Thread: Premier Notley's Fourth Year

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup. Calgary 7.6%
    We are third at 7%
    Guelph Ontario, unemployment 1.0%
    Wtg dippers!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Just in time for international womens day. Sometimes Jason just can't keep his thoughts on women a secret "..men, who understand tactical politics better than women.."

https://twitter.com/HandmaidAlberta/...71512270516224
    Actually, the context is not quite as bad as the tweeter makes it out to be...

"Very typically, women candidates for nominations are running for the first time and often running against guys who have been in politics for years or decades and have a network and understand tactical politics a little bit better than women, who've been doing usually more useful things like professions and running businesses and helping with families," he said.

END QUOTE

Saying that the average male politician has been in the game longer than the average female politician, and hence has more experience, isn't the same thing as saying men are inherently better at politics than women. Though I'm not sure if at this point it's an accurate description of the typical match-up between men and women running against one another in political races.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Yup. Calgary 7.6%
    We are third at 7%
    Wtg dippers!
    Means it'll be easier to get ei
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Just in time for international womens day. Sometimes Jason just can't keep his thoughts on women a secret "..men, who understand tactical politics better than women.."

https://twitter.com/HandmaidAlberta/...71512270516224
    Actually, the context is not quite as bad as the tweeter makes it out to be...

"Very typically, women candidates for nominations are running for the first time and often running against guys who have been in politics for years or decades and have a network and understand tactical politics a little bit better than women, who've been doing usually more useful things like professions and running businesses and helping with families," he said.

END QUOTE

Saying that the average male politician has been in the game longer than the average female politician, and hence has more experience, isn't the same thing as saying men are inherently better at politics than women. Though I'm not sure if at this point it's an accurate description of the typical match-up between men and women running against one another in political races.
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Yup. Calgary 7.6%
    We are third at 7%
    Wtg dippers!
    Means it'll be easier to get ei

Some people UI has run out..I watched the news, one gentleman has been laid off more than once, he's now driving for Uber.
    No worries, we all no what lengths JT will go to, to fight for jobs! oops, wrong province

I thought conservatives didn't believe the government could create jobs, only private industry. And would this guy who's been laid off more than once be anything like the guy that Jason Kenny said was out of a job since 2015? Turns out that one or both of them are lying. Shocking, I know since they're both UCP.

Funny thing is that I have friends who are geologists that have more work than they can handle. But they work where the rocks are. BC, the Yukon, Yellowknife, Baffin Island and overseas.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-03-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yup. Calgary 7.6%
    We are third at 7%
    Wtg dippers!
    I see you posted the same stats on two threads.

Nice cherry picking by you of a small city like Guelph, a manufacturing city of only 131,000.

Why don't you look at the Canada wide numbers? Or does that not fit your narrative of blaming everything including the world oil price on Notley.

OTTAWA — Canada's national unemployment rate was 5.8 per cent in February. Here are the jobless rates last month by province (numbers from the previous month in brackets):

— Newfoundland and Labrador 11.8 per cent (11.4)
    — Prince Edward Island 10.3 (9.9)
    — Nova Scotia 6.4 (6.9)
    — New Brunswick 8.5 (8.2)
    — Quebec 5.3 (5.4)
    — Ontario 5.7 (5.7)
    — Manitoba 5.3 (5.5)
    — Saskatchewan 5.8 (5.5)
    — Alberta 7.3 (6.
    — British Columbia 4.5 (4.7)
    https://www.nsnews.com/here-s-a-quic...nce-1.23657420
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

When there were no jobs out east in the 1970's, people packed up and moved to Alberta. When there are no jobs in Alberta in the 1980's, people packed up and moved back east. When there were no jobs out east in the 1990's, people packed up and moved to Alberta thinking it would never end and not saving for a bust. When there are no jobs in Alberta in the 2010's, sorry but you may have to pack up and move back.

Ask yourself, why did we not force the PC's to keep putting money into the Heritage Trust Fund when times were good rather than wasting money on vote getting projects and giving huge tax breaks to huge oil companies ? Some of those same companies also pay far higher taxes on oil in Norway. The Progressive Conservative was in power from 1971–2015 and now it is all the fault of the current Premier??

Norway did a lot better than Alberta

Infographic

The bumper sticker

Boom and Bust in Alberta
    An oil boom creates scores of multi-millionaires but then the party ends
    https://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTE...7CH3PA1LE.html

Fiscal experts debate how to get Alberta off boom-and-bust cycle
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4937011/a...rsity-calgary/

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Alberta's unemployment numbers released. Massive drops in private sector jobs with the gain only in the public sector. Ballooning public sector jobs continue to inflate things.

Calgary with the highest unemployment in the country. Edmonton isnt very far behind.

What a world we live in that people think this is okay. Thanks a lot notley.
    Typical NDP, bump up that public sector, ugh!!!

Unemployment rates, while important, don't tell the whole story.

This overview below of the labour force stats provides important context:

The unemployment rate increased because the labour force increased by 16,900 while employment increased by 3,800 people from the previous month. Full-time employment increased by 1,900 and part-time employment also increased by 1,900 over the same period.

Between
    February 2018 and February 2019, employment increased by 13,400. The number of unemployed Albertans increased by 17,200 over the same period.

Year
    -over-year, employment gains have been led by private sector employment at 43,400.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/ce51...ruary-2019.pdf
    Given the headwinds Alberta is facing, including most recently the lack of takeaway capacity for our energy resources, the labour market is holding up rather well. I shudder to think what the numbers would be looking like by now had Premier Notley not taken decisive action last fall to narrow the price differential between Alberta oil and WTI.

https://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/ene...es#Cdndiscount

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    nice cherry picking yourself, comparing a province to a sovereign state.

does our province have historical and current flaws? absolutely.

have we done a $hitty job in some areas? absolutely.

despite that, has our economy not also shipped tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars to another level of government that your infographics completely ignore?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

nice to see kenney and the ucp correctly being lumped in with the ndp for putting forth fiscal policies and objectives that are totally unbelievable.

and of the two, rachel seems better suited to tempering policies and objectives based on current realities than kenney who seems much more likely to want to shoot first and then try and clean things up after (which really didn't work out that well for klein or for the province).

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...cal-fairy-tale

We all remember the Klein disaster. "We have a plan" turned into "we didn't have a plan, we just kept cutting until things broke and then patched them up as best we could..."

and we all see the ndp disaster unfolding before us. Spend spend spend.... tax tax tax. spend spend spend.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    nice cherry picking yourself, comparing a province to a sovereign state.

does our province have historical and current flaws? absolutely.

have we done a $hitty job in some areas? absolutely.

despite that, has our economy not also shipped tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars to another level of government that your infographics completely ignore?
    We know that Norway was a different kettle of fish but how the PC bent over backwards to give our oil away to multinational oil companies. I still remember a PC back bencher a dozen years ago state that their view was to sell it as quickly as possible because in 10 years oil would not be worth anything because it would be replaced with hydrogen.

That thinking is the type that quashes good policy decisions. The oil and gas underground are the resources owned by the people of the Province.

Meanwhile, in Norway, the government understood this and therefore made decisions based on the maximum benefits to their population. The progressive tax that assumed that beyond the base price, as the stock market value gains, the bulk of the increased windfall landed into the fund rather than the oil corporation's.

You now understand the difference in making good policy decisions are based upon the proper perspective and goals.

and we all see the ndp disaster unfolding before us. Spend spend spend.... tax tax tax. spend spend spend.
    Boy, she's dropping like a rock in the latest poll. Yipeee..

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

just because we may not agree does not mean i am the one who doesn’t understand.

Well I wasn't cherry picking as you prescribed, but the Norway model was based upon the Alberta model in the first place. It was never a apple to apple comparison but more than a few experts concur that Alberta failed to capitalize on the opportunity that our blessed resources bestowed upon us.

We are all poorer because the Heritage Trust Fund and the revenue stream were squandered by the PC party. I long for the wisdom, vision and leadership of the great Peter Lougheed.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-03-2019 at 05:34 PM.

And Alberta stopped putting royalties into the Heritage Fund and dropped it into general revenues instead. The Heritage Fund hasn't even kept pace with inflation.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well I wasn't cherry picking as you prescribed, but the Norway model was based upon the Alberta model in the first place. It was never a apple to apple comparison but more than a few experts concur that Alberta failed to capitalize on the opportunity that our blessed resources bestowed upon us.

We are all poorer because the Heritage Trust Fund and the revenue stream were squandered by the PC party. I long for the wisdom, vision and leadership of the great Peter Lougheed.
    Peter Lougheed was the best PC premier we had here in Alberta imo

Imagine how he'd be vilified by the UCP.

Peter Lougheed opposes Keystone pipeline
    Posted: Sep 13, 2011

Former Alberta Premier Peter Lougheed is adding his voice to the opposition to the controversial Keystone X-L pipeline project.

However his opposition is based on economic reasons, rather than environmental.

"We should be refining the bitumen in Alberta and we should make it public policy in the province," he said.

---

"I would prefer...we process the bitumen from the oilsands in Alberta and that would create a lot of jobs and job activity," he said.

"That would be a better thing to do than merely send the raw bitumen down the pipeline and they refine it in Texas that means thousands of new jobs in Texas."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...line-1.1078801

“LOUGHEED: What about the people of Alberta? How do we get our return?

“LOUGHEED: What about the people of Alberta? How do we get our return?
    Well, we get our return in terms of the conventional oil and gas production as a percentage of gross revenue.

PO: That is, what, a 20 percent royalty?

LOUGHEED: Yes, and when we developed the oil sands, because...”

... but what does that mean? That means the return to the people of Alberta, who own the resource, and a lot of people in this town have a hard time with the word “ownership.” But the ownership is with the people of Alberta. ...”

That means the people of Alberta, as the owner of the resource, are getting substantially less in the immediate term... maybe 15 years from now they will get it. So what is the hurry? Why not build ...”

http://policyoptions.irpp.org/wp-con...e/lougheed.pdf
    In this article Lougheed clearly saw that Albertans were taking on the inflationary return deferral risk and the inflationary risk on the average person. He also saw the overwhelmed infrastructure risk.

Maybe he also foresaw the over-production pipeline capacity risk and the Alberta as a brand risk too.
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2019 at 05:21 PM.

The natural resources are always owned by the people in Alberta.

The natural resources are always owned by the people in Alberta.
    Not so. The vast majority is crown. Some mineral rights are privately owned.

Mineral ownership | Alberta.ca
    https://www.alberta.ca/mineral-ownership.aspx
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2019 at 05:25 PM.

http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colum...alberta-econom

More data released on how much investment is leaving alberta/Canada due to federal and provincial policies. The article is aimed at trudeau and horgan as well as notley.

Yet we have ndp supporters cheering and applauding at how good things are for Alberta even tho they arent. Hip hip hooray!
    Last edited by gwill211; 14-03-2019 at 09:00 AM.

More data released on how much investment is leaving alberta/Canada due to federal and provincial policies. The article is aimed at trudeau and horgan as well as notley.

Yet we have ndp supporters cheering and applauding at how bad things are for Alberta. Hip hip hooray!

Below a quote from that article.

I’d be very suspicious of the quality of the assessment. In a past life I used to look at major projects in Alberta (digging through their filings, tracking progress, labour requirements, supply and infrastructure requirements like planned electricity consumption, cement requirements, etc. Even planned sq footage on all planned office towers, malls etc).

That said, oil price volatility, interest rates, institutional investment trends, etc. had huge ripple effects and I attended oil sands presentations where executives talked of their projects unequivocally going ahead, and then months later they would be mothballed or cancelled.

There are any number of factors driving investment and the importance of government policy tinkering (except outright subsidies, grants, loans pushing projects ahead) is often way over rated.

From 2015, when the NDP and Libs took over, until the end of 2018, total planned investment in major resource projects fell from $711 billion to $585 billion. That’s 18 per cent, which is bad enough.

But most of that investment is in long-announced projects that were well under way when the price shock hit five years ago. According to the Howe study (which was co-authored by Grant Sprague, Alberta’s former deputy minister of energy, who knows a thing or two about the intersection of politics and investment), surprisingly few already-begun projects were shelved when oil prices went in the tank.

"if all you have is a hammer,

everything looks like a nail"

So if all you have is a rather simple minded political orientation, then everything that goes down looks like it’s been hammered down by the opposing party.
    Last edited by KC; 14-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Yet we have ndp supporters cheering and applauding at how good things are for Alberta even tho they arent. Hip hip hooray!
    Did you read the actual report, or only Gunter's pernicious spin?

The CD Howe report is actually worth a read and is available here: https://www.cdhowe.org/sites/default...entary_534.pdf

No NDP supporter I know is cheering about how good things are. While the governments's value added strategy is helping, attracting new oil and gas investment to Alberta when we can't move what we already are producing out of the province is very challenging.

Despite what her political opponents claim, Rachel Notley has been a steady hand at the tiller fighting for pipelines while preventing a domestic oil price collapse in the meantime.

Stephen Carter was on 630 ched calling everyone a bigot. Caught the tail end of it and guess he was saying if you support Kenney reevaluating equalization that you are a bigot.

Jespersen said it's the first times hes heard people try and state this, while danielle laughed and mocked the thought.

Said it before but all too often the ndp ministers or their supporters get onto the radio and think it's normal to call everyone a bigot over the stupidest things.

Guess supporting the ucp's desire to change equalization now makes you a bigot.

https://www.chatelaine.com/living/ms...939321ff223b9f

Hired by Notley, smh...unbelievable.

Stephen Carter was on 630 ched calling everyone a bigot. Caught the tail end of it and guess he was saying if you support Kenney reevaluating equalization that you are a bigot.

Jespersen said it's the first times hes heard people try and state this, while danielle laughed and mocked the thought.

Said it before but all too often the ndp ministers or their supporters get onto the radio and think it's normal to call everyone a bigot over the stupidest things.

Jason was great on Ched, he didn't flinch..
    He simply said , Carter has no idea what Quebec thinks a) about oil and b) what Albertans think about equalization payments, that are anything but equal..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mandel must be getting a kick out of all this.

I can't recall where I read this but Kenney or somebody in his cabinet was saying about bitumen only floats on water or something to that affect. That was actually based on junk science apparently. Can't recall where I saw that.

I suppose if you don't like what you're hearing, change the channel or the station or maybe all are talking about the UCP leadership race shenanigans today.

So how is Stephen Carter connected to the NDP? I thought he was a former PC advisor, same party that Kenney (briefly) led.

Wasn't Kenney part of the Federal government that put in place the current equalization formula, the one he is railing against?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I suppose if you don't like what you're hearing, change the channel or the station or maybe all are talking about the UCP leadership race shenanigans today.

So how is Stephen Carter connected to the NDP? I thought he was a former PC advisor, same party that Kenney (briefly) led.

Wasn't Kenney part of the Federal government that put in place the current equalization formula, the one he is railing against?
    He was, but he also citied the part where it could be changed. IF there was a referendum..

As far as right-wing beneficiaries go, I'm wondering if it's more likely to be the Freedom Party than the Alberta Party. Assuming the public believes Fildebrandt's claim that he was never interested in the kamikaze plan.

He'll steal votes from the NDP..he sounded so lethargic this morning, half asleep mandy..? lol

As far as right-wing beneficiaries go, I'm wondering if it's more likely to be the Freedom Party than the Alberta Party. Assuming the public believes Fildebrandt claim that he was never interested in the kamikaze plan.

LOL, Fildebrandt? how many times was he caught lying, twice? pfft..

As far as right-wing beneficiaries go, I'm wondering if it's more likely to be the Freedom Party than the Alberta Party. Assuming the public believes Fildebrandt claim that he was never interested in the kamikaze plan.

What do you think Fildebrandt might be lying about in the Kamikaze controversy?

He could be. He's lied before.

You mean like Jason Kenney did when he held a fake immigration ceremony for Sun "News"?

Or these?

Kenney’s lies and alternative facts

On December 31, 2016, for example, Kenney posted a video of himself filling up his Dodge Ram in order to make a point about how much the coming carbon levy would hurt hard-working Albertans at the pumps over the coming year. Of course, the fact that Kenney saved, at most, $4.41 by filling up on New Year’s Eve, and the fact that for most of the following twelve months gas was actually cheaper than it had been on December 31, didn’t register for most Albertans. Kenney’s false narrative that the carbon levy would prove prohibitive for most Albertans was what won the day.

Likewise, even though Kenney explicitly told the Calgary Herald editorial board that LGBTQ+ kids should be outed to their parents when they join gay-straight alliances, he has somehow convinced his followers that he never said this and that any assertion that he wants to out LGBTQ+ kids is a fabrication of the NDP and the mainstream media meant to unfairly smear him.

Or, take for example Kenney and the UCP’s statement last month that “the NDP is even slapping Albertans with a whopping 75 percent tax on natural gas.” A statement that was doubled-down upon by pro-Kenney political action committee Alberta Can’t Wait with a meme stating that home heating bills would increase by 75 percent on January 1, 2018.

Of course, both of these statements are patently false (the carbon levy on natural gas is a flat rate per GJ, set at $1.51 as of January 1, and is only charged on the natural gas portion of home heating bills, not the delivery or transmission costs), but by the time the mainstream media and the government got around to pointing that out, the memes and messaging had already been shared thousands of times by UCP supporters and the folks at Rebel Media, making the fact-checking completely irrelevant.

Perhaps Kenney’s biggest whopper of the year came with his assertion in December that Bill 32, the government’s new legislation governing elections, removed all residency requirements for voting in provincial elections.

According to Kenney, the UCP, and Rebel Media, this move would allow people to come to Alberta on election day, vote, and then leave again. Although the legislation did remove the requirement for voters to have been in resident in Alberta for six months, a timeframe that was completely arbitrary, impossible to prove, and that other provinces have already removed, it still requires people to prove they are resident in Alberta before being able to cast a ballot. Again, by the time a few folks in mainstream media got around to correcting this fact, the damage had already been done and thousands of Albertans are now convinced that anybody can show up in Alberta on election day and cast a ballot.

https://www.vueweekly.com/kenneys-li...rnative-facts/

Or what about this one?

On carbon tax debate, Jason Kenney should heed his own advice

For lack of a better term, let's call it Carbon Tax Derangement Syndrome, or CTDS.

Its symptoms include a fierce opposition to the carbon tax based not on facts or logic but on partisan anger bordering on the ridiculous.

CTDS doesn't just flirt with derangement, it takes derangement out for dinner, drinks and then back home for a snuggle.

We saw a classic example last Sunday when Michaela Glasgo, the United Conservative Party candidate for Brooks-Medicine Hat, issued a tweet claiming the provincial carbon tax will cost her church $50,000 "this year ALONE."

"Unbelievable," she said. Yes, it was unbelievable because it wasn't true.

UCP leader Jason Kenney joined in with his own tweet: "We hear stories like this all the time."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...-tax-1.5001375
    And he says he's such a good Catholic, based on his work to keep same sex partners from visiting their dying loved ones in hospital, that he should know the commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness"

The Roman Catholic Church interprets the command against "false witness" more broadly than the Jewish historical context of perjury, and considers it as a broad prohibition against misrepresenting the truth in one's relation with others. This commandment enjoins truthfulness and respect for other's good name, even the dead. It prohibits detraction (true faults), calumny (false faults), gossip, rash judgment, lying, and the violation of secrets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_s...holic_doctrine
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 19-03-2019 at 10:45 AM.

He was, but he also citied the part where it could be changed. IF there was a referendum..
    Given this it involves an agreement between the Federal government and all ten provinces, wouldn't it then require 10 referendums?

I know. But what is it specifically that you think he might be lying about? You think he might actually have been interested in being a kamikaze candidate?

I know. But what is it specifically that you think he might be lying about? You think he might actually have been interested in being a kamikaze candidate?
    Well there is a whole bunch of parties on the right ... the Alberta Advantage Party (some former Wildrosers), the Alberta First Party (Independence oriented?) and isn't there another one too? No shortage of choices, one or more of them, including Fildebrandt, could benefit if Kenney stumbles.

Jean hated Fildebrandt.just as much as the other parties.

C2E SME

Calgary has as many people in the 15-40 age group as the 40+ age group. A message to young voters: go out and vote April 16!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Can the advnace polls be ready soon enough? The Alberta Party has got my vote. Maybe with all the in fighting with the UPC the AP might get more seats.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well there is a whole bunch of parties on the right ... the Alberta Advantage Party (some former Wildrosers), the Alberta First Party (Independence oriented?) and isn't there another one too? No shortage of choices, one or more of them, including Fildebrandt, could benefit if Kenney stumbles.
    There is also the Alberta party front runner Stephen Mandel

There is also the Alberta party front runner Stephen Mandel
    He's at 7%

Can you not quote 10 posts everytime you reply?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567