Thread: Edmonton becoming a safer city in the eyes of Canadians: poll

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton becoming a safer city in the eyes of Canadians: poll

Great to see and incredibly important to keep working on/towards. We will have some equally impressive stats coming out next week on this topic, stay tuned!

-----
    Edmonton becoming a safer city in the eyes of Canadians: poll

Clare Clancy

Edmonton is climbing the ranks of Canada’s safest cities, jumping ahead in a poll that measured the public’s perception of safety for the second year in a row.

“It has actually worked out very well for Edmonton,” said David Valentin, executive vice-president of Mainstreet Research, the firm that surveyed more than 2,000 Canadians across the country. “It has to do with the kind of media we’re exposed to in the rest of Canada.”

Respondents ranked 15 cities in terms of safety, regardless of crime statistics, for the 2017 Mainstreet-Postmedia poll released Wednesday.

In 2016, Edmonton took eleventh place, but the city has moved up to sixth spot this year. Calgary fell behind Edmonton, staying in tenth place.

Winnipeg ranked last once again — deemed the most unsafe place — while Ottawa clinched the top spot as the safest city for the second time.

National rankings for perception of safety in cities (from most safe to least safe):

Ottawa
    Charlottetown
    Victoria
    Moncton
    St. John’s, N.L.
    Edmonton
    Halifax
    Vancouver
    Regina
    Calgary
    Quebec City
    Saskatoon
    Montreal
    Toronto
    Winnipeg
    [email protected]

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...canadians-poll
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

What a load of rubbish. A polling firm doing a survey on where people ''feel safe" even though humans are chronically cited to have less perception, and awareness about whether they are safe, than almost any animal. In short a species that will sit there on a beach staring at a tsunami while all the animal, insect life high tails it out of dodge, because they feel safe, and look at that, gotta get that on film and youtube it..

Some interesting twisted phrases in the article;

"Edmonton is climbing the ranks of Canada’s safest cities" Um, no, murder, violence, assault stats would cover that. This is just a poll on perception. So why state that erroneous preamble?

Next, this evoking that the poll and premise is too silly for words;

"Respondents ranked 15 cities in terms of safety, regardless of crime statistics"

That said, I comprehend that perception is important, just that the human species is increasingly daft about what perceptions they have and why.

As depressing as it is to state it one wonders if such things as shiny new arenas do somehow change peoples impression of what a city is like. Edmonton is basically Winnipeg, theres not that much difference and yet..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Great to see and incredibly important to keep working on/towards. We will have some equally impressive stats coming out next week on this topic, stay tuned!
    If we are going to use this poll to promote the city then we are promoting a fallacy. Not that I feel particularly unsafe in Edmonton but the poll is purely based on anecdotal impressions which are subject to skewing by factors such as media reporting. I'm all for boosting Edmonton but let's not be disingenuous.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../c-g08-eng.gif
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 23-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Well, lets all move to Barrie.

With 32 homicides and counting....we still have a lot of work to do.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yesterday afternoon on the CTV News national website three of the most viewed stories originated out of Edmonton. One was about the seized machine guns manufactured just west of the city, one was about the bride and groom arrested on wedding night after altercation in downtown hotel, and one was about the homicide investigation relating to the house fire that killed the mom and infant.
    Last edited by edTel; 24-08-2017 at 03:57 PM.

I am 100 percent pro Edmonton but our violent crime rate is higher than other Canadian cities. We need to address this problem and not mask it with surveys like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It's kind of a silly poll - it's only about perceptions, not reality. I suppose perceptions matter a bit in attracting tourists, although places like Toronto and Montreal are perceived to be less safe than they actually are, but people still go there a lot.

The perceptions sort of correlate more to the size of the city and whether it is a capital city or not, so smaller cities are generally perceived as safer than larger ones and capitals are perceived to be safer than non capital cities, with a few major exceptions (ex. Vancouver and Winnipeg). The perceptions do not correlate well to actual violent crime statistics. For instance, Toronto does not have a high rate, but is not perceived to be safe, while Regina which has a very high rate is perceived to be fairly safe.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Only certain areas of Toronto are considered unsafe, such as the infamous Jane & Finch. Likewise with Vancouver and its east downtown ghetto.

Anway, given Edmonton's reputation for being a violent city along with monikers such as "Murder City", any change in perception from that is welcoming if you ask me.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I don't feel as safe as I did, but I suspect that goes for any city.

Our violent crime may be higher than average this year but I honestly feel that Edmonton is a safer city than it has been. Drug murders and retaliations are generally kept out of the public arena, unlike places like Toronto or Kelowna where shootings seem to occur right in the open during broad daylight or in crowded spaces like restaurants and malls with more regularity than here.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Only certain areas of Toronto are considered unsafe, such as the infamous Jane & Finch. Likewise with Vancouver and its east downtown ghetto.

Anway, given Edmonton's reputation for being a violent city along with monikers such as "Murder City", any change in perception from that is welcoming if you ask me.
    A lot of the violent crime here occurs mostly in certain areas too. I suspect that is the case with most cities, not just Toronto and Vancouver. People notice, but do not always take the sensational headlines as seriously as some might think. I think they pay much more attention to what is happening in their neighbourhood/area and the parts of the city they go to regularly and base their perceptions on that.