Thread: Part of 97th Street to be renamed Canadian Forces Trail

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Part of 97th Street to be renamed Canadian Forces Trail

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...727618?cmp=rss

A main thoroughfare in Edmonton is about to get a new name in honour of the Edmonton Garrison and the history of the military at CFB Griesbach.

A portion of 97th Street will be called Canadian Forces Trail between 137th Avenue and Anthony Henday Drive.

City councillor Jon Dziadyk, himself a reservist, submitted the idea, which was just approved by the city's naming committee this week.

Sousa said the next step will be to work on traffic signs for Canadian Forces Trail.

He thinks the city will officially unveil the honorary name later in the summer or early fall.

The city may tie in the unveiling with Remembrance Day, this year celebrating 100 years of the end of the First World War, he said.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Nice touch
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Im all for it.

I hope it also retains the number for practical purposes.

C2E SME

I wonder if there would be a way to incorporate Namayo Avenue into part of 97 Street. I like the Canadian Forces Trail idea though.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'm not opposed to renaming of streets but I wish they would stop renaming bits and pieces. Just rename the whole damn thing. It got really bad with St. Albert Trail / Mark Messier Trail / St. Albert Trail / Groat Road.

Agreed
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Yeah main roads like 137 ave 97 street 104th ave should be named I think just as long as what Vincent says it covers the entire road.

I talked to city councillor Dziadyk about it and he agreed with my point regarding multiple names for the same road being annoying and said he may apply to have this honourary name extended all the way down to Yellowhead if it proves popular, but was keeping this initial ask limited as he thought there would be opposition for much of 97th street especially through china town.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...he "thought" there would be opposition .... But did he actually solicit an opinion? Canadian Forces Trail would be opposed by folks, especially "Chinatown" ?
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

That's what he said.

In any city except for Edmonton, this street would be renamed "Heroes way" or something like that. But... we do the mediocre bland option.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    That's what he said.

Maybe he should ask...? This reaction is typical of Old Edmonton Thinking...if I don't ask, and assume no, the answer will be no! See, I was right!
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    In any city except for Edmonton, this street would be renamed "Heroes way" or something like that. But... we do the mediocre bland option.
    yes, if by "mediocre bland" you mean "Not beating you over the head with its message and telling you what to think".

And when you say "Edmonton" you mean the one individual who came up with the name?

"In any city except Edmonton". If I had a dollar for every time I read a similar statement on C2E I'd be rich. Painting the entire city of Edmonton, and all its citizens in a lesser light than every other city on the globe. Why do people feel the need to trash talk their own city? I never understood that. Does it make you feel better to **** on your own city before somebody else does it? Are you so certain that "Edmonton" will be criticized, so you figure you'd better beat them to it so they can't include you in that criticism?

If you prefer "Heroes Way" you can say so without insulting your own city and everybody who lives here.

I'm not opposed to renaming of streets but I wish they would stop renaming bits and pieces. Just rename the whole damn thing. It got really bad with St. Albert Trail / Mark Messier Trail / St. Albert Trail / Groat Road.
    100% agree. Also if you don't rename all or at least enough of the road the name doesn't stick as most see it as 97 street for example.

Agreed, it should be the whole thing, at least from Yellowhead. The proposed name is bland, though, and I would prefer not renaming something that already has a historic name that still makes sense.

Old Namayo avenue still goes to Namao, and to what we used to call CFB Namao before the Griesbach base got shuttered.
    There can only be one.

And when you say "Edmonton" you mean the one individual who came up with the name?

"In any city except Edmonton". If I had a dollar for every time I read a similar statement on C2E I'd be rich. Painting the entire city of Edmonton, and all its citizens in a lesser light than every other city on the globe. Why do people feel the need to trash talk their own city? I never understood that. Does it make you feel better to **** on your own city before somebody else does it? Are you so certain that "Edmonton" will be criticized, so you figure you'd better beat them to it so they can't include you in that criticism?

If you prefer "Heroes Way" you can say so without insulting your own city and everybody who lives here.
    And also for C2E it is SOP to overreact in a bizarre way and to stir intense animosity to a topic that just needs some measured discourse. I meant what I said, take it at face value. "We don't get nice things" is, I would say, a commonly held view. It's a dumb name, don't care how it happened... just pointing out that this sort of mediocrity happens all the time.

In Winnipeg its called Air Force Way, In Kingston - Navy Way. Trenton is RCAF Road. Halifax has Valour Drive But the City of Edmonton has already named 195 ave as Valour Ave. I think most Bases just have generic street names for their main entry points with roads within the base having military relevant names..