Thread: Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Eskimos 2018 Season and Grey Cup 2018

Let's kick this off!

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Pumped for the season and the Grey Cup being here.I think there's a good chance we are playing in the big game come November as well!

Less than 7000 tickets left! Let's break our own record!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Tickets aren't really going all that fast actually.

38K were sold to STH as holders could buy more than their allotted STH seats. Around 8K were sold Yesterday, around 2K today.

One of the huge differences is the 2010 GC had capacity of 63K. This one will only have a capacity of 55K. (Seats are bigger now)

What I'm noting is the the cheapest price point seats went Fairly fast on Friday and Today. They were still available but now only in quantities of 1. On the other hand if you want to spend 200bucks or more per ticket a large supply of those exist. Its harder sale to sell row 84 seats in the corner for the kind of prices they are asking.

The most interesting thing is Edmonton Metro pop is around 200-250K higher than it was the last time we hosted the GC and yet less tickets were sold to STH than the last time.

I think actually its going to take a fair time, a week at least to sell out these expensive seats that are left. People don't mind paying a lot for premium seats but everything left isn't premium, just the pricing is..

Been to two GC's here, not bothering with this one. Could have got as many tickets as I liked.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Pumped for the season and the Grey Cup being here.I think there's a good chance we are playing in the big game come November as well!
    I think a good result for this club what with all the changeover in lineup would be playoffs as a starting point and see what happens from there. The Good News is the Stamps are pretty decimated but All of Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Sask look to be pretty competitive this season. The Esks D this year has a lot of changeover. Then the premium receivers that are gone.

This club goes as far as Mike Reilly does but any injury to him and its over. We have crap at QB after that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Tickets aren't really going all that fast actually.

38K were sold to STH as holders could buy more than their allotted STH seats. Around 8K were sold Yesterday, around 2K today.

One of the huge differences is the 2010 GC had capacity of 63K. This one will only have a capacity of 55K. (Seats are bigger now)

What I'm noting is the the cheapest price point seats went Fairly fast on Friday and Today. They were still available but now only in quantities of 1. On the other hand if you want to spend 200bucks or more per ticket a large supply of those exist. Its harder sale to sell row 84 seats in the corner for the kind of prices they are asking.

The most interesting thing is Edmonton Metro pop is around 200-250K higher than it was the last time we hosted the GC and yet less tickets were sold to STH than the last time.

I think actually its going to take a fair time, a week at least to sell out these expensive seats that are left. People don't mind paying a lot for premium seats but everything left isn't premium, just the pricing is..

Been to two GC's here, not bothering with this one. Could have got as many tickets as I liked.
    Perhaps the Alberta economy is a factor if you compare 2010 to 2018?

I have no worries the Grey Cup will be sold out because remaining tickets will be scooped up by fans from other CFL cities.

Don't forget last Sunday's exhibition game against Sask drew 28,000. It was played in late May. So there definitely is some hype surrounding the Eskies this season.

I am in charge of the Eskimo game day school bus that runs out of the lounge of my part time job. I get free tics for the regular season but I have to buy my own Grey Cup ticket. I just need a single seat ticket.

As of dinner time:
    The cheapest is $103 ($131 after fees/tax) for Row 58 and higher. All singles.
    Or I can pay $272 (before fees) for Rows 4-20. But most of those seats are under the Scoreboard or within the 5 yard line.

So yes, the tickets are pricey. But I will buy one just because this event happens every decade or so.

The party will be worth it if the Eskimos are playing on November 25!

^Oh for sure it will be sold out. Will take some time. They were hoping to beat the record of 6 days to sellout that they had in 2010 when attendance was a much higher 63K.

I do think the economy factors in. That's exactly why I think the higher priced tickets are harder sells in this economy. In 2010 when we went it was the low cost tickets that were harder to sell because they were in endzone or corner. Now its the 7K seats that are priced at around 200bucks but way up, and way in the corners that are not selling too quickly.

Its always been fun, a great party. But this time we will opt out, let somebody else go. Been twice, so kind of bin there done that. We will take in the GC week festivities.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is Esks Fan Day or something at Commonwealth if anybody is interested in taking that in as well as seeing a practice Its 1-4. . You can buy GC tickets right at the event. Same high prices.

I hope they win. Quite possibly the last Grey Cup that they win as the "Eskimos".

Only certain markets in the CFL can successfully sell out the Grey Cup game with the average ticket price at $180.

Toronto and Vancouver had trouble filling their stadium even though the cheapest tics were $30. I recall a couple years ago Winnipeg was scrambling to sell tickets a week before the Grey Cup game.

Kudos to the Eskimos management for selling some sizzle. Too bad the hype is missing when other CFL teams host the Grey Cup.

But I am wondering with all of the construction around Churchill Square and the library, where are they going to set up the festivities? It was party central in 2010.

Jasper Ave at 97 St, where the Shaw Conference Centre is located
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Oh, I see.

The same area where I read it was a gong show at the recent Red Bull Crashed Ice event in March.

C2E SME

How was it a gong show? The street itself was largely empty as most of the track, booths/tents etc were down the hillside (where admittedly things were a bit hairy in the dark with mediocre wayfinding and with the slippery slopes). The Grey Cup festivities are taking place on Jasper Ave itself, not on the hillside. There's going to be a ton of stuff, from beer gardens to zip lining to artificial ski slope, family zone and so on.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^ Oh, I see.

The same area where I read it was a gong show at the recent Red Bull Crashed Ice event in March.
    it was far from a gong show if you're referring to the street animation and not access to the track... if anything, there wasn't enough street animation and activity taking advantage of the potential pedestrian traffic in the area.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think a good result for this club what with all the changeover in lineup would be playoffs as a starting point and see what happens from there.

Classic.

In a league where six out of nine teams make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

I think a good result for this club what with all the changeover in lineup would be playoffs as a starting point and see what happens from there.

Classic.

In a league where six out of nine teams make the playoffs.
    Yeah, with Maas in charge I don't have high hopes for how far this club will go. Maybe he's taken some remedial Math course.

Myself I lost interest in the team the moment the Western Final last moments unfolded. Like Jason Maas took my interest in that club and popped the bubble. That and the club losing several star players in the offseason has effected my interest.

Looks like they are having a lot of trouble selling the remaining 7K tickets for the GC. Not much being sold.

I think what ends up occurring is those remaining seats suddenly disappear as some type of corporate buyouts. The Esks want to retain this illusion that fan support is greater than ever. So within this week I wonder if they get some Bars and Nightclubs to buy in and do corollary GC ticket sales. At this moment people just aren't buying the higher priced upper seats that are still available. I think sponsors and affiliated orgs will step in and buy these up for promotions.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-06-2018 at 01:21 PM.

I'm going regardless of who is in the game.The fiancé and I bought our tickets this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    How was it a gong show? The street itself was largely empty as most of the track, booths/tents etc were down the hillside (where admittedly things were a bit hairy in the dark with mediocre wayfinding and with the slippery slopes). The Grey Cup festivities are taking place on Jasper Ave itself, not on the hillside. There's going to be a ton of stuff, from beer gardens to zip lining to artificial ski slope, family zone and so on.
    Ya ya, I get it. Different organization committee and a whole different beast.

I trust Grey Cup week will be electric. I take my cheeky comment back.

I will definitely be taking part in the festivities at downtown.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Next Thursday is Esks retribution time.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Next Thursday is Esks retribution time.
    Winnipeg is going to be a tough opponent. I think it's between Edmonton, Winnipeg and Sask in the West this year. Calgary has to come back to down to earth eventually, right....right???

51k tickets sold as of today. 4,800 left.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4254814/g...onton-tickets/

One thing I don't understand is why the Eskimos have been misleading about ticket sales now for the 3rd time. Again they state; 51k tickets have been sold in 4 days. This is of course inaccurate. 38K had already been taken by STH when tickts went on sale to the Public on Friday. So that 13K, not 51K have been sold in the last 4 days. Small quibble maybe and the first couple times it happened I thought maybe just a reporter misworded it. But the Esks are intentionally saying this as if all tickets have been sold in this brief window.

Also kind of weird how they keep trying to say ticket sales have never been better. Um, they were better everytime the GC was held here. Remembering as well that Capacity attendance is 8K less than it was when the game sold out at 63.5K in 2010.

edit. They changed the comment in the article already but the headline still reads; "51,000 tickets to 2018 Grey Cup sold in 4 days" as if.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-06-2018 at 05:08 PM.

C2E SME

Wow! That game was six hours long (with the thunderstorms), but the Eskimos win 33-30!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I tried hard to stay up to watch the whole game but man, that was hard to do, especially when work starts early the next morning.

Glad to see we came out with the W after all of that. Some concerns with the D and two more players on the Dline went down with injuries last night. Hope they are nothing long term but man, not a good start to the season as we already have a number of players on the 6-game injured list.

From what I saw, Mike Reilly looked good as usual. He's well on his way to another MOP award if he keeps this up all season.

Grey Cup ticket sales still stalled.

Seems that the original rush to get these sated the demand for them at this time. Good thing for the organizers that sales stalled at 51K instead of earlier but the thought that they would beat the previous sales record of selling out in 6 days was unlikely.

Imagine if capacity was still 63K. There would be around 12K unsold tickets still. This is a vastly reduced capacity, population has increased enormously since 2010, and they can't even match those kinds of sales.

I figure it could take a fair amount of time to sell the rest unless they do some package promoting with local establishments. Selling some as promotions to bars etc. Probably what they will have to do. People just aren't buying the remaining nose bleed seats at 200 bucks a pop. Row 84 at Commonwealth feels like you are in a different time zone. its also pretty far from washroom or drinks so pretty ****** place to sit.

The two point convert tied the game, boom! The rest is history, esks win!