Thread: Tech companies boosting growth in 'vibrant' downtown Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Tech companies boosting growth in 'vibrant' downtown Edmonton

Tech companies boosting growth in 'vibrant' downtown Edmonton

Downtown Edmonton’s real estate market has bounced back as the oil and gas industry recovers from its recent slump, but the glow could fade in coming months.

The office vacancy rate at the end of June dropped to 12.5 per cent, down from 15.3 per cent in 2017 and far below the crushing 26 per cent vacancy rate in downtown Calgary, figures from Avison Young real estate show.

That’s the lowest figure since the pre-recession 8.8 per cent vacancy rate in 2015.

One big reason for the improvement is the growing presence of high-tech operations in the core, Edmonton Avison Young managing director Cory Wosnack said.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

That's very positive. Hopefully with the continued conversion of older buildings to residential the market will continue to balance.

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...box=1537366224

A steady stream of top-class technology graduates and a tax credit aimed at the industry have led a British video game startup to establish its first Canadian office in Edmonton.The company, headquartered in London, is called Improbable.
    Founded in 2012 by a couple of recent Cambridge graduates, it now employs around 300 people to develop virtual and simulation technology for video game makers.
    With offices in San Francisco and Washington D.C., the company is now eyeing the Great White North.
    Lots of tax incentives here at play, but they are key to getting the sector to take root. While we lost some tech/IT jobs in the past decade (Dell, intuit, etc), I hope new startups will take root here.
    It is very competitive with Calgary and Vancouver vying for these companies but I feel with our proximity to UofA, and notable companies like bioware (EA), we have a very slight edge.

Tech and healthcare must be our future of this city.

Dell/Intuit were mostly the very low end of 'tech jobs'... basically call center work. No real lose when they left. More customer service and following procedure than anything requiring more skills than a trained monkey.

^^ Don't forget NAIT, which has churned out many talented programmers over the years.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

A steady stream of top-class technology graduates and a tax credit aimed at the industry have led a British video game startup to establish its first Canadian office in Edmonton.The company, headquartered in London, is called Improbable.
    Founded in 2012 by a couple of recent Cambridge graduates, it now employs around 300 people to develop virtual and simulation technology for video game makers.
    With offices in San Francisco and Washington D.C., the company is now eyeing the Great White North.
    Lots of tax incentives here at play, but they are key to getting the sector to take root. While we lost some tech/IT jobs in the past decade (Dell, intuit, etc), I hope new startups will take root here.
    It is very competitive with Calgary and Vancouver vying for these companies but I feel with our proximity to UofA, and notable companies like bioware (EA), we have a very slight edge.

Excellent news!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Dell/Intuit were mostly the very low end of 'tech jobs'... basically call center work. No real lose when they left. More customer service and following procedure than anything requiring more skills than a trained monkey.
    What are you talking about. Intuit corporate office is in Toronto but their operations are in the EPCOR tower. http://www.epcortower.ca/directory/
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

Excellent news!
    I attended the Lunchalytics event at Startup Edmonton today and one of the presenters was ATB...there are some non tech businesses leveraging a lot of tech things happening in Edmonton. It was great to see.

Very impressed with the city's synergy right now. This is the third head quarters in our city within the last year. I see a lot more coming and potential former headquarters return to its root ( Edmonton) from south of us. This is why I'm so keen on the visual optics of the core as it gives us a different and extreme positive vibe. Really great news!
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    What are you talking about. Intuit corporate office is in Toronto but their operations are in the EPCOR tower. http://www.epcortower.ca/directory/
    No, they left some crumbs behind, but the rest were moved to TO.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    No, they left some crumbs behind, but the rest were moved to TO.

Intuit cuts 60 Canadian jobs, mostly in Edmonton – Edmonton Journal

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...ly-in-edmonton
    Last edited by KC; 19-09-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Hicks on Biz: Yardstick Testing and Training leading local IT sector | Edmonton Sun
    January 25, 2018
    Excerpt

“Problem: Going global, finding and servicing customers the world over, means Yardstick must bring in internationally experienced, top-notch, IT business development executives with global networks.

“Up until now, we — our long-time executive team — were the talent,” says LaBoissiere. “But now, to keep growing, we need to bring in world-class IT executive talent.

“Those are the people we have difficulty attracting to Edmonton,” says LaBoissiere. “That’s the single greatest challenge to growing a world-class company in this city.””

https://edmontonsun.com/business/hic...ocal-it-sector