Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humboldt hockey team tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It was 5pm on what I read was a sunny day. The sun would likely be in his eyes from an angle and fairly low in the sky due to the time of year
    The sun was not in his eyes, it was still high in the sky when parents and police arrived. When it gets in your eyes, is when it's on the horizon.
    Or when it reflects off the snow.

Then there’s the crap people hang on their rear view mirrors* plus the screens they are now sticking on their windshields- I have a thread here on that peeve of mine . (Not likely an issue in a truck and definitely not an issue at highway speeds. More of a pedestrian and urban intersection risk.)

Additionally, I have transition glasses. They can darken up considerably more in the winter than in the summer. The reflected light does it.

* as an aside: I understand that the rules for having a handicap permits include taking them down when driving. Why such a rule?
    Anyway, many drivers obviously don’t care and they leave them up for their own convenience. Lots of other stuff blocking or interrupting clear lines of sight. Not a big deal in a truck but in some cars they hang down close to the dash.
    I don't have crap hanging from my rear view mirror, you do realise a semi doesn't have one, right!
    Nope didn’t realize that. Never thought about it but any with a sleeper obviously not (except to me - obviously). . So no semis?

Have never been in a semi either. Been in a number of trucks and owned trucks (the little ones)
    Last edited by KC; 12-04-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think autonomous vehicles will cut down on a lot of these kinds of tragedies in the future. I hope they get it figured out. I'm not looking forward to putting drivers out of work, but it should save a lot of lives.
    Yeah, that's the solution (sarcasm). So instead of people taking responsibility we can fault software, code and mechanical failure.
    I think that’s the future. Such tragedies may still happen but they may become very rare through such technologies. Impaired driving is a major cause of accidents. It for one would largely be eliminated. That amounts to a “solution” - an old solution - the old: Don’t drink and drive”

The whole problem with responsibility is that people won’t and sometimes can’t be responsible. Our brains have limited abilities in a number of circumstances where they can’t do the simplest things. (Like stay focused.)
    Last edited by KC; 12-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

According to reports, the Calgary-based driver had been on the job for one month, which included a couple of weeks of training. The company, Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. was not a member of the Alberta Motor Transport Association, said AMTA President Chris Nash.
    Wylie and other drivers say they took lengthy training courses and gradually worked their way up over a period of months to hauling long, heavy loads. Many companies pair rookie drivers with veterans, they said. They also limit the size of the loads and the distance of the trip until the driver seems ready to handle more.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4615567

Is such membership required, important, common?

Yes, if you Google it you'll see how common.

Here's something I googled from EU trucking regulations. How do our rules stack up?

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes...riving_time_en

The aim of this set of rules is to avoid distortion of competition, improve road safety and ensure drivers' good working conditions within the European Union.
    These rules establish that:

• Daily driving period shall not exceed 9 hours, with an exemption of twice a week when it can be extended to 10 hours.
    • Total weekly driving time may not exceed 56 hours and the total fortnightly driving time may not exceed 90 hours.
    • Daily rest period shall be at least 11 hours, with an exception of going down to 9 hours maximum three times a week. Daily rest can be split into 3 hours rest followed by 9 hour rest to make a total of 12 hours daily rest
    • Weekly rest is 45 continuous hours, which can be reduced every second week to 24 hours. Compensation arrangements apply for reduced weekly rest period. Weekly rest is to be taken after six days of working, except for coach drivers engaged in a single occasional service of international transport of passengers who may postpone their weekly rest period after 12 days in order to facilitate coach holidays.
    • Breaks of at least 45 minutes (separable into 15 minutes followed by 30 minutes) should be taken after 4 Ĺ hours at the latest.

The compliance with these provisions is subject to continuous monitoring and controls, which are carried out on national and international level via checking tachograph records at the road side and at the premises of undertakings.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Everyone goes around most rules, because things would never be on time. Customers complain, the store complains to the trucking company, or they just pull your contract. I'm so glad we sold up, when we did.

Driver charged and arrested in Calgary today. 29 counts of dangerous driving causing death and causing injury

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Driver charged and arrested in Calgary today. 29 counts of dangerous driving causing death and causing injury
    He blew the stop sign...it was easy to tell. Sad that he was very inexperienced.

If heís smart heíll jump bail and go to India or wherever. He could do life. Even if he gets one year on each consecutively thatís 29 yrs.

Or heíll get probation. 😔

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    If heís smart heíll jump bail and go to India or wherever. He could do life. Even if he gets one year on each consecutively thatís 29 yrs.
    I wonder if they saw him as a flight risk, and took his passport away?

They did but borrowing a look alike brothers or cousins or friends plus some of their id and your good to go. Then just mail it back to them.🤭

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

29 people were killed (edit, 16 killed, 13 injured). I am pretty sure this will haunt him for the rest of his life. Running away, probation, jail time...none of that will change the haunting images. It would take a special kind of person to not be mentally destroyed by this. Of course, none of this will bring people back and others need to learn that driving these 30+ tonne trucks isn't child's play....
    Last edited by RichardS; 07-07-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: fixing mistake
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Yes for sure. It was accidental not premeditated. Hard for a lot of people. A major life changing error.

It was an accident that wouldn't have happened, if he wasn't behind the wheel of a semi, after only two weeks training...the families of the dead boys will never forget, and neither should the driver, or the owner of this company

It was an accident that wouldn't have happened, if he wasn't behind the wheel of a semi, after only two weeks training...the families of the dead boys will never forget, and neither should the driver, or the owner of this company
    You're surely not suggesting the truck driver and company owner will somehow ever forget this? Good grief.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    29 people were killed. I am pretty sure this will haunt him for the rest of his life. Running away, probation, jail time...none of that will change the haunting images. It would take a special kind of person to not be mentally destroyed by this. Of course, none of this will bring people back and others need to learn that driving these 30+ tonne trucks isn't child's play....
    Best response to this side of the story on this thread. Thanks Richard.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    You're surely not suggesting the truck driver and company owner will somehow ever forget this? Good grief.
    Where's my like button?

Business as usual will not be the status quo.

The company owner, had his company put on suspension, for obvious reasons, and what did he do? Opened another company under a different name! Same exact address. Does that sound like someone FULL of remorse, he sounds like an @sshat!!!!!!
    Last edited by H.L.; 07-07-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Where's my like button?

Business as usual will not be the status quo.

Bullcrap, it was the same month! Where's my dislike button!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    29 people were killed.
    I think you mean that 16 people were killed, and 13 people injured. 29 people didn't die in the accident.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

My apologies. You are correct.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

(Ö)

Best response to this side of the story on this thread. Thanks Richard.
    You're welcome. I was getting tired of hearing conspiracy theories posted on other social media sites. The RCMP took their time because this accident has international attention, and the charges could put this person (if convicted) behind bars for a substantial amount of time. The RCM Police did not want to screw this one up.

Yes, I get that the company owner did open up another company within days of the accident. That act did receive plenty of media attention. However, nothing about that manoeuvre was illegal. Some posts on other sites were not hiding the racist overtones of their allegations on this move, but I also know many Canadian/American companies lead by born citizens that have done the same or similar things. Personally, I'd like to see the law changed so that a director/owner of a company that is suspended or under investigation for criminal code offences barred from re-opening a company in the same industry. That would go for immediate family as well. At least there would be another deterrent to ensure that the principals keep their operations above board.

...but yes...this driver (barring the slim chance that he has a heart smaller than the Grinch) will be scarred for life.

C2E SME

So I was saddened to learn on a thread on Facebook that there had been a bunch of conspiracy theories floating around on social media about the trucker, lack of charges, him possibly being a TFW and therefore the Feds are trying to cover it up, and so on. They all basically boil down to ignorance, racism, and irrational hatred of Trudeau (oh yeah, of course he's involved!). Drumbones' posts on the previous page only scratch the surface.

The driver is out on bail, and they took away his passport. He said nothing..his lawyer did all the talking.

Yes, you could learn something from him, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    Yes, you could learn something from him, after all.

Seriously Spill, other than being a troll, and a bit of a sick puppy, do you have nothing more to offer?
    No, I thought not.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^ You expected otherwise? Of course his lawyers did all the talking, what did you expect?

^^^ You expected otherwise? Of course his lawyers did all the talking, what did you expect?
    Nothing, why? I just said what was said on the news.
    What did you expect? I know what the parents expected, that was also on the news. Got a problem with that? Deal with it!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We don't know what the court will decide. Only Police and the court have the facts. Or the facts as Police gave the court. We don't know what happened. Its in the hands of the court. There are other victims of this tragedy besides the hockey players and their families. The driver of the centerpiece of this event is struggling trying to cope with this as well. What about his family? They must be devastated by this tragic event. My world is not always black and white. There are shades of grey. I will not vilify anyone until (and even then) all the facts are in. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    So I was saddened to learn on a thread on Facebook that there had been a bunch of conspiracy theories floating around on social media about the trucker, lack of charges, him possibly being a TFW and therefore the Feds are trying to cover it up, and so on. (...).

I too have seen that Humboldt 16 thread. Cover ups... nope...a.huge and serious investigation where they didn't want to get it wrong.

Yeah... I was sad to see that show up on my feed. I don't use Facebook for political items, more for the Airshow, but even then thus thread appeared.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12