there were too many complaints of people excessively roaring their engines to see how high of a number they could get. Well no duh! I've said that this would happen! So now they're taking them down. A much easier solution would be to have them turn off at a certain time since many of the complaints were at night, but ok...

More money down the drain Edmonton, good job! Maybe someone with common-sense and understands people needs to be making the decisions in silly-hall. Even the mayor complained about the people making the noise saying that he doesn't understand why people were doing that. He obviously doesn't understand what some people are really like, and he and others over there just live in a little perfect bubble where everything falls into place and everyone follows the rules.... Reality people!!

Hopefully now they start taking it seriously and start handing out tickets, but I highly doubt it. This failed project further proves the point that there are too many "bro's" (aka losers) out there that have purposely modified their vehicles to make them as loud as possible. This needs to be put to a stop.

You can clearly see this on almost any vehicle forum, even the specific Edmonton ones like 780tuners where people are always asking what the loudest exhaust setup is, and even further to that, people will put on a loud exhaust and then ask what else they can do to make it even louder. Ridiculous....
    Its comical if they actually did this.

This belies a lack of understanding of the average freeway troll that only desires to be heard and make others hear them. The INTENT of a fair section of these is to make noise. It represents that subsection of humanity that doesn/t want to behave and relishes reaction to their misbehavior (as relatively innocent as it is)

The COE, as is typical, perhaps made a mistake of thinking that speed reduction signs seem to work. But that is due to the application and feedback to ALL DRIVERS. With most of those hopefully being normative inclined individuals that respond reasonably and intend to be abiding. But the cross section of bikers with excessively noisy rods would NOT be that cohort. They would be a cohort that WANTS to make noise, that customizes their bike to make the most noise. Who would be of course naturally inclined to see if they could bury that decibel gauge. The exact opposite reaction that COE would think.

This goes back to COE not making informed decisions and having any dialog with people that might know something about an issue or phenomenon.

Now this post by me may seem to go against my previous posts where I say the noise is a trivial issue. But I take that position because I know that a certain subset of society want some form of rebellion, some form of sticking a finger to the every other. For bikers this is what noise really represents. Their hog is loudly saying **** you without resorting to profanity. Its what they/re doing. I/d rather have that person expressing their pent up frustration doing that then engaging in vandalism, pissing in yards, hooliganism, what have you. In a sense for those bikers that make noise and don/t break the law in other ways this is relatively harmless expressions of their contempt for others.
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-09-2018 at 09:29 AM.

The sooner the better. The noise season is coming to a close, though.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Now this post by me may seem to go against my previous posts where I say the noise is a trivial issue. But I take that position because I know that a certain subset of society want some form of rebellion, some form of sticking a finger to the every other. For bikers this is what noise really represents. Their hog is loudly saying **** you without resorting to profanity. Its what they/re doing. I/d rather have that person expressing their pent up frustration doing that then engaging in vandalism, pissing in yards, hooliganism, what have you. In a sense for those bikers that make noise and don/t break the law in other ways this is relatively harmless expressions of their contempt for others.
    i think that’s a false equivalency and doubt very much that those people that are indeed saying **** you with their hogs’ noise will end up spending the hours they used to ride wrapped in that noise engaging in vandalism, pissing in my yard, hooliganism, what have you if they can no longer be obnoxiously loud. they don’t do that now when they can’t make that noise because the weather keeps them quiet and i don’t believe they will if they have to be quiet for other reasons. they will still choose to ride when they can because that’s what they want to be doing, not pissing in my yard.

i think that’s a false equivalency and doubt very much that those people that are indeed saying **** you with their hogs’ noise will end up spending the hours they used to ride wrapped in that noise engaging in vandalism, pissing in my yard, hooliganism, what have you if they can no longer be obnoxiously loud. they don’t do that now when they can’t make that noise because the weather keeps them quiet and i don’t believe they will if they have to be quiet for other reasons. they will still choose to ride when they can because that’s what they want to be doing, not pissing in my yard.
    I'm stating it in figurative terms. I'm not literally stating the person behind the loud hog is going to **** in the frozen wind on your snow covered lawn when they can't get the greasy hog out. I'm saying it is a form of contempt and want to **** off others that results in the excessive noises. Antisocial and destructive behavior takes many forms.

These individuals, invariably LOVE to sound off MOST around accumulations of people. Its so troll driven. So clearly. Whehter this occurring on main drags like Whyte Ave, Jasper Ave or even in sleepy suburbs the behavior seems driven.

There isn't an individual in this thread that wouldn't say that these excessively noisy bikes are driven much more in our main people districts. Because they want their noise to be heard. Without which its a tree falling in the forest..
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-09-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Replacement, it's nice to see you do a 180 and realize that noise like this is unacceptable.

I tweeted to the Mayor and the city a suggestion: swap the decibel meter sign for one that says $$$$TICKETABLE$$$$ . Instead, I heard on the news on CHED that they have shut off the decibel sign at four of the higher traffic locations. The equipment is still recording the decibels for the trial, but no more meter for the donkey orficies

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sadly not surprising.

Replacement, it's nice to see you do a 180 and realize that noise like this is unacceptable.
    I know what causes this type of thing. The intent and willingness to be ignorant and a pain in the *** to others. With noisy bikers this is never really in doubt. My earlier statement thinking about bikers just out with the wind blowing in their face is just a helpful reframe for me about bikers in general to not be bothered by the noise. Which is a way of saying that anything we are bothered by becomes that with some of our own decision to be bothered by it, or shut it out.

But I have no doubt in my mind the decibel pushing bikers are trying to be jerks. Usually they will prowl around heavily used districts in evenings making noise and then later make sure to hit residential areas when people are sleeping and rev their ride as much as they can. Nor do these type even try to ride quieter near home. On the contrary the same individuals rev all the way home and are often dick neighbors as well.

I know what causes this type of thing. The intent and willingness to be ignorant and a pain in the *** to others. With noisy bikers this is never really in doubt. My earlier statement thinking about bikers just out with the wind blowing in their face is just a helpful reframe for me about bikers in general to not be bothered by the noise. Which is a way of saying that anything we are bothered by becomes that with some of our own decision to be bothered by it, or shut it out.

But I have no doubt in my mind the decibel pushing bikers are trying to be jerks. Usually they will prowl around heavily used districts in evenings making noise and then later make sure to hit residential areas when people are sleeping and rev their ride as much as they can. Nor do these type even try to ride quieter near home. On the contrary the same individuals rev all the way home and are often dick neighbors as well.

We had a neighbour like that..it was awful.

The funny part is the video where the mayor is interrupted by a loud exhaust.

Yep, there's a couple bikers in my neighborhood, one in particular who's a special kind of dick and drives by in front of my house several times a day just cruising, cruising a residential area for some reason.... He accelerates but doesn't change gears, and once he's at 4-5000 RPM, he nails it to redline it. It's a 50km/h street. There no reason in hell for anyone to redline a bike in a residential area unless you're just being a dick...

I made a decision though. I know where this guy lives 3 blocks over from me. A buddy of mine has a bike that's in rough shape cosmetically but still roadworthy and legal. If this guy does this again next summer, I'm going to borrow my buddy's bike for the summer. Every day I hear him roaring, I'm gonna get up at 3AM, ride over to his house, point the exhaust pipes at his house and just sit there and rev and rev and rev. Hopefully he comes out to ask what the hell I'm doing because I'll just answer "How do you like it?".

Mature response? No. Am I sick of him being a dick? Yes. Will anyone else enforce his actions or do anything about it if I call someone to complain? Already have so no. Will it be satisfying? YES.

alkeli, please, please, please record this and post it here.

This is kind of disconnected but we had a bunch of shitshow neighbors across the street that were renting the place. Was pretty much a flophouse for any rig workers that needed a place to stay between weeks out at Mc or wherever. So predictably they treated the home like an open bar, loud yelling on front lawn, drinking till all hours of the night and with music playing and front door open. Guys staggering around. I mean this is a typical neighborhood and this was going on. Police complaints do nothing at all as everybody knows. Neighbors even got together to speak to the landlord about what kind of jerkoffs he was allowing the house to be rented to. No traction there either.

In a bit of classic karma one of the idiots that was allowed to reside there accidentally started a fire and the house burned. End of problem. People pretty much all got out and waved bye at these fuckers when the firetrucks were all here and they were all mumbling drunk in the cold. No love lost. Never seen any of them again and they're probably wrecking some other property being a nuisance to some other neighborhood. A couple of them had noisy rods.

Was walking along a downtown street when a motorcyclist with an exhaust loud enough to wake up the dead came to a stop at the traffic light, revved up many times as he deemed necessary then came roaring by. With no enforcement available at our means, all we could do is simultaneously flip him the finger and made damn sure he witnessed our displeasure.

alkeli, please, please, please record this and post it here.
    haha I'll make sure to stick my GoPro camera on my helmet

Told my wife about this and she actually laughed and said "DO IT!". Normally she would be opposed to this sort of thing but I think she hates it just as much. Now I'm thinking of getting a t-shirt made with big letters on it that says "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?", so if he looks out the window he'll see it. And if he comes out to talk to me, I'll just stand there and REV loudly every time he tries to talk to me and point at my shirt hahaha

If your wife cleared it then you pretty much have to do it

I'm sure his neighbours will LOVE you being a dick at 3am too!

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I'm sure his neighbors will LOVE you being a dick at 3am too!
    Why not latch a logging chain to it and drag it for a few thousand feet. At worst, the sparks may attract some attention...
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I'm sure his neighbours will LOVE you being a dick at 3am too!
    I'm sure he's already ****** them off as it is considering he does the same thing late at night on Fridays and Saturdays... If I'm sitting out on my deck, I can pretty much hear him start his bike, rev rev rev and the peel out of his driveway, then I know he's coming. He revs all the way out of the entire neighborhood. I would hope that I'd only have to do it once.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

the city already loans out traps for $75 refundable deposits for various vermin and pests ( https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_...ife-traps.aspx ).

perhaps we just need to get them to institute as similar program with a combination sound meter and camera that would send out a summons and fine for disturbing the peace like they do with photo radar...

Was walking along a downtown street when a motorcyclist with an exhaust loud enough to wake up the dead came to a stop at the traffic light, revved up many times as he deemed necessary then came roaring by. With no enforcement available at our means, all we could do is simultaneously flip him the finger and made damn sure he witnessed our displeasure.
    Dbag motorcyclists relish seeing people give them the middle finger. It's a badge of honour.
    You are supposed to flip your pinky finger and stroke it with your other index and thumb. Then make damn sure he witnessed it.

I wish we had miserable weather again. First warm night in a few weeks and all the loud motorbikes are out in full force.

and during the day, leaf blowers... at least the bikes pass quickly...

Bastards, all of 'em bastards - can't even spend a Thanksgiving weekend night with loved ones, instead they gotta rip up the night with their noise machines.

and during the day, leaf blowers... at least the bikes pass quickly...
    Had my leaf blower going for about an hour yesterday!!! Gotta get one of those really powerful gas powered units.

Haven’t had any complaints about it. At least I haven’t heard any complaints. Nor any complaints about my noisy snowblower. Maybe because when it really snows a lot I do their snow.

Last fall though our neighbour complained about the leafs coming off our 20 year old elm tree on our front lawn. So to keep the peace we’re having it cut down this fall. May paint the house lime green in the spring.
    Last edited by KC; 06-10-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Warm fall weather = constant barrage of biker noise. Part of me wishes it was winter again.

Bad weather used to give us a break, but sadly, no more.

You see the tiny penis gang has discovered the "joyous" noise they can make in their heated, covered Dodge Ram diesels.

Phuk
    ... gobsmacked

I'll take the 15 seconds of a truck or bike going by over the hour (per yard) of rrrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr from leaf-blowers.

Yes, the blowers are uber-annoying too - especially when used all winter to blow away light snowfalls.
    ... gobsmacked

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Guess what kids...you live in CITY. Why the hell do people ***** on about noise? What do you actually expect. If quiet is what you want, sell and move to a acreage. The whiny lot in Edmonton bitched about the airport,and it closed. BUT LOVE infill that does WHAT? Creates more noise with traffic. Now it's bikes,trucks and leaf blowers...I don't like alot of it either. However, I do live in urban area and as such expect and accept noise as part of a CITY.. While were at it, lets ban trains, over flying aircraft, and EMS at 2 am ect ect ect...If this is REALLY that bad,take a plate of the offending bike or truck and report it. As for leaf blowers????LOLOLOL....Suck it up..............
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Respect my friend, respect.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Guess what kids...you live in CITY. Why the hell do people ***** on about noise? What do you actually expect. If quiet is what you want, sell and move to a acreage. The whiny lot in Edmonton bitched about the airport,and it closed. BUT LOVE infill that does WHAT? Creates more noise with traffic. Now it's bikes,trucks and leaf blowers...I don't like alot of it either. However, I do live in urban area and as such expect and accept noise as part of a CITY.. While were at it, lets ban trains, over flying aircraft, and EMS at 2 am ect ect ect...If this is REALLY that bad,take a plate of the offending bike or truck and report it. As for leaf blowers????LOLOLOL....Suck it up..............
    Yes we should be b!tching about those damn roads instead!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yes, the blowers are uber-annoying too - especially when used all winter to blow away light snowfalls.
    Even more annoying when they are blowing dirt and dust around all spring, summer, and fall. Anybody with asthma or any respiratory conditions can be affected by people out there spending hours blowing **** around. lol at people that use these to clean walks in winter. For a light snow dump its far easier just to take a 2ft push broom out. I can do the walks in 25% of the time it takes someone to use those stupid blowers and I'm not using any power to do it.

Even more annoying when they are blowing dirt and dust around all spring, summer, and fall. Anybody with asthma or any respiratory conditions can be affected by people out there spending hours blowing **** around. lol at people that use these to clean walks in winter. For a light snow dump its far easier just to take a 2ft push broom out. I can do the walks in 25% of the time it takes someone to use those stupid blowers and I'm not using any power to do it.
    I’m usually inside in the winter so when neighbours use snow blowers or leaf blowers to clear snow I’m barely aware of any noise at all. How about those noisy graders and heavy equipment clearing the streets out front. Should ban those too?

I agree though that that most machines produce more noise than they should. Seems like they have primitive antiquated technology. With all the tech advances in the world, exhaust and electric motor noise seems to have been caused by hiring some pretty poor engineers.
    Last edited by KC; 18-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.

I’m usually inside in the winter so when neighbours use snow blowers or leaf blowers to clear snow I’m barely aware of any noise at all. How about those noisy graders and heavy equipment clearing the streets out front. Should ban those too?

I agree though that that most machines produce more noise than they should. Seems like they have primitive antiquated technology. With all the tech advances in the world, exhaust and electric motor noise seems to have been caused by hiring some pretty poor engineers.
    Could link several sites stating that the sound and frequency of leaf blowers actually gets through thick walls. But the health impacts of these things has been considered since the 70's, they should never have been introduced to the marketplace, never allowed, and they've banned in many forward thinking jurisdictions. They accomplish nothing that a rake or broom can't accomplish and with far less harm.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/more-...ools-1.4695956

That people get out and use these things for an hour at a time is just mindblowing, but they do.

Lets draw a distinction as well from items that actually serve a purpose, like road graders, vs an item for the lazy that serves no purpose at all.

Due to the adverse health impacts alone leaf blowers of all types should be banned.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-10-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Guess what kids...you live in CITY. Why the hell do people ***** on about noise? What do you actually expect. If quiet is what you want, sell and move to a acreage... etc.
    Leaving aside the airport and infill divergence .... there's a massive leap between noise that is unavoidable (emergency sirens, garbage trucks) and that which is simply gratuitous. I'm no fan of either, but accept the former, while *****ing about the latter.

That's all.
    ... gobsmacked