Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wildrose and PC merger talk

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I'd like to see the governments, federal and provincial, build a building with an appropriate number of plain, studio apartments. Small kitchen, murphy bed/living room, bathroom, stacked washer/dryer. All MP/MLAs could stay there when they're in town for the legislature. If they don't want to, they're free to rent a place out of their own pocket. be a quick end to the Fildebrandts & Duffys. As soon as their business in the capital is done, off they go. No maid service while they're there. Just a small staff to clean up once they're gone. The rest of the time they're responsible for cleaning, laundry, food, etc.
    And MLA's housing expenses keep going on? We get another Alison Redford Taj Mahal? MLA's in session should stay in Hotels when they are in session, then they can apply their Hotel visits as a business expense.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I think it's a pretty good idea, actually. kkozoriz specifically mentioned that they should be be basic units, not a Redford Skypalace.

Heck, rent them out when the Leg isn't in session. Tourists can subsidize the MLA units instead of taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I'd like to see the governments, federal and provincial, build a building with an appropriate number of plain, studio apartments. Small kitchen, murphy bed/living room, bathroom, stacked washer/dryer. All MP/MLAs could stay there when they're in town for the legislature. If they don't want to, they're free to rent a place out of their own pocket. be a quick end to the Fildebrandts & Duffys. As soon as their business in the capital is done, off they go. No maid service while they're there. Just a small staff to clean up once they're gone. The rest of the time they're responsible for cleaning, laundry, food, etc.
    And MLA's housing expenses keep going on? We get another Alison Redford Taj Mahal? MLA's in session should stay in Hotels when they are in session, then they can apply their Hotel visits as a business expense.
    It is an idea worth considering. Perhaps no need to build something new, there are already some modest apartment buildings close to the legislature that might work well.

Hotels are fairly expensive on a per night basis, but given MLA's are not in Edmonton for most of the year the cost may work out to be around the same as an apartment. However, I expect not all MLA's will be around for the exact same number of days - the backbench MLA with no additional responsibilities may be in Edmonton for only the minimum number of days, a cabinet minister or a more senior member of the opposition with additional responsibilities may have to be here much longer.

They could be (partially) furnished using the surplus goods from offices
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

The other thing about Hotel's for MLA's they can get room service and even double occupancy if they have significant others. Plus it cuts out the accommodation subsidy, which could save tax payers a lt of $

The specific lodgings for MLA's is a concept that HAS been done before but whether its MP's or MLA's the incumbents find that kind of provision less than ideal. Imagine working and living in the same buildings or accommodations as some colleagues. People like to have the choice of accommodation, which is reasonable. What is not reasonable is the excessive cost and the idea that one needs to find permanent lodgings. These should invariably be rentals. Also almost any MLA commutes home for weekends and so again we're only talking 4night/week need for accommodation and then only when the govt is sitting or when the MLA's have official business situated outside their own ridings.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Which is why they'd be free to pay out of their own pocket if they want to stay someplace more upscale. If you're working in Fort Mac and you don't want to stay in one of the work camps, your employer isn't going to pay for a larger/nicer place for you.

And no, it wouldn't be in addition to the housing allowance. The allowance would go away. Stay in one of the government units or pay for your own.

The other thing about Hotel's for MLA's they can get room service and even double occupancy if they have significant others. Plus it cuts out the accommodation subsidy, which could save tax payers a lt of $
    Hotels would cost more per night and with my idea, they wouldn't need room service. The apartments would have kitchens included. No reason for the government to pay for room service if they can cook just like if they were at home.

Want to go out to eat and it's not work related? Open your wallet and pay for it yourself.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 14-08-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Which is why they'd be free to pay out of their own pocket if they want to stay someplace more upscale. If you're working in Fort Mac and you don't want to stay in one of the work camps, your employer isn't going to pay for a larger/nicer place for you.

And no, it wouldn't be in addition to the housing allowance. The allowance would go away. Stay in one of the government units or pay for your own.

Hotels would cost more per night and with my idea, they wouldn't need room service. The apartments would have kitchens included. No reason for the government to pay for room service if they can cook just like if they were at home.

Want to go out to eat and it's not work related? Open your wallet and pay for it yourself.
    Those kind of platitudes are fine excepting that public office is already not an attractive option for most people and especially in a province where essentially unskilled people have made over 100K/yr with very little responsibilities out in Fort Mc.

Lets remind ourselves that WINNING an election SHOULD have some awards to it as befits the privilege as surely in present day a lot of what unfolds in public office is toxic, unpalatable, and a job that already steers most away from it. Consider as well that politics has many individuals that lose for each individual that gets elected and all of whom have donated considerable time. So that there ought to be some rewards.

In the end, and to an extent, we get govt we pay for.

I want some form of reason in expense claims but I'm not expecting them to line up in work camp accommodation..

In anycase this should all translate to per diem. But as I stated that should be for 4 nights per week on a five day work week given that all the MLA's travel home on weekends anyhow.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

And now it's been reported that Fildebrandt was double-dipping on meal expenses as well:

Alberta Party Leader Greg Clark wants embattled UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt to explain nine instances where he appeared to expense restaurant meals on days he also claimed a daily meal allowance.

Alberta MLAs are permitted to claim meal expenses at "per diem" rates when they travel to locations 60 kilometres or more from their permanent residences. But they can't also claim the same meals under other expense provisions.

The expenses originally flagged by a Reddit user and picked up by Clark are from May, June and October 2015; February, August, and November 2016; and January, February and April 2017. All expense claims and receipts are posted on the legislative assembly website.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4246981

This was their finance critic and a member of the taxpayer's association. Brutal.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

He'll get his just desserts.

I couldn't help but make the pun.

Or he's cooked his goose and is stewing in the juices.

jk aside Fildebrandts managing of these issues has been arguably worse than the actions themselves. He's taken a position of above reproach and attempting to minimize the concerns. Pretending they don't exist or not comprehending when we know he does get it. Thus being wrong but never acknowledging it. He hasn't once accurately acknowledged the expressed concern of double dipping. He's attempted to misword it into many other things in an attempt to make the concern go away. He's only amplifying it. A few Wildrosers be dancing that this joker is out of the deck now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Those kind of platitudes are fine excepting that public office is already not an attractive option for most people and especially in a province where essentially unskilled people have made over 100K/yr with very little responsibilities out in Fort Mc.

Lets remind ourselves that WINNING an election SHOULD have some awards to it as befits the privilege as surely in present day a lot of what unfolds in public office is toxic, unpalatable, and a job that already steers most away from it. Consider as well that politics has many individuals that lose for each individual that gets elected and all of whom have donated considerable time. So that there ought to be some rewards.

In the end, and to an extent, we get govt we pay for.

I want some form of reason in expense claims but I'm not expecting them to line up in work camp accommodation..

In anycase this should all translate to per diem. But as I stated that should be for 4 nights per week on a five day work week given that all the MLA's travel home on weekends anyhow.
    I'm not saying that the accommodations should be like living in a barracks or a work camp. They'd be clean, up to date studio apartments. Their own kitchen. Washer/dryer in each unit. A double/queen bed.

Basically an extended stay hotel room with laundry. And having the government own it, it would cost less that the $150/night a hotel would cost.

Something like this:

Simple, basic and a lot cheaper that $24,000 per year for a large number of the MLAs. As has been said, they can be rented out when the leg is not sitting or they're not in town on government business.

It would put an end to expense claims for the most part. Sure, there'd still be times when they need to stay in a hotel but that's a lot less than when they're in Edmonton for the legislature. You'd also get rinf of the "per diems" for meals for the most part. They'd have kitchens so they don't have to eat out every night.

And if they're not happy, then it comes out of their pocket, not ours.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ That looks just like the sort of thing that I'd like. I live near the Legislative Grounds and am pretty sure nothing like that exists (especially as a rental) in this area. So I assume you're suggesting that it be built from scratch.

On the other hand, the place I live would cost about $13,000 per year for an unfurnished one-bedroom. Quite nice for my tastes though I would prefer en suite laundry and stand up shower.

In other words, it's easier to draft up a fictional floor plan that to actually make something like this actually save money.

He'll get his just desserts.

I couldn't help but make the pun.

Or he's cooked his goose and is stewing in the juices.

jk aside Fildebrandts managing of these issues has been arguably worse than the actions themselves. He's taken a position of above reproach and attempting to minimize the concerns. Pretending they don't exist or not comprehending when we know he does get it. Thus being wrong but never acknowledging it. He hasn't once accurately acknowledged the expressed concern of double dipping. He's attempted to misword it into many other things in an attempt to make the concern go away. He's only amplifying it. A few Wildrosers be dancing that this joker is out of the deck now.
    The worst part is Fildebrandt used to be the head of the Alberta wing for the Canadian Taxpayers association. So he used to hear all of the excuses politicians made when he attacked them over their abuse of expense accounts.

Now that he is an MLA, his excuses for milking the public does not pass the smell test. And his excuses are totally lame compared to the public officials he used to attack. He has lost all credibility.

^^ Eve, when you think of the millions just squandered by governments, a purpose-built structure would, in effect, pay for itself in the longer term. It's more that can some of these entitled brats bring themselves to live in such accommodations.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

KKO, extended stay hotels already exist. No reason to reinvent the wheel and govt bureaucracy. Just adjust the per year amount to reflect a more reasonable per diem amount. The max is just too much. This is Edmonton, not Toronto or Vancouver. An MLA needs about 6mths of lodgings if that. 23K is a huge amount. Just decrease the max to a more reasonable amount, say 15K. At approx. 100nights usage per year that works out to a still workable 150/night allowance.

Man, if there was a hotel govt owned and operated the red tape alone would result in it becoming an expensive property. There wouldn't be savings involved.

Its also unreasonable, and unhealthy, to expect politicians of all stripes to live in the same facility. That would get interesting in a hurry. Especially given present day partisan politics.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-08-2017 at 09:52 AM.

If you wanted to scratch-build MLA accommodation relatively quickly in a Alberta-sourced and environmentally friendly manner, you could build an MLA apartment/dormitory out of recycled shipping containers/sea cans, like the Westgate Suites apartment building, or the Studio 6 motel in Bruderheim. The province should work with the city to expropriate the land from the former Arlington apartments that has sat vacant since the place burnt down, drop in the sea can modules done to a decent specification, give it a nice brick facade, and give us a reborn Arlington apartments, killing many birds with one stone
    Last edited by Ustauk; 15-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And the hits keep coming: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4248562

Before the courts, innocent until proven guilty, allegedly and all that... but the picture being painted of Fildebrandt as a person is not a pretty one. There are few things I can stand less than people who damage other's property, and who don't own up to it. You have to be a completely self centered piece of garbage to pull that kind of a thing, in my opinion. As Clark said, "ethics is what you do when people aren't watching", or something to that effect. Thankfully, people have been watching Fildebrandt quite closely, and it's looking like his political career is going to get flushed down the toilet over somewhere around 4k worth AirBNB income, double claimed meal expenses, and vehicular damage. Maybe that's fitting, or just that much more ironic, given his background pinching pennies with the CTF.

KKO, extended stay hotels already exist. No reason to reinvent the wheel and govt bureaucracy. Just adjust the per year amount to reflect a more reasonable per diem amount. The max is just too much. This is Edmonton, not Toronto or Vancouver. An MLA needs about 6mths of lodgings if that. 23K is a huge amount. Just decrease the max to a more reasonable amount, say 15K. At approx. 100nights usage per year that works out to a still workable 150/night allowance.

Man, if there was a hotel govt owned and operated the red tape alone would result in it becoming an expensive property. There wouldn't be savings involved.

Its also unreasonable, and unhealthy, to expect politicians of all stripes to live in the same facility. That would get interesting in a hurry. Especially given present day partisan politics.
    Is an extended stay hotel going to guarantee that they'd have rooms available for all MLA's at all times? How convenient would it be to the legislature? When not in use, rent them out via AirBNB or whatever.

And if MLAs of different parties are unable to live next door to each other then they're quite welcome to find alternate accommodations at their expense. Besides, without the cameras on them all the time they'd have no reason to act up.

Derek Fildebrandt resigns from United Conservative Party Caucus. Will stay on as MLA for Strathmore-Brooks

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/st...61762153189376

Last edited by North Guy66; 15-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.

If Fildebrandt did not resign tonight, I am sure Nathan Cooper would of suspended him or kicked him out of caucus this week.

I wouldn't count on that.

From that well known lefty paper, the Calgary Sun

United Conservative interim leader Nathan Cooper won’t say Derek Fildebrandt did wrong

But does Cooper believe Fildebrandt did something wrong? What does he feel about the choice Fildebrandt made?

“The fact he apologized and agreed to pay the proceeds back is exactly what needed to happen,” says Cooper.

But doesn’t Cooper think it’s important to condemn Fildebrandt’s actions?

All together now. One and a two and a three …

“I think it was important for him to apologize, which he did. I think it was important to pay the money back.”

We get that. We really get that.

But does Cooper think what Fildebrandt did was wrong?

“The public have decided. I don’t think it takes me to say something on whether or not it was right or wrong.”

No, you’re only the interim leader of the party whose banner Fildebrandt carries.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/11...andt-did-wrong

^ That column from Rick Bell was written this past weekend. Cooper's comments were more harsh towards Fildebrandt after the meal-ticket scandal was reported.

Is an extended stay hotel going to guarantee that they'd have rooms available for all MLA's at all times? How convenient would it be to the legislature? When not in use, rent them out via AirBNB or whatever.

And if MLAs of different parties are unable to live next door to each other then they're quite welcome to find alternate accommodations at their expense. Besides, without the cameras on them all the time they'd have no reason to act up.
    Like was said earlier, we don't need another Alison Redford Taj Mahal

There's arguably a lot of hotel rooms available and MLA's of the same/gender party can double up saving even more.

The other option would be to have same party MLA's stay at MLA's that actually live in the city. Narrow things down even more.

Agreed

Who's talking about Taj Mahal type accommodations? I'm talking about simple studio apartments. Not even one bedroom ones.

There's arguably a lot of hotel rooms available and MLA's of the same/gender party can double up saving even more.

Now that's just creepy.

And what about the poor chalupa head who has to bunk with ol' Miranda ?

He'd have to sleep every night with a wine cork twisted into his blowhole and a pie plate over his azz.

Safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Derek Fildebrandt resigns from United Conservative Party Caucus. Will stay on as MLA for Strathmore-Brooks

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/st...61762153189376

He is a flawed man.

^ And a found-out one, too.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

His constituents are still very much behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    His constituents are still very much behind him.
    They should be careful, as being behind him can be dangerous!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4248562

Amy Rawlinson was sitting on the ground floor balcony of her downtown Edmonton condo one morning in June 2016 when she said she saw a neighbour walk out to his red Ford F-150 half-ton truck, back into her company van with a loud bang — and then drive away.
    As Rawlinson would later testify in court, she knew the neighbour from seeing him around the condo but did not know his name. She came to learn it was current United Conservative Party MLA Derek Fildebrandt.
    (Also hilarious that it appears he may have claimed expenses when he was in town for court & not legislature business. Awaiting confirmation on that though.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The guy couldn't even organize his own defense in that trial. That says as much about him as anything.

He was just trying to be fiscally conservative & stick to his rural roots by not wasting money on one of those big-city lawyer types.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And wasting court resources due to his incompetence, no less. Very fiscally conservative of him.

Pfft! If the government didn't try and go after a hardworking rural Albertan (flawed as he may be) for such an innocent mistake as backing into someone with his pickup truck & leaving because he had a meeting to get to then the government wouldn't have wasted the resources of a court case at all!

Just big government trying to get its fingers into as many pies as it can!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Now that's just creepy.

He'd have to sleep every night with a wine cork twisted into his blowhole and a pie plate over his azz.

Safety first.
    I get that you're trying to be funny, but joking that "ol' Miranda" would rape someone seems awfully homophobic...

Quote Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Now that's just creepy.

Safety first.
    I get that you're trying to be funny, but joking that "ol' Miranda" would rape someone seems awfully homophobic...
    I take it you're not familiar with Top Dawg's particular brand of "humour".

Ol' chipmunk is in the news again.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...or-hit-and-run

Top_Dawg loves it.

Three months to reach a decision on a simple hit and run.

Only confirms what everyone thinks of the system being a joke.

^ This is an older case that has been in the news before.

I don't know why everyone is vilifying this guy. He made a mistake he owned up to it. Lets move on.

Well I agree it took a long time but remember at the time there was a shortage of prosecutors in our legal/justice system that the AG was quick to get on top of.

The "system" is hardly a joke. It can't be all things to al people. Cracks in any system can happen.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    I don't know why everyone is vilifying this guy. He made a mistake he owned up to it. Lets move on.

Owned up to it? He's denying under oath that he did it. Very much a he-said/she-said situation so who knows where the truth lies.

He's denying it in his testimony after trying to settle out of court.
    Last edited by noodle; 06-09-2017 at 03:21 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

To be fair, I'm not sure if he's actually under oath in that trial or not. It's traffic court, so I doubt he's been called as a witness under oath.

Switched it out to "in his testimony" instead of "under oath".

I'm sure investigators looked into his side of the story.

Wasn't he sitting as a MLA at the time he tried to settle out of court?

Its a traffic violation for god sake, yeesh.

@ Marcel. So there you are then.

If the guy was a sitting MLA in Notley's Government how the tables would turn here. #Hindsight

As far as this whole case goes I'd say #witch hunt.

According to news reports the person whos' van he hit had an unobstructed view of him doing it and also she heard a big bang when it happened. Now I tend to believe the women whos' vehicle got hit. One thing I was wondering. If the impact caused a big bang it would appear he hit the vehicle pretty hard. As the van was damaged I was wondering if anyone looked at the truck to see how much damage it sustained or even if it had paint taken off it, or even paint on it from the van.
    I guess it might depend what part of the truck struck the van. On another note. The owner of the van will be looking at increased premiums because of this, plus repairs if Fildebrandt is found not guilty. What's with the three months to make a decision on this?. Unless the judge/traffic commissioner asked the cops to do a forensic on the truck.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They did, and decided to press charges.

It's thousands of dollars of property damage that he allegedly didn't bother to report or own up to.

If the guy was a sitting MLA in Notley's Government how the tables would turn here. #Hindsight

I don't much care which side of the aisle he or anyone else sits on. If the allegations are true, it's a very good indication that this is not someone we want in a position of power or influence in future governments. Especially in conjunction with his enriching himself at taxpayer expense in the AirBNB thing. It's pretty clear that Fildebrandt is out for himself, and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

They did, and decided to press charges.

It's thousands of dollars of property damage that he allegedly didn't bother to report or own up to.

I don't much care which side of the aisle he or anyone else sits on. If the allegations are true, it's a very good indication that this is not someone we want in a position of power or influence in future governments. Especially in conjunction with his enriching himself at taxpayer expense in the AirBNB thing. It's pretty clear that Fildebrandt is out for himself, and that's about it.
    Thanks I retract my first sentence, then.

Is there a online photo circulating around someplace to show just how much damage was caused to the vehicle?

Like you say, allegations. Before we begin to vilify this guy, lets see what comes out in trail.

@ Gemini: My c2e page on this thread wont roll over to page 5 for some reason even after refreshing the page:

According to news reports the person whos' van he hit had anunobstructed view of him doing it and also she heard a big bang when ithappened. Now I tend to believe the women whos' vehicle got hit. One thing Iwas wondering. If the impact caused a big bang it would appear he hit thevehicle pretty hard. As the van was damaged I was wondering if anyone looked atthe truck to see how much damage it sustained or even if it had paint taken offit, or even paint on it from the van.
    I guess it might depend what part of the truck struck thevan. On another note. The owner of the van will be looking at increasedpremiums because of this, plus repairs if Fildebrandt is found not guilty.What's with the three months to make a decision on this?. Unless thejudge/traffic commissioner asked the cops to do a forensic on the truck.

Was there anyone else with her to corroborate her story? If its just a one sided view? Did she have a Dash cam running, or security video surveillance of where the car that was parked to confirm her side of the story?

Both vehicles would have sustained the same damage.

I suspect it took 3 months to make a decision is because the courts had a shortage of prosecutors at the time of the incident.

Why would a lack of prosecutors make a commissioner take 3 months to render a verdict?

At the time the AG had a shortage of prosecutors, so they hired 50 more.

It takes time to go through the courts. Some cases were almost stayed because of it

Hey back page back to normal

At the time the AG had a shortage of prosecutors, so they hired 50 more.

It takes time to go through the courts. Some cases were almost stayed because of it
    You realize this happened this morning, right?

^ Um no.

I slept until noon. Diabetes has its drawbacks

@ Gemini: My c2e page on this thread wont roll over to page 5 for some reason even after refreshing the page:

According to news reports the person whos' van he hit had anunobstructed view of him doing it and also she heard a big bang when ithappened. Now I tend to believe the women whos' vehicle got hit. One thing Iwas wondering. If the impact caused a big bang it would appear he hit thevehicle pretty hard. As the van was damaged I was wondering if anyone looked atthe truck to see how much damage it sustained or even if it had paint taken offit, or even paint on it from the van.
    I guess it might depend what part of the truck struck thevan. On another note. The owner of the van will be looking at increasedpremiums because of this, plus repairs if Fildebrandt is found not guilty.What's with the three months to make a decision on this?. Unless thejudge/traffic commissioner asked the cops to do a forensic on the truck.

Was there anyone else with her to corroborate her story? If its just a one sided view? Did she have a Dash cam running, or security video surveillance of where the car that was parked to confirm her side of the story?

Both vehicles would have sustained the same damage.

I suspect it took 3 months to make a decision is because the courts had a shortage of prosecutors at the time of the incident.
    I think you are a bit discombobulated. The commissioner on the bench this morning said he will take three months to render a decision on Fildebrandt's not guilty plea. Therefore the commissioner is going to decide who he thinks is telling the truth as Fildebrandt said it was not him. On another note, Fildebrandt sold his red truck one month after the incident. The news link below is more up to date than the one previously posted.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...or-hit-and-run
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ And just when I thought I had a handle on all of this. But why take 3 months unless there is more evidence pending?

Selling the truck one month after the incident is very telling.

^The plot thickens.

^ And just when I thought I had a handle on all of this. But why take 3 months unless there is more evidence pending?

Selling the truck one month after the incident is very telling.
    Maybe he had to sell it - it was the trucks fault, BAD TRUCK !!! I think I just thought of a new title for a country song, "The truck f*ckd up"

^ "Officer, I was listening to Coast to Coast and I suspect the truck was demonically possessed!"

With Fildebrandt's shenanigans the UCP was becoming the Unruly Clown Posse. The still might end up like that come leadership time October 28th.

C2E Posting Power

MLA Rick Fraser will sit as an Independent Member
    https://twitter.com/rickfraseryyc/status/910888661566111744

the 'big tent' shrinks again
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Great debate last night! Damn I enjoyed hearing them. I guess Notley popped online, no work Rach?..lol!

^ Jason sounded the best. Still 3 more debates to go.

^ Jason sounded the best. Still 3 more debates to go.
    He really did. I look forward to the others..

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Global Coal Plant Tracker portal confirmed that coal is on a tear, with 1600 plants planned or under construction in 62 countries .From the FP.

The champion of this coal-building binge is China, which boasts 11 of the world’s 20 largest coal-plant developers, and which is building 700 of the 1600 new plants, many in foreign countries, including high-population countries such as Egypt and Pakistan that until now have burned little or no coal.

All told, the plants underway represent a phenomenal 43 per cent increase in coal-fired power capacity, making Trump’s case that China and other Third World countries are eating the West’s lunch, using climate change as a club to kneecap us with expensive power while enriching themselves.

Was listening to CHED today, Roy Green had Brian Jean on his Beauties and the Beast segment, Jean stated if he was elected leader he would hold a provincial referendum on Alberta opting out of Equalization.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Was listening to CHED today, Roy Green had Brian Jean on his Beauties and the Beast segment, Jean stated if he was elected leader he would hold a provincial referendum on Alberta opting out of Equalization.
    he could hold as many provincial referendums as he wants about "opting out" but it just doesn't work that way.

alberta as a province doesn't send any money to ottawa. ottawa only collects taxes from individual taxpayers and there is no line item there to withhold or deduct from our individual remittances that references equalization payments any more than there is a single line item that references our purchasing new fighter jets or making donations to the united nations or to bombardier...

unless brian jean wants us all to risk penalties or fines or jail time, his referendum would amount to nothing more than a waste of provincial monies.
    Last edited by kcantor; 07-10-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I heard him, and he explained how it could be done! How silent has Notley and co been? Love it!

I heard him, and he explained how it could be done! How silent has Notley and co been? Love it!
    So for those of us that missed it, how does Jean propose to actually "opt out"? There is no "opt out" in the current system. Equalization comes out of federal tax dollars, not provincial dollars and by the way most of the tax money here (except the corporate portion and whatever levies the Province makes directly) goes to the Feds first. You might have noticed your annual personal tax return (including the Provincial form and any payment if necessary) goes to the Federal tax centre in Winnipeg or Ottawa, not Edmonton, Calgary or Red Deer. The Feds then send the Provinces, including Alberta their portion.

Brian Jean was a federal MP for 10 years. He knows full well that Equalization is a federal government program paid for solely from federal revenues, and that there is nothing for Alberta to opt out of. You must have misunderstood what Jean was trying to say.

Actually the agreement expires March 31, 2019, so there are possibilities of renegotiation or opting out...
    https://lop.parl.ca/Content/LOP/Rese.../2008-20-e.htm

Actually the agreement expires March 31, 2019, so there are possibilities of renegotiation or opting out...
    https://lop.parl.ca/Content/LOP/Rese.../2008-20-e.htm
    Yes,! Yes there are...

^^From the article you linked to above:
    Equalization is financed entirely from Government of Canada general revenues. The provinces are uninvolved in the transfer except to the extent that they may qualify for Equalization payments; provincial governments do not contribute financially to the Equalization program, and each province’s ability to raise tax revenues is unaffected by the transfer. There are no conditions on the use of Equalization payments or the standards that should be achieved by the Equalization-receiving provinces. Instead, the provinces make decisions on behalf of their residents, and they are accountable to voters for the services they provide.
    Nowhere in the above document you posted is their any mention of provinces opting out. If Brian Jean meant that the Alberta government should opt out of the upcoming federal review of the equalization formula, this would be a foolish position to take.

There are certain powers the federal government has, other powers the provinces have, so there is always room for negotiation.
    https://lop.parl.ca/About/Parliament...-powers-e.html

What? We can hold a referendum and opt out of Equalization payments?

I can just here all the Alberta Frnacaphones now.

Assuming any such referendum is won of course.

What? We can hold a referendum and opt out of Equalization payments?

I can just here all the Alberta Frnacaphones now.
    And...?

An interesting article. As it was aptly put by the writer, little things that may (or not) be important later - the or not part is my addition.

It is true that Alberta hasn't collected on equalization for a very long time, roughly from the start of the oil sands. While there have been ups and downs in our economy, right now Alberta's average weekly wage and labour participation rates are still higher than most other provinces. While we may be feeling poorer relative to 2013, we are still better off than most of the rest of the country.

Of course, that does not mean things might not change in the future. Quebec is getting its economic house in order and doing fairly well economically now, unnoticed to many in the west. If the world does decide to go green faster and that badly hurts our energy industry, it is possible the unimaginable could happen - Quebec might start paying in to equalization and Alberta might need to start collecting it.

Wouldn't it be sad and ironic if that happened in say 2025 - 6 years after that referendum in 2019 some here want to have about opting out.

Be careful what you wish for and do not assume the future will always be the same as the past.

Umm the only reason why Quebec is showing a surplus is equalization payments...
    They have a surplus of $4.5 billion, and have received $10 billion in equalization, so without equalization they would have a deficit of $5.5 billion.

Quebec "surplus"
    https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin...BN19D2J6-OCABS

Equalization payments
    https://www.fin.gc.ca/fedprov/mtp-eng.asp

They have a surplus of $4.5 billion, and have received $10 billion in equalization, so without equalization they would have a deficit of $5.5 billion.

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    I don't think you can attribute the surplus to equalization, which has been relatively constant for them over a number of years and not a recent addition to their budget. Their deficit more recently became a surplus. My point is that their economic prospects are improving and if they continue to do so they may not eventually need equalization in several more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    I don't think you can attribute the surplus to equalization, which has been relatively constant for them over a number of years and not a recent addition to their budget. Their deficit more recently became a surplus. My point is that their economic prospects are improving and if they continue to do so they may not eventually need equalization in several more years.
    They have $5.00 a day daycare, the lowest university tuition, where does all their money go. It's bloody absurd! I hope there is a referendum!

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    They have $5.00 a day daycare, the lowest university tuition, where does all their money go. It's bloody absurd! I hope there is a referendum!
    Affordable child care and university for people - yeah what crazy ideas. We don't want poor people being able to work or go to school to better themselves, do we? Only the well off should be able to do that.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    Affordable child care and university for people - yeah what crazy ideas. We don't want poor people being able to work or go to school to better themselves, do we? Only the well off should be able to do that.
    if your conclusion is "only the well off should be able to do that", then you have it backwards even if you are expressing it sarcastically or with irony.

if everyone had "affordable child care and university for people", this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

child care and university for individuals both rich and poor are prohibitively more expensive in alberta than they are in quebec. that situation wouldn't be the case without equalization payments enabling it and quebec taking advantage of that.

could alberta subsidize child care and university to the same extent or should the federal government make those subsidies nationally uniform? one could certainly make a case for that but the fact remains that the mechanics of how that takes place within quebec now in terms of those who are paying for those subsidies that are not available to them or their own children is what fosters anger and resentment elsewhere.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    if your conclusion is "only the well off should be able to do that", then you have it backwards even if you are expressing it sarcastically or with irony.

if everyone had "affordable child care and university for people", this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

child care and university for individuals both rich and poor are prohibitively more expensive in alberta than they are in quebec. that situation wouldn't be the case without equalization payments enabling it and quebec taking advantage of that.

could alberta subsidize child care and university to the same extent or should the federal government make those subsidies nationally uniform? one could certainly make a case for that but the fact remains that the mechanics of how that takes place within quebec now in terms of those who are paying for those subsidies that are not available to them or their own children is what fosters anger and resentment elsewhere.
    Just in case it wasn't clear, yes that comment was entirely sarcastic. I don't think it is a crazy idea at all, nor only for the well off.

Of course, Quebec has much higher personal income tax rates than Alberta and its version of the GST with a provincial component that is quite high too. I think it is that, rather than equalization, which funds those particular programs. If Alberta wanted to have such much more generous programs, then that is probably how we would have to do it too.

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    Any referendum would only happen if Brian Jean were elected UPC leader and if the UPC won a majority. Unfortunately, Notley (and this is just my opinion) still has another term but its going to be a minority.

Quebec "surplus"

Equalization payments
    Any referendum would only happen if Brian Jean were elected UPC leader and if the UPC won a majority. Unfortunately, Notley (and this is just my opinion) still has another term but its going to be a minority.
    Brian Jean will lead the UPC, Notley will not get in again, turnout will be great!

There is talk about equalization reform:

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/colb...ling-albertans

C2E SME

I wonder if Alberta introduced a sales tax, if the equalization differential would be less.

I doubt it. If anything it might raise our credit rating up a bit.

I was always against a sales tax, now in light of our provincial deficit, a sunset clause sales tax might be a good idea.

Brian Jean will lead the UPC, Notley will not get in again, turnout will be great!
    Vote is now and throughout the weekend. Interesting to see what happens. I just hope Kenney doesn't win. I dislike opportunists who parachute in whenever they think they can win. And he just rubs me as a slime ball. Jean wins and we get wild rose lite - likely leading to a minority govt or official opposition next election. Schweitzer wins and we get PC 2.0 and maybe a minority or majority govt. he is much more palatable to the centrists. He's a long shot, but with the way the voting works, it's not impossible, or unheard of. Jean seems fairly respectable, well spoken and likeable even if his policies are not.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Vote is now and throughout the weekend. Interesting to see what happens. I just hope Kenney doesn't win. I dislike opportunists who parachute in whenever they think they can win. And he just rubs me as a slime ball. Jean wins and we get wild rose lite - likely leading to a minority govt or official opposition next election. Schweitzer wins and we get PC 2.0 and maybe a minority or majority govt. he is much more palatable to the centrists. He's a long shot, but with the way the voting works, it's not impossible, or unheard of. Jean seems fairly respectable, well spoken and likeable even if his policies are not.
    For me, any of the three are far better than Notley, who I can't stand!

^ That and it was (on the news?) that JK doesn't have any policies. Brian Jean is my favorite going forward. If I was a UPC member, I'd vote Brian but UPC has a lot of work ahead of them yet and Notley another term. A term as official opposition to Notley would do him and the party good.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    While I think Kenney will win, it could be close. I don't like him much either, but I think he may be better at getting out his supporters. I am not sure if Schweitzer will get much support, but given the friction between Jean and Kenney he could end up being second choice for a lot Jean's and some of Kenney's supporters. I don't exactly how the voting process goes, but I am thinking Schweitzer would have to drop off the ballot before he could take advantage of that as he is unlikely to come in second on the first ballot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Kenney's an incredibly effective politician. And a total scum bag, in my view. I'm hoping he doesn't win, but unfortunately that's probably wishful thinking.

^ That and it was (on the news?) that JK doesn't have any policies. Brian Jean is my favorite going forward. If I was a UPC member, I'd vote Brian but UPC has a lot of work ahead of them yet and Notley another term. A term as official opposition to Notley would do him and the party good.
    JK does have policies, we heard him speak, and it was nothing but policy. I like him.

Schweitzer is more effective in person, at least that's what we found

Kenney comes across as arrogant. If he wins it will go to his head and we will have the male equivalent of Alison Redford on our hands. Some dude that thinks he walks on water and is entitled to us bowing down before him. I'm sure his government expense account will be maxed to the hilt as he will take advantage of every freebie that comes his way.
    Brian Jean seems to chafe less, more laid back, less aggressive. He seems more in touch with the average person. Rather see him in charge than Kenney.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Kenney comes across as arrogant. If he wins it will go to his head and we will have the male equivalent of Alison Redford on our hands. Some dude that thinks he walks on water and is entitled to us bowing down before him. I'm sure his government expense account will be maxed to the hilt as he will take advantage of every freebie that comes his way.
    Brian Jean seems to chafe less, more laid back, less aggressive. He seems more in touch with the average person. Rather see him in charge than Kenney.
    Hmm, Jean seems very green on a lot of subjects, although he's better than Notley and co .

^Notley seems like a real nice person to me. I may not agree with her politics but I think she would be a pretty nice person to sit and have dinner with. Redford for some reason thought the sun shone out of her rear and if she went out for dinner with you she would probably leave and stiff everyone else with the bill. She had delusions of grandeur.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Notley seems like a real nice person to me. I may not agree with her politics but I think she would be a pretty nice person to sit and have dinner with. Redford for some reason thought the sun shone out of her rear and if she went out for dinner with you she would probably leave and stiff everyone else with the bill. She had delusions of grandeur.
    I loathed Redford, Red Tory that she was. Jason bleeds blue. As for Notley, I can't stand the fact that JT says jump, she says how high. Ugh!

C2E SME

Jason Kenney will bring his dog-whistle politics to the Legislature. We don't need negative politicians like him.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast