Thread: Premier Notley's Third Year

Default Premier Notley's Third Year

How was it?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

As a general overview, it probably ended up being better than her second, partly because of her pipeline stance, and renewed suspicion about the right-wing opposition. It won't neccessarily be enough to save the government a year from now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    renewed suspicion about the right-wing opposition
    As enhanced for example, by...

I know Justin. He doesnt have a clue what hes doing. This guy is an empty trust-fund millionaire who has the political depth of a finger bowl, he is quoted as saying
    Personally, I'm not gonna go out of my way to vouch for Justin's depth of intellect. But, given that he IS supporting Alberta on the pipeline, attacking him like that just screams "I can afford to alienate an ally because I am only an oppositon leader who doesn't have to worry about actually accomplishing anything."

link

I'd rather C2E than work!

This guy is an empty trust-fund millionaire who has the political depth of a finger bowl, he is quoted as saying
    What a disservice to finger bowls everywhere. God, everything many Albertans think of JT, were summed up so nicely by Kenney..wow!

I cant wait until Notley is gone, and she will be..

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    This guy is an empty trust-fund millionaire who has the political depth of a finger bowl, he is quoted as saying
    What a disservice to finger bowls everywhere. God, everything many Albertans think of JT, were summed up so nicely by Kenney..wow!
    Still a dumb thing to say about a guy who is your ALLY in a major dispute with other provinces.

And it's gonna have zero impact on the UCP's electoral forunes, since the only people cheering it will be people who were already voting UCP.

Still a dumb thing to say about a guy who is your ALLY in a major dispute with other provinces.

And it's gonna have zero impact on the UCP's electoral forunes, since the only people cheering it will be people who were already voting UCP.
    I didn't find it dumb, we all know JT doesn't want KM built!
    He's far from an Ally of AB, he knows if he says jump, Notley says how high? He won't have it so easy, when different premiers are voted in..

Yesterday at the Federation Lunch that I attended put on by the Vancouver Board of Trade, the Calgary Chamber of Commerce and hosted by the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, Premier Notley received a well-deserved standing ovation from the entire 350 attendees.

Noticeably absent from the lunch and apparently not at the Legislature when the 100 Vancouver Board of Trade Members, BC Indigenous Leaders and Labour Representatives flew in for the day was the UPC Leader....

HL wrote:

we all know JT doesn't want KM built!
    How do "we all" know this?

HL wrote:

It’s just an old tactic people regularly use to not feel alone.

I think the general concern is that the Prime Minister might well be talking a big game about supporting the pipeline, but has not really committed any great action to force BC to let the pipeline through. The fear is he's hoping the whole thing will collapse, as BC votes and Quebec votes are more important to him then Alberta votes, and he won't risk those votes by acting strongly for the pipeline.

To get back to the thread topic, Premier Notley may have shot herself in the foot by trusting Monsieur Trudeau. The whole point of the carbon tax was to gain social license to allow the federal government to back up the pipeline. The premier implementing the carbon tax at the provincial level was supposed to get the Prime Minister to force our pipeline through. Without the Prime Minister doing anything substantive, the pipe line is in jeopardy. If the pipeline does not go through, then the Premier's already difficult quest for re-election may become impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I think the general concern is that the Prime Minister might well be talking a big game about supporting the pipeline, but has not really committed any great action to force BC to let the pipeline through. The fear is he's hoping the whole thing will collapse, as BC votes and Quebec votes are more important to him then Alberta votes, and he won't risk those votes by acting strongly for the pipeline.

To get back to the thread topic, Premier Notley may have shot herself in the foot by trusting Monsieur Trudeau. The whole point of the carbon tax was to gain social license to allow the federal government to back up the pipeline. The premier implementing the carbon tax at the provincial level was supposed to get the Prime Minister to force our pipeline through. Without the Prime Minister doing anything substantive, the pipe line is in jeopardy. If the pipeline does not go through, then the Premier's already difficult quest for re-election may become impossible.
    Very well said. The banning of BC wine imho was childish. If she'd of turned off the taps then, I think this would of all been sorted. All this posturing BS, is just that. JT, Notley and Horgan!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    HL wrote:

Its just an old tactic people regularly use to not feel alone.
    I listen to a couple of call in shows, they are right across Canada, most people calling in, say what I posted. Very few disagree...

News this morning is that Notley was getting tough and having to strong arm insurers. (Implied that some insurers were planning to close claims.)

According to the radio news she threatened to change the legislation if they didn’t grant extensions. Sounds to me that it should be changed specifically to address situations like the high volume claim events.

So note the amicable tone in the public / PR / propaganda version while behind the scenes some of these people seemed to be quite despicable...

05/17/2018

Fort McMurray Wildfire, 2 Years Later: Hundreds Of Insurance Claims Unresolved
    The Alberta government urged insurers to allow more time for claims to be worked out.

“Through the Superintendent of Insurance, the Alberta government urged insurers to allow more time for claims to be worked out.

"I'm pleased to report all insurance companies have answered our call," Ceci said.

"I truly appreciate the commitment by insurance companies to extend the limitation period and I appreciate the support the insurance industry has provided to the people of Fort McMurray and Wood Buffalo since the very beginning."”

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/05/...ms_a_23436919/

Last edited by KC; 19-05-2018 at 06:40 AM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

I'm never quite clear on what steps or particular actions Trudeau is supposed to take that will ram the pipeline through. And funnily enough, nor are his detractors. It's all generalities. What specifically should he have done sooner? Had a crystal ball to predict that the Greens would hold the balance of power in BC's minority NDP government and referred the matter to the Supreme Court 2 years ago? Because that's basically the only thing that would have made a difference. Referring it now plays in to Horgan's hands, not Notley's, because it would be a year plus before a decision was made. Past that, what specific, actionable steps should Trudeau have taken?

As far as Notley goes, she isn't going to get re-elected pretty much no matter what. Not unless the UCP totally flub the election. And while I have many choice words to describe Kenney, the fact is he's a very effective and disciplined politician, and I doubt that's going to happen. Albertan's seem all too eager to go back to one party rule, for some odd reason.

Federal grants for all sorts of projects could be redirected elsewhere. But in truth Justin lacks the political will to do something drastic, he'd loose a lot of votes if he decided to reduce equalization to BC or other similar tactics.

To get back on topic, all the province can do is sell oil or gas elsewhere, and if they are selling it to the highest bidder and it's not BC, there isn't much BC can do.
    Last edited by sundance; 22-05-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Federal grants for all sorts of projects could be redirected elsewhere. But in truth Justin lacks the political will to do something drastic, he'd loose a lot of votes if he decided to reduce equalization to BC or other similar tactics.
    It's true that JT might be pulling his punches with BC, but I think you'd find any federal PM, of any party, doing the same thing, depending on what the province in question was.

In 2011, the Conservatives took 73 out of 106 seats in Ontario. If Alberta had been trying to get a pipeline through Ontario during the subsequent parliament, I'm really doubting that Harper, however supportive he may have been of the project, would have had any inclination to make Ontario scream for mercy.

Stupid BC. We don't want your dirty oil!!!
    BC, don't you turn off the taps to that dirty oil, we'll take you too court..

Stupid BC. We don't want your dirty oil!!!
    BC, don't you turn off the taps to that dirty oil, we'll take you too court..
    Just a twist on the NMBYism we all love to quietly practice.

On top of that I can think of three more factors at play:

Firstly, fighting pipelines is just the latest tactic by the environmental movement of the day.

Secondly, our exporters and provincial / fed. governments want to ship diluted bitumen which presents new environmental fears that the spills couldn’t be sufficiently cleaned up. To me, those are valid fears until proven otherwise. The actual US experience was not positive, but recent lab testing is showing positive results.

Thirdly, the pipeline will substantially increase shipping traffic. There will be real and perceived risks to any increase.

Nonetheless, it’s been reviewed and approved so it should now proceed.

Going forward there needs to be a review of the risks, preparations should events happen and if BC has issues with anything, address them before the next project proceeds to a point of no return.
    Last edited by KC; 23-05-2018 at 02:41 PM.

It's true that JT might be pulling his punches with BC, but I think you'd find any federal PM, of any party, doing the same thing, depending on what the province in question was.

In 2011, the Conservatives took 73 out of 106 seats in Ontario. If Alberta had been trying to get a pipeline through Ontario during the subsequent parliament, I'm really doubting that Harper, however supportive he may have been of the project, would have had any inclination to make Ontario scream for mercy.
    For a number of reasons, there’s a time where those with the power granted to them need to firmly exercise their authority. It seems to me that, right or wrong, Alberta had the NEP pretty much imposed on it.

Notley can turn off the taps, it would improve her chances of re-election a bit (probably not enough, but maybe she won't lose as bad), Justin is facing the possibility of defeat and can't afford to lose any BC votes, whatever he does probably won't change the Liberal voting in Alberta, so politically the best thing for him to do is nothing.

Notley can turn off the taps, it would improve her chances of re-election a bit (probably not enough, but maybe she won't lose as bad), Justin is facing the possibility of defeat and can't afford to lose any BC votes, whatever he does probably won't change the Liberal voting in Alberta, so politically the best thing for him to do is nothing.
    Isn't that what he does most of the time?

For anyone still defending Kenney's comments on Trudeau...

Alberta United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney says he regrets calling the prime minister empty and clueless.
    link

Alberta United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney says he regrets calling the prime minister empty and clueless.
    link
    I didn't defend him , I agreed with him. I know Kenney is frustrated, you can see just how many tweets and questions he gets online, let alone through email and texts He just lost it, and that's allowed after after a three year campaign etc..Notley moves at a snails pace, and I think JT is as deep as a baking tray

Wasn't it JT who called Peter Kent a piece of excrement, who elbowed a female n the chest and said get the F out of my way, he has no room to complain..besides he is still on his apology /crying tour.!

link
    I didn't defend him , I agreed with him. I know Kenney is frustrated, you can see just how many tweets and questions he gets online, let alone through email and texts He just lost it, and that's allowed after after a three year campaign etc..Notley moves at a snails pace, and I think JT is as deep as a baking tray

Wasn't it JT who called Peter Kent a piece of excrement, who elbowed a female n the chest and said get the F out of my way, he has no room to complain..besides he is still on his apology /crying tour.!
    Interesting:

Uproar as Justin Trudeau hurls four-letter obscenity at Peter Kent in House of Commons – National Post

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...f-s-in-commons

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

link

Interesting:

Uproar as Justin Trudeau hurls four-letter obscenity at Peter Kent in House of Commons National Post

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...f-s-in-commons
    Omg that picture, what phase was that, Johnny Depp cleaned up, he's such a maroon.

Well, looks like he's now definitely doing something.