Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: All encompassing shootings thread and gun control in the USA

Gee, another right winger goes on a shooting spree. Better build that wall on the Mexican border. Of course, Donald has said "You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.". I guess that this guy wasn't enough of "a star" to get away with it.

Man who had been accused of groping opens fire on Tallahassee yoga class, killing two, police say

A man who has been repeatedly accused of groping women walked into a yoga class and opened fire on Friday evening, according to Tallahassee police — shooting six people and killing two of them despite an attempt to fight him off.

Police said the shooting suspect, Scott Paul Beierle, 40, killed himself minutes before they arrived at the Hot Yoga studio, which sits above a row of restaurants at a northern Tallahassee shopping center.

---

Beierle had been arrested twice in the past six years by the university’s police, according to criminal records. The first time was in 2012, when two women accused him of grabbing their buttocks on campus, the Democrat reported. He was detained again two years later for trespassing in a dining hall.

---

Charges were dismissed for both of Beierle’s university arrests, but he was arrested again by Tallahassee police in 2016 and agreed to a plea deal for misdemeanor battery. He had asked a sunbather at his apartment if he could put lotion on her, the Democrat reported, and groped her when she refused.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.2853c27116cc

"Beierle writes that since 2013, he has been a “Job Seeker.” In 1997, Beierle says he graduated from the State University of New York at Binghamton with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Government. From there, Beierle graduated from Florida State University with a Master’s in Public Administration and Planning as part of the class of 2013. Beierle was a member of two groups on his Facebook page, FSU College Republicans and We Are Conservatives.

---

In 2014, Beierle uploaded a series of videos in which he proclaimed himself to be a misogynist. Beierle also ranted about immigrants, black people, women he went to high school with as well as mixed race couples. Beierle went by the moniker Scott Carnifex on his YouTube channel. Beierle’s YouTube channel was first identified in a report from Buzzfeed.

In other videos, Beierly rants about the “collectively treachery” of the girls in his high school. Beierly says at one point, “There are whores in – not only every city, not only every town, but every village.” He argued that women who were in mixed-race relationships had betrayed “their blood.” In another video, “The Rebirth of Misogynism,” Beierly lists the names of women he knows, including females he knew in the Army, with whom he held a grudge against.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/scott-beierle/

Where do you get the idea that this shooting was politically-motivated?

He was arrested multiple times for stalking and sexual assault. My question is why was an animal like him not in prison?

Another mass shooting that puts an end to the argument that 'the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun' and 'more guns save lives' and 'need more security at soft targets'.

Only have to look at the policemen shot over the past year and even heavily armed SWAT members, that a well planned and heavily armed gunman is hard to stop with a security guard or lightly armed police officer.

The security guard was one of the first shot, 6 off duty officers were inside the bar and the first police officer responding was shot as he entered.

The gunman was armed with a single Glock 21 45 cal. and a 26 round extended magazine. Sadly these extended magazines are 'cheaper than dirt' ($20)... https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/magazines/glock/21.do

Shooting at California bar leaves 13 dead including gunman
    Suspected gunman, sheriff's deputy among dead in Thousand Oaks northwest of L.A.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/shooti...-say-1.4896719
    Thirteen people are dead after a gunman opened fire at a crowded country-and-western bar Wednesday night in Southern California, sending hundreds fleeing in terror, including some who used barstools to break windows and escape.

Eleven people inside the bar, the gunman and a sheriff's sergeant who was the first officer inside the door all died, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.

Dean said the first reports of shots fired came around 11:20 p.m. PT at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, about 65 kilometres northwest of Los Angeles. Police said hundreds were inside at the time.

Dean said sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus responded to the scene and was shot multiple times as he entered the building. Helus, a 29-year veteran of the force who was to retire soon, died in hospital early Thursday, the sheriff said.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I didn’t know you pronounced Ian ‘eye-an’. That’s all I’ve been hearing from reporters is eye-an Long. I would say ee-an. Is this a Canadian-American difference IanO? Or just dumb reporters. Eg. Ian Tyson, Ian Hanimansing. Etc.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-11-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Another white man with a gun. But let's all be afraid of poor people walking north to escape violence and poverty.

Photos emerge of Ian David Long — the ex-Marine accused of killing 12 in Thousand Oaks mass shooting

A 28-year-old former Marine opened fire in a California country music bar packed with college students, killing 12 people including a police officer as dozens of terrified youngsters stampeded towards the door, authorities said Thursday.

The gunman — who apparently killed himself — stepped into the Borderline Bar and Grill around 11:20 pm Wednesday and coolly began shooting, witnesses said, unleashing pandemonium as terrified patrons scrambled to escape.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/pho...mass-shooting/

PTSD. Part of the American war machine. Neglected veterans, a problem here too. Yesterday in the news they announced an accounting error of 150 million dollars the Canadian government did not give to veterans. Pay them their veterans rightful dues and have more offices and mental health help. If you are going to have war and put your citizens into it see it through to the end please.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.

May be more than he killed in battle, who knows. It’s awful. Should have had free councilling

Who knows if he killed anyone in battle? He may have been a cook or a logistics officer. We don't know at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    May be more than he killed in battle, who knows. It’s awful. Should have had free councilling
    Yeah, the US is notorious for just abandoning all the troops and vets who suffer from shell shock (or PTSD, if you want to feel "polite" with the language). Canada does not do much better.

In semi-related gun control news, it looks like the Canadians calling for a "gun ban" in wake of Toronto's rising gun crime doesn't address the biggest root of the problem - illegal gun smuggling (these ones smuggled into Canada from the USA): https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-gas-tank.html

People shot at bars has what to do with School shooting?

^^^^
    As per people at the boarder, that is America's right . They have massive debts that is about to collapse their own country. Have you been to California within the last 5 years? I didn't realize America is a third world nation. If you're adamant withe the get me out of poverty, the best thing for you to do is sponsor someone into our country. If you can't back up your stupid sarcasm, it is best to not open it. I rather you walk than talk. California is in a crisis at this moment with homelessness never seen before like this.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

On track to meet or exceed 2017

Mass shootings in U.S.: When, where they have occurred in 2018

The number of mass shootings around the country in 2018 has risen above 300 so far.

According to data from the Gun Violence Archive, a total of 307 mass shooting incidents have occurred as of October 27.

Wednesday night's shooting, which left 13 people dead at a bar in Thousand Oaks, California, marked the 307th mass shooting incident so far this year.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/n...curred-in-2018
    And just for reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s..._United_States

Calculating rates for this don’t properly describe the horror of it all but at 307 in a year where yesterday would have been day 312, then it’s at a near daily rate.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The current administration might be fanning the flames of gun violence but they are not new flames.

To wit: "In Austin, Texas, Charles Joseph Whitman, a former US Marine, kills 16 and wounds at least 30 at the University of Texas while shooting from a tower. Police o
    fficers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy shoot and kill Whitman in the tower. Whitman had also killed his mother and wife earlier in the day." I bring this one up as an example because it's one of the first ones I personally remember - it took place in 1966, more than a half century ago.

For added perspective on the current outrage (not undeserved) over violence and gerrymandering and voter's lists etc., the above shooting was 15 years before Michael Donald was lynched by the KKK in 1981, an event I also remember.

So, on one hand it's not how much things are deteriorating as it is how little progress has been made. On the other hand, the State of Georgia came close to electing a black woman as Governor two days ago so there is always hope...

It won't lead to anything without hard work but I don't believe it's unfounded hope.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I thought that Trump promised that all the crime would stop when he became President

When President Trump was inaugurated, he made the American people a promise: “This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.”
    "I will say that, um, we are going to have peace, in this country, we are going to stop crime, in this country, we are going to do everything within our power to stop long-simmering racism, and every other thing that's going on, because a lot of bad things have been taking place over a long period of time. "

Trump, we are waiting...

...people are dying. SAD
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

yes, it is sad but it's been sad through 44 presidents and counting...

on the other hand, imagine what things might have looked like if the donald had kept that one promise while enshrining instead of trying to gut Obamacare...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Amazing that 12 people died yesterday and Trump says

Donald J. [email protected] I have been fully briefed on the terrible shooting in California. Law Enforcement and First Responders, together with the FBI, are on scene. 13 people, at this time, have been reported dead. Likewise, the shooter is dead, along with the first police officer to enter the bar....
    ....Great bravery shown by police. California Highway Patrol was on scene within 3 minutes, with first officer to enter shot numerous times. That Sheriff’s Sergeant died in the hospital. God bless all of the victims and families of the victims. Thank you to Law Enforcement.
    All Tweets, ZERO Action

Meanwhile he orders 15,000 military troops to guard an already guarded border against refugees that are fleeing violence and calls these peaceful an 'invasion'.

He ignores the fact that the enemy is within the US borders. Mentally unstable people with high powered weapons of mass destruction. 307 mass shootings in 311 days

I guess that it is no longer safe to go to;

a bar
    a synagogue
    a high school
    a kindergarten
    a theater
    a army base
    a baseball field
    a collage
    a city council
    a newsroom
    a mall
    an office
    a yoga class
    a church
    a health center
    a restaurant
    a post office
    a waffle house
    a McDonalds
    a coffee shop
    a concert
    a university
    a night club
    a parking lot
    a sauna
    a Reservation
    a tavern
    a labor office
    a train car
    a Chuck E. Cheese's
    a trading firm
    a beer distributor
    a immigration office
    a VA center
    a pancake house

You have FREEDOM to run anywhere and hide from the carnage

...and you have the answers, right? Could have been Sherwood Park yesterday. It’s becoming a worldwide thing you know, been increasing for decades. Where is the world headed?

Did he have an AR-15 and a large capacity magazine? Did he have multiple guns and a vest? Did he shoot anyone?

No gun in Sherwood Park. No mass casualties. Thanks for proving my point and the obvious one millions of people agree upon.

The mass shooting per capita rate in the US is nearly 10 times that in Canada. It parallels the proportions of guns per capita. Have you noticed that trend? I think you haven't.

The shooter taunted that nothing would change after his attack.

"I hope people call me insane... (laughing emojis).. wouldn't that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah.. I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'.. or 'keep you in my thoughts'... every time... and wonder why these keep happening..."

Apathy kills people.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Well at least you can be thankful for one thing PRT. They were country music fans line dancing and such. You know, likely mostly present and future republican voters. Sixty or seventy present at this dance were also survivors of the Vegas country music concert. Probably mostly republicans there too. What a relief huh?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 09-11-2018 at 12:13 AM.

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. The only thing that will keep people safe is if EVERYONE has a gun. Then, when someone starts shooting, everyone can respond as one and simply shoot the shooter and that way nobody will get hurt.

Haven't you been paying attention to Trump, the GOP and the NRA?

Well at least you can be thankful for one thing PRT. They were country music fans line dancing and such. You know, likely mostly present and future republican voters. Sixty or seventy present at this dance were also survivors of the Vegas country music concert. Probably mostly republicans there too. What a relief huh?
    Do you even think before posting such hurtful and mean spirited posts? Have you not sympathy for the victims of hate? Do you think your post is appropriate on this forum? Do you think anyone here wishes any harm to anyone regardless of political leanings? Do you think it is morally or ethical correct of you to try to score points by making such outrageous statements in light of the fact that the victims of hate haven't even been buried yet? Do you think to ask yourself, if you weren't hiding behind an anonymous name, would you state this in public, in a letter to the EJ Editor or to anyone on this forum if you met them face to face? Do you think at all?

In another thread, Hello Lady inferred that I could be a potential bomber. Now you suggest that I take pleasure in the deaths of people who were gunned down by a mentally deranged gunman.

I think that your personal attack is totally inappropriate on this forum or anywhere else in society and I call you out to apologize to this entire forum for your hate filled message that you tried to hide as a sarcastic post.

You have done much to debase many forum discussions and debates but I rebuke you for your deliberate attempt to provoke a reaction.

Maybe you should think before you post and seek professional help for your lack of empathy and hateful messaging.

I am reporting both Hello Lady's and your post to the forum Admin.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-11-2018 at 07:10 AM.

They say things like that because that's what they would do if the victims were future Democrats. Look at H.L.'s post where she claimed to oppose the pipe bombs sent to everyone except George Soros.

PTSD. Part of the American war machine. Neglected veterans, a problem here too. Yesterday in the news they announced an accounting error of 150 million dollars the Canadian government did not give to veterans. Pay them their veterans rightful dues and have more offices and mental health help. If you are going to have war and put your citizens into it see it through to the end please.
    This essentially the issue. That its an extremely bad idea to have continued military actions that are suspicious or unfounded in nature and have ex machine gun shooters cut loose on public now being civilan and wondering how it came to be that they went overseas to murder people in situations they don't even comprehend. I mean what could go wrong, or be wrong with people after they have been duped into that.

We *learned* the dangers with Charles Whitman and we never learned them.

Stop being a society that worships war and guns and ammo and senseless carnage might cease eventually. These murderers are made, created, by the military machine.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

^^^^
    As per people at the boarder, that is America's right . They have massive debts that is about to collapse their own country. Have you been to California within the last 5 years? I didn't realize America is a third world nation. If you're adamant withe the get me out of poverty, the best thing for you to do is sponsor someone into our country. If you can't back up your stupid sarcasm, it is best to not open it. I rather you walk than talk. California is in a crisis at this moment with homelessness never seen before like this.
    Not sure what post you are referring to exactly but thematically a lot of the venues for shootings are very pubic places and seem to occur in schools, bars, entertainment districts, nightclubs, concert venues or congregations or where people are gathered. As such they seem to target avenues of socialization in a society that has lost its way. These are disaffected individuals that have learned/conditioned to hate society and the objects of the society and what they see as representing society. So whether it be a Mcdonalds, a concert, a bar, a school its an attack on what the shooters feel is a depraved world. The hate seems almost invariably to target the sources of socialization that represent, and further a society being the way it is. These are symbolic acts, by near deranged individuals full of contempt for what society has become.

I'm just posting this to elucidate the mass shooter detached deranged focus.

But this is only going to get worse as societal anomie gets worse. There is no attachment, there is no meaning. These are individuals that have ceased even having an ego, of having hopes, dreams, goals, beliefs. They are instead empty vessels that couldn't find anything to attach to within the milieu of an increasingly meaningless, soulless world. These are then walking automatons that have lost everything long before the tragic event.

This was the story of Charles Whitman and has been the story, for the most part, ever since.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Now maybe its just me. But I think that it is disturbing that individuals, here, and on social media continue to try to make these events political in nature. Rampant NRA and gun loving has been in the states forever. Through democrat, republican times. Illegitimate wars and escalations have been contested by the USA through democrat and republican administrations .

The boogeyman isn't political. Its that the USA is a gun loving war engaging nation and always has been. A nation which had its legitimate war fighting height, and hype in WWII, at a rare moment in time where the action of war was legitimate. At that point in time America was heroic, never since.

The illegitimacy of all subsequent wars and the American war machine, and support of that, by any political stipe or color is what infects the American psyche. There's an increasing notion in the USA of abject confusion. Of questioning right/wrong, which has been going on since Korea or Vietnam.

So that ex soldiers coming home do not just suffer PTSD, it should be that easy, they suffer profound misgivings about war and atrocity. That they often times feel they can't live with. Ever since Korea and Vietnam soldiers have been coming home with different kinds of questions. Questions about the USA. Often hateful questions. With Marines most exposed to that because they were the most hyped. Americas version of SS stormtroopers. (I'm not equating, only citing that the most imbued have the most latent internal conflict) Its not accidental that these mass shooters are so often ex marines. They are the ones indoctrinated the most. So that they suffer the most dissociation later.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-11-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    ^^^^
    This thread has evolved to cover the repetition of mass shooting in the US and the endless debate that is blocked by the NRA, the GOP and now Trump

Yes I have been to California and other American cities

Is closing the border a solution to fix all of America's problems? Nope, that is just a xenophobic means of taking the focus off the real systemic problems in the US and blaming people in another country for the US situation.

Why not look at the real problems that created the homelessness and poverty in the US.

Lack of: education, social support, mental health care, access to affordable healthcare, poor veterans support, huge income disparity, deep seated racism that reduces employment opportunities, and so on. The list is long and the differences between Canadian 'socialism' and American 'capitalist' ideals are demonstrable. That is not to say that Canadians do not have unemployment, poverty, racism, mental health issues and other ills, the overall inequalities are less and Canadians can be proud of the social security safety nets that took generations to build and create a fairer and more just society for all.

If the US had not spent trillions of dollars in fighting Middle East wars, and instead used it to reduce the deficit and improve social programs and health, maybe the issues you raise about California would be far less.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-11-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Now maybe its just me. But I think that it is disturbing that individuals, here, and on social media continue to try to make these events political in nature. Rampant NRA and gun loving has been in the states forever. Through democrat, republican times. Illegitimate wars and escalations have been contested by the USA through democrat and republican administrations .

The boogeyman isn't political. Its that the USA is a gun loving war engaging nation and always has been. A nation which had its legitimate war fighting height, and hype in WWII, at a rare moment in time where the action of war was legitimate. At that point in time America was heroic, never since.

The illegitimacy of all subsequent wars and the American war machine, and support of that, by any political stipe or color is what infects the American psyche. There's an increasing notion in the USA of abject confusion. Of questioning right/wrong, which has been going on since Korea or Vietnam.

So that ex soldiers coming home do not just suffer PTSD, it should be that easy, they suffer profound misgivings about war and atrocity. That they often times feel they can't live with. Ever since Korea and Vietnam soldiers have been coming home with different kinds of questions. Questions about the USA. Often hateful questions. With Marines most exposed to that because they were the most hyped. Americas version of SS stormtroopers. (I'm not equating, only citing that the most imbued have the most latent internal conflict) Its not accidental that these mass shooters are so often ex marines. They are the ones indoctrinated the most. So that they suffer the most dissociation later.
    Yes, it has continued through Democrat administrations as well because the GOP & NRA pull out the "The Democrats are going to ban all guns" and scare people into thinking it's true. Trump pulled out that card just this week.

Trump falsely claims Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams wants to ‘get rid of’ the Second Amendment, but Abrams says she supports it

President Donald Trump said on Sunday that Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams would "get rid of" the Second Amendment if elected, though the Democrat has stated on several occasions that she believes in the right to bear arms.

Speaking during a rally for Republican Brian Kemp in Macon, the president suggested that in addition to ending the Second Amendment — a power that governors do not possess — people will be sent door to door to collect all existing firearms. Trump also claimed that electing Abrams would turn the state of Georgia into the nation of Venezuela without providing evidence.

Trump appeared to be referencing a 2016 gun safety bill that Abrams co-sponsored when she was a state lawmaker, that proposed a ban on certain assault weapons. The bill was unlike others of its kind in that it wouldn't grandfather in people who already own assault weapons, and would require them to turn these firearms over to authorities.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...lected-2018-11
    And the name of the thread quite clearly states "Gun control in the USA" so it's not JUST about school shootings.

They’ll have to do something sooner or later. Mind you I once had a judge tell me crime was good for business. Without it there would be a lot of people out of work. I had to think about that one for a while.

They’ll have to do something sooner or later. Mind you I once had a judge tell me crime was good for business. Without it there would be a lot of people out of work. I had to think about that one for a while.
    It’s a massive jobs creator. Tobacco farming was too. And possibly growing grapes, hops, etc.

I don't believe any judge would tell you that. Maybe a lawyer, but not a judge. It is a biased and warped view of ethics.

What you state about crime is the broken window fallacy "Ce qu'on voit et ce qu'on ne voit pas"

The fallacy can be demonstrated that crime and incarceration is a serious drag on society. In the US, nearly 1% of the population, over 2,200,000 adults are in jail or prison and not working. Furthermore, the prison guards, police, judges, government lawyers and support staff amount to millions more, all on the taxpayers dime, not adding to the economy or productivity.

Think of the benefits if the inmates were out in the workforce, guards became teachers, etc...

We can not eliminate crime but reducing it has benefits. I constantly hear hype and fear mongering that crime is increasing and we should be scared and vote in 'law and order' candidates. (Harper was good at this.). Many of these types are themselves, lining their pockets as politicians and breaking many laws.

The opposite is true if you look at national statistics on both sides of the border, that crime is a fraction of what it was a few decades ago but the fear mongering has intensified.

The data proves that crime is going down put politicians who want to get elected, never let facts get in their way and use peoples' fears to get stir up their base of voters.

So when a shooting happens, all politicians sayis "hopes and prayers" and you sheep will pay more taxes forincreased police, security and armed teachers, rather than better laws andimproving people’s lives, education and social support such as low cost/freehealthcare and mental health services. This is not a left wing or rightwing concept. It is simply a rational and objective observation thatwould benefit society.

Can anyone reasonably argue with this common sense approach?

Can anyone reasonably argue with this common sense approach?

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 10-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.

So you are calling me a liar, I’ve seen you call people worse.

I was wondering if you realize what a judge is. The best lawyers, the ones that keep the most criminals out of jail, are the ones appointed as judges. Often they appoint them just because they tire of losing against them in court. You live a sheltered life.

Not all judges are the same and one difference between the US and Canada is that most judges in the US are elected, not appointed.

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit

At worst, Hillary Transue thought she might get a stern lecture when she appeared before a judge for building a spoof MySpace page mocking the assistant principal at her high school in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. She was a stellar student who had never been in trouble, and the page stated clearly at the bottom that it was just a joke.

Instead, the judge sentenced her to three months at a juvenile detention center on a charge of harassment.

She was handcuffed and taken away as her stunned parents stood by.

“I felt like I had been thrown into some surreal sort of nightmare,” said Hillary, 17, who was sentenced in 2007. “All I wanted to know was how this could be fair and why the judge would do such a thing.”

The answers became a bit clearer on Thursday as the judge, Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., and a colleague, Michael T. Conahan, appeared in federal court in Scranton, Pa., to plead guilty to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers run by PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html
    And just the other day.

After losing re-election, Texas judge releases several juvenile defendants after asking one question
    "I am baffled by why he did it," said a Harris County public defender

A Houston district court judge who lost a re-election bid on Tuesday is facing criticism for releasing a majority of the juvenile defendants who appeared before him Wednesday after allegedly asking them whether they planned to kill anyone.

District Court Judge Glenn Devlin, a Republican, lost his seat Tuesday to Democratic opponent Natalia Oakes — in a wave of 59 conservative jurists who had been ousted by Harris County voters, NBC Houston affiliate KPRC reported.

And on Wednesday morning, Devlin had made a decision that shocked Steve Halpert, juvenile division chief for Harris County's Public Defender's Office.

"The juveniles were asked whether they were going to, if released, whether they would kill somebody," Halpert told KPRC. "It was a little bit shocking because that's not a question Judge Devlin would ever ask. Or any judge."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...venile-n934121

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It’s a massive jobs creator. Tobacco farming was too. And possibly growing grapes, hops, etc.
    Tobacco farming is still big business in southern Ontario. About 60% of what it was in the nineteen hundreds. I’ve been to Tillsonburg too. Growing Cannabis is big business, has been for a long time.

I was wondering if you realize what a judge is. The best lawyers, the ones that keep the most criminals out of jail, are the ones appointed as judges. Often they appoint them just because they tire of losing against them in court. You live a sheltered life.
    Unlike judges in the States who are often elected, most judges in Canada are appointed and come up through the Court system as Crown Prosecutors. They tend to incarcerate people, not get them off, that is the private lawyers who do that.

More defense and other lawyers are appointed than crown attorneys. Of the most recent five appointed in Alberta, two were prosecutors. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/edmonton...e-backlogs/amp

So you are calling me a liar, .
    Nope. Just don't believe you. There is a difference.

Still don't agree with your broken window fallacy.

More defense and other lawyers are appointed than crown attorneys. Of the most recent five appointed in Alberta, two were prosecutors. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/edmonton...e-backlogs/amp
    You fail to recognize from your own source that there is a shortage of Crown Prosecutors to select as Judges so they had to find others.

The government’s recognition of dwindling resources is a positive step, said Damian Rogers, treasurer at the Alberta Crown Attorneys’ Association.

But the organization is concerned about the government’s ability to recruit Crown prosecutors.

“Our understanding … is that the number of applications to those positions has been very low,” he said. “We’re on this treadmill right now … where the number of departures is such that we’re always in a recruiting mode.”

Pamela Geller and Republican Lives Matter among others spread "fake news" about the Thousand Oaks shooter.

According to Charles Seife, a journalism professor at New York University who tracks the spread of online disinformation, this rumor originated with the Twitter account “Republican Lives Matter.” That tweet was also deleted but a screenshot can be glimpsed below:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bo...r-middle-east/

Likely heard the first reports that he was in the military in Afghanistan and misconstrued, as reporters often do.

Reporters? Republican Lives Matter is a facebook group. Real reporters fact check and make corrections. ReThugLicans toss out anything they can to pin everything on Muslims and people of colour.

I do not know enough about it to comment further

But you knew enough to make an unsubstantiated claim in the first place?

Very Trumpian

Make unsubstantiated claims, loudly...

You guys talking to each other again? Seems more and more it’s just the two of you. I guess with all the people you’ve driven out of the C2E you two will be very happy when you’re the only ones left.

You guys talking to each other again? Seems more and more it’s just the two of you. I guess with all the people you’ve driven out of the C2E you two will be very happy when you’re the only ones left.
    That's how many people see it...the bromance continued.. LOL

We took our cue to follow the Drumbones, MrOilers and Hello Lady; 'Trump is a god' echo chamber.

I don’t think that way. I’m neutral. Just wanted to give him a chance, but growing weary.

I don’t think that way. I’m neutral. Just wanted to give him a chance, but growing weary.
    You can't compete with small petty minds , you just cant..you're better than that

They are a team alright. Mutt and Jeff. lol

Better than the three stooges.

If it took you this long to figure out that Trump is a narcissistic, xenophobic, immoral bully with no respect for anyone and anything; then you got what you deserve.

Trump is the same @sshole that he was in the 1980's and 1990's as when he ran in 2000 for President. Reading about him and his casinos and watching an interview with him 30+ years ago was all it took for me not to trust the snake oil salesman that he was and is today.

Glad you are finally realizing that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Better than the three stooges.

If it took you this long to figure out that Trump is a narcissistic, xenophobic, immoral bully with no respect for anyone and anything; then you got what you deserve.

Trump is the same @sshole that he was in the 1980's and 1990's as when he ran in 2000 for President. Reading about him and his casinos and watching an interview with him 30+ years ago was all it took for me not to trust the snake oil salesman that he was and is today.

Glad you are finally realizing that fact.
    They are a team alright. Mutt and Jeff. lol
    LOL high five drum!

Apparently being a good black man with a gun isn't enough to keep from getting shot to death. And people wonder why NFL players are taking a knee.

Black security guard stops shooter in a bar — then gets gunned down by cop who mistook him for criminal

WGN TV reports that 26-year-old armed security guard Jemel Roberson was working at Manny’s Blue Room Bar in Robbins, Illinois on Sunday morning when he was attacked by a gun-wielding man whom witnesses say had been kicked out of the bar earlier in the evening.

Roberson returned fire on the man and managed to subdue him and pin him to the ground.

However, when a Midlothian, Illinois police officer showed up on the scene, he opened fire and killed Roberson because he thought Roberson was the true assailant.

“Everybody was screaming out, ‘he was a security guard,’ and they basically saw a black man with a gun and killed him,” witness Adam Harris tells WGN TV.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/bla...took-criminal/

And this

Wisconsin district investigates boys’ apparent Nazi salute
    https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Wi...500290341.html
    BARABOO, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin school district is investigating a photo of a group of high school boys giving what appears to be a Nazi salute, drawing a strong rebuke on social media.

Baraboo Superintendent Lori Mueller said she became aware of the photo Monday after it was posted on social media. The photo of more than 60 male students dressed in suits shows many with their right arm extended upward while posed on the steps of the Sauk County Courthouse.

Mueller did not say what occasion may have brought the students together, but said the photo appears to have been taken last spring; some of the boys are wearing boutonnieres. Mueller said it wasn’t taken on school grounds or at a school-sponsored event.

“The school district is investigating this situation and is working with parents, staff and local authorities. If the gesture is what it appears to be, the district will pursue any and all available and appropriate actions, including legal, to address the issue,” Mueller said in a letter to parents and guardians.
    We did not have this type of thing going on 10 years ago. Why are more anti-semetic, racist and hate expressions happening more often lately, especially under this President?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 12-11-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Actually, we did have this sort of thing going on 10, 20, 30 years ago. What has changed is that almost everyone now has a camera with them 24/7 and the means to share those pictures to a wider audience. What the current POTUS has done is embolden people to act like this and proudly display it for all to see.

I don't ever recall so many of these events going on regardless of the number of cameras.

The number of large mass shootings is larger but mass shootings include 4 dead or wounded not including the shooter. They hardly even make the national news anymore since they're so common.

From The Washington Post. The Texas Tower shooting was in 1966.

158 shootings

In the 50 years before the Texas tower shooting, there were just 25 public mass shootings in which four or more people were killed, according to author and criminologist Grant Duwe. Since then, the number has risen dramatically, and many of the deadliest shootings have occurred within the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.706d22a95b73
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 12-11-2018 at 07:32 PM.

history

Wouldn’t make much of a difference but the figures should also be population adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    And this

Wisconsin district investigates boys’ apparent Nazi salute
    https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Wi...500290341.html
    BARABOO, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin school district is investigating a photo of a group of high school boys giving what appears to be a Nazi salute, drawing a strong rebuke on social media.

Baraboo Superintendent Lori Mueller said she became aware of the photo Monday after it was posted on social media. The photo of more than 60 male students dressed in suits shows many with their right arm extended upward while posed on the steps of the Sauk County Courthouse.

Mueller did not say what occasion may have brought the students together, but said the photo appears to have been taken last spring; some of the boys are wearing boutonnieres. Mueller said it wasn’t taken on school grounds or at a school-sponsored event.

“The school district is investigating this situation and is working with parents, staff and local authorities. If the gesture is what it appears to be, the district will pursue any and all available and appropriate actions, including legal, to address the issue,” Mueller said in a letter to parents and guardians.
    We did not have this type of thing going on 10 years ago. Why are more anti-semetic, racist and hate expressions happening more often lately, especially under this President?
    Have to be wary of seeking, finding and reporting and all the other things that alter perceptions.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910