Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs - non Oilers

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Default 2017 NHL Playoffs - non Oilers

The other great news is the Flamers are likely burnt toast. Not getting stupid luck this playoffs and down 2-0 in the series before it even hits Calgary. lol if they lose game 3. Going to be so much angst in Calgary. I might have to take a trip out there with Oilers gear on. I'm like that...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Oh my, sportsnet. Poor old Dougie lol - "not the most intelligent guy". I'll take Larson over him anyday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lton-1.4072524

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The godless Flames are now 1 game away from elimination
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

They gave up a 4-1 lead at home!! What a way to lose game 3!!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Everybody sing along now - Red red whine.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I watched the last half of Flame game. Talk about an unraveling...
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Should be mentioned the Ducks managed to win this game without Fowler, Vatanen, and with another D also playing injured. The Ducks were basically running a close to AHL caliber D lineup due to injuries. The only reason they were ever behind in the first place.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Watched most of the game, Calgary collapsed nor imploded, albeit with a few bad bounces and couple iffy calls. Ouch.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This am was hilarious on Global news. Apparently the Calgary Global station had technical issues and were watching Edmontons Global news telecast. The anchor, Shaye Ganam, starts the broadcast stating; "This could be a little awkward considering our weather guy is wearing his Oilers Jersey, The flames lost last night and are down 3-0 in the series and the Oilers are winning theirs.."

lol at grinding Calgary in the Am telecast. The comic delivery was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Watched most of the game, Calgary collapsed nor imploded, albeit with a few bad bounces and couple iffy calls. Ouch.
    After 10 years of living with what was arguably the worst NHL franchise ever I remember very clearly coming up with reasons to justify blowing 4 goal leads before I stopped caring altogether. I understand how Flames fan feels today although they haven't scratched the surface of the pain we've felt here

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This am was hilarious on Global news. Apparently the Calgary Global station had technical issues and were watching Edmontons Global news telecast. The anchor, Shaye Ganam, starts the broadcast stating; "This could be a little awkward considering our weather guy is wearing his Oilers Jersey, The flames lost last night and are down 3-0 in the series and the Oilers are winning theirs.."

This could've happened on any other day and nobody would've cared. Timing is everything in life lol

The flames choke quite often., they did last night.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great to see, hard to complain about the refs when you are given five PP's with the Ducks getting zero.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post

This could've happened on any other day and nobody would've cared. Timing is everything in life lol
    Even funnier is I went to bed after the Flames were up 4-1. I hadn't even realized they managed to blow that lead at home playing a Ducks club with 3 starting D injured. So it was better than comic timing, it was simultaneously unexpected great news.

I would like to see the Flames win some games and stretch this series out. I quit watching after they were up and thought it was a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I would like to see the Flames win some games and stretch this series out. I quit watching after they were up and thought it was a done deal.
    I too would like to see this stretch out, and even have Calgary win. The only thing sweeter than the Flames getting knocked out of the playoffs, is having the Oilers personally do it.
    And let's be honest, the entire league is drooling over the potential of a battle of alberta.

So Calgary would have to win the next 4 games? I really don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    So Calgary would have to win the next 4 games? I really don't see that happening.
    I agree. It was just a wish.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I have always cheered for the Oilers and whoever plays against the Flames, and that stance has never ceased. I don't give two effs if there's a Battle of Alberta or not.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yep, the ol' ABC.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I have always cheered for the Oilers and whoever plays against the Flames, and that stance has never ceased. I don't give two effs if there's a Battle of Alberta or not.

Same here..

I always enjoy watching the Flames flop. I only ever cheer for them if it helps the Oilers in a critical situation (like a Calgary win will clinch the Oilers a playoff spot or something).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hoping for a little of this tonight.....

3-1 Ducks.

Calgary swept.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Well that happened!

Would have been nice if the Flames could have dragged that out for a game or two.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Well that happened!
    Hoping for a little Oil win tonight.....

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The other great news is the Flamers are likely burnt toast. Not getting stupid luck this playoffs and down 2-0 in the series before it even hits Calgary. lol if they lose game 3. Going to be so much angst in Calgary. I might have to take a trip out there with Oilers gear on. I'm like that...
    Please, please do. I see this smugness all over Edmonton with their fans. We are obligated to return the favour.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I saw this and had to share, this duck is ducking awesome.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Think BIGGER View Post
    Please, please do. I see this smugness all over Edmonton with their fans. We are obligated to return the favour.
    I'll also be swinging a replication of Harvey the Hounds tongue in the air ala McTavish. Really one of McT's better moments as a coach in addition to 2006 run. Or alternately I'll grab a tossed on the street bandwagon Flames jersey and start shredding it. Older fans will get that.

Chicago swept by Nashville. Many poolies sad.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Oilers alumnus Magnus Pajaarvi scores in OT to put the Wild out.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Yakupov hasn't even played a playoff game yet, has he?

C2E SME

Canadiens are out.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Who is still in? Ottawa, Toronto and US! ?

After this round there will be eight teams left. Edmonton, Anaheim, St. Louis, Nashville, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Washington or Toronto, and Ottawa or Boston.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Ottawa just advanced, winning Game 6 vs Bruins. They play NYR in 2nd round.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Maple Laffs eliminated by Caps.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Fantastic first round, Oil win and the Habs, Laffs, and fLames lose!!!

We watched the leafs, they weren't going to win the last two games..

Default With Nashville Predators, P.K. Subban gets the team he never had in Montreal

Subban is in total beast mode for Nashville.

I think when the Oilers beat Anaheim, Nashville might be a bridge too far. Will still be an absolutely amazing season (already is), but heck, Nashville look a great team at the moment.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...ad-in-montreal

Subban has five points in five games during the playoffs. With the exception of Alexander Radulov, that’s more than anyone on Montreal’s roster scored in six games. Max Pacioretty didn’t even equal Subban’s goal total (1).

Montreal certainly could have used that offence in the lineup when the team managed only 11 goals in six games against the Rangers. But one again, the narrative shouldn’t be about whether the Canadiens are worse off without Subban.

Rather, it should be that Subban is better off without the Canadiens.

Nashville is the team that Subban never had in Montreal. Like the Habs, the Predators also have an all-world goalie. But unlike the Habs, the goaltender is just one piece of the puzzle.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-04-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Well Top_Dawg is off to O2's to get a good seat for the game.

GO PENS !!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

There's no playoff fever in Ottawa, only 'Sens Malaise'
    http://www.tsn.ca/there-s-no-playoff...laise-1.737420

Its a shame they made it..I guess if Trudeau showed up at a game , nah..

Oh well, hockey is alive and well here...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its a shame they made it..I guess if Trudeau showed up at a game , nah..

Oh well, hockey is alive and well here...
    Curiously Ottawa Soccer fans are always saying how poor the support is for FC Edmonton. Yet they can't even sell out for the senators in the playoffs. Tickets don't cost much in Ottawa either.

It's hard for a Senators fan to get excited when they have to drive a long way to get to the arena.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Hope this isn't a career-ender for Crosby
    http://www.tsn.ca/crosby-leaves-game...check-1.740085

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Disgusting play all round by the Caps. Gameplan in game 3. Can't beat the Pens so just take out Sidney Crosby, do it early in the game. For those that haven't seen it Crosby in on a two on one give and go, nearly scores, Ovechkin, in a rare moment of back checking slewfoots Crosbys left leg (I thought he was trying to take out Crosbys knee), and then Crosby is falling, out of control, and get belted with a crosscheck in the face by Niskanen. Instant apparent concussion. Niskanen got a 5minute penalty and game misconduct. Dirty Caps won the game in OT.

What a disgusting play.

Other than McDavid this is the face of the NHL getting injured, again, and with a vicious headshot, again. When is the NHL going to do something, actually do something about this stuff. Would've liked to have seen OV and Niskanen get penalties on the play and both thrown out.

This series is going to get real ugly now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Do you honestly think that Niskanen intended to do what he did? It was an unfortunate play, with little intent on Niskanen's part to do anything but make a hockey play. He went to hit Crosby, and as he did he got tangled up with Ovie and was falling towards Niskanen, who had already initiated a hit with a bit of stick in the arm, which is perfectly normal in front of the net in the playoffs. Unfortunately, in the split second between initiating the hit and making contact, Crosby had started to fall.

Virtually no one in their right mind is claiming that the play was intentional on Niskanen's part: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mclennan...ry-hit~1113134

Default The NHL got the Crosby-Niskanen incident right, and that should be the end of it

^I agree - it should have been a penalty, but the outcome was very random, this isn't a case of someone trying to take someone out as claimed two posts above, its just an attempt to stop a goal (by Ovechkin) that went awry and lead to the collision. Niskanen is not going to face disciplinary action - which is the correct call by the NHL. Obviously the Penguins players (kunitz) are trying to make it into something more, which is normal in a playoff series. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby back in the next game, I think it looked worse than it was (may be wrong, but we will see).

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/gallery...pension-050217

Up for debate is the intent behind the play. On replay and in slow motion, Niskanen’s check looks brutal. He sees Crosby coming and lays the shaft of his stick right to the side of Crosby’s face. It was an irresponsible and illegal play, there’s no doubt about that.

In real time, though, it looks more reactionary than anything. After taking a high stick and skate-on-skate collision from Alex Ovechkin (which went unpenalized) while driving to the net, Crosby was knocked off balance and was falling towards Niskanen when the cross check happened. It looked like Niskanen may have just reflexively braced for impact.

That’s the way the defenseman told it after the game.

“I wasn’t even trying to cross-check him with a serious amount of force,” Niskanen told reporters. “A collision was gonna happen there in the crease. When the play first starts I think my stick’s at about his arm level probably, right away where the numbers are on the side of his jersey.”
    Last edited by moahunter; 02-05-2017 at 10:26 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I mean, even the statement that Ovechkin was trying to slew foot Crosby is ridiculous. Watch the replay. As Ovie travels the entire distance between the top of the slot and the crease where he makes contact with Crosby, he doesn't change either of his feet or legs' position whatsoever, while Crosby moves laterally to the front of the net, at which point they collide. Apparently Ovie is so good at being dirty, he psychically knew exactly where his right leg would need to be in order to take out Crosby's left leg, several seconds ahead of time and adjusted his angle and body position accordingly. He's an evil genius, that Ovie!

I think the penalty should have been on Ovechkin. It was a slew foot on his follow through with his left leg. While not a blatant swinging motion, he still followed through with his foot and knocked Crosby's left leg out from underneath him, which falls under the definition of a slew foot. You don't have to make a swinging motion in order for it to be a slew foot as many people seem to think. Whether it was intentional or not is another conversation, but a slew foot isn't called the same as a trip whether it was intentional or not as it falls under a different rule and doesn't have the same note about incidental/accidental contact that a trip does. I don't think Nisky intentionally meant to do anything. It is easy to say that he did when looking at a replay, but watch it in full speed and it doesn't look like there was intent. Ovie on the other hand had control of himself the entire play and you can tell he followed through with his leg more than he needed to. If Holtby didn't poke check, you could have made a pretty good argument for a penalty shot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree that you don't have to swing your foot for it to be a slew foot, but that was absolutely not a slew foot. That was a player coming back fast on a back check coasting with a wide stance after taking some strides, with the anticipation of making physical contact. Nothing more. Again, watch the replay. Ovie hardly changes his angle from the top of the circles in to the crease. He's heading back to intercept the puck and/or player at his own net. Guys legs get tangled up all the time in that situation, and that doesn't make it a slew foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I agree that you don't have to swing your foot for it to be a slew foot, but that was absolutely not a slew foot. That was a player coming back fast on a back check coasting with a wide stance after taking some strides, with the anticipation of making physical contact. Nothing more. Again, watch the replay. Ovie hardly changes his angle from the top of the circles in to the crease. He's heading back to intercept the puck and/or player at his own net. Guys legs get tangled up all the time in that situation, and that doesn't make it a slew foot.
    I disagree. This angle clearly slows Ovie's foot make hard contact with Crosby's foot, intentional or not. https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/st...93631755862017

Slew footing doesn't have to be intentional. It is incidental in this case, but it still happened. The rule includes knocking a player's foot or feet out from underneath them, not just kicking, and that is what happens here. You can tell at the point of contact that Crosby's foot extends further forward, so there was some force behind it. It isn't a tangle at all, it is a follow by Ovie through to Crosby's foot, which is what makes it a slew foot, in my opinion. I feel as it was a grey play though, kind of like the offside ruling in the last Edmonton game, so whatever call was made, would **** off people on either side of the argument.

I would have called it a 2 minute, and if it was confirmed that his leg was what was injured on the ice, it would have been a 5 minute major. Obviously, the Nisky hit after the fact changes things as to what the exact injury is.
    Last edited by Moodib; 02-05-2017 at 11:06 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Do you honestly think that Niskanen intended to do what he did? It was an unfortunate play, with little intent on Niskanen's part to do anything but make a hockey play. He went to hit Crosby, and as he did he got tangled up with Ovie and was falling towards Niskanen, who had already initiated a hit with a bit of stick in the arm, which is perfectly normal in front of the net in the playoffs. Unfortunately, in the split second between initiating the hit and making contact, Crosby had started to fall.

Virtually no one in their right mind is claiming that the play was intentional on Niskanen's part: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mclennan...ry-hit~1113134
    Wait, someone doesn't intend to deliver a cross check? Why was he cross checking then. A hockey play is now having two hands on stick, stick raised, to cross check. A cross check is not an allowable hockey player period. That he injured the face of the NHL and hit him right in the face is worse still. Should be out for the remainder of the playoffs slamdunk.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I mean, even the statement that Ovechkin was trying to slew foot Crosby is ridiculous. Watch the replay. As Ovie travels the entire distance between the top of the slot and the crease where he makes contact with Crosby, he doesn't change either of his feet or legs' position whatsoever, while Crosby moves laterally to the front of the net, at which point they collide. Apparently Ovie is so good at being dirty, he psychically knew exactly where his right leg would need to be in order to take out Crosby's left leg, several seconds ahead of time and adjusted his angle and body position accordingly. He's an evil genius, that Ovie!
    Get stuffed. Every comment you don't agree with is "anybody in their right mind wouldn't say that" or "ridiculous"

What a way to engage conversation with others.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That was absolutely a slew food and engaging what you typically say, anybody in their right mind would think that's absolutely a slew foot..

If you've watched OV before, ever, he rarely backchecks. its off the charts for him to backcheck at that speed. He saw an opportunity to punk Crosby with a slewfoot and did. He's intelligent enough to make it look incidental.

Intent or not its a slewfoot. CLEARLY.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-05-2017 at 02:05 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It really isn't, hence why basically no "hockey people" outside of a couple Pittsburgh columnists are talking about it. People like Ferraro are rightly raising concern with Ovie's two handed slash, not the incidental tangle of feet or the accidental contact when Crosby fell in to Niskanen.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Get stuffed. Every comment you don't agree with is "anybody in their right mind wouldn't say that" or "ridiculous"

That's because I leave 98% of your incredibly voluminous and banal commentary to itself. So when I do pick something of yours to respond to, it tends to be pretty ludicrous and needs pointing out. I mean even here it takes you three separate posts to squeeze out half a dozen sentences.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It really isn't, hence why basically no "hockey people" outside of a couple Pittsburgh columnists are talking about it. People like Ferraro are rightly raising concern with Ovie's two handed slash, not the incidental tangle of feet or the accidental contact when Crosby fell in to Niskanen.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement

That's because I leave 98% of your incredibly voluminous and banal commentary to itself. So when I do pick something of yours to respond to, it tends to be pretty ludicrous and needs pointing out. I mean even here it takes you three separate posts to squeeze out half a dozen sentences.
    The play was a slewfoot. as another poster raised, and you refuse to acknowledge, intent is not required, its the action that merits a penalty. Nor do you agree apparently that NISKANEN got a 5 minute and automatic game misconduct.

The conduct of he Caps on this play is laughable. A slewfoot, a slash, and a crosscheck two an injured player within 2 secs. With that player just happening to be the legendary Sidney Crosby. The NHL is in damage mode after this. The sequence was a complete joke.

My suggestion is to ignore my posts, which would be fine by me, and stop being a jackass in response to them.

You're a real strange dude. Its like on a dime you decide to get entirely dismissive in your comments. You've trained me to believe that discussion with you ranges from OK to absolutely rude. I was responding in kind, I may as well.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Again, it wasn't a slew foot (Hockey Canada definition): http://cloud.rampinteractive.com/hoc...lew%20foot.pdf

There was no kicking or leg dragging motion. For the fifth time, Ovie was coasting back to his crease with his legs in a wide stance preparing for physical contact, and did not alter that stance for a solid 2-3 seconds and/or 20-30 feet before he made incidental contact with Crosby. It was incidental contact resulting from two players going to the same area of the ice at the same time. Not a slew foot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Again, it wasn't a slew foot: http://cloud.rampinteractive.com/hoc...lew%20foot.pdf

There was no kicking or leg dragging motion. For the fifth time, Ovie was coasting back to his crease with his legs in a wide stance preparing for physical contact, and did not alter that stance for a solid 2-3 seconds and/or 20-30 feet before he made incidental contact with Crosby. It was incidental contact resulting from two players going to the same area of the ice at the same time. Not a slew foot.
    He slew footed Crosby, nearly took his knee out. His leg motion looks like it hyperextended Crosby's knee on the play. For the 6th time, get it through your thick skull. Using your typical invocation. .

being that we're in your initiated rude mode.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, Ovie did not slew foot Crosby. And outside of a few Pittsburgh sports journalists, you will be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable hockey writer, journalist, commentator etc saying otherwise. Go to TSN and listen to radio clips from every AM sports radio show in the country. All of them are saying the same thing: Ovie's slash was probably the worst thing in the whole debacle (and the NHL needs to reconsider how the standard of officiating for stick work like that relaxes in the playoffs), otherwise it was a play happening at speed with a really unfortunate result, but there was no intentional plan to take out Crosby on the play.

Gregor addressed it as well: https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/02/...line-the-same/

The end result for Sidney Crosby and the NHL, because it is better when the best players play, sucks. He is out with a concussion, but watching the play numerous times — in real time, not slow motion — I don’t understand how anyone can believe the Capitals purposely targeted his head. Alex Ovechkin’s slash was a non-issue. The reason Crosby lost his balance was due to him and Ovechkin clipping skates. No chance Ovechkin is capable of doing that purposely at full speed.

*snip

To think Ovechkin would even try it at full speed, nevermind successfully complete it, is a ridiculous notion. The game happens so fast a player doesn’t have time to try and notice where Crosby’s feet are, and then clip the skates on purpose. I understand Penguins fans being upset. They are supposed to be fanatical, and Oilersnation would be seething if McDavid was injured, even on an accidental clip, but suggesting Washington’s team meeting was to purposely injure Crosby is simply trolling.
    Again, Ovie doesn't even move his feet, change their position, or take a stride for the last 30 feet between his last stride and colliding with Crosby. In that time, Crosby makes several strides/crossovers and changes his angle to go to the front of the net instead of the side. Yet somehow Ovie predicted all that movement so well that he STILL didn't need to adjust his foot positioning to cleverly and surreptitiously take out Crosby's leg.

Give me a break.

*edit* Actually, in re-watching it again, Crosby makes a 90 degree pivot from facing to the side boards to facing the net as he tries to receive the pass and get a shot off, immediately before Ovie and him clip legs. Apparently Ovie managed to predict that pivot, as well, when he was crossing the top of the circles on the back check. Damn he's good. I mean evil.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 02-05-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Good observations Marcel. Crosby had to swing his leg back to Ovechkin's for the legs to collide. Ovechkin should have got a high sticking penalty.

Fortunately the Capitals got the overtime winner after it was clear that the Penguins should have had two penalties in the last minutes of the game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, Ovie did not slew foot Crosby. And outside of a few Pittsburgh sports journalists, you will be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable hockey writer, journalist, commentator etc saying otherwise. Go to TSN and listen to radio clips from every AM sports radio show in the country. All of them are saying the same thing: Ovie's slash was probably the worst thing in the whole debacle (and the NHL needs to reconsider how the standard of officiating for stick work like that relaxes in the playoffs), otherwise it was a play happening at speed with a really unfortunate result, but there was no intentional plan to take out Crosby on the play.

Gregor addressed it as well: https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/02/...line-the-same/

The end result for Sidney Crosby and the NHL, because it is better when the best players play, sucks. He is out with a concussion, but watching the play numerous times — in real time, not slow motion — I don’t understand how anyone can believe the Capitals purposely targeted his head. Alex Ovechkin’s slash was a non-issue. The reason Crosby lost his balance was due to him and Ovechkin clipping skates. No chance Ovechkin is capable of doing that purposely at full speed.

*snip

To think Ovechkin would even try it at full speed, nevermind successfully complete it, is a ridiculous notion. The game happens so fast a player doesn’t have time to try and notice where Crosby’s feet are, and then clip the skates on purpose. I understand Penguins fans being upset. They are supposed to be fanatical, and Oilersnation would be seething if McDavid was injured, even on an accidental clip, but suggesting Washington’s team meeting was to purposely injure Crosby is simply trolling.
    Again, Ovie doesn't even move his feet, change their position, or take a stride for the last 30 feet between his last stride and colliding with Crosby. In that time, Crosby makes several strides/crossovers and changes his angle to go to the front of the net instead of the side. Yet somehow Ovie predicted all that movement so well that he STILL didn't need to adjust his foot positioning to cleverly and surreptitiously take out Crosby's leg.

Give me a break.

*edit* Actually, in re-watching it again, Crosby makes a 90 degree pivot from facing to the side boards to facing the net, immediately before Ovie and him clip legs. Apparently Ovie managed to predict that pivot, as well, when he was crossing the top of the circles on the back check. Damn he's good. I mean evil.
    As a former player the most gutless thing is somebody that attacks a player from behind like that. You might think that's a hockey play. That was a dirty filthy slewfoot, from behind, which Crosby can't be aware of, and with the highsticking to boot. OV has slew footed players before as well. If I'm the Pens I'm incensed at the whole sequence. How the Pens didn't at least have a two man advantage out of this sequence is incredible. 3 infractions in 2 secs on the star player in the league. One reason why NHL isn't in league with other Major Pro leagues.

Given your penchant though for attacking posts out of the blue I can see where you find no fault with OV's filthy gutless behind the back play. Or Niskanen who at least was facing Crosby. The whole sequence doesn't occur without OV's filthy play and I've NEVER seen OV backcheck like that except, hey, it was Crosby who he can't beat so he takes him out. There was no valid play OV could make there, just take Crosby out from behind.

Put it this way, if OV checks Crosby like that and Niskanen isn't back, its considered a penalty shot. OV had no way to validly stop Crosby there so he takes out his leg. That's what happened.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.

You must be making these over the top statements just to get a rise out of people.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Are we even watching the same play? A quarter of a second before Ovie and Crosby tangle up their skates, Crosby is facing "east" while Ovie is facing "south". That's not "from behind" (and as a former player, you should know that nothing in front of the opposite net is considered "from behind". If you're in front of the other team's net, be prepared for contact from any direction). Crosby rotated as he received the pass, and at that point his back was facing Ovie. That's not Ovie's fault. And again, given how Crosby makes that rotation about a quarter of a second before Ovie makes contact, I fail to see how it's Ovie's fault they got tangled up. Had Crosby not rotated his feet as he received the pass and kept his feet facing east, Ovie would have sailed on by after his big slash without their feet touching.

Of 23 NHL GM's and coaches asked by LeBrun, only 7 felt that Niskanen should have been given a suspension (6 of those said a single game): http://www.tsn.ca/video/lebrun-revea...by-hit~1113849

No one is talking about Ovie's supposed dastardly slew foot except for Replacement.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 02-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You must be making these over the top statements just to get a rise out of people.
    On something as innocuous, as the Washington Capitals which should matter how on an Oilers board? How on earth could that be getting a rise out of people? Maybe next I should post here on the price of milk in Botswana, sure to get a rise out of people..

How about we call it out. ANYBODY that disagrees with ANYTHING I state on this board and pavlovs bell is ringing for you. I mean that's your content in this thread. That's your intent. Right?

Look Sidney Crosby has been captain Canada and a leader of team Canada in World Tournaments, world Cups, Olympics and is a player most people love. he got attacked in the game, is now out for the playoffs, and that is going to evoke some emotion amongst Canadians. OV? I could give a flying **** about except for him being a weasel on the play slew footing and slashing Crosby in the head from behind.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-05-2017 at 06:54 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Are we even watching the same play? A quarter of a second before Ovie and Crosby tangle up their skates, Crosby is facing "east" while Ovie is facing "south". That's not "from behind" (and as a former player, you should know that nothing in front of the opposite net is considered "from behind". If you're in front of the other team's net, be prepared for contact from any direction). Crosby rotated as he received the pass, and at that point his back was facing Ovie. That's not Ovie's fault. And again, given how Crosby makes that rotation about a quarter of a second before Ovie makes contact, I fail to see how it's Ovie's fault they got tangled up. Had Crosby not rotated his feet as he received the pass and kept his feet facing east, Ovie would have sailed on by after his big slash without their feet touching.

Of 23 NHL GM's and coaches asked by LeBrun, only 7 felt that Niskanen should have been given a suspension (6 of those said a single game): http://www.tsn.ca/video/lebrun-revea...by-hit~1113849

No one is talking about Ovie's supposed dastardly slew foot except for Replacement.
    Nobody else is correcting the internet as much as you.

Question. Why is this important to you? As I just mentioned its an innocuous topic. I was venting some spleen because I love Crosby as a player, what he's been for Canada, and it sucks like hell for the league, for the NHL that he's out again. So I made an emotive post regarding an emotive topic, sports, that should really not matter enough to you, or anybody else to call out my comment. Hey, on another topic, a topic of any significance, Edmonton meaning, connection, by all means debate it, correct it. Its surreal to me that people exist that would blindside somebody out of the blue on such an OT post. That has no relevance whatsoever.

But it was so important to you had to suggest things about me in two different posts before I had even responded. That's a blindside, and its about you, your style. Whether you had a bad day or whatever I could care less about. But in response I called you on your comments which were uncalled for in context and you didn't like that.

So I'll repeat this;

Every comment you don't agree with is "anybody in their right mind wouldn't say that" or "ridiculous". By the book of Marcel. On a topic, NHL play and officiating, where there are no absolutes.

What a way to engage conversation with others.

Say what you want, I'm done having any exchange with you if that's your tactic of interaction.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-05-2017 at 06:57 PM.

I'm hoping Crosby is going to be okay. I'm really not sure how many concussions this kid can take.

Agreed- every person I have spoken to see's it as a penalty by Overchkin, but otherwise, just an accident. Yeah, Crosby is a great player, and its a bit sad he keeps concussing himself by playing recklessly (which you need an element of at the top - anytime you skate at high speed there must be a risk), but that's hockey. At some point, we may have the same issue with CMD, although I was encouraged in the last game to see him scoring a more Gretzky like goal - his game could evolve to less rush over time I think.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-05-2017 at 07:50 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Agreed- every person I have spoken to see's it as a penalty by Overchkin, but otherwise, just an accident. Yeah, Crosby is a great player, and its a bit sad he keeps concussing himself by playing recklessly (which you need an element of at the top - anytime you skate at high speed there must be a risk), but that's hockey. At some point, we may have the same issue with CMD, although I was encouraged in the last game to see him scoring a more Gretzky like goal - his game could evolve to less rush over time I think.
    OK, now I get in this that people are trying to get a rise out of me. But I'll respond anyway just to clarify. In what way could my comments about OV, or the dirty play of the WASHINGTON Capitals. be designed to get a rise out of people in Edmonton Alberta on a messageboard pertaining to Civic Edmonton Alberta. Because I'm not following that interpretation about how anybody could be impacted, or upset, about the related comments.

Understanding is helpful so give feedback, but I'm a word person, and the feedback is not well described. How would my comment on the Caps injuring Crosby get a rise out of people?

I spent decades posting about hockey and the one takeaway from that is that invariably people see hockey plays, basically any hockey play, DIFFERENTLY and its one of the things that makes discussion interesting. I honestly believe OV backchecked like a demon on that play (very rare for him) so that he had a chance to take out Crosby from behind. To make contact with Crosby from behind, and slash him from behind. I even think OV may have intended to trip Crosby, and he's slewfooted players before and so there is precedent for this. But admittedly that's the thing with observing a complex sport like hockey, everybody will see different things, have a different idea on what they just watched. Which is OK.

I haven't one OV, or Caps fan in Edmonton. I've met a ton of Sidney Crosby fans here.

Over the top? That part I do, acknowledged, and I've explained that its a fan method of letting off some steam. Ranting has some element of catharsis, for me anyway.

btw, your suggestion that Crosby plays reckless and the injuries he's suffered are his own fault is more contentious than anything I've stated, and more for the apparent purpose of getting a rise out of anybody. Or its over the top blaming the victim. Crosby was targeted on the play, clearly, by two Caps players and not because he's reckless, but because he's a scoring threat on a dangerous play and a caps killer on the scoreboard.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is the one most illustrative thing I have seen on the blogs regarding the Crosby injury. If this same instance had occurred with McDavid, and he was now out with injury, and the Ducks only got a game misconduct out of taking out our star player we would be going ballistic. As surely Oilers fans would be. Looking at it in that way is a different, but likely, perspective.

It was incidental (accompanying but not a major part of something) - It doesn't have to be Ovi's fault for it to be a penalty. Just because no one is talking about it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about.

Also, I use the NHL's definition of a slew foot, not hockey Canada's - “the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him.”

By that definition, it is a slew foot, whether it was intentional or not. In this case, it is clearly not intentional nor Ovechkin's fault, but that doesn't mean Crosby's foot wasn't knocked out from behind him. I could honestly care less what the commentators are saying on the matter and I made that clear before.

It'd be nice if everyone dropped the personal attacks... I don't see how they are relevant to the conversation.

Ovechkin did not use his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponents foot from under him. Crosby swung his foot into the path of Ovechkin's leg. It was Crosby's own action that caused him to fall.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

It was incidental (accompanying but not a major part of something) - It doesn't have to be Ovi's fault for it to be a penalty. Just because no one is talking about it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about.

Also, I use the NHL's definition of a slew foot, not hockey Canada's - “the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him.”

By that definition, it is a slew foot, whether it was intentional or not. In this case, it is clearly not intentional nor Ovechkin's fault, but that doesn't mean Crosby's foot wasn't knocked out from behind him. I could honestly care less what the commentators are saying on the matter and I made that clear before.

It'd be nice if everyone dropped the personal attacks... I don't see how they are relevant to the conversation.
    Nice post, thanks for this, and as usual, for your contributions.

This is a great article, best I've seen, that captures what I'm thinking about this as we see yet another Crosby injury;

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...playoff-hockey

Indeed this quote says it all;

"Only hockey makes its star players run through a gauntlet of slashes and cheap hits every time they touch the puck in the post-season. Only hockey seems to have two rulebooks: one for the regular season and a much-thinner version, which only really serves as guidelines, for the playoffs.

Apparently, Crosby should have known what he was signing up for when he drove the puck to the net. He should have known players were more interested in taking him out than taking the puck."

or succinctly;

"Can you imagine LeBron James dodging punches on his way to the rim? Or, worse, taking that level of abuse and not even getting to shoot a free throw?"

Indeed. Its time for hockey to change as injuries, and concussions, get more severe, where the lifetime consequences are more indelibly known, and this is even an issue of interest to Oilers fans in our own Connor McDavid who is facing the same level of punishment, yes, punishment. His crime? Being a generational star player in NHL hockey. So that every move he makes on the ice he's targeted, belted, slashed, hacked and worse.

We can only wish that we don't come to learn from this type of thing what all Pens fans already know.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ovechkin did not use his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponents foot from under him. Crosby swung his foot into the path of Ovechkin's leg. It was Crosby's own action that caused him to fall.
    OV's leg/skate was the actual mechanism of Crosby going out of control, followed an instant later by a whack to the head.

Interesting Physics stating that Crosby caused himself to fall. Logically it doesn't follow. If OV doesn't drive Crosby from behind and infract Crosby two different ways Crosby doesn't fall. Correct?

Its not Crosby's fault on the play that he's targeted and with the intent being, as the article above mentions, to take him out of the play. With 3 different infractions.

OV's leg/skate was the actual mechanism of Crosby going out of control, followed an instant later by a whack to the head.

Interesting Physics stating that Crosby caused himself to fall. Logically it doesn't follow. If OV doesn't drive Crosby from behind and infract Crosby two different ways Crosby doesn't fall. Correct?

Its not Crosby's fault on the play that he's targeted and with the intent being, as the article above mentions, to take him out of the play. With 3 different infractions.
    Logically it does follow. If you move your leg to where something is going to impede it you are going to trip. That is what Crosby did, he swung his leg into an object and tripped.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Logically it does follow. If you move your leg to where something is going to impede it you are going to trip. That is what Crosby did, he swung his leg into an object and tripped.
    The primary vector motion on the play, and with speed, is OV skating furiously into Crosby on a backcheck in which OV got on his horse and was moving at his highest speed. That is the primary force vector in the equation, Not Crosby, comparatively stationary object, twisting a bit.

Nor did Crosby move into the path of the OV hit. Crosby was a heat seeking missile aiming at Crosby, who, he made contact with. The best you could do is suggest that Crosbys lateral motion caused OV to get part of him rather than all of him. That is a plausible argument.

The primary force vector is obvious on this play, its OV. Not sure how you could even contest that. Should we draw it up in a vector relationship diagram?
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-05-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Ovechkin didn't take a stride since the top of the blue line. Pretty clear you are going to insist it was a slew foot and I am saying it isn't.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ovechkin didn't take a stride since the top of the blue line. Pretty clear you are going to insist it was a slew foot and I am saying it isn't.
    OV accelerated as fast as he can. His skating is sublime. This is someone that accelerates to top speed in a series of strides as he did on this play. Connor is the same. These elite players/skaters can coast at highest speed over half the ice surface. Surely you know that. Any elite player can coast from blueline and come in to the net at high speed.

Watch the play in realtime, not slow motion, OV is coming into Crosby with considerable speed.

In anycase I think we are done here. Not much else to discuss on the play. Crosby is out, he is concussed and with possible other injuries and it sucks. Sucks for hockey, the quality of the series, and for the NHL.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I think you guys have your points numerous times, it's become a "have the last word" game now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice to see the Pens be able to get a big W and put the series to 3 - 1 even without Crosby in the lineup. Hopefully we see him again before the playoffs or the Pens are done. He's mostly a credit to the game and the league.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Now Ottawa has lost their MVP to injury
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ecap-1.4100033

The prospects of an all-Canadian Stanley Cup final has gone from slim to almost zero.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Looks like Karlsson came back yesterday and the Sens took the series lead again

Nashville eliminated the Blues this afternoon. Yak did not play at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to just hightail it back to Russia.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Looks like Karlsson came back yesterday and the Sens took the series lead again

Nashville eliminated the Blues this afternoon. Yak did not play at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to just hightail it back to Russia.
    Depends how well the team has conveyed what they have in store for him. Blues take their time with players and they stated they see this as a longterm project. Look how long they took to get Magnus involved. I think we see some different things regarding usage of Yakupov next season. They've parked him more that he could have some downtime and want to grow him up the right way in STL. The Oilers of course rushed Yak like a lot of players.

Rangers gone.

Best save of the night: A waitress in an Ottawa sports bar delivers a beer to a table just as Ottawa scores. She saves the beer.

Ovechkin and the Capitals get shut out 2-0 by the Penguins to once again lead the league but fail in the playoffs.

I'm cheering on Smashville in the west now and Sid the Kid in the east. I don't like Ottawa (may be political) and I hate the ducks now. lol

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I'm cheering on Smashville in the west now and Sid the Kid in the east. I don't like Ottawa (may be political) and I hate the ducks now. lol
    I agree with your rationale on Ottawa. heh, might be political. No way I could cheer for an Ottawa club except the Red Black in the Grey Cup against the Stamps haha.

I'm fine with either Nashville or Anaheim making it. Preds would be nice because they seem to have better, and more fans. That team could use a break and something for fans to get excited about. Its the best team they've ever had.

My out of town wish list is complete. STL done, Calgary, Toronto, Washington. All the bets won out again, lol. These are my go to betting against clubs. How can you lose..

Somehow I didn't bet against Ottawa this season. I usually do. I think I'm living a charmed life.

You're right about Nashville. The fans are really into it and the city supports the team wholeheartedly. They deserve a cup. Also anyone that sweeps the Hawks four straight is a tremendous team. As for Central Canada, I'm no fan. Sid I like and the pens have everything it takes. I think Anaheims tired legs won't match up against a rested Preds team. If the Preds win the cup it would be nice to see it go to a new place that's never experienced the euphoria. Nashville would go wild.

I'm not cheering for Ottawa, even if our mayor says we should get behind them. They can't even sell out their home games.
    Last edited by H.L.; 12-05-2017 at 07:57 AM.

^ That's because their arena is equivalent of having our arena in Nisku for us. It's not that they don't support their team - speaking with locals, the bars are packed...but no one wants to make the commute out to the far flung burbs especially on weeknights. Nor can government town with people still not getting paid afford the night out.

They are working on moving the arena downtown. It's being planned with no public dollars. Let's see if it can go through.

I love cheering for Ottawa...its like no one even remembers they're part of the league...they're sleepers, love it when they keep making the ECF unexpectedly.

Are federal employees really people? lol. At least there is lots of room to urinate out there.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-05-2017 at 03:12 AM.

You're right about Nashville. The fans are really into it and the city supports the team wholeheartedly. They deserve a cup. Also anyone that sweeps the Hawks four straight is a tremendous team. As for Central Canada, I'm no fan. Sid I like and the pens have everything it takes. I think Anaheims tired legs won't match up against a rested Preds team. If the Preds win the cup it would be nice to see it go to a new place that's never experienced the euphoria. Nashville would go wild.
    I want Nashville to get the cup as well. I think they have always been a bit of a sleeper team, so would be great for them. Also, Subban to me, is just the best. Amazing hockey talent, plays with a ton of emotion, is a totally class act off the rink, and he gives so much back to the community. I fear it will be Anaheim though, things are just rolling their way.

Go Ducks !

Go Pens !

I think it's the Penguins' cup to lose.

I want Nashville to get the cup as well. I think they have always been a bit of a sleeper team, so would be great for them. Also, Subban to me, is just the best. Amazing hockey talent, plays with a ton of emotion, is a totally class act off the rink, and he gives so much back to the community. I fear it will be Anaheim though, things are just rolling their way.
    Agreed, Nashville is just a great organization. Great supportive fans, competitive exciting team. Plus they have Carrie Underwood.
    If Rinne continues, they could take out the Ducks.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ^ That's because their arena is equivalent of having our arena in Nisku for us. It's not that they don't support their team - speaking with locals, the bars are packed...but no one wants to make the commute out to the far flung burbs especially on weeknights. Nor can government town with people still not getting paid afford the night out.

They are working on moving the arena downtown. It's being planned with no public dollars. Let's see if it can go through.

I love cheering for Ottawa...its like no one even remembers they're part of the league...they're sleepers, love it when they keep making the ECF unexpectedly.
    Sounds like excuses. People can't drive to support their team in the playoffs even when tickets are cheap. The translation for this is they DON'T support their team. As for income Ottawa is one of the more affluent cities in Canada what with all the highly paid civil service.

Not a big fan of the franchise. To me they are Vancouver Canucks East. A team that is around but rarely gets much of anything done. Plus the names. Canucks and Senators for sports clubs. Those names are still strange decades later. But anyplace that has a football team called the " Red Black" must be immune to strange names. Still figuring that one out.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Agreed, Nashville is just a great organization. Great supportive fans, competitive exciting team. Plus they have Carrie Underwood.
    If Rinne continues, they could take out the Ducks.
    Rinne tends to be the wildcard. A goalie that can implode from one round to another. When he gets off his game, he really gets off his game. I still think Talbot has been the best goalie overall in the entire playoffs. So quick to read, react, prepare. His performance was impeccable and close to perfection. Nashville will do well if Rinne is in form and if they can contain the Ducks forecheck and aggressive deployment of D.

I believe it will be a long series.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast