Thread: Fat bike advice

Default Fat bike advice

So I have been looking at the Diadora Artico Men's Fatbike 2018 https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332363384.html
    and I'm just looking for advice about fat bikes in general, I'm aware they can easily float across some surfaces and all that but I'm wondering about how they would handle on road surfaces and if it would wear the tires down prematurely.

As a winter fatbike rider for 5 years now, you're much better off getting something used (in the same price range) that isn't a department store brand like everything Sportchek sells. You'll get much better quality components and overall much better bike that will last you much longer, for the same price as the model you've linked.

As for how it handles on the road, it all depends on which tires you use and the pressures you run, they are obviously a bit slower than a regular mtb... but not that slow. Harder on body to go longer distances, especially if you are on a rigged fatbike.

What kind of pressures do you typical run meds???

Depends on what I'm riding on (and it also varies depending on the tire type and the weight of the rider+bike)

If I'm on the paved, 15-20 psi
    gravel 10-15 psi
    snow 4-10 psi (depending on if the snow is loose, hard pack, fresh, etc)

so many variables, its mostly about figuring out what pressure works best for what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure what your purpose of a fatbike is, but if its solely road, I probably wouldnt choose a fatbike.... even in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Depends on what I'm riding on (and it also varies depending on the tire type and the weight of the rider+bike)

If I'm on the paved, 15-20 psi
    gravel 10-15 psi
    snow 4-10 psi (depending on if the snow is loose, hard pack, fresh, etc)

so many variables, its mostly about figuring out what pressure works best for what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure what your purpose of a fatbike is, but if its solely road, I probably wouldnt choose a fatbike.... even in winter.
    Run around to some of the local bike shops and see what they have for last years brands. Also you can test drive a few and see what feels best.

As for tire pressure it is a very personal setting. Again its what feels best for you. I vary the pressure on all my bikes based on the conditions and how fat I feel.

LOL, Do these tires make me look fat?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...