Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are you boycotting BC?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Cherry point sees hundreds of tankers, the guy in the link should run for office!

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion...ket-1.20560368

Time for everyone to start boycotting Minnesota too!

'There's a ton riding on this': Enbridge pipeline project dealt blow in Minnesota
    Judge's report could drive up costs of Line 3 from Alberta to Michigan

Enbridge's oil pipeline was old, unreliable and prone to leaking. Its proposed replacement had federal approval in Canada and a presidential permit in the United States.

That's why compared to the other oil export projects proposed from Alberta — TransCanada's Keystone XL and Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain expansion — this pipeline was assumed to face far fewer hurdles.

However, the oilpatch is witnessing how even a project considered straightforward still faces significant delays and a difficult regulatory process.

And the real protests haven't even begun.

"I would have thought Line 3 would have had the easier time moving forward," said Jennifer Rowland, a senior equity analyst with Edward Jones, based in St. Louis. "And yet, a line like that even faces so much opposition. It speaks to the mindset and attitude toward pipelines."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enbr...ands-1.4632086

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Time for everyone to start boycotting Minnesota too!

'There's a ton riding on this': Enbridge pipeline project dealt blow in Minnesota

Enbridge's oil pipeline was old, unreliable and prone to leaking. Its proposed replacement had federal approval in Canada and a presidential permit in the United States.

That's why compared to the other oil export projects proposed from Alberta — TransCanada's Keystone XL and Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain expansion — this pipeline was assumed to face far fewer hurdles.

However, the oilpatch is witnessing how even a project considered straightforward still faces significant delays and a difficult regulatory process.

And the real protests haven't even begun.

"I would have thought Line 3 would have had the easier time moving forward," said Jennifer Rowland, a senior equity analyst with Edward Jones, based in St. Louis. "And yet, a line like that even faces so much opposition. It speaks to the mindset and attitude toward pipelines."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enbr...ands-1.4632086
    I’m on it. I will not vacation there this year.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Last time I was in Mini was about 20 years ago. I won't be going back anytime soon. Not because of the above KC but I've no reason to go there.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Minnesota has seen what's been going on here...

There is a big difference between the two pipelines. The Keystone is for American oil owned by American companies such as Surmont site. KM is for Canadian oil exporting out to BC.

The most funny thing I see out of this whole demonstrations is that, how did they aall gather together? They drove vehicles using Oil products from Alberta; furthermore, i observed the clothing those protesters were wearing, and a lot of them wore synthetic clothing. Guest what what they're from? Oil products. The natives love to use the, "our traditional way of living." I'm OK with that as long as they give up their vehicles, skidoos, guns, shoes, and so forth. Their traditional ways of life were horses and spears for hunting. Canoes were made from animal skins etc. I'm sick and tired of hypocrites tha t goes against things, but they can't exemplified themselves with their so called convictions of morals . There is no clean oil period! When you suck oil out if the ground, you destroy the equation that has been established for the balance of earth. It is no different than math.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

From the story I linked to in #203

C2E Long Term Contributor

The running 'joke' at our Kelowna conference.
    Last edited by IanO; 25-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The DBA has a Kelowna office?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It was a conference of many downtown associations...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Just to quibble, I think they are only known as “conferences” when they are held in places like Winnipeg and Edmonton, otherwise they are best known as: “junkets”.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

no...boondoggles

Unless it is a conference in Vegas...then Gong Show!
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

They’re all soires - because that how the taxpayers feel as companies expense the trips and booze and golf and...

It was the Business Improvement Areas of BC/AB and essentially the entire NW. Inspiring talks, much learned and a lot of great ideas to bring back from the City of Kelowna.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    It was the Business Improvement Areas of BC/AB and essentially the entire NW. Inspiring talks, much learned and a lot of great ideas to bring back from the City of Kelowna.

Yeah, I have relatives in the Okanagan and it’s always so much nicer getting news directly from them rather than by phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    There is a big difference between the two pipelines. The Keystone is for American oil owned by American companies such as Surmont site. KM is for Canadian oil exporting out to BC.

The most funny thing I see out of this whole demonstrations is that, how did they aall gather together? They drove vehicles using Oil products from Alberta; furthermore, i observed the clothing those protesters were wearing, and a lot of them wore synthetic clothing. Guest what what they're from? Oil products. The natives love to use the, "our traditional way of living." I'm OK with that as long as they give up their vehicles, skidoos, guns, shoes, and so forth. Their traditional ways of life were horses and spears for hunting. Canoes were made from animal skins etc. I'm sick and tired of hypocrites tha t goes against things, but they can't exemplified themselves with their so called convictions of morals . There is no clean oil period! When you suck oil out if the ground, you destroy the equation that has been established for the balance of earth. It is no different than math.
    To grossly generalize: First Nations (natives) aren’t anti-development and modernization. That’s a myth. They don’t want the life of 300 years ago. They want to be able to choose how they live. They want to be able to develop their lands just like anyone else, but have control over it and to earn the benefits from any development. No different than anyone else, such as farmers who don’t like oil companies, miners, utilities, etc destroying their land - especially without any proper compensation. Farmers that like the traditional farming life, such as growing their own food, hunting on the land, etc. still have computers, snow mobiles, etc. But they want to be able to pass on to future generations whole and sustainable land.

As an aside, on the whole and sustainable idea, when Edmonton Power bought thousands of acres of land for the Genessee power plant it didn’t expropriate just the land it needed because they would have then have destroyed many farmers’ ability to run a farm. (If such expropriation had even been permitted.) So they bought bought out entire farms / sustainable economics units, then saved what they needed and put the resulting land packages back on the market. A number of industrial and other interests protested this method because it cost more money and so raised power rates for them. (But see how they whine at anything that might affect the long-term sustainability of their own businesses.)
    Last edited by KC; 26-04-2018 at 08:00 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

My mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    You mean the people that are trying to steal away Edmonton's downtown businesses? Did you discuss ways to sabotage the move of the lab?

I remember why I am disliking this forum more and more.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Just to quibble, I think they are only known as “conferences” when they are held in places like Winnipeg and Edmonton, otherwise they are best known as: “junkets”.
    sorry, most of those conferences are actually that and - believe it or not - it's hard work attending them. or should be. and most attendees are mindful of that.

wearing various hats, off the top of my head i have attended conferences and seminars in whistler, vancouver, banff, calgary, edmonton, winnipeg, toronto, quebec city, ottawa, helsinki, dallas/fort worth, vegas, portland, orlando, pittsburgh, boston, austin, palm springs, phoenix, new york... none of them were "junkets". the value isn't just in the formal session material being presented. the value is being able to spend time with peers from around the world discussing what works well or doesn't for them or for their jurisdictions. the value is in being able to "walk the streets" and see first hand what works well or doesn't. the value is being able to "tack-on" a few days before or after and visit neighboring jurisdictions with the same goals either on your own or with a sub-group.

the value is being able to expand my own parochial interests and viewpoints to include different perspectives and different parameters and different objectives. and that value proposition applies equally for the companies and/or organizations and/or neighborhoods and communities i work for, volunteer for and live in.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And how do we know if many of these protestors occupying outside the KM site are not paid protestors?

Well that's one way to say that the oil sands aren't affecting the environment. Maybe Alberta should lobby to get tanker traffic and maritime oil spills exempted too. You can't raise environmental objections if the project isn't covered by environmental regulations.

Selected oilsands projects may avoid new environmental assessment rules

Oilsands projects that use steam to release bitumen from deep underground will likely get a pass from new federal environmental assessment rules — but Ottawa is still considering how to deal with those that use solvents instead of water.

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna introduced the new Impact Assessment Act in February in hopes of giving more credibility to the federal environment review process. It sets new timelines for reviews, eases restrictions on participants, adds transparency to the science behind decisions and requires assessments to account for social, health, economic and climate change impacts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/oil-...ules-1.4639525

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    sorry, most of those conferences are actually that and - believe it or not - it's hard work attending them. or should be. and most attendees are mindful of that.

wearing various hats, off the top of my head i have attended conferences and seminars in whistler, vancouver, banff, calgary, edmonton, winnipeg, toronto, quebec city, ottawa, helsinki, dallas/fort worth, vegas, portland, orlando, pittsburgh, boston, austin, palm springs, phoenix, new york... none of them were "junkets". the value isn't just in the formal session material being presented. the value is being able to spend time with peers from around the world discussing what works well or doesn't for them or for their jurisdictions. the value is in being able to "walk the streets" and see first hand what works well or doesn't. the value is being able to "tack-on" a few days before or after and visit neighboring jurisdictions with the same goals either on your own or with a sub-group.

the value is being able to expand my own parochial interests and viewpoints to include different perspectives and different parameters and different objectives. and that value proposition applies equally for the companies and/or organizations and/or neighborhoods and communities i work for, volunteer for and live in.
    I agree that a there a a lot of random benefits and intangibles that come with such conferences but I’m not so sure taxpayers should allow companies to expense most conferences. We have great phone and internet service these days.

Well that's one way to say that the oil sands aren't affecting the environment. Maybe Alberta should lobby to get tanker traffic and maritime oil spills exempted too. You can't raise environmental objections if the project isn't covered by environmental regulations.

Selected oilsands projects may avoid new environmental assessment rules

Oilsands projects that use steam to release bitumen from deep underground will likely get a pass from new federal environmental assessment rules — but Ottawa is still considering how to deal with those that use solvents instead of water. Steam is pretty clean.

The source if the water should be a concern and knbsome situations what the pressure and evacuation of volume a depth might do to the geological state of the area.

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna introduced the new Impact Assessment Act in February in hopes of giving more credibility to the federal environment review process. It sets new timelines for reviews, eases restrictions on participants, adds transparency to the science behind decisions and requires assessments to account for social, health, economic and climate change impacts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/oil-...ules-1.4639525
    Well, farmers don’t have to prepare 100,000 page EIAs for each water well they drill.
    Last edited by KC; 28-04-2018 at 06:15 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Holy Sh-t

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartandhp

I'm sure all the ego's on this thread are going to come out.
    Last edited by envaneo; 05-05-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Holy Sh-t

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartandhp

I'm sure all the ego's on this thread are going to come out.
    ?

Will it carry bitumen?

Otherwise its just another possible pipeline that would face less opposition than a bitumen line. Bitumen is the problem, not upgraded oil.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its diluent, and KM has been sending this through pipelines for over 25 years. Its not much difference.

The main issue for Trans mountain is tanker traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

To grossly generalize: First Nations (natives) aren’t anti-development and modernization. That’s a myth. They don’t want the life of 300 years ago. They want to be able to choose how they live. They want to be able to develop their lands just like anyone else, but have control over it and to earn the benefits from any development. No different than anyone else, such as farmers who don’t like oil companies, miners, utilities, etc destroying their land - especially without any proper compensation. Farmers that like the traditional farming life, such as growing their own food, hunting on the land, etc. still have computers, snow mobiles, etc. But they want to be able to pass on to future generations whole and sustainable land.

As an aside, on the whole and sustainable idea, when Edmonton Power bought thousands of acres of land for the Genessee power plant it didn’t expropriate just the land it needed because they would have then have destroyed many farmers’ ability to run a farm. (If such expropriation had even been permitted.) So they bought bought out entire farms / sustainable economics units, then saved what they needed and put the resulting land packages back on the market. A number of industrial and other interests protested this method because it cost more money and so raised power rates for them. (But see how they whine at anything that might affect the long-term sustainability of their own businesses.)
    That sounds reasonable and state it as is. Traditional ways of life don't tell me that.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

And this (whale death by plastic bag, Thailand article below) is just one high profile event that just happened to be noticed. Basically coastal cities and shipping companies need to start cleaning up their act. The fact that our costal cities, like Victoria, are only now addressing their sewage issues while Edmonton been doing it for what, half a century or more, is hard to believe. And they get labelled as “green”. People everywhere are getting all worried about long term global warming to the exclusion of all the other immediate environmental disasters.

Whale that died off Thailand had eaten 80 plastic bags

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44344468

Groups question why plastic bag spill wasn't reported to public immediately | CTV Vancouver Island News
    CTV Vancouver Island
    Published Monday, November 20, 2017

“CTV News first reported Friday on a leaked Parks Canada memo that detailed the discovery of about 2,000 large aquaculture feed bags on the Broken Group of Islands, a protected area of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.

According to the memo, the bags were found on Nov. 10 on four of the islands – but environmentalists, First Nations and even Courtenay-Alberni NDP MP Gord Johns found out about it through media coverage Friday. ...

Johns has called upon the federal government to act immediately to clean up the spill, and has tabled a bill calling for a national strategy surrounding marine pollution.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/g...tely-1.3686768

Meanwhile in national news - a 100 litre spill !!!!

B.C. ministry of environment confirms 100-litre spill at Trans Mountain pipeline station
    BY POSTMEDIA NEWS
    ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: MAY 28, 2018

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...rfield-station

Last edited by KC; 02-06-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Meanwhile in national news - a 100 litre spill !!!!
    haha - I put more in my truck every fill-up

I know. Like half a barrel.

Starting this coming Friday my wife and I are going on vacation in BC.

Yes, those of you pushing for boycotts can go straight to hell and stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

Yes sir, dork face. I hope you and your bull shet stay there too.

C2E Posting Power

What an odd hostile thing to say....you live in Edmonton? If so, you're better off staying in BC with the other tree huggers to **** off and die there

I have to laugh.

In my first post, I deliberately mentioned no one specifically, did not say where in BC we were planning to go, and stated nothing demeaning to our holy Oil Interests. The aggressive Alberta patriots certainly did not take long to come out, and I have to say the sophisticated wit of the first post against me, and the un-hostile amiability of the second, are simply breathtaking.

In truth, as others have pointed out, boycotts ignore political complexities, attack the wrong targets, are of doubtful economic utility, and produce nothing positive in the long political run.

You’re not exactly a believer in tolerance are you.

Or clarity of thought for that matter.

Boycotts Are Hypocritical, Discriminatory, and Bad for Social Change - Hit & Run : Reason.com

“But it’s not just that this boycott is hypocritical. Most boycotts are hypocritical—because boycotters are incapable of...”

“...I hold that everyone has a legal right to discriminate against, or organize a boycott of, an entity they don’t like. ...”

https://reason.com/blog/2015/03/27/b...discriminatory
    Last edited by KC; 02-06-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    You’re not exactly a believer in tolerance are you.

Or clarity of thought for that matter.
    ^Another patriot clearly following the train of his thought.

See my second post. You can read, right, and not just link to what others have written? I hope I'm not wrong in giving you at least that much credit.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 02-06-2018 at 08:42 PM.

I don’t need any credit from you so don’t worry about giving me any.

My, my, our resident intellectual is being testy.

Don't refuse credit from others. You might need it some day.

Besides, C2E requires due credit. Q.v. the settled arguments over improperly credited photography, for example.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 02-06-2018 at 08:46 PM.

My, my, our resident intellectual is being testy.

Don't refuse credit from others. You might need it some day.

Besides, C2E requires due credit. Q.v. the settled arguments over improperly credited photography, for example.
    Not at all testy. I do not need to be in your good graces regarding my comments.

Not at all testy. I do not need to be in your good graces regarding my comments.
    I love you too. Won't you be my friend?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Im boycotting BC. Stopped shopping at Save On. No more Earls. Any company based in BC isnt getting my business. And of course no trips west for me. Too many other interesting places to visit.

Telus? Lionsgate (TV and film)? Best Buy Canada? London Drugs? HSBC Bank? MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.? Premium Brands holdings (https://www.premiumbrandsholdings.com/)? Kal Tire? 7-Eleven Canada? Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers? Imperial Parking Corp.?

Just a few of the better known firms from the BC top 100 list.

I am boycotting BC

Sticking with AD on my calendar...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Telus? Lionsgate (TV and film)? Best Buy Canada? London Drugs? HSBC Bank? MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.? Premium Brands holdings (https://www.premiumbrandsholdings.com/)? Kal Tire? 7-Eleven Canada? Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers? Imperial Parking Corp.?

Just a few of the better known firms from the BC top 100 list.
    Don't forget all the places that use GFS for food delivery, groceries in the store that came in a Kenworth or used Versacold for transport, or Super Save for their garbage/recycle disposal. A host of other products made by Univar, and other companies.

I'm not boycotting BC at all. Heading to Whistler in July.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why boycott BC? The pipeline is now guaranteed to go ahead, isn't it?

I won't travel there until Horgan is gone.

With groups and individuals receiving money along the pipeline maybe big oil could just cut the goof a cheque to disappear.

Its going to be interesting. It may just take one First Nation to stop it.

Im no expert but Id say its questionable that the crown even has a valid right to enforce any of its powers over some First Nation lands. If they neither signed a treaty nor ceded land, what does that mean?

Horgan's acknowledgment of unceded Indigenous territory a milestone for B.C. - The Globe and Mail

That unique status a province mostly built on territories that were never ceded through treaty, war or surrender by the original inhabitants goes back more than 150 years. As a result, uncertainty has dogged economic development in the province, while the courts have been increasingly firm that the Crown in B.C. does not have clear title to the land and its resources.

In the rush to establish the colony of British Columbia, governor James Douglas skipped over the stage of negotiating treaties. In 1859, he issued a proclamation that declared all the lands and resources in British Columbia belong to the Crown. At that time, the colony had about 1,000 Europeans and an estimated 30,000 Indigenous people.

It was not until 2014 that the Supreme Court of Canada, in the Tsilhqot'in decision, ruled that Indigenous Canadians still own their ancestral lands unless they signed away their ownership in treaties with government. The province fought the Tsilhqot'in Nation, a small community of 400 people in the remote Nemaiah Valley west of Williams Lake, every inch of the way in the courts, but was finally forced to accept that aboriginal title exists.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle36686705/
    Last edited by KC; 06-06-2018 at 01:50 PM.

It’s going to be interesting. It may just take one First Nation to stop it.

I’m no expert but I’d say it’s questionable that the crown even has a valid right to enforce any of its powers over some First Nation lands. If they neither signed a treaty nor ceded land, what does that mean?
    Why wasnt that all worked out, before we paid for the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

I’m no expert but I’d say it’s questionable that the crown even has a valid right to enforce any of its powers over some First Nation lands. If they neither signed a treaty nor ceded land, what does that mean?
    Yes, why wasn’t it worked out, before we developed BC?

Same thing here in Alberta. First Nations lands have been exploited without a clear understanding of the right to even do so. My uneducated guess is that there’s a whole lot of issues around treaties that the government doesn’t really want to have the Supreme Court rule on.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yes, why wasn’t it worked out, before we developed BC?

Same thing here in Alberta. First Nations lands have been exploited without a clear understanding of the right to even do so. My uneducated guess is that there’s a whole lot of issues around treaties that the government doesn’t really want to have the Supreme Court rule on.
    Jt said last night, that there are 43 bands, that rely on this pipeline. What about the trucks bringing fuel over and over from the US to bc's airport.What about the pipeline they are building, any protesters there, its near the Fraser river??????

No bitumen, no tankers I guess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123