Thread: WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier

C2E Continued Contributor

Default WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier

Service is expected to start in late 2017 with an initial fleet of 10 high-density Boeing 737-800s designed by the airline that first brought low-cost air travel to Canada in 1996. The ULCC will provide Canadians with no-frills, lower-cost travel options.
    http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1227

I'm sure routes from Edmonton to places like Hamilton, Abbotsford and Comox will be shifted to this carrier.

Well. Just what everyone wants. Mooooo

I hear that cattle have been demanding higher density cattle cars too.

So the rumor is that international (US/sun destinations) will be first.

I can understand why as I was shopping for flights to LAS and going via Seattle saved $1,000 for two people vs. Westjet!
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

When WJ was still quite small,AC pulled a similar idea by putting not 1 but 3 discount carriers together. Tango,Zipp and Jazz. All to punt WJ out of business. They failed...miserably. Fast forward and we have now Newleaf and soon to fly Jetlines and WJ is starting a discount carrier. How very AC of them..........
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Who wants to guess which cities will be WestJet's ULCC hub? I think Edmonton and Ottawa are good options...
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...base-1.4237989

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Edmonton should be working hard to be the western base for Westjet's ULCC. No guarantees it sticks around but regardless these opportunities don't come around very often. Flair isn't using YEG as a hub. Jetlines doesn't have plans to use YEG as a HUB. After that what's left? Maybe Porter if they take delivery of their C-Series and expand west?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    Edmonton should be working hard to be the western base for Westjet's ULCC. No guarantees it sticks around but regardless these opportunities don't come around very often. Flair isn't using YEG as a hub. Jetlines doesn't have plans to use YEG as a HUB. After that what's left? Maybe Porter if they take delivery of their C-Series and expand west?
    Porter's C-series order was contingent on expanding the main runway at Billy Bishop (Island) airport. That was a long shot at best and since quashed by the federal Liberal govt.

So, much as I'd love to see this happen - no way Porter sets up in the west with no way to connect to it's main hub at Billy Bishop.

*Confound the conspiracy!!* Okay, the bad luck.
    ... gobsmacked

Last edited by Glenco; 27-09-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added link
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Wtf with the name? Sounds like a name a bunch of dudes came up with over beers at Hooter’s. I guess they are trying so hard to be low cost they cut corners by not using a marketing team. It’s really goofy.

They should have named it Swoosh and sold advertising rights to Nike.

figuring this was focus group tested to death, wonder what demo got invited to the sessions?
    ... gobsmacked

Way better than Splat!
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...