Thread: Hlinka-Gretzky Cup

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Hlinka-Gretzky Cup

Thought I'd open up a thread on the topic if anyone wanted to discuss! I'm hockey-starved.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Only thing I've heard about this is that tickets weren't selling that well. Hard to believe, though, what with the big WG name attached.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Only thing I've heard about this is that tickets weren't selling that well. Hard to believe, though, what with the big WG name attached.
    My youtube feed said underneath "111 people watching". I wasn't sure if it's talking about the stream or in the stands.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The late afternoon game with Sweden vs Switzerland only drew a few into the stands.
    Tonight's game with Canada vs Slovakia fared much better although not quite an Oilers sellout.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Gregor on TSN 1260 was cracking lots of jokes about how cold the rink is. Many folk from away were complaining apparently. Ticket pre-sales weren't robust enough to warrant turning on the heat.

C2E SME

It's not a surprise it's a tough draw. I was bombarded by emails to buy tickets as an Oilers season seat holder, but I didn't because I knew that everyone's on vacation and hockey is the last thing on most people's minds in the middle of summer.

I am planning on going to a game, but like Marcel said, most folks are away or wanting to be outside... although with this heat, Rogers Place might just be the place to be.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The late afternoon game with Sweden vs Switzerland only drew a few into the stands.
    Tonight's game with Canada vs Slovakia fared much better although not quite an Oilers sellout.
    ftr only the lower bowl is being sold to these games. Not sure what you meant by "not quite an Oilers sellout.

Traditionally this tournament draws more interest from scouts and families of players. Few fans typically go to it. Its never been a big deal in Europe.

The World Juniors on the other hand is more like Christmas....

I concur with what Marcel said. Hockey is not on my mind when its 33C outside.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I am planning on going to a game, but like Marcel said, most folks are away or wanting to be outside... although with this heat, Rogers Place might just be the place to be.

Uh...no.

The cold hard truth is that nobody gives a flying f*ck.

No matter how they try to dress it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Uh...no.

The cold hard truth is that nobody gives a flying f*ck.

No matter how they try to dress it up.
    😂 not as many do as the juniors for sure. But there’s some really talented Individuals in the tournament. A bunch of kids who were born into the game without a two line pass and they’re fast. That Lafrieniere guy had like 40 goals in the QMJHL as a 16 year old. Some of these guys will be draft talk next year so it’s nice to get an early look.

Not a hell of a lot of Edmontonians are liking being outside much either in mind melting 34C weather. It is an oven out there. Could never live in a warm climate.

Basically few fans care about this tournament. It isn't the hockey season.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

It also directly coincides with two of the biggest festivals of the year: Heritage Days and Folk Fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It also directly coincides with two of the biggest festivals of the year: Heritage Days and Folk Fest.
    I could see Heritage festival being a competing impediment but only for what the first scheduled games? Its been over since Monday. Folk Festival is not big festival, its not a big ticket event. We're talking 15K capacity vs Heritage having as many as 350K in one Sunday last year. The intersection of Folk fans and Hlinka fans would probably approach negligible.

Reality is Hlinka tournament would have done even better at Rexall. They could have offered free parking, cheaper concessions, and a bare bones ticket price. At the DT arena you have pricier tickets, pay parking, arena levy surcharge, more expensive food and beverage. People that like cheap entertainment, and cheap family entertainment would try this, but at Rogers DT it isn't a cheap day out for a family.

Kind of wondering as well how well people are really taking to the new Arena. Oilers sales are the worst this season they have been since the 90's.

For the first time in a dozen years anybody could buy minipacks. There was no lottery for them. For the first time since the CAP original individual tickets for any game are easily available. Really a considerable quantity. They even made the cheaper individual tickets cheaper than pack/ticket prices.

I could go to an LA game for 48 bucks plus surcharges. Similar tickets were 75bucks /game with the power packs.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.

I count about 10 people at this afternoon's game between Russia and Sweden
    (pic courtesy of Kaella Carr on twitter)

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

They'd make more money if they gave away the tickets and simply sold food at the concessions.

Canada wins semi-final over USA, going for gold this weekend!

(pic courtesy of Derek Van Diest)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    They'd make more money if they gave away the tickets and simply sold food at the concessions.
    Like Gretzky said though it takes time to grow the game. Is this tournament in its what 3rd year? Does it get any air time?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Of course it takes time to grow it. But it's hard to get word of mouth when the stands have fewer people in them than the teams have on the ice and every story that they do get talk about how bad the attendance is.

Tickets for today are $30-$50 each, according the the website. You're looking at $200+tax for a family of four before you get snacks, souvenirs, parking, etc.

Drop the price to $10 and each adult can bring in one kid free and you'll have fuller stands, sell more from the concessions and the pictures won't make it look like there's literally almost nobody interested.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Of course it takes time to grow it. But it's hard to get word of mouth when the stands have fewer people in them than the teams have on the ice and every story that they do get talk about how bad the attendance is.

Tickets for today are $30-$50 each, according the the website. You're looking at $200+tax for a family of four before you get snacks, souvenirs, parking, etc.

Drop the price to $10 and each adult can bring in one kid free and you'll have fuller stands, sell more from the concessions and the pictures won't make it look like there's literally almost nobody interested.
    Totally. But like I said earlier andy extra cost, including the arena ticket surcharge just keeps lower income or even middle income families out of the rink. Fans for which this might otherwise appeal. This should be cheap entertainment, it isn't. Its despicable that the price pointing is resulting in empty arenas. I thought the whole point of the new DT arena was bringing people into the DT and enticing them there.

So that not only is does it not make economic sense to have such low crowds but its missing the Arena mandate as well. As reminder zero events occurred at Arena in July. This was their supposed big event for August.

Not gonna lie, the new arena may be awe inspiring as you come up the escalators, but there’s just something about the dirty old barn, relaxed security, and small town feel that Rexall had.

The experience is no longer the same and honestly, when I can afford to goto a game, I feel like a second class citizen in every direction I look.

Our arena is the equivalent of a luxury liner and the team is the equivalent of the Titanic 😂

But making the new arena so fancy and all that, along with the greatly increased price for events, is what makes downtown so vibrant! Not actually bring people downtown, kicking up the price of a night out for the average family is what does it. Setting a high price helps keep the riff-raff away from IanO's vision of downtown. "A downtown for everyone (that can afford it)"

This tournament always seemed to be a consolation prize for lack of any Oilers playoff games. I'm very surprised that so many empty (nearly all, apparently) seats have been permissible for a tournament that is alleged to have international interest.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Bruce McCurdy‏ @BruceMcCurdy
    Lower bowl (9000 seats) pretty much full for #HlinkaGretzkyCup.

Canada wins GOLD!

I had pretty decent seats to this game but unfortunately had to work this weekend. My cousin and his gf said it was a great atmosphere though.