Thread: Ward 8 Candidates

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Ward 8 Candidates

I know Henderson is up for re-election, but it seems like he hasn't put much effort in to the election this time. His website isn't even working.
    Kirsten Goa signs are everywhere on private property. I've seen lots of Eli Schrader signs as well, but mostly on public property.

Kosowan seems to be the most reasonable on issues. The others seem to be focusing on LGBQT and homelessness. While certainly issues, I don't think those are going to be at the top of many voters' minds.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yeah, I'm surprised that Henderson seems to be mailing it in, especially when Goa seems to have a lot of support behind her (meaning he actually has a challenger this election, and should be doing more). If he didn't want to run, why toss his hat into ring? I've seen a total of 2 Henderson signs on private property.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Goa and Kosowan will carve up the dissatisfied former Henderson voters. Henderson probably wins again. Too bad because both those other candidates are credible and working hard. Schrader is an affable fellow and I hope he runs again.

Despite all the hand wringing over how to keep cranks from running for mayor there appear to be many worthy candidates running across the city. Ward 7 Matthew Kleywegt in particular caught my attention.

Overlooked story of the election campaign in this ward:

Goa was backed mostly by provincial NDP organizers. Kossowan by federal NDP organizers. Clearly Henderson won because these two split votes. Ideologically there's a pubic hair's difference between the three of them. Conspiracy alert: Was one of these candidates a fifth column for Henderson? And what are the implications for the only federal NDP seat in all of Alberta?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Henderson's wife was a long-time Liberal MLA, so that would likely be where the ideological rift lies.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm well acquainted with Ms. Blakeman and her politics. There's no rift.