Thread: Edmonton's first appearance on 100 Best Cities list

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton's first appearance on 100 Best Cities list

#60 on the 100 Best Cities
    https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/...ties/edmonton/

First-time appearance on the list according to EEDC
    https://twitter.com/EEDC_BRAD/status/928320776733786112

First time in Top 100 - We'll be "Movin' on Up" quickly.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

heh, half the stuff they list in Ice District is not in Ice District.

Then someone is doing their job right. Before ID nothing, after ID sunshine, puppy dogs and urbanity. That's the line, right?

C2E SME

Some great recognition for Edmonton!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So the EEDC is finally seeing a reason to pay to be on these lists? That's how you get on these lists. Look at some of those cities. Baltimore a top 100 city in the world? seriously?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Some great recognition for Edmonton!
    although someone needs to make sure they catch the typos in the next edition.

i don't even care if this is the kind of recognition that has to be paid for to be acknowledged - that still doesn't change the recognition or take anything away from the exposure it gets.

in addiiton to the outside exposure however, i think it's equally important if not more so to make sure that all edmontonians know where on the list and why we're on the list. we need to know what really does make this a great city and we all need to communicate that every chance we get, something that shouldn't be that hard to do because it's true whether we're on some list or not.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Yeah, many of these lists are quite arbitrary. It's unbelievable, for example, for Dubai to be in any top 10 city list that doesn't just rate on height and quality of a city's skyscrapers.

That being said, these arbitrary lists could be quite helpful for people who are trying to attract investment or international students to the city.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yep, arbitrary and highly questionable. Istanbul? In the current dictatorial climate, Istanbul?(and yes, wondered about Baltimore too, no doubt much to praise it but terrible, terrible income inequality, slums and racial tension)Dubai? If you're stinking rich maybe.
    ... gobsmacked

Great news story. Actually, today is in general.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Its one of the better lists. I've always thought Edmonton and Calgary are both better than Auckland.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Its one of the better lists. I've always thought Edmonton and Calgary are both better than Auckland.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/
    "Its one of the better lists."

Well, OBVIOUSLY, NOW it is.

^What I like is puts real, interesting cities, at the top - London, NYC, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo. Often these lists rank these cities down because of crime, or crowding, or something else, but I think that misses how much of a cultural impact those places have on the rest of the world. You can't really say that about Vancouver, or Sydney, which often win best cities lists.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Weird that Edinburgh isn't on the list, but Glasgow is.

^yeah, I like Edinburgh better, but maybe its changed since I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yep, arbitrary and highly questionable. Istanbul? In the current dictatorial climate, Istanbul?(and yes, wondered about Baltimore too, no doubt much to praise it but terrible, terrible income inequality, slums and racial tension)Dubai? If you're stinking rich maybe.
    Well EVERY best of list is subjective and arbitrary. Istanbul has a rich cultural history, lets say on par with Rome and perhaps equal or better to some place like London. If you are visiting, you may be going for those reasons. I am not sure the current character of the local government is a huge issue.

I am not quite sure how Baltimore made it on to the list. Dubai, I understand is impressive in some ways, but like many of the so called best cities in the world, not for travelers on a budget. Obviously, no place is perfect and every place has its strengths and weaknesses.

Overall, it is interesting to see how we rank according to cities across the world and we actually do quite well. I think we take some things for granted that other places don't have. As the saying goes, people vote with their feet and Edmonton has grown a lot over the years, so while we who have lived here for years may not always recognize it, the people who move here do.