Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 1. Oilers v Sharks

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I can hear the horns on jasper and area..happy crowd

I'd rather C2E than work!

Amazing!!!! Scared to check my blood pressure right now. I was standing for the last hour of the game and jerking back and forth. My wife was wondering what was wrong with me. lol. Superduper.

... and that Klef-BOMB! to tie it...
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Whyte Avenue was surprisingly calm and relatively empty driving by at midnight.

Was the game over? I thought it went past midnight.

I flew in from overseas last night, and was jetlagged enough that there was no way I was staying up. I woke to "Let's Go Oilers" chants coming from outside, though, and was able to go back to sleep with a smile.
    Its so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Whyte Avenue was surprisingly calm and relatively empty driving by at midnight.
    I heard on the news that the action has shifted to across the river, and even the bars on Whyte are not doing as well as the ones downtown.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm drowsy now - what a great win. Us and the Rangers 3-2 up.

I keep checking in to see if Replacement has posted yet this morning again about how awesome the Sharks played, how much better they are than the Oilers, and how the Oilers are lucky to be up 3-2 in the series. That's what I expect every morning after one of these games now, anyway.

Probably should have added in a couple "lol's' in there MrOilers. And maybe edited your post a few times.

I actually really want to hear Replacement's analysis of last night's game and updated assessment of how this series is going as a whole.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I actually really want to hear Replacement's analysis of last night's game and updated assessment of how this series is going as a whole.
    Draisaitl had a legendary game. He setup 3 plays, but one assist removed and so he only ended up with 2. But those 2 were brilliant passes, the types of play only elite players are able to make. Frankly those goals don't happen without Drai's vision and passing ability. He had a hell of a game. Was really feeling it and seeing the ice well. His delays on the two assists and pinpoint delivery and knowing what was going to occur was a Gretzky like bit of vision.

What happened last night overall was score effects and one team making a mistake of going into prevent and trying to protect a lead. Whether this be in Football, hockey, basketball, or any flow interactive sport its a mistake, imo, to hang back. Once the Sharks players started to do that I think they kind of sealed their fate in OT as at that point they had been hanging back for around 25mins. Its hard to change that up and it also relates to momentum.

It was a stinky performance strategy by the Sharks, I don't think Deboers approved and thus why he tried the timeout to redirect his club.

Good performance by the Oilers. good tenacity shown, and to their credit they didn't let up. What I felt is that if they did let up they would have lost. I think instinctively they knew that.

Lets also note the Sharks were two minutes away from winning a game on the road, in the playoffs.

My take is Sharks will win in SJ and bring it back here. But they require more of a pressured effort. The Sharks are better when they are on the forecheck and counter than when they just passively hang back. The Oilers haven't played that well in SJ in the series.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Oilers will win the next game, there is too much pressure on the Sharks now. Losing from a lead like that is always psychologically damaging, more so I think, than a 7-0 loss.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great game, couldn't fall asleep until 2am afterward I was so jacked up. Lots of people hooting and hollering in to the wee hours downtown last night, and for once I didn't mind.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Oilers will win the next game, there is too much pressure on the Sharks now. Losing from a lead like that is always psychologically damaging, more so I think, than a 7-0 loss.
    The hardest thing to face for any club is not being able to score. The Sharks faced that in games 2.3. I think that was the hardest thing to overcome.

Game 5 was interesting in that it was a reversal of game 1. In game 5 the Sharks stake out a 2 goal lead and become tentative. Lose in OT. Just the reverse in game 1.

It does surprise me the Oilers have been able to win 3 against the Sharks. But as it is with key players coming off injuries Jumbo and Couture are having up and down times. Neither was much good last night. They didn't seem to have it.

Oilers are getting better support form more players right now. Sharks don't have one Kassian or Maroon, or even Desharnais story right now. It can't all be the guns getting it done. For the Sharks Hertl and Ward really need to get off their ***. For the Oilers they could use more actual points from Eberle and Nuge, or Pouliot.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Nuge has played great, but is snakebitten so bad. He has had some great chances to score (including last night in OT) but every time the puck bounces in the wrong direction for him.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Great game, couldn't fall asleep until 2am afterward I was so jacked up. Lots of people hooting and hollering in to the wee hours downtown last night, and for once I didn't mind.
    The games are really exciting. Intensity, battle, matchup, young vs vet club storylines, emerging vs team that has been there. Its classic hockey, but theater too, and Connor is there. This is not only an exciting series for Oiler fans I think its probably been one of he better ones.

Nice as well for Oilers to be in the spotlight as much as they have and again with Connor having something to do with that.

Not mentioned is Sportsnet, unlike TSN is really featuring the Oilers a lot in there coverage. SNet often brings the Oilers game as the opening segment of their sports coverage and with Carly Agro and company seeming to be pretty excited about it. TSN will wax on about BlueJays, Leafs, Raptors not in any particular order but all Toronto all day.

Nuge has played great, but is snakebitten so bad. He has had some great chances to score (including last night in OT) but every time the puck bounces in the wrong direction for him.
    It's great to see him skating past players, I think the energy of playoffs is bringing back the player we saw a few years ago, just need a little puck luck now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've been hearing this all season. Its just incredibly bad luck, he'll get there, you wait, he and Eberle will be clutch in the playoffs. moa said that. Nuge has 43pts in 87GP this season. Not good enough no matter who he is facing. He was on ice for multiple GA the previous game, he was last night as well but jumped off the ice just prior to one of the Sharks goals on what was an ill advised line change.

Heres the deal. All of McDavid, Drai, even Letestu, and now Desharnais have produced. The Number 1 pick Center hasn't. I was told this was a big game hunter who owned the WC and that it was going to be his time to shine. Being half of a defensive center, and weak at that isn't enough. When Lucic was saying we need more go to guys producing I can't help but think Nuge and Eberle are part of that. Its amazing Lucic is getting anything going with those two. Eberle particularly has been peripheral and easy to push off the puck in tough playoff play. As much as I expected. Reality is the Oilers would probably do better ongoing than be paying 12M for Eberle and Nuge who are more and more turning out to be replaceable players. Desharnais and Letestu could either perform what Nuge is contributing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It's great to see him skating past players, I think the energy of playoffs is bringing back the player we saw a few years ago, just need a little puck luck now.
    You mean the energy of being a pro hockey player making 6M/ isn't enough? Most players would be ecstatic. Most players here, almost all, make more of a contribution.

How long does bad puck luck last? This cherry hasn't even cracked 100 NHL goals yet. He has 30 in his last two seasons. He's been snakebit for a longtime. lol telecast comment last night. "Another weak shot by Nugent Hopkins" hmmm.

Seem to recall him missing a wide open net in game 4 with the score 2-0. Nobody mentioned that one either. or his failure to score last night on a golden chance. he just doesn't finish, isn't a good finisher, and rarely has been. He's so unconfident he's on a 2 on 1 break, and he passes to Russell... Kind of how its been going for him. This is a player that's really struggling and has been all season and now playoffs. In the Regular season it doesn't matter as much that Nuge flubs chances, can't finish, can't generate, but in the playoffs where each goal is so important his non contributions are not helpful in key moments in games. Fortunately, as usual, other players rose up and got it done. For instance Drai, Letestu, and Desharnais. Too bad for Nuge Colorado and Vancouver type teams don't make the playoffs.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Downtown and in particular Jasper Avenue was amazing last night. Bias or not.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Or how about Nurse hitting the post twice in the first period, one of which was an unlucky deflect? Poor guy.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I think so too. There will be a ton of pressure on them just to get to the next game which should lead to mistakes. Look to McDavid to capitalize.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Did anyone notice in the after game interview how sick Drai is. Having a game like he did with a bad cold/flu is amazing.

Super fun game to watch, lots of energy Downtown.
    www.decl.org

I need to add that these 8:30pm starts are stupid.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Clearly you should know by now that central Canadian teams are far more important than western Canadian teams. Talk to Sportsnet, CBC and TSN, they'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ Clearly you should know by now that central Canadian teams are far more important than western Canadian teams. Talk to Sportsnet, CBC and TSN, they'll tell you.
    If the Habs or Leafs end up playing the oilers in the final, you can bet all our home games will be 4pm starts so we don't keep the precious snowflakes up to late in the east.

Is anyone else going to the watch party at Rogers Place on Saturday? I was out of the country for the past week, so I feel like I've missed out on most of the fun, and am really looking forward to this one.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Global live hit gets interrupted by OT goal
    https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...ort-live-video

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    If the Habs or Leafs end up playing the oilers in the final, you can bet all our home games will be 4pm starts so we don't keep the precious snowflakes up to late in the east.
    You'd lose. A 7:00 start there would be a 5:00 start here, just like it's always been.

As much as some would like to revel in pointless bitterness, the east has a much larger population, and audience, than the west. Plus, their games are always going to start earlier than ours, except on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Is anyone else going to the watch party at Rogers Place on Saturday? I was out of the country for the past week, so I feel like I've missed out on most of the fun, and am really looking forward to this one.
    I'm a bit perplexed by the 'party' at Rogers Place. Are you talking about that crowd that was around the anthem singer? If so, I'm not sure why one would go there? You're not watching the game in real time. it's a glorified bar. And that's great except its $11.00 beers. Do people say "I was there.....etc"? Ummm, no you weren't.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    You'd lose. A 7:00 start there would be a 5:00 start here, just like it's always been.
    No, OUR home games.
    Imagine trying to get downtown for a 4 or 5pm start time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    No, OUR home games.
    Imagine trying to get downtown for a 4 or 5pm start time.
    Oh yes, right, totally foolish. Add in all the business that downtown bars wouldn't be getting before the game, quite unlikely to be countered by business after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed by the 'party' at Rogers Place. Are you talking about that crowd that was around the anthem singer? If so, I'm not sure why one would go there? You're not watching the game in real time. it's a glorified bar. And that's great except its $11.00 beers. Do people say "I was there.....etc"? Ummm, no you weren't.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "that crowd that was around the anthem singer", but I'm talking about the "watch party" that has been taking place during every away game. Tickets are $5.00, and you watch the same television feed that people are watching at home or in pubs, but you watch it with a whole arena full of Oilers fans. As someone who is in this as much for the atmosphere as for the hockey, I think it sounds really fun, and preferable to sitting in a pub watching the same feed (if for no other reason than that you're sure that your seat is yours for the whole night). I'm happy to shell out $5.00 for that.

Here's the link to the event.
    Last edited by Idealistic Pragmatist; 21-04-2017 at 03:55 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The beers aren't $11 in Ford Hall either.

Too bad it doesn't come with free coffee and doughnuts and a pop for the kids.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

There's nothing "central Canada" about southern Ontario. Ego-central, yes, but I digress.

Let's do this tonight boys! Downtown is going to be electric.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If we win I think it would be game 7, in which case the party would be more electric being a home game. That said the watch party thing is pretty much a sellout. Has any club ever sold out the building before for an away game viewing?

Oh god, we have to go out tonight, my mind will be on this game!!

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Dump her or him.

At work today prior to the HUGE game tonight. GO OILERS GO!

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by mr bear View Post
    Dump her or him.
    Its my granddaughter, and Cinderella, how can I?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I just had a bit of a revelation, I seldom get them. It occurs to me that McD didn't yet have his shove it in the face of SJ game yet. Perhaps the crowd chanting score 6, 7, 8 goals was also part of what angered him last time in SJ. Maybe he's going to don the superman cloak tonight.

Connor McDavid with 3 pts tonight, what say you?

This could be an inspired vision I'm having. heh

Dump her or him.
    Its my granddaughter, and Cinderella, how can I?
    Ched and ear buds

oh god, we have to go out tonight, my mind will be on this game!!
    dump her or him.
    its my granddaughter, and cinderella, how can i?
    i take it all back!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Awesome pic Ian, I love the team spirit of the blue and orange Scotia Place glass

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I just had a bit of a revelation, I seldom get them. It occurs to me that McD didn't yet have his shove it in the face of SJ game yet. Perhaps the crowd chanting score 6, 7, 8 goals was also part of what angered him last time in SJ. Maybe he's going to don the superman cloak tonight.

Connor McDavid with 3 pts tonight, what say you?

This could be an inspired vision I'm having. heh

Hopefully it is so.

I would think Katz makes an extra ten million dollars from all proceeds should they come back for game seven. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I would think Katz makes an extra ten million dollars from all proceeds should they come back for game seven. Just saying.
    I'm musing Katz could make that much just off of the Orange Crush campaign alone!
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Jones picked this game to be garbage day. Good for the Oilers and goaltending has been a key. One could tell Jones was going to be rocky in the first. gave up half a dozen high risk rebounds and even on rebound shots. Meanwhile Talbot solid as normal in net stopping absolutely everything.

Also, why does Jones even have a goalie stick. lol Beaten 5 hole 6 times in the series, can't control the puck well, and shockingly doesn't even come out of his net when the puck is dumped in. The puck could be coming a few feet out of his cage with an Oiler first on it and Jones just watches it. Strange goalie. Glad we got Talbot.

Oilers have to pick it up though. Sharks were really coming. Wouldn't be hanging back. I think the Oilers will get a quick 3rd goal in the 3rd. Just shoot it on net. Nuge might even score.

WE WOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!!!! 3-1, with Connor McJesus scoring a goal with 0.3 seconds left. What a beauty!. I wonder how the Oilers are gonna stack up against the Ducks.
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

Wuwho, the core is going nuts downtown. Bring on the Ducks!

Great team effort.

I thought fate was against the Oilers when Draisaitl's stick broke when shooting for the empty netter.

The Oilers have had a successful season. Nobody predicted them to make the second round of the playoffs. Everything else now is gravy.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I just hope Oscar's okay. He sat on the bench hurt for all of the 3rd period and one trainer had an ice pack on his neck.

^^ That was a nail biter for sure. I wonder how Klefbom is?

Yippee !! One down, three to go. Bring on the Anaheim Ducks.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-04-2017 at 11:33 PM.

I just hope Oscar's okay. He sat on the bench hurt for all of the 3rd period and one trainer had an ice pack on his neck.
    He's sick. Flu going around the team so no injury plus a few days to recover.

Yup - some guys are sick.

Draisaitl was completely invisible for the first 4 games and was even coughing in an interview. He clearly recovered because the last 2 games he back to his old self and was dynamite.

Omg, I thought the sharks had momentum in the third ( which was the only period we saw ) great team,Thankyou oilers!!!
    When do we they play Anaheim? Monday?

C2E SME

The first round could finish tomorrow night. I imagine the second round could start as early as Wednesday.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    The first round could finish tomorrow night. I imagine the second round could start as early as Wednesday.
    Thanks..I have to rearrange our schedules...

Oh man when Drai's stick broke....I got such a huge dread wash over me. So glad we survived the third period barrage.

So now its "Orange Crush" vs "Paint it Orange"

It's gonna be like home game every game for both teams in the upcoming series :P

Orange County Ducks vs Orange Province (NDP) Oilers

Can we beat the ducks, how good are they?

They whooped the Flames 4 straight and were the best in this division. The Oilers will have to take it up a notch or two to beat these guys.

^^ We won 3 and lost 2 in the regular season.

Tue, Nov 15 @Anaheim L4-1

Sat, Dec 3 Vs Anaheim W3-2 OT

Wed, Jan 25 @ Anaheim W4-0

Wed, Mar 22 @ Anaheim L4-3

Sat, Apr 1 VS Anaheim W3-2 OT

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/schedul...dmonton-oilers
    Last edited by envaneo; 23-04-2017 at 01:27 AM.

The oilers will need to be 100% healthy and the ones that are not will need to cough on every duck as much as possible

I'm thinking this next series will be similar to the last one but will go down to the wire.

Time for a new thread!

Or just change the name of this one. Oilers 2017 Stanley Cup run.

Duck a l'orange, anyone?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Well, the watch party turned out to be pretty terrific. The five-dollar price tag meant that the place was full of familes with young children who seemed just so thrilled to be able to experience something of the atmosphere of an actual game, in the actual spot where some of those games get played, at a price everyone could afford. And of course the outcome made it all the more special. I hope they keep doing them as long as the run continues.

Here's a selection of photos and videos for anyone who's curious:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/jennie...57679781453993

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ that's awesome, what a game last night!!! The Ducks series will be a tough battle, I see a more open series with more scoring.

Has anyone seat in the SN seats for the away games? I heard they are $20 and comes with hotdogs, unlimited popcorn and pop.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    I think so too. There will be a ton of pressure on them just to get to the next game which should lead to mistakes. Look to McDavid to capitalize.
    We called it, you called that late empty netter

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Duck a l'orange, anyone?
    Would make a nice second course after the Shark Fin Soup. Perhaps Predator Stew for third course followed by Roast Penguin for the main course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    ^ that's awesome, what a game last night!!! The Ducks series will be a tough battle, I see a more open series with more scoring.

Has anyone seat in the SN seats for the away games? I heard they are $20 and comes with hotdogs, unlimited popcorn and pop.
    I heard that the tickets were $5. Not sure about amenities etc.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

I heard that the tickets were $5. Not sure about amenities etc.
    Regular-seat tickets (upper bowl and lower bowl) were certainly all $5. Not sure about the special seats, though they definitely did seem to have sold them, as they had people sitting there.

^ At any rate its good for the fans and more importantly brought the masses downtown. I hope that bird made it out alive dt last night.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I am closing this thread. It is time to talk round 2.

If you want to still talk about celebrations and activities downtown and elsewhere, please use the "activities" thread in this forum.
    Ow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234