Thread: Francis Winspear

Default Francis Winspear

Interesting bio:

-

Benefactor and Friend

“...

Other branch offices in smaller centres in Western Canada soon followed, and when Winspear retired in 1965 he was the senior partner in a firm national in scope with more than two dozen international affiliations. At the time Winspear Higgins Stevenson and Co. merged with Deloitte Haskins & Sells in 1980, it controlled 26 offices in Canada and the merger made the combined entity the third largest accounting firm in Canada. (Although the Winspear and Deloitte firms were about equal in size at the time of the merger the name Deloitte Haskins and Sell was retained because of that firm's extensive international connections under the name Deloitte Haskins and Sells International.) ...”

He also recalls that Winspear took it upon himself to arrange special lectures on ethics. ‘He was keenly aware of the need to impart to youngsters an understanding of the necessity for professional ethics — he was very much alone in this at the time, but he was such a strong individual that he carried the rest along.’

Winspear was attracted to the intellectual vitality of the campus, but ...”

Among the companies which Winspear and his partners took under their wing were Swanson Lumber Ltd., Gold Standard Oils, Premier Steels, Bruce Robinson Electric Co. Ltd. and Northwest Industries, which was at one time Edmonton's largest private sector employer. During his involvement with a business, Winspear liked to drop by to have lunch and chat informally with the staff. His abiding concerns were that there be long-term thinking, that his businesses employ as few people as possible, and that they have the best machinery and ingenuity in using it for efficient production. In his companies there was no hesitation about discarding a piece of equipment if a new one on the market was more efficient.

‘I never liked my businesses to get too big. I deliberately kept them small,’ says Winspear, who made sure that his concerns employed no more people than absolutely necessary. ‘I wanted to employ as few people as possible,’ he explains. ‘My emphasis has always been on technological improvement — now that doesn't mean that the entire number of people I employed became reduced, because I was always expanding and, in effect, employing more and more and more.’

...”

https://sites.ualberta.ca/ALUMNI/his...2sprfriend.htm

Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 29-07-2018 at 07:06 PM.