Thread: Gun control in Canada

Default Gun control in Canada

Interesting stats in this article:

Toronto Shooting Reignites Canada's Gun-Control Debate - The Atlantic

Canada Is Raging Against Gun Violence—But Not Like America
    After a shooting in Toronto, the country is debating a total ban on handguns.
    SIGAL SAMUEL
    JUL 28, 2018

“Cukier believes she has that proof. “Most mass shootings in Canada are committed by legal gun owners,” she said, citing the Polytechnique massacre and the 2017 Quebec City mosque shooting among several other examples. (Mass shootings are far rarer in Canada than in the U.S.) It’s not just that those who legally own guns sometimes use them to commit crimes.
    ...”

As for Friedman’s claim that keeping a gun out of someone’s hands won’t disincline them to commit murder, Cukier said, “The evidence doesn’t support that. Look at the numbers.” She went on to analyze homicide statistics from 2016: “If you look at the rate of murders not caused by guns and you compare Canada, the U.S., the U.K., and Australia, what you see is that it’s roughly the same in all four countries, although the U.S. rate is slightly higher,” Cukier said. In other words, in a scenario without guns, the four populations exhibit roughly similar rates of homicidal behavior.

That changes when you look at the rate of murders that were caused by guns. “As soon as you add guns into the mix, you see that the U.S. has ... Canada has ... the rate of gun murders as the U.K., and ... times the rate of Australia. It’s very clear that the difference in the murder rates between those countries is a function of the availability of firearms, period.” She added ...”

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...debate/566102/
    Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 30-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Change the border laws to prevent anyone from bringing any forearms into Canada. Zero tolerance. You get caught with a gun, it's taken from you, your vehicle is seized and you're facing jail time.

If you didn't declare it at the border and it's discovered, you're charged with smuggling and face a mandatory jail sentence

If you want to come here for hunting, you need to leave your guns at home. Apply for a licence, same as Canadians do. Safety training, the whole ball of wax. You can then either rent a gun from a licenced outfitting company or purchase one here.

And that's for a start.

Ban all firearms, period. Block all sites with blueprints, and throw those who run such sites in jail. Possession of a firtearm during the commission of a crime must be an automatic life sentence.

And if a gun is discharged during a crime, execute the son of a *****.

{HATE SPEECH REMOVED}

A decent society can have no other laws for firearms. We, unfortunately, will never get there.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 30-07-2018 at 05:37 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Gangs will always find guns, always..they come from the US, and there will be even more if they ban guns here( which they wont, JT would lose votes)

Not talking about banning guns. I'm talking about banning people who bring guns across the border.

American couple charged after 24 undeclared guns seized at Alberta border
    'Failing to declare at the border is not a time-saver, and it is definitely not worth the risk'

Christopher Douglas Gies, 41, and Caroline Elizabeth Gies, 42, were on route to Alaska on April 9 when they were stopped at around 7 p.m. at the Coutts border station in Southern Alberta. The pair were driving separate SUVs and towing trailers when a search revealed the undeclared weapons, the Canada Border Services Agency said.

Authorities found eight handguns, 16 long guns and 70 over-capacity ammunition magazines that had not been declared, the CBSA said. Four of the firearms were classified as prohibited, which means they cannot be imported into Canada under any circumstances.

The couple was charged with seven counts under the Customs Act and eight counts under the Criminal Code.

They could both face fines of up to $500,000 and up to 10 years in prison for the unauthorized possession of prohibited firearms.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...alberta-border

And then there's always the "Oops,I just forgot about that" types

Americans crossing Canadian border bringing handguns with 'alarming frequency'

SAINT JOHN, N.B.—Six Americans have been charged with bringing handguns across the New Brunswick border so far this summer, as a Canadian prosecutor says it’s proving difficult to let otherwise law-abiding people know they can’t bring firearms on vacation.

---

The first case at St. Stephen, N.B., this summer came May 20. A 69-year-old New Hampshire man admitted he had a .357 Magnum in his glove compartment as border guards inspected his SUV. He was fined $1,500.

Two days later, a 27-year-old Maine woman was charged with failing to declare a prohibited handgun at St. Stephen. She has pleaded not guilty and will face trial in Saint John, N.B., on March 23, 2018, Thorn said.

On June 9, a 66-year-old Tavernier, Fla., man denied having a gun in his motor home — until border officers found a Smith & Wesson 9 mm in a locked safe. He was fined $1,500.

On June 23, a Hampton, Fla., man arrived with two undeclared guns, including a prohibited .25 calibre Raven Arms handgun. He was fined $2,000.

On July 11, there were two cases within hours.

A 59-year-old New Hampshire man heading for Roosevelt Campobello International Park denied having guns while entering Campobello, N.B., from Lubec, Maine, and was targeted for a search.

He told officers he wanted to return to the U.S. but it was too late. Officers found a .38 in a storage case in his motor home, as well as undeclared alcohol and two grams of suspected marijuana. He was fined $2,000.

That same day, a handgun was seized from a 64-year-old Jacksonville, Fla., couple at St. Stephen. It was found, undeclared, in the woman’s suitcase, where her husband had hid it without telling her, Thorn said.

“(The woman) stated that she specifically told her husband not to bring his handgun into Canada,” said Thorn.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...frequency.html

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Ban all firearms, period. Block all sites with blueprints, and throw those who run such sites in jail. Possession of a firtearm during the commission of a crime must be an automatic life sentence.

{HATE SPEECH REMOVED}

A decent society can have no other laws for firearms. We, unfortunately, will never get there.
    Can I presume that you’re not a fan of hunting?

As for the effectiveness of bans, societies have tried that with deemed bad drugs, sex, words, pictures, art, clothing and so on. The drug ban in particular only seemed to facilitate underground behaviour, organized crime and bribing of cops, politicians, etc. So I get the feeling that a gun ban would create a situation like the drugs created:

Young, wealthy, connected, protected? Get off scot free, career unaffected, could become President, PM, Governor, Premier, CEO... .

Young but poor, unconnected, unprotected? Jail time, ruined career future, slippery slope into oblivion, life on street or in jail, no recourse to avoiding a life of crime.

Plus throwing some immature 12 or 13 yr old in jail for life for holding some older guy’s gun during a crime seems pretty harsh.
    Last edited by KC; 30-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Not talking about banning guns. I'm talking about banning people who bring guns across the border.

'Failing to declare at the border is not a time-saver, and it is definitely not worth the risk'

Christopher Douglas Gies, 41, and Caroline Elizabeth Gies, 42, were on route to Alaska on April 9 when they were stopped at around 7 p.m. at the Coutts border station in Southern Alberta. The pair were driving separate SUVs and towing trailers when a search revealed the undeclared weapons, the Canada Border Services Agency said.

Authorities found eight handguns, 16 long guns and 70 over-capacity ammunition magazines that had not been declared, the CBSA said. Four of the firearms were classified as prohibited, which means they cannot be imported into Canada under any circumstances.

The couple was charged with seven counts under the Customs Act and eight counts under the Criminal Code.

They could both face fines of up to $500,000 and up to 10 years in prison for the unauthorized possession of prohibited firearms.

And then there's always the "Oops,I just forgot about that" types

Americans crossing Canadian border bringing handguns with 'alarming frequency'

SAINT JOHN, N.B.—Six Americans have been charged with bringing handguns across the New Brunswick border so far this summer, as a Canadian prosecutor says it’s proving difficult to let otherwise law-abiding people know they can’t bring firearms on vacation.

---

The first case at St. Stephen, N.B., this summer came May 20. A 69-year-old New Hampshire man admitted he had a .357 Magnum in his glove compartment as border guards inspected his SUV. He was fined $1,500.

Two days later, a 27-year-old Maine woman was charged with failing to declare a prohibited handgun at St. Stephen. She has pleaded not guilty and will face trial in Saint John, N.B., on March 23, 2018, Thorn said.

On June 9, a 66-year-old Tavernier, Fla., man denied having a gun in his motor home — until border officers found a Smith & Wesson 9 mm in a locked safe. He was fined $1,500.

On June 23, a Hampton, Fla., man arrived with two undeclared guns, including a prohibited .25 calibre Raven Arms handgun. He was fined $2,000.

On July 11, there were two cases within hours.

A 59-year-old New Hampshire man heading for Roosevelt Campobello International Park denied having guns while entering Campobello, N.B., from Lubec, Maine, and was targeted for a search.

He told officers he wanted to return to the U.S. but it was too late. Officers found a .38 in a storage case in his motor home, as well as undeclared alcohol and two grams of suspected marijuana. He was fined $2,000.

That same day, a handgun was seized from a 64-year-old Jacksonville, Fla., couple at St. Stephen. It was found, undeclared, in the woman’s suitcase, where her husband had hid it without telling her, Thorn said.

“(The woman) stated that she specifically told her husband not to bring his handgun into Canada,” said Thorn.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...frequency.html
    Wow. They should rent shippable gun lockers to everyone at the border to either keep or forward their guns to the next border crossing. Rent at a good profit margin. Then increase the find and search everyone. The fine revenues was would pay for the extra staffing and could maybe even turn a profit. Plus it would all avoid some court costs for stupid behaviour so they could focus on the smugglers.

The cost of some big "NO guns are permitted to be brought into Canada. THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING" signs at the border crossings wouldn't cost much.

Enough of this "$1500 fine for lying about having a gun" nonsense.

Anyone caught with undeclared guns would face the same, greatly increased, penalties as people found to be smuggling guns across the border. Treat it the same as supporting terrorism.

Seperate them from their children and put them in cages....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

[QUOTE=kkozoriz;896367]Not talking about banning guns. I'm talking about banning people who bring guns across the border.

here is their picture

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

{HATE SPEECH REMOVED}

You are calling for violence to be inflicted on someone strictly for their political views in the bolded section. That's hate speech, by any definition.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Aside from the cross-border movement of firearms, I think no small degree of concern should be directed towards homemade 3-D printed handguns. They may be just a sliver of a segment of guns in general, but how is the production of these controlled?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

[QUOTE=Edmonton PRT;896396]

here is their picture

Hahah, if memory serves me, that's Tremors isn't it? Good one.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

{HATE SPEECH REMOVED}

You are calling for violence to be inflicted on someone strictly for their political views in the bolded section. That's hate speech, by any definition.
    I agree.
    Ow

Why are Canadians in general so gun shy? execute gun owners? take their kids away and put them in cages? Seems extreme.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Yeah, better we should just accept our right to shoot german tourists in the head. We need to stop being so politically correct about it.

German tourist shot in head while driving in rural Alberta
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/german...erta-1.4038498
    Just a bad kid. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Residents in Cochrane say man detained in tourist shooting is a ‘troubled kid’
    Annemarie Stevenson, who says the man taken in by police was a friend of hers, says she came to the area because she recognized the home at the centre of the investigation and wanted to help.

“I explained to the cops that he is a troubled kid, he has been into cocaine, drugs, all that kind of stuff for years. Hanging around the wrong people and this was probably his downfall.”

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/residents...-kid-1.4040861
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 04-08-2018 at 02:36 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I have several friends who are legal gun owners who do NOT hunt. The are locked and legally stored. Why then have them? For their protect citing the police may not arrive in time. This is subjective as not everyone lives a (Rural) distance from the police. Still,I don't hunt and have every intention of acquiring a possession and acquisition licence (PAL). So,why condemn someone who says, "I will protect my wife, and home if need be so" with a firearm where the police cannot? "Banning firearms simply gives criminals the upper hand at robbing and worse on those with out. I live in Edmonton. Hardly a large city by any means when compared to Van or Toronto. Still, If I had a firearm and made it clear that it existed AND that I'd use it, would that not discourage the garbage of society from attempting to enter my house knowing I'd put a bullet in them? I've used firearms long before Pal's were a requirement I see society as whole degenerating. To PAL or not.....hmmmmm
    Last edited by cnr67; 04-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

We legally own handguns and keep them in our house. We take them to the range for target shooting. Our kids (both teens) enjoy shooting as well. It is a lot of fun.

My wife likes having access to a gun in the house in the event that she encounters an intruder when I am away, working out of town. It is the ultimate self-defense. I also have a peace of mind when I am out of town, and I know my family is protected if someone ever tries to threaten their safety.

I also will show no hesitation in pointing a gun in self-defense at an intruder who threatens my family. I would rather do it myself than phone the police and hope they reach us in time to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Why are Canadians in general so gun shy?
    I don't think we are. Canada has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world.

In fact, I think the large number of responsible and legal firearm owners is a large reason why Canada is so safe and peaceful.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    ...If I had a firearm and made it clear that it existed AND that I'd use it, would that not discourage the garbage of society from attempting to enter my house knowing I'd put a bullet in them?...
    i guess my first question is simply “how would they know”? would you make the garbage rounds every couple of weeks? decals on all your windows? a notice on your mailbox? signs in your flowerbeds?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

What could possibly go wrong?

Man mistakes wife for intruder, shoots twice as she returns from bathroom, police say
    https://www.wftv.com/news/local/poli...der-/738959606
    Dad thought he was shooting at a thief on Christmas Eve but mistakenly killed his son, family members say
    https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...192002299.html

What could possibly go wrong?

Man mistakes wife for intruder, shoots twice as she returns from bathroom, police say
    https://www.wftv.com/news/local/poli...der-/738959606
    Dad thought he was shooting at a thief on Christmas Eve but mistakenly killed his son, family members say
    https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...192002299.html
    I'm not sure if it would have helped in the above cases, but it is harder to casually use a firearm in Canada for home defence. For a non-restricted firearm, you have at least have the weapon unloaded in a locked case. A restricted fire arm, like any pistol, has to either stored unloaded with a trigger lock inside a locked case, or inside a full-up gun safe without the trigger lock. Here's the RCMP page about storing and transporting firearms. Combined with the Crown's view on firearm use in general, the time it takes to gain access to a firearm means people are far less likely to reach for a gun for home defence in Canada.

Based on cnr67's comment:

...If I had a firearm and made it clear that it existed AND that I'd use it, would that not discourage the garbage of society from attempting to enter my house knowing I'd put a bullet in them?...
    I don't imagine that he'd be following any of those regulations.

I LOL at all the gun owners who brag they would "defend" their family when all their doing is playing out the hero fantasy in their own head.

I own a lot of guns yet I don't go around hoping for a home invasion so I can pop some thief in the head.

A responaible gun owner wouldnt brag about shooting someone dead. Thief or no thief.