Thread: C2E discord?

Default C2E discord?

Has anyone thought to make a C2E discord at all? or would it just be a bad idea with fights and banning happening when people dont agree with each other?

So i take it there is no intrest at all.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'd warrant a lot of people don't know what Discord is. Personally I do use Discord with some of the gaming I do but I'd have no interest in it for C2E. I think Discord would just amplify the dysfunctional parts of C2E at the expense of the reasonable parts.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I'd warrant a lot of people don't know what Discord is. Personally I do use Discord with some of the gaming I do but I'd have no interest in it for C2E. I think Discord would just amplify the dysfunctional parts of C2E at the expense of the reasonable parts.
    With the right moderation i would think the dysfunctional part would think twice before trolling / griefing

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    With the right moderation i would think the dysfunctional part would think twice before trolling / griefing
    And there lies the problem.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i would think it's tough enough to moderate the forum "as is", never mind introducing a live chat component to the printed/posted word. unless you're volunteering to try and do that 24/7?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Cool to know everyone else here knows best... It must be great to be so perfect...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Cool to know everyone else here knows best... It must be great to be so perfect...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Sadly predictable...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i would think it's tough enough to moderate the forum "as is", never mind introducing a live chat component to the printed/posted word. unless you're volunteering to try and do that 24/7?
    i mean i run my own discord as is anyhow also there are bots that can help as well if needed

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Sadly predictable...
    whats the issue?

I'd be surprised if more then 5 percent of the users here use discord... why not create one and if people join then great.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    I'd be surprised if more then 5 percent of the users here use discord... why not create one and if people join then great.
    i mean i get most everyone here are older then i am and dont know that much about tech but hell i though i would get a gauge of intrest before doing anything semi surpised med's and noodle havent came and chimed in yet tbh

“older then i am and dont know that much about tech“

Age no longer is a good gauge of tech knowledge. Some of us have been online for close to 30 years.

What would even be the point of a discord chat for C2E?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i mean i get most everyone here are older then i am and dont know that much about tech but hell i though i would get a gauge of intrest before doing anything semi surpised med's and noodle havent came and chimed in yet tbh
    there’s probably more than a few people here older than you that have forgotten more about tech than you’ll ever know. it also seems there are more than a few people with better social skills than you... you asked if there was interest in something. it’s pretty apparent there isn’t. maybe that’s where you should let it be instead of throwing out insults and challenges and proving the question in your original post.
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-06-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Age no longer is a good gauge of tech knowledge. Some of us have been online for close to 30 years.
    My dad was one of Shaw's first high speed customers in their trial launch of High speed cable internet back in Sherwood Park in ?1996? So at least a good 22 years for me. We never had dial-up, but we had a computer in our house since 1986? My mom has a better understanding of how computers and the internet works than most kids coming out of high school do now... She's just about 70 now.

there’s probably more than a few people here older than you that have forgotten more about tech than you’ll ever know. it also seems there are more than a few people with better social skills than you... you asked if there was interest in something. it’s pretty apparent their isn’t. maybe that’s where you should let it be instead of throwing out insults and challenges and proving the question in your original post.
    Wasnt thowing insults at all but hey you keep being you

Do you even read what you write Magno?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Was wondering when this would get derailed and become all about me / another poster / Ian O. never change C2E never change

Maybe its you?

semi surpised med's and noodle havent came and chimed in yet tbh

wtf did you expect when you post stuff like this? It's like you are purposely inciting others to get the reactions you want, then your all like 'c2e being c2e'... No, its just you, being you.

wtf did you expect when you post stuff like this? It's like you are purposely inciting others to get the reactions you want, then your all like 'c2e being c2e'... No, its just you, being you.
    Actualy i wanted your input on it thats what i was getting at not some ******** like its has now turned into. but again it wouldnt be C2E if it didnt end up like that now would it

Was wondering when this would get derailed and become all about me / another poster / Ian O. never change C2E never change

Actualy i wanted your input on it thats what i was getting at not some ******** like its has now turned into. but again it wouldnt be C2E if it didnt end up like that now would it

ya okay sure...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Magnus:

I'd wager that if people are still posting on an old-school, Web 1.0 site like C2E, it's because they don't have much interest in Web 2.0(or whatever it's up to now) stuff, at least not for simple conversation and debate.

Even if people ARE doing some of the newfangled stuff in other venues, it might not be what they want when they come to this place. Personally, I had never heard of Discord before this thread, and I still don't really have a clear idea as to what it is. Nor am I particularly inclined to make an effort to find out.

And, as a rule, I find audio communication over the internet kind of annoying. I don't even really like Skype. But that's nothing against people who do enjoy those things.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Magnus:

I'd wager that if people are still posting on an old-school, Web 1.0 site like C2E, it's because they don't have much interest in Web 2.0(or whatever it's up to now) stuff, at least not for simple conversation and debate.

Even if people ARE doing some of the newfangled stuff in other venues, it might not be what they want when they come to this place. Personally, I had never heard of Discord before this thread, and I still don't really have a clear idea as to what it is. Nor am I particularly inclined to make an effort to find out.

And, as a rule, I find audio communication over the internet kind of annoying. I don't even really like Skype. But that's nothing against people who do enjoy those things.
    Thanks for the feedback also if you want you want to learn what it is here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord_(software)

Magnus:

While audio can be used on Discord it's more of big chat server with good management and notification that can also host audio channels. It's like a more complex Slack. I use it as part of an MMO I play. The group I play with is around the world we use Discord for general text chat outside of the game and have also written notification systems so in-game actions can generate alerts in Discord. We use audio chat for specific events more than general chat.

All that said, personally I don't see it as having any particular value add for this group.

I was mildly interested in what Discord was, but the jabs at other posters, the ignorant stereotyping, and the subsequent banter was far more interesting - a great distraction. Real discord is far more fun than just another voip to do end-runs around full disclosure through posting.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

and if part of this thread was to demonstrate your ability to self-moderate even your own posts on your own thread, you should know that you have failed. this thread turned into what you turned it into, not a reflection of c2e overall. c2e overall might not be perfect but overall there is more constraint and self discipline and self moderation on c2e than you chose to display on a subject appropriately if inadvertently named discord. and for what it's worth, constraint and self discipline and self moderation probably take place more often in what's not posted or not said than what is.

Magnus:

Thanks for the feedback also if you want you want to learn what it is here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord_(software)
    Curently, the beauty of text and fixed graphics formatted into categorized, chronological threads is that prior material can quickly be scanned for information and any trains of thought, can be followed pretty easily. Basically, visually, it’s is all there - though it’s missing audio, motion, smell etc. Addition information such as audio and video being interspersed or indexed into threads would be great but practical search capabilities aren’t readily available. Using some sort of side messaging or chat system would be just that - a side system - not integrated into threads.
    Last edited by KC; 19-06-2018 at 11:27 AM.

and if part of this thread was to demonstrate your ability to self-moderate even your own posts on your own thread, you should know that you have failed. this thread turned into what you turned it into, not a reflection of c2e overall. c2e overall might not be perfect but overall there is more constraint and self discipline and self moderation on c2e than you chose to display on a subject appropriately if inadvertently named discord. and for what it's worth, constraint and self discipline and self moderation probably take place more often in what's not posted or not said than what is.
    I believe the C2E appropriate phrase here is... Bingo.

The original post seemed like a pretty simple question to me....

Actually, it's two questions, and IMO they're a little on the murky side.

Has anyone thought to make a C2E discord at all? or would it just be a bad idea with fights and banning happening when people dont agree with each other?

The first, I'd say, is not really a true question at all, but a rhetorical question, meant to imply "Hey, we should think about making a discord."

And the second, while presenting a surface appearance of even-handedness, actually rather limits the terms of discussion, by implying that the only reason someone would reject the idea of a discord is because it would lead to fights. (IOW, if you don't think it would cause fights, there is no other reason to oppose it.) Plus, it kind of preemptively blames the character of the board for any potential failure to adopt a discord.

Not that I have any objection to the OP, even in its somewhat slanted form. Just that "pretty simple question" is not how I would characterize it.
    Last edited by overoceans; 20-06-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Actually, it's two questions, and IMO they're a little on the murky side.

Has anyone thought to make a C2E discord at all? or would it just be a bad idea with fights and banning happening when people don't agree with each other?

The first, I'd say, is not really a true question at all, but a rhetorical question, meant to imply "Hey, we should think about making a discord."

And the second, while presenting a surface appearance of even-handedness, actually rather limits the terms of discussion, by implying that the only reason someone would reject the idea of a discord is that it would lead to fights. (IOW, if you don't think it would cause fights, there is no other reason to oppose it.) Plus, it kind of preemptively blames the character of the board for any potential failure to adopt a discord.

Not that I have any objection to the OP, even in its somewhat slanted form. Just that "pretty simple question" is not how I would characterize it.
    Thank you for explaining it so much better than I ever could. I have never been good at explaining stuff let alone attempting to have a convo with people unless it has to do with games or computer stuff