Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 1. Oilers v Sharks

Just watched all the post game interviews and to a man sharks are composed and they know what they know they need to do, just like the Oilers did. Burns actually was asked if the Sharks had to elevate their physical game. He said; "no not at all, taking hits is part of hockey and you take a hit to make a hockey play, our guys are plenty good at sacrificing and its what playoffs are all about." When he was talking about support out there he meant puck support and guys not flying the zone and getting into position for outlet passes. The Sharks forwards were bad last night, Burns was letting them know that and even said. "well be talking, oh well be talking" I like Burns, real leader on that team.

Pavelski owned up his own responsibility and that he didn't have it last night and needs to be better. I think he played well in game 1.

Dillon stated he had no problems whatsoever with the Kassian hit and even smiled a bit and said; "hey that's hockey, he rang me up, no big deal and also stated the Sharks are not going to target Kassian in any way, that they are just going to play their game.

With a dozen penalties in a couple games the Oilers need to tone it down a bit. A little bit too excited. While running around serves you well at home its probably not the ideal road game to bring and especially when you can't match lines as much. The Oilers need to stay out of the box and stop taking stick penalties. Bring the hits, for sure, but play with discipline.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-04-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This series is a battle royale and both teams can battle. Just enjoy it. I find its even more enjoyable when you can appreciate what both teams on the ice bring to it.
    As a kid I played and lived hockey during the Gretzky years and my world revolved around it (during the winter, anyway). When I stopped playing in my teens I started with the over-analytical stats and pool thing. After that, I stopped caring with the exception of the 06' run where I became a bandwagon fan. Then I stopped caring for real during the dark years of the alumni-run experiment. Now I care again because the team is actually good and they have the lineup that has the ability to light up any team in the league with offence or brute strength and are even respectable defensively all of a sudden. We had more fun watching the game yesterday (at home) than most in the last 10 years with the exception of the odd anomaly (ie. Sam Gagner 8 point night etc.). They're good enough to win the west but even if they do (probably not) they won't get past Washington or Pittsburgh. Next year they should be legitimate favorite to make a run at both. Hockey is much more fun since I've stopped caring lol

I should have taken a break as well. I'd be better for it. heheh. Theres been a lot of hockey pain the last decade but this is great. I feel like every game is a PPV that I'm getting for free. Its that level of entertainment and sure exciting.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Oilers recall D Griffin Reinhart:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...iffin-reinhart
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I should have taken a break as well. I'd be better for it. heheh. Theres been a lot of hockey pain the last decade but this is great. I feel like every game is a PPV that I'm getting for free. Its that level of entertainment and sure exciting.
    The last decade has been fun when they won a game they shouldn't have but at least now they're good enough to win each game for real. What an ordeal this organization has been. From lunch at the White House to nearly losing the team due to lack of crowds and revenue it's been a treat watching them do an actual rebuild the last two seasons.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Most dominating game by the Oilers since game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in 06. Great game!
    That was 5-0 Oilers back then if I recall when Smitty got his Chiclets out. I was sure that night the Cup was coming home. I think the game was on a Saturday night and ended Monday night game #7.
    Our standout Rolly the Goalie got injured, that caused us to lose. End of story. Talbot gets injured, same result. He posted a shutout last night and yet was not mentioned as one of the three stars of the broadcast on SportsNet. Seems like he's taken for granted.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Most dominating game by the Oilers since game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in 06. Great game!
    That was 5-0 Oilers back then if I recall when Smitty got his Chiclets out. I was sure that night the Cup was coming home. I think the game was on a Saturday night and ended Monday night game #7.
    Talbot gets injured, same result. He posted a shutout last night and yet was not mentioned as one of the three stars of the broadcast on SportsNet. Seems like he's taken for granted.
    Uh, definitely not taken for granted, he has been critical for the team's success. While he had the shutout, he also didn't really see a lot of shots, nor a lot of high quality chances at that.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Probably as insurance in case Klefbom can't play.
    The Condors were just eliminated from the AHL playoffs, I wonder if Puljujarvi and a couple of others will also be called up?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Looked to me that the Sharks were in a state of shock after the game.
    Their body language really said it all. NOBODY on the Sharks stood up for their teammates while they were getting pummeled all game.
    C'mon, this is starting to be manufactured. The Sharks have done this before and I watched every game they played in the playoffs last season.
    Why do you keep referring to last year? This is a different year with different teams.

In fact, the last regular season game the Oilers played against the Sharks just 2 weeks ago (April 6) was just as big a beat down as the one on Friday night (and the first period of game 1) as well.

The Oilers can completely curb stomp the Sharks, and they know it.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 16-04-2017 at 01:05 AM.

I think next time we see Puljujarvi in Oilers colours wont be until camp.

^ But that was in the regular season.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Yup. Oilers kept them to 15 shots in that regular season game just over a week ago. Now they kept them to 16 shots in a playoff game, too.

I think it looks very encouraging for the Oilers.

The San Jose Mercury sports reporter was amused by Edmonton's playoff hockey culture: "Playoff hockey in Canada is like eating lunch with Mickey Mouse at Disneyland":

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/1...at-disneyland/
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Looked to me that the Sharks were in a state of shock after the game.
    Their body language really said it all. NOBODY on the Sharks stood up for their teammates while they were getting pummeled all game.
    C'mon, this is starting to be manufactured. The Sharks have done this before and I watched every game they played in the playoffs last season.
    Why do you keep referring to last year? This is a different year with different teams.

In fact, the last regular season game the Oilers played against the Sharks just 2 weeks ago (April 6) was just as big a beat down as the one on Friday night (and the first period of game 1) as well.

The Oilers can completely curb stomp the Sharks, and they know it.
    Regular season games mean zilch. They never have meant much. Playoffs is a different game. We know that both of these teams can play a playoff game now, but we knew that about the Sharks already. We also know they can play sustained at a high level for prolonged periods of time and that their tendency has been to get better as series progress. We don't know the Oilers have that similar sustain yet playing a good team every night.

Curb stomped? Nah, see that's where the hyperbole occurs. That the Sharks are beaten, dead, done. I don't see it that way. The task is trying to beat the Sharks 4 times. Teams have learned trying to get the 3rd and 4th games off them is the hardest.

Finally, how would the Oilers really be doing without a Joe Thornton comparable in the lineup?

Anyway I like to enjoy what all teams bring. To appreciate them all. To me that makes watching more enjoyable. I don't understand the fans at the game that need to give opponents the finger and such. I don't get that at all, never have. Not saying you, just saying it seems like fandom in present day requires hating the opposition. I can only muster that up for Calgary.

Yup. Oilers kept them to 15 shots in that regular season game just over a week ago. Now they kept them to 16 shots in a playoff game, too.

I think it looks very encouraging for the Oilers.
    Of course it does. But I think it fair to say at this point it looks encouraging for both clubs. Its going to be that kind of series with swings. There will be more before its said and done.

One thing in our favor though, and that the Sharks might not fully comprehend, is that the Oilers can play more of their game on the road and without the distraction of the home support. Sometimes teams can get off their game at home. I think that happened a bit to the Oilers at Rogers in game 1.

Just so people know the Oilers "Watch Party" at Rogers Place this evening is assigned seats, I thought it was GA. So far they have only released lower bowl but most of that is sold. Not sure at what point, or if, they release more than that. Only around 4 sections left. Would be cool to sit in a DRL or Loge seating but I don't think they're allowing that. Doors at 7, game at 8. Free Sunday parking DT in some of the parkades, not all.

Well, Oilers shut down the Sharks for the win again. Oil kept them to 4 shots in the second period, and 6 in the third. Thornton, Burns, Marleau, Pavelski... all completely neutralized by the defense and Talbot.

We got lucky tonight. Talbot is amazing.

ZAKKKKKKKKK

That said, pretty much the entirety of the team looked unable to make a play.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Were you drinking ?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I disagree, we weathered the first period storm and outplayed them badly in the second outshooting them 12-4. The Sharks had 10 shots in the last two periods, a great shutdown road win.

Top goaltending on both sides, Good defensive play overall, although both Nurse and Benning had a couple of bad runaround shifts. McJesus is being blanketed, and it doesn't help matters that Maroon's hands have gone stone cold. The big hitters on the Oilers need to hit more. Jumbo kinda petered after the 1st period, can't help but wonder if he came back too soon.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Top goaltending on both sides, Good defensive play overall, although both Nurse and Benning had a couple of bad runaround shifts. McJesus is being blanketed, and it doesn't help matters that Maroon's hands have gone stone cold. The big hitters on the Oilers need to hit more. Jumbo kinda petered after the 1st period, can't help but wonder if he came back too soon.
    Jones hasn't been anywhere close to Talbot in this series. Jones has allowed 4 5 hole goals in this series. Were it not for Talbot the Oilers would have been down in the first minutes of this game where Sharks were just running the rink. Sharks were the better team last night, and lost. Ian is right. There is no way an NHL goalie should allow the goal Jones allowed on Klef, or Kassian in this series. Kassian was on the backhand and just trying to get the puck on the net. Jones was in position, there was no other play on to cover, he knew what was going to happen, and for an inexplicable reason did not get in his set. It was a slow backhand shot that beat him through the wickets. Undoubtedly the Oilers scouting report on him. This is the thing that makes Talbot so great, he doesn't have any weaknesses in his fundamental game

That said the Oilers played well enough to be in it but man Talbot is stealing the show in this series. Of course Kassian as well. Kass with 2 Game winning goals in 3 games and leading scorer in the series. Who would have called that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I disagree, we weathered the first period storm and outplayed them badly in the second outshooting them 12-4. The Sharks had 10 shots in the last two periods, a great shutdown road win.
    The Sharks outshot and outchanced the Oilers in the game. What? the first period doesn't count now? Sharks should have been up 2-0 after that period were it not for Talbot who is the best goalie on the planet right now.

What your post doesn't say is that neither team had a lot of shots. It was a tightly played game. Coverage for both teams was good. That Kass scored the only goal in the game should speak to the fact that both teams did a good job shutting down the guns. The goal was also well into the 3rd period in next goal wins territory. That said Talbot made 3 great saves late in the game to preserve the W.

That's what I saw as well. I thought it was one of the best performances of the season - the Sharks were throwing everything at us, yet they hardly got any good opportunities, lots of shots but not many challenging ones. It was smart, tight, defensively sound, and patient hockey, and it paid off brilliantly. Very mature performance, great road win.

If Talbot gives up 4 5 hole goals in the series we wouldn't be winning. Jones has, that's the difference. Talbot is being perfect, also fantastic dealing with rebounds. Not only is he making all the stops he's cleaning up either freezing the puck or getting it out of harms way. Talbot has been sensational. He kept the Oilers in it in the first 10 mins.

This is why 5 hole goals are demoralizing. Your goalie, and the whole team knows that those shots can be stopped. its not like you got blown away by a laser shot, or beaten on a one timer, or on a shot you had no chance on. 5 hole goals are right through your armor. Indeed 4/5 of the Oilers goals in the series have been 5 holes. everybody knows it. What do the Sharks do about it? That was maybe the only mistake the Sharks made in the 3rd and Jones crumbled on it. We don't know what that means because Talbot is making everything look easy. When is the last time Talbot was beaten 5 hole? Anybody?

Talbot last night made 3 saves last night off deflections. Almost nobody notes that or considers how miraculous his play has been. Its the first constant on the Oilers, that Talbot is great. Like they said in the telecast a lot of teams wanted Talbot, Sather gave the Oilers a last favor.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-04-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Talbot who is the best goalie on the planet right now.
    I believe that honor goes to Jake Allen from the Blues right now. Talbot's playing great though.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    Talbot who is the best goalie on the planet right now.
    I believe that honor goes to Jake Allen from the Blues right now. Talbot's playing great though.
    I haven't watched that series at all so I can't comment. Its hard to imagine anybody has had a better game than Talbot in Game 1.

Statistically Allen and Talbot are a deadheat, but we know Talbot is the better and more consistent goalie. Fundamentally right now there is no goalie better. Rinne has been the best in the playoffs so far but his game falls completely apart at times. I wouldn't want to be relying on him.

I watched the first two periods last night, then turned it off with 10:10 left in the third period. Katsina scored less than a min later. Guess I need to stop watching the games.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I watched the first two periods last night, then turned it off with 10:10 left in the third period. Katsina scored less than a min later. Guess I need to stop watching the games.
    Being he's a hero of the franchise right now maybe he could be called Katzsian but whats a Katsina?

Yeah, please don't watch the games anymore. Do your part. hehe

Saw this posted on another board;

"If the Oilers 2006 era Fernando Pisani and Raffi Torres had a love child his name would be Zack Kassian"

About the way I see it.

Nor is this any illusion. Talk about elevating your game. The Oilers assessment to give Kass pk responsibilities this year was a masterstroke and Woodcroft gets some credit for working with him. This has translated to Kass having the hockey sense of Pisani and the big game fire and hitting of Torres. Quite a handful to play against. He'll run you through the boards, beat you senseless, and beat your goalie too while riding your donkey.

I'm sure the Sharks are having nightmares about this guy by now. Has he ever stepped up. Hero, flat out.

Kass not only scored the only goal in the game he made the pinch on the boards that froze the D outlet and that resulted in the giveaway. With credit to Draisaitl who put pressure on the D.

on the breakaway goal Kass perfectly reads that the puck is turned over and no hesitation jumps. It takes guts to do that and a lot of players wouldn't because its a PK. He read the play Pisani or Peca style.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-04-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Katsina is the capital of Katsina State, Nigeria. Wha.........

When Kassian was in front of the sharks bench and they were harassing him I thought he will show them now. It turned out that was the case.

Easter dinner ran late so I only caught highlights when we got home. Did I hear "Let's go Oilers" chant right before the goal and then crowd cheering?

Let's go shaaarks is what I was hearing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ I thought I heard Sharlers lol, I think the orange crush at the Shark Tank was loud and proud last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Being he's a hero of the franchise right now maybe he could be called Katzsian but whats a Katsina?

Yeah, please don't watch the games anymore. Do your part. hehe
    Hah, missed that auto-correct on the iPad. Kassian!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

It was a tightly played game. Coverage for both teams was good.
    Yup, it was a defensive chess match. It's important that the Oilers can successfully play that style. San Jose's entire team have been like a pack of dogs on McDavid, just like the Oilers have been giving Burns and Couture a beating every time they step on the ice. But in the end a team win is better than a highlight-reel McJesus goal any day.

The Oilers also were the better team after the opening period and weathering the Sharks' big "comeback statement". Mixing the lines did wonders - Draisaitl all of a sudden had a pile of chances to score once they moved him to Kassian's line, and Slepyshev somehow gave McDavid more room to cause chaos in the Sharks' zone. That one move made the entire Oilers team more dangerous offensively.

^Maroon (who has missed quite a few chances), and Draisaitl have both struggled a bit against the sharks. The blending was a good idea as the coverage is so strong on McDavids line. It opens up the option of dropping Desharnais from the next game as well, he hasn't looked good at all.

I've noticed its a trend in playoffs that the top lines get cancelled out by the coverage - the third and fourth line is often where the opportunities lie for players like Kassian who has top 6 ability. It was the same in 2006 with Pisani. Putting Draisaitl on those lines creates a massive threat. Its great to have the flexibility, if the coverage then drops on McDavids line, back Draisaitl can go from time to time (that might be a reason to keep Desharnais in the roster).

I've thought for some time that this Oilers team was put together with playoffs in mind, and we are seeing that now. The Nuge line is really effective at cancelling the opposition top line while adding quite a bit of threat, it gives a lot of room to mix and match the players on the other lines, and special teams. We are seeing the benefits of having three top six quality centers and a nice mix of skilled fast guys, and big bodies who can crash and bang and retain the puck.
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-04-2017 at 10:02 AM.

It was a tightly played game. Coverage for both teams was good.
    Yup, it was a defensive chess match. It's important that the Oilers can successfully play that style. San Jose's entire team have been like a pack of dogs on McDavid, just like the Oilers have been giving Burns and Couture a beating every time they step on the ice. But in the end a team win is better than a highlight-reel McJesus goal any day.

The Oilers also were the better team after the opening period and weathering the Sharks' big "comeback statement". Mixing the lines did wonders - Draisaitl all of a sudden had a pile of chances to score once they moved him to Kassian's line, and Slepyshev somehow gave McDavid more room to cause chaos in the Sharks' zone. That one move made the entire Oilers team more dangerous offensively.
    The Oilers played a very intelligent game. One thing that is shocking is that the Vet team is flinching, and making mistakes first. Also that they are being schooled on what would usually be a vet clubs domain, special teams. The Sharks special teams suck. The Oilers are actually outshooting the Sharks on their PP in the series. The Oilers are +2 on the Sharks PP, lol. I think whats really stinging for the Sharks is the shock that a team with limited playoff experience is schooling them on those kinds of experiential aspects.

its the correct decision for the Oilers to spread out their assets. I was saying before playoffs that they shouldn't stick with the eggs in one basket topline. The Pens gave the Sharks problems because they had dangerous players on 3 lines. What this meant is that the Sharks couldn't cheat on offense and couldn't commit forward as much as they would want to do. What this Sharks team did for 3 rounds last year was hem other clubs in. The Pens had the answer to that. I'm sure the Oilers have looked at those films.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-04-2017 at 10:09 AM.

It was nice that Rogers Place arena opened the arena up so fans could come in and watch a playoff road game on the big screen. At $5 a ticket, that's a great way for fans to experience the arena that haven't been able to get inside to watch a Live game. With all the fans in attendance, it may as well have been a Live game. And the last time a Oilers goal tender won a back to back shut out in the playoffs was 1998 Curtis Joseph.

My vote for MVP? Cam Talbot.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ 11,000+ attended, great to see for the fans and for the charity getting $55,000+. Note that the SN Club seats are $20 and include hotdogs, popcorn and pop.

^ 11,000+ attended, great to see for the fans and for the charity getting $55,000+. Note that the SN Club seats are $20 and include hotdogs, popcorn and pop.
    I was wondering what food would be available for the Sky and Sn lounges that they were selling for 20bucks. Not really worth it I guess except to look around there. A chance to see the lounges.

It is great that they opened up the arena for road games. It was one possibility they had talked about with the big jumbotron and I'm glad they did it. Didn't make it out but would consider tomorrow if its still happening.

One thing I did notice is that the lower bowl completely sold out about a few hours before game and then they opened up a few upper sections. I think they were kind of hoping that the lower bowl +lounges levels would handle everybody but that wasn't even enough.

I wonder what the record is for attendance at these road watch games. Pretty impressive.

edit Just confirmed this is going on again on Tuesday. looks like every road game.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-04-2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: edit; just checked

stuff
    I got about a dozen private messages after I posted that all detailing their very interesting thoughts about what you "add." I'll take their opinion on you, over your own opinion on you. It's not crazy to think I wouldn't want to post here if it's full of your insults, which your post was full of. Sorry, the rest of your post needs an editor. Just lots of repetition.

Anyways, I hope you work on your posting. Lots of the PM's hoped the best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mr bear View Post
    stuff
    I got about a dozen private messages after I posted that all detailing their very interesting thoughts about what you "add." I'll take their opinion on you, over your own opinion on you. It's not crazy to think I wouldn't want to post here if it's full of your insults, which your post was full of. Sorry, the rest of your post needs an editor. Just lots of repetition.

Anyways, I hope you work on your posting. Lots of the PM's hoped the best for you.
    What do your attacks have to do with the thread topic?

You're one of those axe to grind agenda posters, probably from hfboards and your OWN contempt is noted. You have 7 posts on this board and five of them have targeted me or trolled me. Strange that, yeah..

Whatever issue you have with me can be contained in PM or doesn't need to be expressed in public posts. Nor is it appropriate on a message board to do that. Nor do I care the slightest bit what your opinion is and why would I being that its an obvious smear attempt?

Your attempts are so obvious I can probably tell who you are on hfboards. Troll more next time. Bring it or go home.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand.
    Ow

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Ouch flame fans. No new arena for you guys!

Sorry, I didnt know where to post this..

Are the rumors true that the Sharks wouldn't let the Oilers have their morning skate on time and didn't provide them nets?

If so, it's really telling of how the Sharks are out of ideas after getting totally shut down for 2 straight games.

Apparently the Sharks are not allowing the lights on before 11:30 AM. TSN is trying to make a story out of it but they admit it's a non-issue
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/oilers-s...andate~1103212

Well, the best way to cure all that is go out and do 'em again. GO OIL!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

#LightsOutSharks
    www.decl.org

http://www.thescore.com/news/1283462

No lights no nets..chicken blanks SJ

Yeah, funny stuff by San jose but really a non-story.
    Last edited by mr bear; 18-04-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Half way through the game and it's 4-0 Sharks. Oh oh. The party may be over.

Well, literally EVERYTHING is going San Jose's way tonight.

Oh well, it's a best-of-seven series and Oilers can re-take the series lead here on Thursday.

6-0 now. This old guy is going to bed now. 1-0 or 10-0 it's just one loss either way. Better luck next time. But....it seems like SJ has got their old game back. Shucks.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-04-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Its all about momentum. The Oilers need to collect their composer and make the loss a non shut out, regroup and go back to work here in Edmonton. Its going to be a different result Thursday folks.

C2E Continued Contributor

Brutal
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

The Oilers will probably get to work on their power play in the third.

4 goals in 4 games. yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Brutal
    It is. The worst Oiler playoff game of all time. The single worst losing scoreline in the playoffs for an Oiler club ever. Think about that. In the 90's. in a league with no cap the outstrapped Oilers with all kinds of heart went up against goliaths and never had a game like this. Why this team?

This is 4 games now and the Oilers have played badly in 2 of them, they've been undisciplined in 3 of them.

Mclellan post game say we talked to the team about not taking stupid penalties after game 1, 2, 3, maybe they listen now..

I feel sorry for Talbot after this one. He doesn't deserve this. The Oilers gap control and coverage tonight was abysmal from the word go. Why?

Well the Oilers got spanked. This game wasn't worth 5 bucks to see.. they should refund any $ for the watch party. Just let those people in for game 6 if they even want to.

The next game will be better, Talbot will be rested, and the oil machine will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    The next game will be better, Talbot will be rested, and the oil machine will be fine.
    Yeah, clearly a small but very ugly bump in the road. Been outplayed in 2, outplayed the Sharks in 2. Home ice advantage. Good setup.

Brutal
    It is. The worst Oiler playoff game of all time. The single worst losing scoreline in the playoffs for an Oiler club ever. Think about that. In the 90's. in a league with no cap the outstrapped Oilers with all kinds of heart went up against goliaths and never had a game like this. Why this team?

This is 4 games now and the Oilers have played badly in 2 of them, they've been undisciplined in 3 of them.

Mclellan post game say we talked to the team about not taking stupid penalties after game 1, 2, 3, maybe they listen now..

I feel sorry for Talbot after this one. He doesn't deserve this. The Oilers gap control and coverage tonight was abysmal from the word go. Why?

Well the Oilers got spanked. This game wasn't worth 5 bucks to see.. they should refund any $ for the watch party. Just let those people in for game 6 if they even want to.
    I don't get it either. And it starts with the captain.

I can think of a couple worse playoff games off the top of my head. The Miracle on Manchester, and the Steve Smith game. But I don't think there's been as lopsided a game as this one.

I wonder if the Oilers didn't think they had Sharks number on the penalty kill, and could get away with anything? When McDavid is gooning, you know their focus is off. Going after Couture's face is cheap, but that's the playoffs. I just didn't expect it from McDavid. Or Draisaitl, who will be lucky if he doesn't get a call from NHL.

Does anyone need to tell the captain that's not his game? Draisaitl has been getting away with sticking guys all series, and it was bound to get noticed. Not that you could miss this one.

I'm sure they're frustrated, but this is the playoffs, and they're playing last season's Cup finalists, not racking up personal bests against a truly lousy Canucks team just trying to get to the end of a bad season, while other playoff teams were resting their top players in meaningless games.

Now Couture's feeling it, and Thornton is getting better every game. On second Couture goal, Larsson was way more concerned with getting something going with the Shark in the corner, and left a guy open right in front of the net. Nurse running around all night trying to nail guys, and looked like a turnstile. ??????

Experience won out big time. Really impressive discipline from Sharks. The Oilers could have been called for another ten penalties.

Sharks took all the cheap shots, stayed focussed, and made them pay on the scoresheet. I'd bet the refs said something to the coaches, especially McLellan, after the 2nd, when it could have been a real gong show if Oilers kept it up in the 3rd. Ironically, Lucic who was one of the few Oilers who kept his composure. Just a stupid, stupid game. I hope they learned something about playoff hockey.

2-2 in series. No momentum from game to game, so I expect a full reset for game 5, and none of that fake "we're so tough" baloney. Lots of hitting is ok, of course, but the cheap shots cost them big time.

PS: I think my girlfriend has a harder wrist shot than RNH. Jeez, man
    Last edited by Jimbo; 19-04-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Right now I hate everyone.

BUT whether the Oilers lose 7-zip or 1-0 what does it matter? Ask San Jose fans how they felt after losing in Game 3. The bottom line is the Sharks did their job tonight to survive.

The Oilers confidence went down the bay toilet right after the 19 second Shark opening goal. What puzzled me was the Oilers did not relentlessly hit, hit, hit tonight.

Brutal
    Tonight was very disappointing. But it is not the worst Oiler playoff loss of all time.

Replacement, you witnessed the 1st Round series against the LA Kings when the juggernaut Oilers blew the 5-0 lead in Game 3. That was the worst playoff game in franchise history.

Growing Pains... like another era.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Brutal
    Tonight was very disappointing. But it is not the worst Oiler playoff loss of all time.

Replacement, you witnessed the 1st Round series against the LA Kings when the juggernaut Oilers blew the 5-0 lead in Game 3. That was the worst playoff game in franchise history.
    The arrogance displayed was similar. But I was referring to the scoreline, and this was the worst ever Oilers playoff score with a -7 goal differential. The previous worst ever Oiler scoreline was 8-2 loss against the Hawks in 92. An Oiler team that at that time had been dismantling several star players and were just trying to hang around.

The thing that upsets me the most is that the Oilers have no shortage of players and coaches that told this team exactly what the Sharks are about and capable of in the playoffs. None of them listened.

Heres a hint of the arrogance the Oilers have displayed. Klefbom, in an interview that hit the papers and media in both cities suggested that him missing the open net with 90secs left in the previous game didn't "actually" matter and that the Oilers were in control and were going to win the game. Not only is that ill-advised thing to state its inaccurate. The Sharks had multiple chances to tie the game after the Klefbom miscue.

But we're quite clearly seeing an Oilers team that has negligible respect for the opposition they are playing. The Sharks know it too which has added to the fire. I said this after game 2 that the oilers need to tone down the aspect of pissing off the Sharks. The Sharks did the same last night, we'll see how the Oilers respond to it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-04-2017 at 05:36 AM.

Its only one game, true, this always can be stated but in the meanwhile the Sharks got their star players untracked, got their PP untracked and rolling, and removed the cloak of invincibility that Talbot had in the series. In short the Oilers chose, through their play to unmask their goaltenders own game. Specifically that shooting high from close range with puck speeds around 80 miles/hr is going to overwhelm even god in net. The Oilers were giving up that free target practice all day.

Gotta say it too. The Sharks schemes are superior to the Oilers. This notable in breakout where the Sharks have several more well honed break out sets than the Oilers do. Countless times last night the Sharks utilized break outs that are not even in the Oiler play set. We're playing a team that has practiced things like 4 pass variable breakout sets.

Finally the Oilers have 2EV goals in the whole series. Only 5 in the whole series and 4 of which have been 5 hole leaks on Jones. The Sharks have put a blanket around the Oilers in regular play.

^you sure like to stat the obvious don't you haha.

It's a new day, series is tied 2-2. Still have a good shot at this with home ice advantage.

I bet San Jose wishes they could' spread out those 7 goals over the last 3 games instead of getting completely shut down twice like they did.

At any rate, it's a tie series and I think it's better for the Oilers to lose the way they did, rather than say, lose in a heartbreaker in double-overtime.

I also think that whoever takes tomorrow night's game takes the series.

I think so as well, once you are on the Hill, its hard for the other team to come back. Talbot had a very rough night (0.792%), whole team was flat. We should see them pumped up with plenty of energy, but hopefully also some of that smart play from game 3 will return. I liked how angry CMD was, I think that's a very good sign for the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    ^you sure like to stat the obvious don't you haha.

It's a new day, series is tied 2-2. Still have a good shot at this with home ice advantage.
    Verbiage is a form of venting my spleen. I feel like it gets toxins out..catharsis heh

I love discussion, love talking hockey and with people that follow it. In my line of work most people are just bandwagon and don't know as much about the game thus I'm limited being able to talk about it. My wife would fit the latter. She's still wondering what hooking is and why its only 2mins...
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-04-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I think so as well, once you are on the Hill, its hard for the other team to come back. Talbot had a very rough night (0.792%), whole team was flat. We should see them pumped up with plenty of energy, but hopefully also some of that smart play from game 3 will return. I liked how angry CMD was, I think that's a very good sign for the next game.
    Game 3 was impressive. But that being still a toss up game that could have gone either way. In 2 of the games in the series the Sharks have dominated, the Oilers have dominated one, and game 3 was fairly even. But even at that the Oilers could easily have given up the first goal in the first 5-10mins of that one.

The Oilers need to start games better, be more prepared, and more disciplined. I've quite enjoyed McLellans teaching moments. He's not only a coach, he's being like a guiding father. Keeps patiently repeating the lessons, adding reassurance, calmly but clearly offering feedback. He's such a pro, but it had to be kind of disappointing for his team to have pulled this result with Coaches former team, and in the SJ rink. As a returning player, or coach, that kind of thing stings. You don't want to be spanked by your former team, in their barn that you remember so well.

Yes blaming the refs wont get you anywhere, but the Russell and Kassian penalties which made the game 2-0 and then 3-0(was basically a 5-3) were absolute brutal calls by the ref. Those plays happen regularly that never get called. Even before yesterays game, Sharks have the most powerplays by any team in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    Yes blaming the refs wont get you anywhere, but the Russell and Kassian penalties which made the game 2-0 and then 3-0(was basically a 5-3) were absolute brutal calls by the ref. Those plays happen regularly that never get called. Even before yesterays game, Sharks have the most powerplays by any team in the playoffs.
    The Oilers unfortunately in this series have been arguably the dirtiest team in the playoffs and countless stick infractions tend to illustrate that. By their coaches own admission they are being way too undisciplined. Committing way too many infractions. McDavid himself had several noted infractions last night and was called for one penalty. They were even grievous infractions. I love McDavid but he lost it in this game multiple times.

Conversely when it was 2-0 a Shark was called for interference on what was a play that happens 200 times in a game it was so innocuous. Some of the Sharks calls were really low threshold stuff. Fact of the matter is the Sharks are being more disciplined in the series.

The Oilers are not a dirty team. But they are an inexperienced team in the playoffs and have had a lot of emotion about that. That ton of emotion has translated frequently into getting carried away, even for our best players and very out of character for many of those. Drai would probably be the first to tell you he deserved what he got. Also to do that anytime, but with the game over is a retributive form of reaction that the league cannot allow. To their credit the Oilers calmed down in the 3rd and played the game out. But in the 1st, 2nd period the Oilers were very unglued.

Yeah, those penalty calls at the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd period were REALLY weak.

Still, it was up to the Oilers to kill those penalties, and they failed. They completely got off their game at that point. Up until then the Oilers were actually playing quite well and pushing back in the first period, despite the 2-0 score. They already showed some jump after they killed the Sharks' 5-on-3 powerplay, but failed to keep it up. If they kept the score at 2-0 after those calls it would still have been anyone's game, in my opinion.

Orange Crush Community Rally Update

April 19, 2017

Orange Crush

Wear orange, get loud and prepare to rally in the square as we celebrate the return of the Edmonton Oilers for Game
    Five of the Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Date: Thursday, April 20, 2017
    Time: 12 - 1 p.m.

Join Mayor Don Iveson, Edmonton Oilers Alumni and fans in Churchill Square for giveaways and a chance to celebrate our playoff journey with the rest of the city. Fans are encouraged to put their
    orange crush spirit on display for a chance to win one of five pairs of tickets to Thursday's game!

Please note, this event will cause temporary lane closures around Churchill Square.

A media area will be available. For live broadcast requests, please RSVP.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/oilersplayoffs

Media contact:
    Ramya Velmurugiah
    Communications Advisor
    780-496-8226
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    Going after Couture's face is cheap, but that's the playoffs. I just didn't expect it from McDavid.

I saw him try it at least twice. I don't necessarily have a problem with McDavid playing a bit greasier in the playoffs, but it does seem like he's lost his focus a bit.

Must be the fightin' Irish coming out .

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Going after Couture's face is cheap, but that's the playoffs. I just didn't expect it from McDavid.

I saw him try it at least twice. I don't necessarily have a problem with McDavid playing a bit greasier in the playoffs, but it does seem like he's lost his focus a bit.
    i think what we're seeing from mcdavid is an inexperienced, youthful, frustrated response to constantly being subjected to that same greasier in-your-face playoff coverage for the first time. he'll get over it and quickly learn that the best response is drawing the penalties and racking up the points, not racking up dumb retaliation penalties. it's tough being the new kid on the block who doesn't yet get the benefit of a doubt from the refs (or is expected to "pay his dues" first) but all of the great ones had to learn to play through that to get to the next level.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

i think what we're seeing from mcdavid is an inexperienced, youthful, frustrated response to constantly being subjected to that same greasier in-your-face playoff coverage for the first time. he'll get over it and quickly learn that the best response is drawing the penalties and racking up the points, not racking up dumb retaliation penalties. it's tough being the new kid on the block who doesn't yet get the benefit of a doubt from the refs (or is expected to "pay his dues" first) but all of the great ones had to learn to play through that to get to the next level.
    He's so impressive he rechanneled emotion before the game was even over. You could see the steely determination in his eyes. Another game, make em pay with a W. It was written all over his face. Not sure if you caught my post but earlier in the series he applauded Meier, who is from the same draft as McDavid, and Connor said he's a really good young player despite getting hit by Meier multiple times. The same player he was menacingly cross checking 5 times in succession yesterday. Connor lost it, It was kind of funny only in that you knew how out of character it was for his maturity level which is more than I will ever possess..

Maybe its cuz his mom wasn't watching this one. Boys will be boys. Nobody telling him to play nice with his *friends* out there.

jk aside Playoff version Pavelski type checking attention is more than anything Connor has faced. He's had hints of it before but its the sustained thing that playoffs bring. Where normal guys like Draisaitl are just losing it by game 4. Learning.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-04-2017 at 02:17 PM.

The Oilers unfortunately in this series have been arguably the dirtiest team in the playoffs and countless stick infractions tend to illustrate that. By their coaches own admission they are being way too undisciplined. Committing way too many infractions. McDavid himself had several noted infractions last night and was called for one penalty. They were even grievous infractions. I love McDavid but he lost it in this game multiple times.

Conversely when it was 2-0 a Shark was called for interference on what was a play that happens 200 times in a game it was so innocuous. Some of the Sharks calls were really low threshold stuff. Fact of the matter is the Sharks are being more disciplined in the series.

The Oilers are not a dirty team. But they are an inexperienced team in the playoffs and have had a lot of emotion about that. That ton of emotion has translated frequently into getting carried away, even for our best players and very out of character for many of those. Drai would probably be the first to tell you he deserved what he got. Also to do that anytime, but with the game over is a retributive form of reaction that the league cannot allow. To their credit the Oilers calmed down in the 3rd and played the game out. But in the 1st, 2nd period the Oilers were very unglued.
    The Sharks are constantly interfering in this 'innocuous' manner. Seems they are playing by California rules.

California rules, Califronia calls

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

The Sharks are constantly interfering in this 'innocuous' manner. Seems they are playing by California rules.
    Thresholds exist with all rules. yet Connor rakes pavelski up side his left side all the way to his head and Oilers fans are complaining about the call. McDavid as mentioned went after Couture twice and high sticked him right where he had all the surgery. If that was happening to an Oiler the fans would be going bonkers about it.

Sharks are doing things that go on in playoff hockey invariably and that don't get called. Oilers are high sticking guys in the face. What do you think is getting called more?

PS I love California hockey. All the teams there play good hockey. Oilers are learning how.

I expect the Oilers to come out in high gear, banging bodies like we saw in Game 2. The Oilers are a tough team to play against when they get physical, and both teams know the series is truly on the line now. I said it before and I'll say it again - I think tonight's winner takes the series.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Agreed.

Me tonight:

Last edited by Hilman; 20-04-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

Thresholds exist with all rules. yet Connor rakes pavelski up side his left side all the way to his head and Oilers fans are complaining about the call. McDavid as mentioned went after Couture twice and high sticked him right where he had all the surgery. If that was happening to an Oiler the fans would be going bonkers about it.

Sharks are doing things that go on in playoff hockey invariably and that don't get called. Oilers are high sticking guys in the face. What do you think is getting called more?

PS I love California hockey. All the teams there play good hockey. Oilers are learning how.

In complete agreement.

Did anyone go to the Oilers rally yet? Or at this hour is it sill in progress?

imo this series will go 7 games. Sharks have all the momentum now, they know how to shut down McDavid. The Sharks will play tonight like Anaheim played (toyed?) the Flames last night. I hope I'm wrong but SJ is not done yet.

imo this series will go 7 games. Sharks have all the momentum now, they know how to shut down McDavid. The Sharks will play tonight like Anaheim played (toyed?) the Flames last night. I hope I'm wrong but SJ is not done yet.
    Yep. The Oilers best play, and Terry Jones stated this, was trying to win a short series. He had predicted the Oilers in 5 games. But he assumed this club would have the foresight to recognize what a big break it was playing first 2 games with the Sharks not having Thornton in lineup and with Couture injured and not ready. That was huge advantage. It was like facing the Oilers without McDavid and Lucic. The Oilers blew that chance. They deserved to lose in game 1, and obviously in game 4. Now they're getting the full Sharks club for real. That are so steady on their feet they could lose tonight and still win the series. The Sharks as I have stated tend to get better as series go along. You don't want to be seeing the Sharks in a game 7. Even a team as good as the Pens realized that full well.

I actually think the Oilers with enough rebound can take the game tonight. But I think with the resolute Sharks it doesn't much matter. The Sharks did what they needed to do, extend the series long enough for Jumbo and Couture to get healthy. With those two humming they are a somewhat better club. Add playoff experience and they are considerably better.

If Sharks were going to fold their cards it would have happened in game 4. That was the Oilers biggest opportunity to pull out a series win. Its like they didn't even recognize the fortune and opportunity, and winning game 3 was a huge fortune. The Oilers ****** it away.

Sharks have all the momentum now, they know how to shut down McDavid.

I don't think "momentum" carries from game-to-game. Heck, it barely carries from period-to-period in the same game.

And McDavid has 2 points in the 2 home games so far this series. Sharks haven't shut down McDavid in Edmonton.

www.decl.org

Sharks have all the momentum now, they know how to shut down McDavid.

I don't think "momentum" carries from game-to-game. Heck, it barely carries from period-to-period in the same game.

And McDavid has 2 points in the 2 home games so far this series. Sharks haven't shut down McDavid in Edmonton.
    and yet from reports here and on hf the Sharks were destroyed after game 2..Or demoralized or whatever words were being used. Or in shock.

Which I said at the time was a completely bogus claim that did not in any was respect or acknowledge the Veteran Sharks resilience.

I think it was a safe claim to say the Sharks were going to bounce back and they played very well in games 3, 4. Predictably, as a team with established vet pride, and that knows how to win in the playoffs invariably does.

I think the Oilers show some bounce back too, but the Oilers have more of a job to do pulling themselves off the mat for tonight then the Sharks did coming home.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-04-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Tickets down in price from previously in the series when tickets below 400bucks were rare. There are now tickets as low as 250bucks, Skylounge as low as 340, and in all more than 300seats priced lower than 400. Zero tickets for the opener were priced lower than 400 on NHL ticket resales.

People expecting a loss? Is the steam out of this thing? Or are people out of $?

Tickets rarely go down in price as series progress. Usually they go up, and this game is a hell of a lot more important than game 1 or 2 was. Its weird.

Tickets down in price from previously in the series when tickets below 400bucks were rare.
    I guess people badly wanted to be at the first Oilers playoff games in 11 years. Tickets for tonight are lower price yet still outrageously expensive. I'm sure if the series goes to game 7, those will be pricey too.

Tickets down in price from previously in the series when tickets below 400bucks were rare.
    I guess people badly wanted to be at the first Oilers playoff games in 11 years. Tickets for tonight are lower price yet still outrageously expensive. I'm sure if the series goes to game 7, those will be pricey too.
    Oh I agree ticket prices are still outrageous, I would never pay this. But still, a game 5 in a 2-2 series is huge normally and usually a high priced ticket. Game 5 and Game 7 being usually the most exciting games in a series.

Plus that its going to be so interesting to see how McDavid and the Oilers respond. I think there's a mammoth story line tonight. This could be the best game all season, easily.

Omg I'm so nervous...and they scored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overtime - OILERS WIN!

I'm gonna be tired at work tomorrow, but it was worth it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow, what a finish!!!

Wow, great game!! It forces game 6 and 7 !!
    Lots of tired but happy fans tomorrow...
    Down 3-1 and back they come. Gretzky looked nervous. Loved seeing Joey Moss at the start!

That might be the most dominant overtime I have ever seen the Oilers play. The way they came back from 2 goals down to win in OT completely mirrored what happened in game 1.

My heart is still pumping

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast