Thread: 104 St. Pedestrian Mall

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default 104 St. Pedestrian Mall

Yep, good old CoE is out surveying folks about an exciting proposal to close off 104 street from (I think) 100 Ave to 103 Ave for a pedestrian Mall.

"Just like Stephen's Ave Mall in Calgary" says the surveyor.

Uh, no.

Not sure there's even one unit of residential along the Calgary mall.

104 Street has about 200 stories and growing of of residential, with virtually all parking in the alleys.

So add thousands of people, then choke 102 ave down to one eastbound lane and shut off alleyway access to Jasper Ave.

102 Street ends at 102 Ave. 103 Street is private property after 103 Ave

So, close off 104 Street too?

Brilliant.

Please tell me the right and left hands of the tall foreheads at Silly Hall know what each other is doing.

Oh yeah, that's right ...
    Last edited by McBoo; 23-08-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    ... gobsmacked

I think it's fine the way it is.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^^ Do you have an actual tangible source for this?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Please tell me the right and left hands of the tall foreheads at Silly Hall know what each other is doing.

Oh yeah, that's right ...
    Sorry, I can't tell you that. I can tell you that each department in the city works under their own fiefdom / silos, and are completely oblivious/unaware/don't care what other departments in the city are doing, and whether their is overlap or gaps between them. For the longest time, Transportation and Transit were their own separate department and couldn't even plan things between each other. This has improved slightly when Iveson said enough is enough... but that's just one shining example of the silos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^^ Do you have an actual tangible source for this?
    Name? No. But I was surveyed. And I've seen lots more doing the survey in recent days.
    ... gobsmacked

104st. is fine as is, but i would be in favor of turning the back alley of that area into that vission.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 24-08-2018 at 02:13 AM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

I think 104 Street is great the way it is. It's not 24/7, and I think it's okay for cars when there's no Saturday market or event at Rogers Place.

Also, Edmonton has other venues for pedestrian traffic (Rice Howard Way, Churchill Square, The Armature and others).
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I hope they first figure out how to accommodate the farmers market with the future tram rolling down 102 avenue.

Having been to Old Montreal, cars and pedestrians can exist fine and if you ever sit on the patio along 104th, you'll realize how little traffic there is on the street outside of rush hour.

On the other hand, walk along 104 and the lack of sidewalk width is noticeable where there are patios, and the fact that it's still illegal to cross the street other than at a crosswalk is insulting.

it doesn't need to be car-free, but the jaywalking bylaw shouldn't apply on 104st.

Actually I shouldn't exist at all.
    There can only be one.

My councilor couldn't find any administration effort re: 104 Street, which he calls pretty much a shared street anyway.

What they have been asked to do, is look at making Capital Blvd a shared vehicle / pedestrian street. (So you could jaywalk!)

Truth be, haven't seen any police effort to ticket jaywalkers on 104 Street - or pretty much anywhere anymore.
    ... gobsmacked

No, I don't think I've ever seen a jaywalking ticked issued. But it's still on the books and the only exception is still Rice Howard Way.
    There can only be one.

C2E Long Term Contributor

VERY few closed off streets work well. You need a far more density and 104 Street works well as is.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Maybe in 10-20 years when it's filled out more North of 102 avenue and South of Jasper Avenue. As others have said, it works fine the way it is right now, and it doesn't make much sense to have a pedestrian only street a single block long.

You mean like Rice Howard Way? That's actually a half block though.

C2E SME

I must have missed it when Rice Howard Way eliminated all vehicles. Strange.

C2E SME

So just the Western section of it, not the Eastern. That was my point. It's still half open to vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    VERY few closed off streets work well. You need a far more density and 104 Street works well as is.
    Depends which street and which city you are talking about and it also depends on what you mean by a closed street and not working well.

104 St. works well the way it is in my opinion, but some of the best streets around the world are closed to automobile traffic. To name a few: Las Ramblas, Barcelona; Carnaby Street, London; Flower Street, Curitiba, Brazil; Lijnbaan, Rotterdam; Cat Street, Tokyo; Via Dante, Milan; Granville Mall, Halifax.

Streets closed to automobile traffic can be very vibrant, safe, and very successful for businesses.

They aren't always the solution, but be careful with broad generalizations. I would argue that typically closed streets don't work well for people commuting by automobile but they work great for pedestrians, businesses, and tourists visiting the area. Perhaps you can provide specific examples where very few of these streets work well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    So just the Western section of it, not the Eastern. That was my point. It's still half open to vehicles.
    Yup, half-assed. It's the Edmonton way

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Agreed. Stephen Avenue in Calgary was re-opened some years back to vehicular traffic in the evening and at night:

Stephen Avenue Walk is often incorrectly referred to as Stephen Avenue Mall. Stephen Avenue Walk is an outdoor pedestrian walkway from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm, 7 days per week. Between 6:00 pm and 6:00 am, it is a one-way, single-lane roadway with parking on the north side of the street.
    http://www.calgarydowntown.com/saw/faq.html