Thread: Help yourself to a city vehicle...the keys are in the ignition

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Help yourself to a city vehicle...the keys are in the ignition

In a matter of minutes, the truck was gone.
    On a balmy mid-May evening, a man allegedly smashed his way into the City of Edmontonís OíKeefe Service Yard in the river valley north of Saskatchewan Drive, jumped into a Ford F-350 truck, tore down Fort Hill Road and headed downtown.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/most-of-the-20-city-vehicles-stolen-over-last-five-years-had-keys-in-ignition
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Its interesting from the theft record of 5yrs that this is an ongoing practice of some employees leaving keys in ignition. I'd wonder if one City employee has been reprimanded, suspended, fired, for the same.

Wonder as well what liabilities would be if a City vehicle was involved in injuries and or fatalities or property damage.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Whoever signed out the vehicle, and/or the fleet manager responsible should be held accountable since the city does have policies on this and they weren't followed.

$122,000 is what this laziness has cost the city. It would be much cheaper to equip the vehicles with devices to prevent such things from happening.

FedEx and other delivery trucks have proximity sensors to unlock doors and move the vehicle because they leave their vehicles running. You can plainly see them beside the doors and look like a big round plastic disk the size of a small dinner plate. The keycards to get into the trucks are either on a zipline tied to their waste or on their sleeve. Either implement this, or start making an example of those who are responsible.

This has been going on for too many years without a solution (NINE were stolen in 2015, 3 years ago!).

What jumped out at me was 4,300 vehicles.... how is that even possible? That's not including transit buses which I would have thought was the biggest portion of the fleet considering that they're pretty much everywhere all the time.

After that, a few hundred police vehicles, and a couple hundred fire department.... and what? are they counting Zambonis and lawn mowers to get to that number?
    There can only be one.

Snow plows, sanders, graders and snow removal equipment? Oh wait, we barely have any of that lol

On locking vehicles, it may not always be a good idea. The damage done to break into an empty vehicle or a vehicle with little in value inside could be substantial and then the loss of service while its being repaired adds to the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    What jumped out at me was 4,300 vehicles.... how is that even possible? That's not including transit buses which I would have thought was the biggest portion of the fleet considering that they're pretty much everywhere all the time.

After that, a few hundred police vehicles, and a couple hundred fire department.... and what? are they counting Zambonis and lawn mowers to get to that number?
    Lawnmowers? Probably. $10-20,000 lawnmowers. (Just basic zero turn mowers start around $5,000.)

I guess there could be a few hundred in the garbage truck fleet too.
    There can only be one.

I don't think those are city-owned vehicles though, they're all contracted.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    On locking vehicles, it may not always be a good idea. The damage done to break into an empty vehicle or a vehicle with little in value inside could be substantial and then the loss of service while its being repaired adds to the costs.
    Most thieves are handle-pullers. If a car is locked, they move on. Not all are willing to break a window and risk setting off an alarm or making noise. A friend of mine lives in the west Bonnie Doon area and this is a major problem. He and many of his neighbors have had someone steal from their vehicle if they forget to lock it (Him only once). Just door-pullers walking down the road checking for unlocked cars. He chased one down one night and had a knife pulled on him. Lowlifes...

I think the $122k in loss so far is more than what repairs would cost. Plus whatever damage has been done to public property and police vehicles from boxing them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I guess there could be a few hundred in the garbage truck fleet too.
    I don't think they belong to the city, aren't they private?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Leased fleets and then sold/auctioned. You see the odd used one for sale that has the discoloration where the Edmonton sticker was.
    Last edited by alkeli; 27-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Whoever signed out the vehicle, and/or the fleet manager responsible should be held accountable since the city does have policies on this and they weren't followed.

$122,000 is what this laziness has cost the city. It would be much cheaper to equip the vehicles with devices to prevent such things from happening.

FedEx and other delivery trucks have proximity sensors to unlock doors and move the vehicle because they leave their vehicles running. You can plainly see them beside the doors and look like a big round plastic disk the size of a small dinner plate. The keycards to get into the trucks are either on a zipline tied to their waste or on their sleeve. Either implement this, or start making an example of those who are responsible.

This has been going on for too many years without a solution (NINE were stolen in 2015, 3 years ago!).
    The 122K is potentially a fudged figure. Lots of gray area in how that is calculated. For instance they might credit dollar cost recoveries without taking into account the expenses in pursuing those damages. They may use creative depreciation values, certainly these are not replaced vehicles figures. Accounting can get very creative in these areas to reduce the alleged lost figures to make it a bit more palatable.

Agree with your proposed solutions.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Leased fleets and then sold/auctioned. You see the odd used one for sale that has the discoloration where the Edmonton sticker was.
    Sorry, my comment was based on the one just before me talking about the garbage trucks. I don't believe the garbage trucks are owned by the city, as they're all contracted.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Ah, yeah garbage trucks are contracted and I don't believe they count towards city vehicles.

To be fair, it doesn't specify if the CoE "owns" 4300 vehicles, but simply they have 4300 in their fleet, so who knows if they included contracted vehicles that they slap CoE logos on (such as garbage trucks or those semis pulling those massive blue trailers you see on the Henday). I also don't doubt that figure includes an entire range of equipment, including trailers, mowers, loaders, etc. The City also had a lot of yards with a lot of vehicles in each, so when including EPS and EFD, it's a believable number in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Lawnmowers? Probably. $10-20,000 lawnmowers. (Just basic zero turn mowers start around $5,000.)
    Those fully cabbed wide area lawn mowers you see driving on the streets that mow fields cost a lot more than $20,000 per tractor, generally about 3-4x that.

A buddy who years ago worked for the Parks department of the City once told me about how one summer they had a brand new fleet of them come in, and in the first few weeks, one guy put gasoline in one (they were diesel) and caused over $15,000 in engine damage right there. Hardly got more than a talking to.
    East of the Rockies, and west of the rest!