Thread: How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

Default How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

It's only for the US, but an interesting diversion nonetheless, assuming that Canadians are sorta like northernmost Americans.

My results showed a strong similarity to the northwestern states on a diagonal from southern California to Chicago, and Alaska, the northeastern states (intensifying northeasterly) and... Florida! Along the eastern coast intensifying from north to south. I think that's a sign...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I enjoy these sorts of quizzes, particularly discovering the regionalism of terms that I never knew existed. My dialect most strongly correlated with the West Coast and some inland westerly states (NV & UT), with chunks of New England, too (RI, MA, NH & ME, especially).

(I must confess, years of dating a girl from New England and some time spent working in NYC drove me out of any habitual use of the term "pop".)
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

How Americans preserved British English. - BBC Culture

“Americans today pronounce some words more like Shakespeare than Brits do… but it’s in 18th-Century England where they’d really feel at home.”

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...ritish-english

I can’t access the NYT’s quiz but my wife’s family still sometimes uses “youse” (“you” pluralized) and they've been here for well over two centuries (via Quebec).

Are youse using English properly – or mangling your native tongue?

“That’s why, independently in many varieties of English around the world, the distinction has been re-introduced. Not by the resurrection of thou, but by keeping you as the singular, and introducing a new plural such as youse(Australia, NZ, SA, Ireland, Scotland), yinz(Pittsburgh, parts of UK) and y’all (US South, West Indies, Alberta).”

https://theconversation.com/are-yous...e-tongue-22488
    Last edited by KC; 27-07-2018 at 09:19 AM.

My map was closest to the Northern states whether it be West or East(not Midwest)and most dissimilar to anywhere down south. Anchorage,Boston, Honolulu were my distinctive answer cities.

I'm as dissimilar as it gets to the US flyover only states..

This is pretty predictable as I dislike southern drawl or dialect.

The quiz was highly flawed though as on several questions there could be many answers.

The question that surprised me is Mary, Marry, or Merry. I pronounce the last one differently. A couple other weird questions.

Didn't realize right away that a regional graphic display was shown for each answer.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

About like this.

This question was entertaining:

What do you call a drive-through liquor store?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^ I had to guess, because the only ones I've ever seen are in the US. Your Alaska, extreme US northeast, and Forida are much less similar than my results.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

"What do you call a drive-through liquor store? "

An extremely bad and inappropriate idea. What kind of jurisdictions have these? Never seen one, never want to, don't know what they are called. Are they next to drive through gunshops? That's the only thing I could think of that might be a worse idea.

My lord. One of the conditions of alcohol sales is seeing whether or not the patron is intoxicated. One of the ways to gauge that is how they are walking. Or that they can walk.

Do people crash into the drive through liquor stores a lot. What a gongshow idea.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

Convenient...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Convenient...
    An accident

Vehicle Crashes Through Liquor Store - 102.1 CJCY FM Medicine Hat
    http://www.cjcyfm.com/news-and-info/...-liquor-store/

Decided to investigate this phenomenon, found this fun list:

10 OF AMERICA'S BEST DRIVE-THRU LIQUOR STORES

As far as I can tell in Canada Ontario, BC and Saskatchewan allow and have them.

Sorry, I would rather go to a full service drive thru

Liquor & Guns - Burgers - Broads & Bibles
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Thanks for heeding my post. lol, thankfully this place is closed but my active imagination figured it existed somewhere in the abyss down south. lol that several places on the topten list half happy hour specials and actually some serve drinks to drive and go like margaritis. Do these places have drunk driving enforcement? If one of these despicable places operated here I would to get it closed immediately.

How gun culture permeates our everyday language | Public Radio International

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-06-...ryday-language