Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for a domain name change?

Maybe banning food threads would be beneficial too.

Dammit, then I'd have to make more Yelp and Urbanspoon reviews..I'm compulsive that way..

Hey, it would surprise some people here that half my restaurant reviews are positive.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Dammit, then I'd have to make more Yelp and Urbanspoon reviews..I'm compulsive that way..

Hey, it would surprise some people here that half my restaurant reviews are positive.

It may be that refusing to call 3/4 of the food establishments "restaurants", and instead labelling them "toxic waste dumps" skews your calculation.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

05:39hrs

Only one non-Edmonton thread in the What's New section.
    Onward and upward

Plus this thread...

snicker...

And to those who do not think that Trump has any affect to Edmonton; if the deranged Il Duce II decides to nuke North Korea, the fallout will cover Edmonton, literally.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    05:39hrs

Only one non-Edmonton thread in the What's New section.
    What this possibly means is that discussing this in this thread and people making their views known on having less discussion of Trump, and US politics on the board has resulted in less of it. It was not uncommon in the last several months to see several US threads up every morning. Maybe people are less likely to bring it up as often now.

Additionally with the UCP merger discussion of more local politics has increased perhaps sating the politico discussion.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Edmonton is not an island.

The Trump Presidency is the number one issue in the World and affects Edmonton with changes in policy, NAFTA, oil prices, pipelines, immigration, trade, etc..
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

The Trump Presidency is the number one issue in the World and affects Edmonton with changes in policy, NAFTA, oil prices, pipelines, immigration, trade, etc..
    The importance of the US is steadily diminishing. Within our lifetime Russia and China have overtaken the US as influences. Germany is probably more important in the world in present day than the US. The US is riding a steady decline to England level of relative obscurity. Give it 10, 20 more years and see its global importance shaken even more. Plus that the US is not a county that I want Canada to evoke.
    Finally, I encourage trade with other nations that are less self serving and less America first in trade negotiations. Canada is positioned to have ample trade partners. Its not like there is sole dependence.

Canada is positioned to have ample trade partners. Its not like there is sole dependence.
    Are you high, ignorant or deliberately obtuse? The US is the destination of almost 80% of our exports & the source of over 50% of our imports. China is 4% & 12%, respectively.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Thank you Admin for changing the front page to the forum's home. I get that Trump is the #1 issue facing the world, or so many think he is at least.

When new visitors arrive at this site, I doubt they are looking for information on the Trump presidency and might get rather turned off quickly from this site when first arriving on the landing page and seeing many of the threads were Trump related and not really pertaining to Edmonton. I'm hoping to see new blood here, We've all read each others posts on each subject many times now, and having fresh perspectives will help grow this site.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Canada is positioned to have ample trade partners. Its not like there is sole dependence.
    Are you high, ignorant or deliberately obtuse? The US is the destination of almost 80% of our exports & the source of over 50% of our imports. China is 4% & 12%, respectively.
    76% to be exact, and what don't you comprehend about the English language?

Nothing in the quoted sentence is incorrect. Canada IS positioned to have ample trade partners and indeed does. Less US trade reliance would be a positive. Nor is the statement "its not like their is sole dependence'' incorrect. Many Canadian exports can be shipped anywhere and indeed are. In some cases for higher price.

More Trade with Europe is also expected. I'm also not alone in thinking Canada should expand trade to other partners.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle34900633/

Under Trump brand protectionism and isolationist thinking the Trade with the US will invariably decrease.

Several countries, including Canada, are also looking at ways to BYPASS the US in trade.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trad...xico-1.4085031

Finally, on principle I'll boycott US products which isn't hard to do. Most of what they sell is junk, disposable, or impulse purchases I don't need. Nor do I frequent US chains. I don't travel to the US either.

Perhaps more Canadians could be taking an anti US stance right now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-08-2017 at 11:39 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The importance of the US is steadily diminishing. Within our lifetime Russia and China have overtaken the US as influences. Germany is probably more important in the world in present day than the US. The US is riding a steady decline to England level of relative obscurity. Give it 10, 20 more years and see its global importance shaken even more. Plus that the US is not a county that I want Canada to evoke.
    Finally, I encourage trade with other nations that are less self serving and less America first in trade negotiations. Canada is positioned to have ample trade partners. Its not like there is sole dependence.
    What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

What do you mean by that?
    I mean sole. What do you think I mean?

Is this English challenged day on C2E?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/sole

Sole would be one, only, alone, etc.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

75% or 80% might just as well be sole dependence. If a company lost a customer that they sold 75 to 80% of the value of their product to what do you think would happen to that company?

Let's sell our oil to the rest of the world instead of the US. How well is that working?

Replacement. How would we get our oil to Europe, China or India? We can't even get our oil to New Brunswick and east coast gets most of their oil from overseas. And will Europe even want oil from the Tar Sands?

One of big exports to the US is automobiles. Will the Honda, Ford, GM and Toyota plants in Ontario ship cars to Europe or China? Nope. They would close the plants and move them to the US, Mexico, Spain or even emerging North Africa.

You just can't change our trading partners like dance partners. Other than the US we are on the other side of the world compared to other markets geographically, linguistically, logistically and we are at a competitive disadvantage with our high costs. It would take decades to change our trading partners.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    75% or 80% might just as well be sole dependence. If a company lost a customer that they sold 75 to 80% of the value of their product to what do you think would happen to that company?

Let's sell our oil to the rest of the world instead of the US. How well is that working?
    How well is over reliance on that raw material exports boom bust economy working? LESS trade with the USA could result in more refining of Oil and gas and shipping out higher priced product for more profit instead of simply shipping raw petrochemicals. Would also result in more impetus for diversification of industry, products, exports.

While I'm not an advocate of it a lot of petrochemicals has been transported by freight train. Obviously pipelines are preferable.

Also as a nation its reprehensible that Quebec has had petrochemicals imported from the middle east by Tanker. Instead of approving the latest pipeline from Alberta.

Less reliance on the US also FORCES Canada to have more inter province trade, unity, and cooperation. Not a bad thing either.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Replacement. How would we get our oil to Europe, China or India? We can't even get our oil to New Brunswick and east coast gets most of their oil from overseas. And will Europe even want oil from the Tar Sands?

One of big exports to the US is automobiles. Will the Honda, Ford, GM and Toyota plants in Ontario ship cars to Europe or China? Nope. They would close the plants and move them to the US, Mexico, Spain or even emerging North Africa.

You just can't change our trading partners like dance partners. Other than the US we are on the other side of the world compared to other markets geographically, linguistically, logistically and we are at a competitive disadvantage with our high costs. It would take decades to change our trading partners.
    What? Vancouver, Prince Rupert trading ports complete with well established highway and freight train corridors don't exist? What?,pipelines don't exist? Canada has ALWAYS had an open door to Asia Pacific trade. Many of our natural resources products are desired, needed in that part of the world. It doesn't take decades to shift what we already do.

But Canada also has a lot of things going for it economically. Canada is as positioned as any nation in the world to increase its self autonomy, domestic trade within Canada, and of course benefits enormously from such things as Real Estate investment and Tourism. All of which is expected to increase as well as a financial impetus. For many regions of Canada Real Estate and Tourism is the main economy anyway.

Finally, its incomprehensible that Canada, with an enviable Tourism industry has a Tourism deficit. As a Nation we need to work on that as well. Most of my travel is within Canada. There is a ton of things to see, places to visit in this country. As consumers bringing your trade dollars outside Canada to the degree we do has implications on all Canadians. Additionally I'll call cross border shopping a DISGUSTING concept that NO Canadian should engage in. Yet many on this board engage in such practice and wax on about international flights, international vacays and such.

Its time to rethink a lot of that and keep our dollars and trade dollars in Canada more. Its time to benefit Canadians and start being a smarter nation in trade balance in a lot of sectors.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2017 at 08:08 AM.

More on travel trade deficit.

An interesting article;

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle29934647/

Clearly some rethinking from Millennials is in order. The whole world Travels to Canada but a decreasing amount of this generation ever travels significantly within Canada. With so many of them considering themselves sophisticated globe trotters. But the #1 reason cited in the article, that travel within Canada is expensive is laughable. For instance Via rail passes and travel, particularly for young people is incredibly cheap and subsidized. Use it. Riding the rails, Backpacking, hosteling and camping is one of the cheapest ways to see the Country. Instead of just buying tons of stuff from MEC put it to use.

This is tons of money exiting our national economy. Do people NEVER consider that or its implications?

To me the article is full of erroneous comments but I found these ones startling;

“Having the opportunity to meet people from Sweden and Russia and Israel and Australia – all these other travellers – that was a pretty great experience.” – Michael, 35''

In fact I laughed my *** at this comment. I've had a ton of interaction with foreign travellers, from countries around the world, on Via Rail, I've had as much interaction as I've wanted with foreign tourists on any backcountry trail in the Rockies, or in Banff, Lake Louise for instance.

Photos of Machu Pichu more impressive than say our beautiful Rockies? Actually Moraine Lake is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. With many visitors saying that.

But this comment was the stupidest;

"Folks in my age group are looking to step outside of their comfort zone and experience something new and exciting, and that’s not something you’ll necessarily get when hopping a flight from Vancouver to Toronto.”

Well how about a trip to Prince Rupert, book a passage excursion, visit the rockies, do some backcountry, Visit Tofino, do the Pacific trail, Go to Churchill, explore the Historic Hudson Bay.

Every province in this Nation has fantastic exciting options and the comment about Vancouver is so incredibly thick. Theres not a region on Earth that has more exciting day trips anywhere, using any mode of transportation, as the BC Lower mainland.

I wonder how many of these young Canadians have even hopped on a float plane mail run where you don't even know where you will be headed and its luck of the draw bonuses of what you get to see in a resplendent coast line. How many have been on even 2 islands in the region via BC Ferries? How many have even heard of the Sunshine Coast?

ps, this should probably be its own thread. An increasing domestic trade and travel thread and buy Canadian. Something I've heard all my life but few seem to commit to. I find it odd Canadians are moving in a different direction. Milennials 8 times more likely to take their travel outside the Nation? That's in a word crazy. We have no conception of the REAL cost of that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.

"In 2015, U.S. merchandise trade with Canada consisted of US$295.2 billion in imports and US$280.3 billion in exports."
    You are going to run $600B in trade through Vancouver and Prince Rupert ???? The Port of Vancouver is already at nearly max capacity. Ever been to Prince Rupert? It's tiny island with one, two lane bridge and one single rail bridge and 12,000 residents (smaller than Stoney Plain). Bahhahahaha!

The Lower mainland and Prince Rupert Ports particularly, geographically, represent some of the most ideal sheltered port areas found anywhere. Not just Vancouver either but Fraser River, but other inlets, etc. There is capacity to expand port access in the area. Geographically its hard to argue that the area is at capacity. Bottlenecks, for instance Freight, while they exist can be maximized. Geographically speaking these are some of the best ports on Earth, located on the Pacific, with endless trade possibilities.

Prince Rupert has not been developed as much as it could be. But its always been available as a Port location. Not poorly suited either for trade with say Japan. Prince Rupert is a very efficient shipping option with easy rail or freight to shipping transfer. With little of the problems in transport found in most urban areas of the world.

Canada from Coast to Coast is geographically gifted with fantastic port options, and shipping options. Investment from Canadians, supporting Canada, should increase that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2017 at 08:52 AM.

How well is over reliance on that raw material exports boom bust economy working? LESS trade with the USA could result in more refining of Oil and gas and shipping out higher priced product for more profit instead of simply shipping raw petrochemicals. Would also result in more impetus for diversification of industry, products, exports.

While I'm not an advocate of it a lot of petrochemicals has been transported by freight train. Obviously pipelines are preferable.

Also as a nation its reprehensible that Quebec has had petrochemicals imported from the middle east by Tanker. Instead of approving the latest pipeline from Alberta.

Less reliance on the US also FORCES Canada to have more inter province trade, unity, and cooperation. Not a bad thing either.
    You've got a near-presidential understanding of how international trade works. I think Donny's less out to lunch than you are though.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

You've got a near-presidential understanding of how international trade works. I think Donny's less out to lunch than you are though.
    Feel free to summarily condescend or actually reply to anything. I know what option you'll pick. That's on you.

That said Donald Trump SHOULD know more than anybody on this board about international trade. Albeit a few thinkers here consider themselves beyond reproach or equal, company included.

Feel free to summarily condescend or actually reply to anything. I know what option you'll pick. That's on you.
    The delicious irony of you attempting to condescend to me about me being condescending is rich, even for the cranky & contrarian Replacement. You're turning into Statler & Waldorf meets Dunning & Kruger.

The delicious irony of you attempting to condescend to me about me being condescending is rich, even for the cranky & contrarian Replacement. You're turning into Statler & Waldorf meets Dunning & Kruger.
    Not at all. You're intelligent and well worth reading. But when you select a certain mode, and you do, and you know you do, it becomes as pointless as discussing a topic with a block of wood. Oh yes, I'm guilty on counts as well.

Carry on and stop using vague references like Dunning & Kruger that I gotta go and google.

jk, I enjoy the references.

Not at all. You're intelligent and well worth reading. But when you select a mode, and you do, and you know you do, it becomes as pointless as discussing a topic with a block of wood. Oh yes, I'm guilty on counts as well.
    I reached that point when you doubled down on the disregarding of the inherent & natural prominence of our trade along the single longest undefended border in the world & suggested that, rather than utilize our massive investment in existing infrastructure & relationships that provides easy access to a wide & varied market we should instead throw away over a hundred years of a historical relationship, destroy our coastlines & other natural areas to construct vast amounts of infrastructure in a vain attempt to try and alleviate comparatively massive bottlenecks, just to shift a pittance of the trade we currently have with our largest partner to far-off-lands (at higher economic & environmental costs, decreasing competitiveness) all because you don't like their politics of the day (or whatever other vague consternation that's got a bee in your britches).

"MERICA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD " is not sufficient impetus or reason to disregard basic geography, economics & common sense.

Not at all. You're intelligent and well worth reading. But when you select a mode, and you do, and you know you do, it becomes as pointless as discussing a topic with a block of wood. Oh yes, I'm guilty on counts as well.
    I reached that point when you doubled down on the disregarding of the inherent & natural prominence of our trade along the single longest undefended border in the world & suggested that, rather than utilize our massive investment in existing infrastructure & relationships that provides easy access to a wide & varied market we should instead throw away over a hundred years of a historical relationship, destroy our coastlines & other natural areas to construct vast amounts of infrastructure in a vain attempt to try and alleviate comparatively massive bottlenecks, just to shift a pittance of the trade we currently have with our largest partner to far-off-lands (at higher economic & environmental costs, decreasing competitiveness) all because you don't like their politics of the day (or whatever other vague consternation that's got a bee in your britches).

"MERICA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD " is not sufficient impetus or reason to disregard basic geography, economics & common sense.
    Its fair, I have a learned Anti US bias that I acknowledge. Duly, and I got a bee in my britches, presently, obviously. I would not have denied anything you'd stated in this post had you stated it as a first reply, (or at any point) instead of the meander it took you to get to this point.

A simpler reply would be "Replacement, you're biased"

I'll just shout at some random clouds now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12