Thread: Canada's first Happy Wall comes to Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Canada's first Happy Wall comes to Edmonton

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-art-1.4666295

City officials hope a new public art display unveiled Wednesday will help bring people downtown, despite ongoing construction work.

A Happy Wall, an interactive public art installation made of more than 1,000 panels of colourful reclaimed wood has now found a home in Sir Winston Churchill Square. The pixel art display allows people to create messages or images by flipping the wood panels on the public art piece.

City officials said there have been fewer people in Churchill Square due to construction for the Valley Line LRT and the Stanley A. Milner Library.

Organizers hope this public art piece will bring more people to the area.

"We thought that the Happy Wall would make a fantastic addition that everyone can come and play with and enjoy. It's ever–changing, dynamic and colourful for the square," said Bob Rasko, Churchill Square programmer.

When asked if he is concerned about derogatory messages, Rasko said the pixel art installation will be changed frequently.

"The Wall itself is kind of like a public speakers' corner if you will," he said.

"People will be able to come and put up pictures and messages. As you see, even the wind is changing it so if there happens to be something that needs to be changed, the wind might even take care of it itself."

@CityofEdmonton

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Sent this to my left coasters. They love it - want me to go take pics.
    ... gobsmacked

Complete waste of money. Brings to mind the million dollar wrapped scaffolding displayed in Churchill Square from a decade ago. Same as it ever was.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

this would probably have been a lot more successful than a "happy wall":

6758_10151463891692872_1348883652_n[1] by cdnklc, on Flickr
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I saw it yesterday as I walked by. Good on the city for trying something different. I have no problem with the project.

Love it
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    this would probably have been a lot more successful than a "happy wall":

6758_10151463891692872_1348883652_n[1] by cdnklc, on Flickr
    A lot bloody cheaper I bet..LOL

I found myself walking around here today and was struck by the most grating fact of the Happy Wall's existence. Whoever is responsible for this has a fundamental misunderstanding of why people are ever in Churchill Square in the first place. No library, no pool, no museum and a noisy, dusty construction site within spitting distance. To lament a lack of citizenry in the midst of this great void is foolishness. To spend a great deal of money trying to attract people here is the height of stupidity.

Is it now?

The Civic Precinct is undergoing 26 projects within the next 36 months and just a wee bit stressed.

If anything, this is an act of citizenry, given the challenges before us.
    www.decl.org

A wee bit stressed? Theres so much construction going on DT its a place to avoid. Its poor form that the Library figured they needed a massive redo right at the same time and on top of everything else going on. One would hope at some point for a moratorium on the nightmare of construction going on in the DT area. Its like we keep building this DT place to be but it never really arrives. Its continually basically shutdown due to everything going on.

I really wonder if places like Churchill Square become even more forgotten nothing places after all the barricades, construction, noise etc.

AJS is bang on. No Library, No RAM open, AGA attraction not at all what was hoped for. Citadel in quiet season, Really nothing but construction going on in the whole area. Not even the Arena was busy this spring because they had all those open playoff dates set aside.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

36 months? Bwahaha. Your optimism is so quaint.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Is it now?

The Civic Precinct is undergoing 26 projects within the next 36 months and just a wee bit stressed.

an act of citizenry given the challenges before us? that makes as much sense as saying “an act of population”, population being the definition of citizenry.

perhaps you meant “a gift to our citizenry from those inflicting 26 projects within the next 36 months upon us” except that doesn’t sound as regally benevelent from on high to the masses of great unwashed.

i think i understand the intent of this gesture but, like the sculpture garden on capital boulevard, even if you can accept the premise that this is art and not a public amusement, the location is a fail.

if you want to make downtown more livable through the course of those projects, get transportation to stop treating our sidewalks as temporary storage yards for cones and barriers and signage not in use. pay some attention to the detours and diversions so cavalierly set and eliminate the red lights when the crossing streets are closed to traffic for the next 36 months and make some effort to keep those streets and lanes closed for construction free of sand and gravel...
    Last edited by kcantor; 23-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I really wonder if places like Churchill Square become even more forgotten nothing places after all the barricades, construction, noise etc.

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Picture taken at lunchtime on a workday. About the most sparse use of a main City plaza that you would ever see anywhere. lol that not even all the tables are taken up.

Whats the point of the pictures Ian, to confirm how few people are in the Square?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Looks busy enough, considering all the construction. Were you expecting shoulder to shoulder? Is that the goal? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Looks busy enough, considering all the construction. Were you expecting shoulder to shoulder? Is that the goal? Of course not.
    How many people work in DT offices now. I know when I did going out anywhere to get outside of the confines of the office and out in the day was the #1 pursuit. So that probably any area of the DT has as many people trying to enjoy the day outside given our near perfect weather this week.

AS I stated this is the main square in the City. The least populated main Square in any City I've been to.

That'll change when the construction wraps up. The city stated that the reason for bringing in the happy wall was to give people something to do, and to draw some people into the square despite all the construction. They know it's not an ideal situation to be surrounded by construction and they did something to make it slightly more fun and engaging in the interim.

I don't care that you've been other places with busier public squares. It's great that you have, but it has no bearing on Churchill Square. Grass is greener and all that. Wait until the construction is over, the LRT is open, fountain is fixed up, bike lanes are built, and festivals are brought back to the square. Then, in all likelihood, we'll all be subjected to posts about how "Festival X is too busy. Not enjoyable. I won't be back"

Is it now?

26 projects in this part of downtown alone and yet downtown is so ignored by the city. How many other parts of the city would love to get a fraction of the attention that the civic district is getting, let alone all of downtown.

But downtown is the ignored child of the city.

That'll change when the construction wraps up. The city stated that the reason for bringing in the happy wall was to give people something to do, and to draw some people into the square despite all the construction. They know it's not an ideal situation to be surrounded by construction and they did something to make it slightly more fun and engaging in the interim.

I don't care that you've been other places with busier public squares. It's great that you have, but it has no bearing on Churchill Square. Grass is greener and all that. Wait until the construction is over, the LRT is open, fountain is fixed up, bike lanes are built, and festivals are brought back to the square. Then, in all likelihood, we'll all be subjected to posts about how "Festival X is too busy. Not enjoyable. I won't be back"
    Assuming the Happy Wall will be back by then. It's there for just 1 year but who knows?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Is it now?

26 projects in this part of downtown alone and yet downtown is so ignored by the city. How many other parts of the city would love to get a fraction of the attention that the civic district is getting, let alone all of downtown.

I would hope so, tis our main cultural, corporate, commons...
    www.decl.org

How many patrons in IanO's pics from today would respond in the affirmative to this question: "Are you here because of the presence of a Happy Wall?"

Are lunchers gonna lunch outdoors on a 31 degree spring day? I certainly friggin' hope so. Many might have perhaps chosen to lunch around the wading pool... Oh wait, can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Assuming the Happy Wall will be back by then. It's there for just 1 year but who knows?
    The success of Churchill Square is not dependent upon the happy wall being present. It's just something to help generate some interest in the meantime.

Is it now?

I would hope so, tis our main cultural, corporate, commons...
    I'd say that Whyte/Old Stratchcona is more cultural. I'll give you corporate. But commons? Don't think so. And don't forget that commercial. Oh wait, that's WEM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    How many patrons in IanO's pics from today would respond in the affirmative to this question: "Are you here because of the presence of a Happy Wall?"

Are lunchers gonna lunch outdoors on a 31 degree spring day? I certainly friggin' hope so. Many might have perhaps chosen to lunch around the wading pool... Oh wait, can't.
    Don’ be ridiculous, of course they are not there because of the wall but it does add something positive to the Square. Much like the many murals we now have all over the city.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but I hear Happy Wall, and I think of an old C2E meme from the origin days...meant to describe things overhyped, overblown, and overly promoted as transformative and other word salad adjectives...and then the requisite explosion of anger when "taunted"...

From Wikipedia...

when the right words are...It's interesting...

Churchill has some life. That's great. After the transition, there should be more. However, this "happy wall" is nothing more than a nice, cute, distraction for the time. Good on someone for trying, but let's not make this a Happy Fun Ball shall we?
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

^ Nothing ridiculous about it. The premise of the installation is that people will populate the space as a result of its presence. That is what is deserving of ridicule. Which is my original point - why spend money on this when the hardcore lunchers are going to use the space anyway? The adjacent attractions (which are all closed) are what populate Churchill Square with non-lunching citizens and I'll guarantee none of them are thinking a trip to visit the Happy Wall is worth their time.

This is a white elephant that a couple of tall foreheads at CoE and EAC cooked up as busy work and, frankly, lays bare our incredibly flawed, antiquated (and potentially corrupt) system for disbursement of civic arts dollars.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

^ Nothing ridiculous about it. The premise of the installation is that people will populate the space as a result of its presence. That is what is deserving of ridicule. (...)
    ...which...if you carefully read what I said...is my point. This "wall" is not the transformative thing it is touted to be by some. It's a nice addition...but if you dare challenge the assertion that this is not the reason why people are visiting, you're derided as a heretic...

aka...Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...which is an underlying message in the entire skit.

I've seen people on twitter planning excursions to Churchill specifically to write a message on the wall. They even pre-planned it so they could do it quickly since apparently there have been small lineups at times.

I'm sure I'll end up there eventually either with friends or as part of a work thing, and I can guarantee it's not somewhere we would go during all this construction if the installation wasn't there. Take that for what you will.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

again...it's nice. I hope you have fun.

Transformative...a "reason" for many people to now go that wouldn't normally go before? No.

That's what I take from it...and from what you posted.

I don't think it's transformative. It's a reason for some people to go though.

I've seen people on twitter planning excursions to Churchill specifically to write a message on the wall. They even pre-planned it so they could do it quickly since apparently there have been small lineups at times.

I'm sure I'll end up there eventually either with friends or as part of a work thing, and I can guarantee it's not somewhere we would go during all this construction if the installation wasn't there. Take that for what you will.
    Bullsh*&t.

I wasn't replying to you RichardS. I was replying to Doug who claims my premise is "ridiculous". You may have noticed our posting times precisely the same.

Bullsh*&t.
    What would I have to gain from lying about seeing people planning to go write a message on the wall? Search the hashtag on twitter and you'll find a post about people waiting for their turn.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 24-05-2018 at 12:26 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Agreed. It is a silly thing to lie about, and I am sure people are wanting to go and play. It is a neat idea. There are enough curious or artistic people, along with advertisers, who will want to try.

I also get why people are annoyed. It isn't about the happy wall; rather, the inflated capabilities of its abilities flaunted about...

I do tire of the abuse of "transformative" or "game changer" . The pictures on this thread do show activity, but nothing significantly more than what I see on pretty much any sunny workday.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I wasn't replying to you RichardS. I was replying to Doug who claims my premise is "ridiculous". You may have noticed our posting times precisely the same.
    Thanks for clarifying.

How many people work in DT offices now. I know when I did going out anywhere to get outside of the confines of the office and out in the day was the #1 pursuit. So that probably any area of the DT has as many people trying to enjoy the day outside given our near perfect weather this week.

AS I stated this is the main square in the City. The least populated main Square in any City I've been to.
    Totally agree (Bolding mine)

The happy wall is not transformative. What is transformative is a warm sunny day. If it was raining or snowing, would anyone be using the happy wall? NOTHING brings out people more than some sunshine and it costs the taxpayers NOTHING!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Is it now?

perhaps IanO has a detailed breakdown but (a) i’m pretty sure the 26 includes private as well as public projects that aren’t going anywhere other than downtown; (b) they’re not all downtown only projects (i.e. lrt construction and the library); and (c) they’re not all beautification/lipstick/lifestyle projects (i.e. eliminating/upgrading combined storm/sanitary sewer lines so we can stop dumping raw sewage in the river).
    Last edited by kcantor; 24-05-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Just to be clear, nobody has actually said that the Happy Wall is transformative. The first use of that word in this thread was in post #28 by RichardS making the point that it's not transformative.

The pictures IanO posted were directly in response to Replacement's post questioning if Churchill was a forgotten space now that it's basically surrounded by barricades and construction, which it apparently is not (at least not any more than usual). They were not meant to illustrate that the Happy Wall is driving crowds en-masse to the square. He even quoted Replacement in the post, so there should be no confusion there.

Bullsh*&t.
    What would I have to gain from lying about seeing people planning to go write a message on the wall? Search the hashtag on twitter and you'll find a post about people waiting for their turn.
    Hey pokemon was a craze. I never underestimate what people are prepared to do going to places for very little reason. I don't doubt what you are stating. Its just not much of a draw. Its a bit silly. If I wrote something there it would be along the lines of think twice about construction, stop reconstructing the Library, the DT, etc. Its that it never stops. The construction frustration has probably impacted everybody. Whats the point of having a DT library in Arts District that isn't located there for several years and that had multiple other refits. My last decades of memory of Stanley Milner is "under construction:"

I Do think the picture of the happy wall is kind of funny. Because it would be almost impossible to frame a shot of it without cranes, barricades, scaffolding, hoarding, blocked sidewalks etc.

Just in my lifetime I've seen several DT libraries, several refits, several versions of what Churchill Square should be, Multiple City halls, Two art Galleries, two versions of Citadel Theater, Mac plus new Mac, Mac closed because of New Mac horrendous addition, Mac reopened after New Mac was nuked into hell. Its just nonstop in this city and because we never seem to get it right. Who really likes the new Milner Library? We're waiting several years for this to open? What was the bloody point.

In this city you don't have to move, you just wait for the next total redo on a DT that just seems never really done. Buildings here are like hairstyles. If you don't like something, just wait long enough..

Disconnected thought, and jumping on Richards train a bit but I think part of the reaction to stuff like this from at least older folk is how much it reminds one of whacky "you'll have fun with Hasbro toys or this is the best Milton Bradley game ever.." To those not in the know those jingos basically define hyperbolic hucksterism. The stuff was just pointless garbage. Pure marketing. Not a memory had except how much any of those products sucked.

My generation I like to think, or at least my friends had all kinds of resistance to such quaint ideas about what fun is. Or about what toys are. To us fun was sticks, a playing object (could be anything) and whatever happened. Or making forts out of pure scrap or getting lost in ravines or setting up camps or wandering around finding things to do outside. We made a lot of our own fun then. Before tech, gizmo's, gaming.

Now fun seems to be whatever latest contrived thing was a craze in Korea or Japan or some such tech place. Now tech is fun, regardless of what that is. So that happy wall, this shining bit of electronic pixels that reminds me of a pre digital litebright (I'm full of references) seems so silly. Its a digital nothing that has been done before. I think that its called "happywall" makes me ponder what fun looks like in say North Korea. "You will play with that wall and you will be happy"

signed, Grumpy Cat..

ps, its not surprising either what generations raised on Xbox or Nintendo view as fun. Its like equating alcohol with fun. Just that the vice is electronic. Fun, happy is a feeling, doesn't require gimmicks.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.

So that happy wall, this shining bit of electronic pixels that reminds me of a pre digital litebright (I'm full of references) seems so silly. Its a digital nothing that has been done before. I think that its called "happywall" makes me ponder what fun looks like in say North Korea. "You will play with that wall and you will be happy"

signed, Grumpy Cat..

ps, its not surprising either what generations raised on Xbox or Nintendo view as fun. Its like equating alcohol with fun. Just that the vice is electronic. Fun, happy is a feeling, doesn't require gimmicks.
    ...it's not digital. It's literally blocks that you flip to reveal colour or black. Completely analog. You're upset about something that you haven't actually taken the time to try to understand at all.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 24-05-2018 at 02:32 PM.

As in the case of most threads the negative Nellie’s come out and beat a dead horse. C2E has turned into a forum of butchers, nothing else.

That should be bitchers not butchers

Bitchy butchers...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    As in the case of most threads the negative Nellie’s come out and beat a dead horse. C2E has turned into a forum of butchers, nothing else.

Virtually every post you make here is negative. In the sense that it is negative to some, or other, or all the posters found here.

To the extent that I see your name on a post and immediately wonder who you are bitching about now.

Looks neat and people seem to be enjoying it and even some seeking it out. Good job COE!

Virtually every post you make here is negative. In the sense that it is negative to some, or other, or all the posters found here.

To the extent that I see your name on a post and immediately wonder who you are bitching about now.
    Not to start a whole thing here, but I have the same reaction when I see that you've posted.

Not to start a whole thing here, but I have the same reaction when I see that you've posted.
    Which is fine. I wasn't the one playing thought police and only here to posit on the negativity of other posters as Gord is doing regularly. I wonder if his neck hurts peering down at others so consistently.

I just thought it was odd that someone who has caustic comments for other contributors is initiating comments about negativity, OT, in several threads where they don't belong.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-05-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Bitchy butchers...
    Butch bitchers too, no doubt.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Edmonton arts council unperturbed by 'saucy,' not-so-happy messages on Happy Wall

The Happy Wall will remain a fixture in Edmonton's Churchill Square until at least May 2019.

Depending on how well it withstands Edmonton's harsh winters, the city may purchase the wall and use it again, Rasko said.

He would like to see it become a permanent fixture in downtown Edmonton.

I too would like it to be a permanent feature in Downtown for it has brought so much playful joy to so many, even with the odd explicit message by a few folks with nothing better to do.
    www.decl.org

I too would like it to be a permanent feature in Downtown for it has brought so much playful joy to so many, even with the odd explicit message by a few folks with nothing better to do.
    Yes, it's better that they leave their thoughts on something like this rather than spray painting them onto a building.

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Stephen Mandel isn't nearly busy enough these days...

Sad attempt at a joke aside this of course is the inherent problem with something as random as "happy wall". Of course any depictions and images can occur and including those that perhaps some parents wouldn't want their children to see. This occurring at the same time as a kid and family friendly dt impetus.

I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand I like that every gets potential 5 mins of free speech through this and I can understand how it would be fun for younger demographics. But the other is by making this and having it situated with City hall photo bombing whatever pictures will be taken of it lends an impression of messages being visually connected to City Hall. Not saying sanctioned by City Hall but the images can become associated with City Hall. The COE has even opened itself up to having this as meme generating criticisms of COE and initiatives. Not sure how much that has been occurring so far but theres probably been some pretty funny messages generated. Albeit that is fair in a speakers corner sense as well..

I don't like the location of that thing. It's too prominent, blocks the view of Churchill and City Hall from the south.

C2E SME

Sometimes people write stupid things, but I think for the most part that the happy wall is great.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I don't like the location of that thing. It's too prominent, blocks the view of Churchill and City Hall from the south.
    At the moment that's ok given all of the construction to the north and east...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    At the moment that's ok given all of the construction to the north and east...
    Relation in the plaza South of Library is a good spot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Sometimes people write stupid things, but I think for the most part that the happy wall is great.
    Agree

^^... not with what is planned for it
    www.decl.org

^^... not with what is planned for it
    Is it public knowledge yet?

Milner redo will expand south with exterior amenity and there are plans to demo the stage and redo the plaza.
    www.decl.org