Thread: Trudeau forgets Alberta

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Trudeau forgets Alberta

During his speech on Canada Day, Trudeau was listing Canadian provinces except he missed one. Alberta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ameSb-3PH98
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Unintentional mistake.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^So he says. But its curious, and at best Freudian isn't it.

I mean seriously would anybody forget to say Quebec? If they did what would be the reaction. Another referendum.

Theres two possibilities here.

1) He seriously forgot about Alberta which is highly symbolic, if not illustrative.

2) He intentionally trolled Alberta in his 150 nations address.

I'm not sure which is better. There is no do over on this. This was not just an annual Canada Address this is botching it on the historic 150 anniversary.

How do you forget arguably the most important province in Canada the last half of confederation and a prime economic engine of the country?
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-07-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Continued Contributor

^ a mistake. Get over it.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

It's not like he forgot to mention Quebec. Let's be big boys about this. Or are you going to whine about this all week for a verbal typo.

It was in his speech and he made a mistake when he read it. He apologized.

For those who can't give it up, let's see how you would do making a speech to such a vast audience?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 02-07-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

He's a leftie . Their brains are wired differently , they can't recognize the importance or multi task. Eg) stand and talk at Same time .

I'm not the PM I don't need to be qualified to make speeches to such vast audiences. But ya, lets forget about it no use whining.

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    He's a leftie . Their brains are wired differently , they can't recognize the importance or multi task. Eg) stand and talk at Same time .
    Sounds like you are very jealous of him and have an inferiority complex. Do you need a shoulder to cry upon because I am offering mine.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The problem is that he started in BC then jumped up into the territories then back down to Saskatchewan. He should have listed all the provinces first, from west to east, and left those non-provinces for last. Easier to remember that way.

Other than that, a total non-issue. He did admit his mistake and apologized later.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Last year he rather hang out with the communists. This year he failes geography.

Wasn't it written down?

I didn't watch or listen to him, so I found out when he shouted I love Alberta , which is politically BS.

He needs a geography lesson.lol

C2E Long Term Contributor

Last year he rather hang out with the communists. This year he failes geography.
    But did he pass grammar and spelling? Mistakes happen to the best of us. Maybe he felt bad for the rest of the Provinces and Territories given that he named two Albertan's as the two new astronauts.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/201.../#.WVkfi8ZrloN

Someone said, imagine if he had 50 of them. Poor tater tot..lol

Mistakes happen. Even the right wing extremist conservatives make mistakes too!
    He apologized. Move on yokels
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    He's such a dork.
    He had a mic, why was he screaming. I know he loves a huge crowd, but god, it sounded terrible YELLING.

You know how Trudeau keeps jet setting on holidays to private islands and how he wants to shorten his work week on the hill. Well I think when he wakes up in the morning he forgets he's the Prime Minister. Yes, forgetting to mention Alberta on Canada's 150th. birthday is a bit of a show stopper. That speech is rather historic because of the occasion. Once again Tater Tot will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. Oh wait, there are no right reasons to remember him. Next up, Trudeau forgets to wear his trousers while meeting heads of state.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Mistakes happen.
    Yeah, lighten up - it's not like he was Prime Minister giving an historical speech on the 150th birthday of our nation or anything!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    But did he pass grammar and spelling? Mistakes happen to the best of us. Maybe he felt bad for the rest of the Provinces and Territories given that he named two Albertan's as the two new astronauts.
    Maybe his game plan is putting all Albertans in space.

C2E SME

It's not just about Alberta. This is a special occasion where there's supposed to be great attention to detail. If you forgot to mention a family member at an anniversary, you would immediately admit the mistake and apologize.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

The funniest thing about it is he remembers to say Newfoundland and Labrador, (Labrador having a population of 32K but important enough to be mentioned) and Nunavut, pop 35K. But those get specifically stated.

Its not just that he didn't mention Alberta either, its that it is of course Alberta, of all provinces that another Trudeau is disrespectful to. Its not any other province, its Alberta, and we certainly recognize that its specifically Alberta that gets this nature of treatment from the Liberals, and specifically from the Trudeaus.

Its interesting that the only responses the Trudeau lovers have is "get over it" "don't be a baby" and "wah, he made a mistake, what are you gonna do cry"

Which is about the level of rebuttal I've come to expect from Liberal supporters.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I would mark Newfoundland and Labrador wrong as well as it would be normative to actually point to Newfoundland, and/or label both of them separately.

Another point docked for inverting the C on Columbia. Whats up with that?

and who writes little "t" like that?

Theres even something weird going on with "d"...

I guess that some of you feel hurt that tater tot forgot you.

Really, you guys are playing this up like spoiled 5 year olds.

Wanna cookie to make you feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I guess that some of you feel hurt that tater tot forgot you.

Really, you guys are playing this up like spoiled 5 year olds.

Wanna cookie to make you feel better?
    On cue...

Oh he's forgotten Alberta many times before (enhanced unemployment, Fort McMurray fires, pipelines...) so why should we be surprised now?

Mistakes happen.
    Yeah, lighten up - it's not like he was Prime Minister giving an historical speech on the 150th birthday of our nation or anything!
    Then keep crying about this. Meanwhile the rest of the country moves on...,
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Oh he's forgotten Alberta many times before (enhanced unemployment, Fort McMurray fires, pipelines...) so why should we be surprised now?
    I'm not a big fan of Trudeau's social media primping but being blamed for forgetting about Ft. Mac and Albertans is a tad unfair.

Fort McMurray disaster relief could cost federal government billions of dollars

With the cost of the wildfires likely in the hundreds of millions, if not billions, the federal government would likely be responsible for a huge chunk of that amount.

By comparison, the federal government paid out around $1.4 billion related to damages from the 2013 Alberta floods (the government initially expected its costs to be potentially double that amount).

Trudeau announces enhanced EI benefits
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 02-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Oops my bad he ignored Edmonton not Alberta when implementing enhanced EI benefits
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...not-harder-hit

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm not a big JT/Liberal fan but I'm willing to cut him some slack here, no big deal.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oops my bad he ignored Edmonton not Alberta when implementing enhanced EI benefits
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...not-harder-hit
    That was because of our unemployment rate at the time. We now get the enhanced ei weeks. I'm currently on ei phasing into oas/gis in September. I've got 25 weeks and ei does not count cpp. When i applied for ei May 31st I got my first ei cheque on June 8th. That's within 9 days. That's never happened to me before when I was on UIC/Ei
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Mistakes happen.
    LOL. He will looks as stupid as he is in history! Love it

Hello Lady just loves Trump who makes dozens of errors and expounds complete lies each week and then ignores them or brushes them off as fake news.

JT made a minor gaffe and then jumps on him like if JT just shot someone on 5th Avenue.

The hypocrisy is astounding to the point of being a farce.

Are you really for real Hello Lady?

Innocent mistake, and if you critics actually go and watch the video, like one second after he finished that he realized he made a mistake, ran back up, and gave Alberta some love. Everything's a conspiracy or an intentional snub to you people. Bunch of crybabies.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Innocent mistake, and if you critics actually go and watch the video, like one second after he finished that he realized he made a mistake, ran back up, and gave Alberta some love. Everything's a conspiracy or an intentional snub to you people. Bunch of crybabies.
    Actually , it was Sandra Oh that told him Im not crying over anything, I think its hilarious, but it suits tater tot..LOL

^That's what I read also. Oh told him when Tater Tot got of the stage. I think she said 'Hay bozo, you forgot to mention Alberta' or something on those lines. Anyway, as it was 'the speech' for Canada's 150 birthday bash it's going to look real good framed and mounted in some prominent place for people to read. That is if your not from Alberta.

No, she said; "hey bozo, don't act like such a Gemini"

^Don't recall doing a speech to the Canadian people on Canada's 150th birthday.
    If that had of been Harper the lefties would have been running around with their hair on fire. They would be taking Valium by the handfuls.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Trudeau's social media primping but being blamed for forgetting about Ft. Mac and Albertans is a tad unfair.

Fort McMurray disaster relief could cost federal government billions of dollars

With the cost of the wildfires likely in the hundreds of millions, if not billions, the federal government would likely be responsible for a huge chunk of that amount.

By comparison, the federal government paid out around $1.4 billion related to damages from the 2013 Alberta floods (the government initially expected its costs to be potentially double that amount).
    (Bolded by me)
    No: Fort McMurray disaster relief could cost the Canadian Taxpayer billions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Don't recall doing a speech to the Canadian people on Canada's 150th birthday.
    If that had of been Harper the lefties would have been running around with their hair on fire. They would be taking Valium by the handfuls.
    Can you imagine??? It would be headline news on CBC for a good month!

This falls under two explanations. Stupid or a Liar

Some people are such jerks - like they have never made a slip up in their lives. As a 4th generation Alberta I don't have any concern - it was a hectic day for the PM. The last thing Alberta needs is hysterical trumpettes trying to make an issue out of this - when it's not. Most Albertans are not snivelling little whiners thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Some people are such jerks - like they have never made a slip up in their lives. As a 4th generation Alberta I don't have any concern - it was a hectic day for the PM. The last thing Alberta needs is hysterical trumpettes trying to make an issue out of this - when it's not. Most Albertans are not snivelling little whiners thankfully.
    Actually take a look at the tweets, some people felt hurt, and who are you to say they can't feel that way. You may be snivelling at something others think is nothing..
    What's trump got to do with this? SFA, that's what!!!

Outside of Alberta, nobody cares.
    It's heaven and hell!

Outside of a few whiners on this forum, nobody cares...

That's convenient as a copout. Except for one thing. When a mistake like this occurs its most often in regards to Alberta. This province has replaced Newfoundland (remember those inappropriate jokes) as the laughingstock of Canada. With everybody LOVING to take a dig at Alberta or Albertans. My suspicion is this wasn't accidental. Because TARGETING Alberta is politically viable in this country. Give Alberta the gears in some way, or in some speech, or make it the butt of a national joke and theres actual political mileage in it. Trudeau actually benefits from this and gets more votes outside of Alberta for this inside joke on Alberta. Those doubting this kind of thing should travel the nation more. You won't see one other province in confederation that gets targeted more than Albertans. Especially in Quebec. Both Trudeaus have had contempt for Alberta and have exhibited it regularly. There isn't this type of mileage with other provinces, there is with Alberta. Not being paranoid stating that. Alberta targeting occurs in this country regularly. It certainly occurs politically.

^ yes. It's all a conspiracy. Everything on this forum is a conspiracy too.

People get a hold of yourselves. Lol
    It's heaven and hell!

As a 4th generation Alberta I don't have any concern - it was a hectic day for the PM.
    Oh, I see it was just a hectic day. Not that he is an imbecile.

A greater man like Stephen Harper sure wouldn't have made that mistake.

Outside of Alberta, nobody cares.
    Well duh, of course they don't! Commenting on the obvious..lol

As a 4th generation Alberta I don't have any concern - it was a hectic day for the PM.
    Oh, I see it was just a hectic day. Not that he is an imbecile.

A greater man like Stephen Harper sure wouldn't have made that mistake.
    He did say he got excited, poor tater tot, a camera in his face and he wets himself with joy..lol!

To think Trudeau intentionally omitted Alberta in his speech is foolish.

Ever make a speech in front of your co-workers? Suppose you received an award at work or your company achieved some milestone, and you had to make a congratulatory speech. When you stand up in the office, you're going to absolutely make sure you acknowledge that one co-worker who constantly whines and talks behind your back. Because if you don't, you are not going to hear the end of it.

It's not worth the aggravation.

"Let me also give a big shout out to Henry in payroll for being a team player in our office!"

Henry still hates you. But if you slip up he will judge you more.

Always have to coddle thin-skinned Henry.

And the ultra thin skinned crybabies on the alt-right who can't accept that Trudeau won a sweeping majority and Harper lost HUGE.

Get over it.

Same list of characters who say the same thing about Trump and Clinton but just cry when the shoe is on the other foot.

It is comical that they whine so much because they feel so hurt over a minor gaffe that was an honest mistake that he corrected and apologized a moment later. He is the adult in the room full of crybabies.

Trudeau has averaged a 52.7 per cent approval rate in the three most recent polls, with 39.3 per cent disapproving of his performance.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4173056

Meanwhile, your American counterpart is polling in reverse numbers.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 04-07-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

Ever make a speech in front of your co-workers? Suppose you received an award at work or your company achieved some milestone, and you had to make a congratulatory speech. When you stand up in the office, you're going to absolutely make sure you acknowledge that one co-worker who constantly whines and talks behind your back. Because if you don't, you are not going to hear the end of it.

"Let me also give a big shout out to Henry in payroll for being a team player in our office!"

I don't think he did it intentionally, its still pretty funny for little potato though..lol

its foolish to think Alberta and Albertans get singled out? By Trudeaus? Oh why would I think that?

Now how would it be if this was Harper and he omitted Quebec. Guess what the most certain response to that would be. Guess how many liberal supporters posting in this thread that this is nothing would take that as some agenda or slight by Harper who was accused for much less.

This is the 150 speech for the nation of Canada. If one attempts to list in the context of a speech that is about inclusion, and diversity, and one goes onto list the provinces and territories then it is imminently silly to list all of them. But when one remembers such sparsely populated territories and even remembers to say Nunavut, AND state Newfoundland and Labrador, it seems odd one couldn't remember the rather significant province of Alberta sitting on the prairies bordering the rockies. One has to be reminded of that apparently by Sandra Oh.

And the ultra thin skinned crybabies on the alt-right who can't accept that Trudeau won a sweeping majority and Harper lost HUGE.

Get over it.

Same list of characters who say the same thing about Trump and Clinton but just cry when the shoe is on the other foot.

It is comical that they whine so much because they feel so hurt over a minor gaffe that was an honest mistake that he corrected and apologized a moment later. He is the adult in the room full of crybabies.

Trudeau has averaged a 52.7 per cent approval rate in the three most recent polls, with 39.3 per cent disapproving of his performance.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4173056

Meanwhile, your American counterpart is polling in reverse numbers.
    Present day North American politics selects for idiots and liars. Regardless of political stripe or affiliation. Politics has become more about voters being duped into what a politician or party will say they will do rather than what they will actually do. Plus approval ratings are merely indicative of a popularity contest. That they like somebody, on some level. Not relative to what they have actually done or delivered in office. Wheres electoral reform, you know where they are at on that, you know its not on the table. Do you attribute that to lies, dishonesty, improper evaluation, or just saying anything to get votes?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

This thread is both sad and hilarious at the same time.

In no way shape or form do I think that the omission of Alberta from the list of provinces was an intentional conspiracy theory on behalf of the Prime Minister or anybody else in his caucus or staff. Mistakes are made in speeches all the time. It's how you handle the fallout that is crucial.

But the bigger problem here is, an allegedly, most likely involuntary omission or gaffe is turned into a lot larger issue. Partisan politics rears its ugly head. I have had a colossal laugh over some folks on this thread who are going out of their way to minimize the gaffe as a simple mistake, yet insert the words Prime Minister Harper, Prime Minister Cameron, President Bush, VP candidate Sarah Palin, or any other on the political slant that is not of their liking, and the very same people on this thread you are minimizing Prime Minister Trudeau's gaffe would be all over these people like a stain. And yes, when I juxtapose this thread with the Trump thread(s), the flip-flop on opinions is just as noticeable.

Does everybody remember Dan Quayle? For those who don't, I will say spell potato. Look it up. Google it. If the Internet existed to the level that it does the day, I'll guarantee you the thread would look exactly like this except several of you who are now easily dismissing a most likely unintentional slipup would be absolutely eviscerating Dan Quayle. Look at how often the 2nd President Bush was portrayed as a goof, a dork, an *****, and anything else that would come out of any left-leaning politician. One that comes to mind is President Bush forgetting the order of, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". In the middle of a heated speech, he slipped up. Yes, the result was hilarious, and even as President Bush was speaking it, he knew what was going on. He knew he made a mistake. Yet, I guarantee you that the vast majority of people dismissing this gaffe were absolutely pointing and laughing and calling President Bush incompetent, thin-skinned, and ridiculous.

The point here? We live in an incredibly divided political time. We waste an inordinate amount of time picking on political leaders, business leaders, celebrities, and even average citizens over gaffes. Even in Alberta, hard-core economic issues and infrastructure issues are often overlooked and fly under the radar as we spend all of our time screaming and hollering over a misplaced modifier or bad syntax. The media, forms, Facebook, Twitter, and every other form of media both traditional and modern is flooded with spam like conversations about the Kardashian groups latest thing, politicians making a loud whoop during a convention speech, you will believe the net worth of so and so, and you won't believe what this person looks like now. Our political and social discourses now about insults and belittling rather than results. The sad result, real conversations, real gaffes, real blunders then suddenly are either missed or easily excused as just another gaffe. You're seeing that more and more especially with our American cousins. They are so busy worrying about golden showers in Moscow that a lot of the real concerns are starting to slip under the radar yet again.

The other point? I mention how you handle this is crucial. There are times when an "aw shucks" is probably the best response. There are times when immediately rushing back to the stage and groveling or pandering would work. And then there are times where you make a political gaffe or a social gaffe that needs a calm and reasoned response delivered after little bit of time has passed. With this Alberta gaffe, the right response is not to suddenly shower Alberta with praise and false I love you's. It seems insincere and only fuels the cannon fodder that obviously is happening in our political discourse. A simple, humble apology would be best. Why? Because you know the history of "Western alienation" is definitely going to rear its ugly head, and the astute will do everything they can to appear humble rather than insincere.

Does this gaffe mean that myself and many others don't like Justin Trudeau now? No. This gaffe didn't sway anybody's opinion one way or another, which is another nail in the coffin of this whole thing being a silly mistake. Just like I know this blog post won't change a damn thing in the wonderful hypocritical race to see who can tease the other person's hero more over the most minor of infractions. I guess I get to continue to laugh while having to work hard in the background to see real change happen.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    its foolish to think Alberta and Albertans get singled out? By Trudeaus? Oh why would I think that?

Now how would it be if this was Harper and he omitted Quebec. Guess what the most certain response to that would be. Guess how many liberal supporters posting in this thread that this is nothing would take that as some agenda or slight by Harper who was accused for much less.

This is the 150 speech for the nation of Canada. If one attempts to list in the context of a speech that is about inclusion, and diversity, and one goes onto list the provinces and territories then it is imminently silly to list all of them. But when one remembers such sparsely populated territories and even remembers to say Nunavut, AND state Newfoundland and Labrador, it seems odd one couldn't remember the rather significant province of Alberta sitting on the prairies bordering the rockies. One has to be reminded of that apparently by Sandra Oh.
    Your opening sentence is the root of Trudeau's image problem for some in Alberta. No matter what he does, he cannot rid of the resentment his late father created with the NEP. Get over it, that was 40 years ago.

I agree if Harper omitted Quebec in a speech, there would be a crap-storm from the haters. But you know what, if Justin omitted Quebec there still would be a crap-storm. Absolutely Quebec is the spoiled child in Canada that needs constant coddling. On the other hand if the PM forgot about Manitoba or New Brunswick, this would of been a non-story.

The bold quote just proves my earlier post. Because it is a big 150 Canada speech, it is ludicrous Trudeau wold intentionally diss Alberta. He simply had a slip-up, a gaffe. Some Albertans are reading too much into it.

^Everyone knows it was a mistake - but would Harper have made that mistake? Would Trudeau have ever forgotten Quebec, or B.C. or Ontario? It just illustrates that our current PM is from another place, the people who control him are elites in Ottawa - as has always been the case with the Liberal party. The move of the NEB from Alberta (where the energy industry dominates), to Ottawa, while at the same time putting the infrastructure bank in Toronto (where the finance industry dominates), just illustrates the hypocrisy and the regional divide - this is just a sad symptom of that.

It's like elbow-gate all over again. Who cares? All getting worked up over this non issue does is downplay any legitimate issues people have with the administration as it makes it seem like people are willing to attack them over anything.

^^^^Indeed, Richard. You nailed it in your last paragraph.

Nenshi sure like kissing JTs butt..eww!

LOL

@North Guy

Should I get over Trudeau, the most recent one, promising profound electoral change and recanting that promise?

Its arrogant, and dismissive to assume that ones difficulty with Trudeau, or the Trudeaus stems from one event, 40yrs ago.

As per your last point its ludicrous that Trudeau botched something as simple as listing the provinces and territories in such an historic occasion and in the context of inclusion. So that all are included nationwide, except Alberta, by omission, even though it was listed on his speech which he somehow skipped. I guess its hard to remember Alberta though. Maybe when Truedoh recites the alphabet he starts with B. I dunno.

This would be like an emcee at a wedding listing all the guests, thanking them for coming, even remembering to mention the service staff and custodian and forgetting to list the father of the bride that paid for the whole damn thing...

Should I get over Trudeau, the most recent one, promising profound electoral change and recanting that promise?

Its arrogant, and dismissive to assume that ones difficulty with Trudeau, or the Trudeaus stems from one event, 40yrs ago.

As per your last point its ludicrous that Trudeau botched something as simple as listing the provinces and territories in such an historic occasion and in the context of inclusion. So that all are included nationwide, except Alberta, by omission, even though it was listed on his speech which he somehow skipped. I guess its hard to remember Alberta though. Maybe when Truedoh recites the alphabet he starts with B. I dunno.

This would be like an emcee at a wedding listing all the guests, thanking them for coming, even remembering to mention the service staff and custodian and forgetting to list the father of the bride that paid for the whole damn thing...
    Well said!

I have lived in Toronto and Montreal for years.

Sorry to burst your bubble, the topic of Alberta barely comes up.

^Yeah because if there were any two provinces in Canada that are so up their own ar*es it's those two.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

(...)

I'm not perfect. I'll tell you about a real gaffe in a speech in my life...similar in tone to this example...

My mother's eulogy. Her current partner was quite innocently omitted from it. Through all of the attempts to get it down to a certain time line while trying to avoid the politics of a very messy divorce between my parents, her current life partner's name was omitted in a list of people. I could've sworn it was there when I proofread it, but it wasn't spoken during the speech and the copy that the person delivered it didn't have it in there. This potentially a bit of family politics that did rear its head during the will as well, but I'm not to make any accusations.

Talk about feeling like an ***. What you do in that situation? As I said earlier, your response is critical. You could go around the entire place making a big scene about the omission, or on behalf of the family, just simply apologize and spend the next 4+ years making sure that person knew it wasn't an intentional slight by simply keeping the relationship going. It helps that I really like the guy as a friend and I trust him as an advisor. It was a huge gaffe – an inexcusable gaffe. It was a hurtful gaffe. I'm very glad to say though that a very calm and measured reaction over the past 4 years has ensure that I have this gentleman in my life as a friend to this day.

We all make mistakes. Big ones. Again, it's how you handle the fallout that to me is a bigger measure than the actual mistake in the first place.

Just my $.02. Feel free to go back to bashing each other.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    (...)

I'm not perfect. I'll tell you about a real gaffe in a speech in my life...similar in tone to this example...

My mother's eulogy. Her current partner was quite innocently omitted from it. Through all of the attempts to get it down to a certain time line while trying to avoid the politics of a very messy divorce between my parents, her current life partner's name was omitted in a list of people. I could've sworn it was there when I proofread it, but it wasn't spoken during the speech and the copy that the person delivered it didn't have it in there. This potentially a bit of family politics that did rear its head during the will as well, but I'm not to make any accusations.

Talk about feeling like an ***. What you do in that situation? As I said earlier, your response is critical. You could go around the entire place making a big scene about the omission, or on behalf of the family, just simply apologize and spend the next 4+ years making sure that person knew it wasn't an intentional slight by simply keeping the relationship going. It helps that I really like the guy as a friend and I trust him as an advisor. It was a huge gaffe – an inexcusable gaffe. It was a hurtful gaffe. I'm very glad to say though that a very calm and measured reaction over the past 4 years has ensure that I have this gentleman in my life as a friend to this day.

We all make mistakes. Big ones. Again, it's how you handle the fallout that to me is a bigger measure than the actual mistake in the first place.

Just my $.02. Feel free to go back to bashing each other.

Bashing? good lord, talk about exaggeration ..LOL

^Yeah because if there were any two provinces in Canada that are so up their own ar*es it's those two.
    If he had missed out Quebec, there would be a week of mourning, an apology in the HOC and promise of more money..*g*

@RichardS

Well what if the same gaffe above occurs in the context of NOT having a good relationship with that person or party and instead having a lifelong very estranged relationship with that person or party?

Isn't that more the situation in this instance rather than an omission of a respected person that you cite as example.

In the case of Alberta its an omission of a province that is almost always an afterthought or even dare I say adversary for Liberal party, if not the Trudeaus particularly.

I think its fair to respond that your stated comparison, and the milieu in which Trudeau again forgot about, or disregarded Alberta is not one and the same thing. Alberta is the longstanding estranged province to the Liberal party. Perhaps not too curiously the least availed, historically, to the Liberal party. so a curious "mistake" at best. I'll defer to a Freudian slip at best. Alberta being generally not even in mind if you happen to be a Liberal PM, and from Quebec.

ps Richard, the most bashful post in the entire thread is your post #58 in which you bash all sides. Or that there are sides.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 11:47 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Now give you a couple real-life examples of both good reactions and bad reactions to simple mistakes … Even when it comes to the wonderful world of AutoCorrect gone awry…

Improper way.

In a long email to a work colleague, I was using an older smart phone and we were talking about variables in deliverables. In fact the exact words were supposed to be your variable performance is concerning. Somehow, AutoCorrect turned it into your vaginal performance is concerning. Yes, the coworker was female and as it turns out, one of those wonderful social justice warriors. Instead of writing back and saying I think you made a spelling mistake, or just simply questioning the sentence, she forwarded to HR saying I was sexually harassing her. Better yet, the female HR lead thought so as well, even after reading the entire long email about variable performances in deliverables. I get drug through a witchhunt of an incredibly insulting and demeaning HR investigation where I was guilty until proven innocent. When it finally was escalated to this company's legal counsel, the lawyer looked at the text, looked at the HR rep and the person making the complaint, looked at me, simply said, "Richard, you're excused. Have a nice day." After weeks of being drug for the mud, it was swept under the rug quite quickly. I don't know what happened to the HR rep and the person making the complaint, but they could look me in the eye for the entire time I was at the company.

Proper way.

Welcome to the age of the Commodore 64. I put in a long paper about the public versus the private enterprise system. The wonderful word processor in the Commodore 64 (I think was just before Jane) at a great find and replace feature. For some reason it showed up the word public as a spelling mistake, so my wonderful quick fingers typed in the correct spelling and had it replace all. I clicked print and the old Epson dot matrix printer ground away page after page. Took a look at my report after I'd removed the sides and split the paper apart – all proud of my accomplishment. When I received the paperback after grading, I noticed a lot of red ink on the top of the first page. It said, "I'm quite sure you didn't mean to do this 85 times" and had a wonderful smiling face drawn after several exclamation marks. I look at the word circled in red, and my fat fingers turned public into pubic enterprise. I had written a borderline thesis about public versus your pubic enterprise. I still chuckle with Mr. Haggerty about that to this day. That was a right way to handle it. Obviously I'd made a mistake. Obviously my brain didn't catch it. Obviously I didn't intend to have a report on the pubic enterprise system. So instead of overreacting and sending me to the administration for punishment, instead of publicly humiliating me, he chose to quietly slip me the paper, chuckling as he walked away.

It's all in how you react…

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    If he had missed out Quebec, there would be a week of mourning, an apology in the HOC and promise of more money..*g*
    ...and this goes to the point of the reaction...and even the demands for a reaction. Just as the overtly and somewhat exaggerated "I love you" was bad...Canada as a whole would be upset if the reaction was as you mention for a miss of Quebec.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

@RichardS

Well what if the same gaffe above occurs in the context of NOT having a good relationship with that person or party and instead having a lifelong very estranged relationship with that person or party?

Isn't that more the situation in this instance rather than an omission of a respected person that you cite as example.

In the case of Alberta its an omission of a province that is almost always an afterthought or even dare I say adversary for Liberal party, if not the Trudeaus particularly.

I think its fair to respond that your stated comparison, and the milieu in which Trudeau again forgot about, or disregarded Alberta is not one and the same thing. Alberta is the longstanding estranged province to the Liberal party. Perhaps not too curiously the least availed, historically, to the Liberal party. so a curious "mistake" at best. I'll defer to a Freudian slip at best. Alberta being generally not even in mind if you happen to be a Liberal PM, and from Quebec.

ps Richard, the most bashful post in the entire thread is your post #58 in which you bash all sides. Or that there are sides.
    There are sides...and I freely say that was a slap to all...

You're correct, and that is why I mentioned the "western alienation" concept. That in and of itself would demand a more astute reaction to the gaffe...not some half hearted "I luvzzz youzzz".

Alberta does have some reason to be upset...being the economic engine of the country in many ways yet being disparaged at most every turn. I see this in the economic development portfolios I get into...Alberta is often forgotten as it is thought it gets enough due to oil revenue. So, when diversification initiatives appear, we get the short end of the stick. I could go on, but the point I made, and still make, is the reaction is key. Like it or not, JT...intentionally or otherwise...omitted a key province in Confederation...and as others state...if it was ON or PQ...the reaction would be huge... So, the reaction should reflect that...and ACTIONS should soon demonstrate the respect for the province...not some half hearted, clumsy apology.

A good example of Alberta is a comment I heard from Mike Meyers last night on an interview with CBC. He mentioned a story where an American friend came to see him at Second City Toronto...and a rather anti-American comedy song came up. The American friend remarked that Canadians sure think of America a lot. When asked what Americans thought of Canada...the response was, "We don't". Same here for many Canadians when it comes to Alberta and the rest of Canadian "flyover country". Again, the Liberals and supporters shouldn't be too surprised at the political spin...but I also caution others not to make too much hay out of this...and concentrate on the specific policies and actions of things that matter...

Oh, interesting.

My first experience with being an Albertan travelling this nation was in the early 90's. I'll recap quickly;

Checking into our Toronto Hotel. "Oh, you're from Alberta, we don't much like Albertans, such biased people" This actually stated. out of the blue, basically as a troll, by the hotel late night receptionist. Had we not been so fatigued after a long train trip we would have left and looked elsewhere.

Attending a food court in Ottawa; "Oh your from Alberta, we don't serve Albertans. I don't like your politics" This after being questioned on why one of us, I think the wife, had an Eskimos scarf on. Better not to wear anything identifying I guess..

Attending the televised federal election results in a meeting/TV room at our large Hotel/Slash B & B. Having the reform party results booed by everybody in the room and having everybody else hoping that the PQ would form the opposition because "Anybody is better than that filthy Alberta based reform party. Yes this was actually stated during the election results several times. I asked them to elaborate how it is possible that a separatist opposition party is better than a reform party. "Oh, because they're evil or something..."

I won't even denote all our experiences like this in Quebec City or eastern townships. To sum up you don't even want to be seen or heard there speaking English and being from Edmonton. We had individuals there that were service staff, that noted they were bilingual, that said they could speak English fluently, but refused to out of principle because in their minds we should have to speak fluent French. So that in essence they would not respond to any requests, queries, made in English. Ever.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 12:04 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/w...cid=spartanntp

Similar...twitter all a twit over Charles and Camilla...disrespectful or simply losing the contest?

With Alberta coming up from behind...

C2E SME

Here's a clip of a throat singing performance from the swearing-in ceremony for Canadian president Justin Trudeau's government in November 2015.
    Some real top notch reporting there, MSN!

Oh, interesting.

My first experience with being an Albertan travelling this nation was in the early 90's. I'll recap quickly;

Checking into our Toronto Hotel. "Oh, you're from Alberta, we don't much like Albertans, such biased people" This actually stated. out of the blue, basically as a troll, by the hotel late night receptionist. Had we not been so fatigued after a long train trip we would have left and looked elsewhere.

Attending a food court in Ottawa; "Oh your from Alberta, we don't serve Albertans. I don't like your politics" This after being questioned on why one of us, I think the wife, had an Eskimos scarf on. Better not to wear anything identifying I guess..

Attending the televised federal election results in a meeting/TV room at our large Hotel/Slash B & B. Having the reform party results booed by everybody in the room and having everybody else hoping that the PQ would form the opposition because "Anybody is better than that filthy Alberta based reform party. Yes this was actually stated during the election results several times. I asked them to elaborate how it is possible that a separatist opposition party is better than a reform party. "Oh, because they're evil or something..."

I won't even denote all our experiences like this in Quebec City or eastern townships. To sum up you don't even want to be seen or heard there speaking English and being from Edmonton. We had individuals there that were service staff, that noted they were bilingual, that said they could speak English fluently, but refused to out of principle because in their minds we should have to speak fluent French. So that in essence they would not respond to any requests, queries, made in English. Ever.
    Maybe it was your smell or something.

I have lived in Montreal for 5 years. I do not speak French and I have had not one negative experience.

^Maybe it was your smell or something.!
    Another childish response from you.

Oh, interesting.

Maybe it was your smell or something.

I have lived in Montreal for 5 years. I do not speak French and I have had not one negative experience.
    This nature of reply is not needed. Maybe my experience was subject to a time frame (I don't think so) but frankly we haven't gone back to Quebec City or the townships since and probably won't. Which is unfortunate as we like the Euro feel and the history but not the rude treatment.

Montreal? I didn't cite having as much difficulty in Montreal where the Anglophone faction there helps keep the atmosphere of that city a little more accommodating than much of the rest of he province.

But anyway, seems as if many Anglophones in Quebec, and in Montreal continue to feel unaccepted, unwanted;

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...ing-pushed-out

http://montrealgazette.com/news/queb...aser-institute

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ving-1.2549484
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-07-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Yah he probably forgot, to randomly mention provinces and territories is asking for trouble, a better approach is east to west, west to east, or alphabetical.

Imagine the response from the various media outlooks if he would have forgot Quebec though.

^Quebec would be making a statement and playing the 'separation' card round about now.

Much ado about nothing.

We need to quit wasting our time on silly little things like this, and concentrate instead on the important details. Like what kind of socks he was wearing
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Much ado about nothing.

We need to quit wasting our time on silly little things like this, and concentrate instead on the important details. Like what kind of socks he was wearing
    Yeah, even his fans are getting upset about JTs socks.

LOL!!!!

It is pretty funny how much discussion goes into something pointless like this, but there's basically nothing when he does something huge like go back on election reform. As if most people are actually pretty uninformed (myself included), and like something easy to grab onto to solidify their opinions and beliefs.

^Tater Tot did something huge?. Who knew!.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    It is pretty funny how much discussion goes into something pointless like this, but there's basically nothing when he does something huge like go back on election reform. As if most people are actually pretty uninformed (myself included), and like something easy to grab onto to solidify their opinions and beliefs.
    I've mentioned election reform several times in the thread. I've discussed his lying about that before. Anything to get elected. Until later he realizes that such electoral reform would lessen any chances of a repeating term as PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

"Anything to get elected."

That could be every parties platform.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    "Anything to get elected."

That could be every parties platform.
    heh, fair point. Hard to argue with that. Half to say that its more dubious that any Reform/Conservative alliance didn't take more strides in electoral reform. For the liberals it was just a convenient electioneering promise. For reformers it was a reason for being for that party. In more than name.

Its stated we get the politicians we deserve. In NA we don't deserve much.

I am watching the McDavid/Oilers press conference live.

In McDavid's opening statement he thanked Bob Nicholson, Peter Chiarelli, his agent, the fans and his family.

When it was time to take question from the reporters, McDavid started by apologizing for not thanking the Katz family.

I guess McDavid is a disrespecting buffoon like Justin Trudeau!

I am watching the McDavid/Oilers press conference live.

In McDavid's opening statement he thanked Bob Nicholson, Peter Chiarelli, his agent, the fans and his family.

When it was time to take question from the reporters, McDavid started by apologizing for not thanking the Katz family.

I guess McDavid is a disrespecting buffoon like Justin Trudeau!

I doubt that will go down in History like tater tot