Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2018 off-season

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Oilers 2018 off-season

Now that the Oilers season is over, time to delve into off-season chatter.

First up - Iro Pakerinen signing with KHL:
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...eading-for-khl

Plus, what to do about the coaching staff?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Turf everyone under Todd.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Funny, well not really, but both Oilers and Flames had terrible power plays and PK at home - along with terrible home records.

Both had goalie issues - theirs with the backup, ours, well bad year for Cam, hope it's outlier.

Difference? We tanked early and often - they tanked late and often.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Turf everyone under Todd.
    You forgot above, as well!

Ah, I'm fine with giving Todd and Chia another year to see what they can produce. Both the PK and PP were horrible, so the people responsible for that have to go.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Looks like it may be Gulutzan and Yawney as assistant coaches while Woodcroft becomes head coach of Bakersfield.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I hope they can talk TM into stabilizing his lines. Just mixing them up all the time with nobody knowing who's going to be playing with who can not be good. Put some lines together and have them stay together so they can familiarize and get to know each other WELL. Enough of this mix and match all season.

Hart Finalists Kopitar, Hall, MacKinnon.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Oilers pick 10th in the draft, a drop from 9th

C2E SME

That seems like a lot of money for a bit of a Hail Mary. Why not target someone like Elliott, Johnson, Khudobin, Grubauer, Neuvirth, Mrazek or Bernier? They're all in the same range salary wise and are actually proven 1B's in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    That seems like a lot of money for a bit of a Hail Mary. Why not target someone like Elliott, Johnson, Khudobin, Grubauer, Neuvirth, Mrazek or Bernier? They're all in the same range salary wise and are actually proven 1B's in the NHL.
    Colorado signs a KHL goalie with a better average for $650K.

But Oil guy is 6'6".

I've wondered why teams go for height, rather than width. Someone should sign a sumo wrestler.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Jimbo, haven't you heard? The more you pay a player, the better he plays. Just look at Luc... wait... nevermind!