Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 1. Oilers v Sharks

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 1. Oilers v Sharks

Well, that was pretty awesome. McDavid with his 100th point, Oilers with 103 points to take second in the Pacific, and they finish the season +35 in goal differential (6th in the league).

Bring on the Sharks!

P.S. Has this board ever seen an Oilers Playoff thread?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^ I could be wrong but didn't C2E start in 2007?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    P.S. Has this board ever seen an Oilers Playoff thread?
    If you look on the last page of the Sports forum, there are several threads on the 2006 playoffs:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...oad-to-the-Cup

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...Playoff-thread

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...inals-schedule

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...d-the-Playoffs

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ilers-playoffs

p.s. You'll even find a couple of threads from that time that re: rumors of a new NHL arena.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 09-04-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oilers playoffs, McDavid, Art Ross, MVP. Beyond that whatever happens, happens.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

NHL Playoffs TV schedule:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...063170?cmp=rss

I'd love to know why the Flames series gets CBC coverage while the Oilers series is shunted off to Sportsnet.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    THIS. Oilers already exceeded expectations this year with a playoff birth, anything after that is a bonus.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    NHL Playoffs TV schedule:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...063170?cmp=rss

I'd love to know why the Flames series gets CBC coverage while the Oilers series is shunted off to Sportsnet.
    Kind of the opposite way to look at it. Rogers Sportsnet owns the rightsholding to both clubs and is actually "shipping off" the Flames broadcasts to the CBC who it shares coverage with. Not really important in anycase.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^it is important if you cut the cable and aren't planning to buy the NHL live package. Cbc is free to air (and also available on some streaming devices now).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I thought all channels were digital and not analog now. Theres still free to air around?

I don't suspect many hockey fans have zero access to Rogers Sportsnet. Given they've had rights for multiple years now.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I don't suspect many hockey fans have zero access to Rogers Sportsnet. Given they've had rights for multiple years now.
    A lot of people don't buy it, lots of people have cut the cord and don't like to hand money to this cable company. I do some years, not others (this year Rogers NHL live was terrible with lots of blackouts - supposedly the playoffs won't have blackouts). I often prefer to watch at a bar, but I like it when CBC broadcasts because it gives me another option to stream on any device of mine for free.

Going to game 4 in San Jose!!!!! Sweeeeeet

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I thought all channels were digital and not analog now. Theres still free to air around?

We have no cable. I get to watch oilers games whenever they're on CBC. It is free over the air in HD. So I will miss the first round.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

www.decl.org

i snagged tickets to game one on the resale market a while back. I tried getting other tickets today but had no luck. I had a boat load of people trying to get me tickets but that didnt make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    THIS. Oilers already exceeded expectations this year with a playoff birth, anything after that is a bonus.
    Exactly.

Going to game 1, woo!

Where are people planning on watching out of curiosity? Whyte, Downtown, Home, other?
    www.decl.org

Home for the first two games, some random decently sized sports pub in downtown san francisco for game 3 (TBD), and live at the SAP Center in San Jose for Game 4!!!

It'll be interesting to see how they treat Ford Hall during the home games. It's free to hang around there, right?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I'll be watching from home, my neighbours and my friend down the street in his garage that I just picked up a new Samsung 32" TV for him as his older one was crapping out. Can't take that chance with the Oilers in the playoffs so I purchased him an early birthday present.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how they treat Ford Hall during the home games. It's free to hang around there, right?

Good question Gord.

Be interesting to see if they jack up the beer prices like they did playoff tickets.

I'll be watching from home because there will be multiple other games going on and DVRs rule!
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Going to game 1, woo!

Where are people planning on watching out of curiosity? Whyte, Downtown, Home, other?
    We're hitting Whyte for game 1.

Anyone know if they are doing anything in the winter garden for the games? They usually close Molson whatever it is called for the start of events.

Awaiting formal confirmation, but one has to think Molson House will be a rockin! Hopefully some activities and tailgate outside around Rogers as well.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'll be watching at home. Not paying 400bucks/ticket to a playoff game lol I've seen the Oilers win the cup twice. First time I paid 99bucks/ticket resale. That was a promotion that included dinner at the forum Inn and getting to meet the players pre game that was 1985. second time I got regular tickets, 2nd bowl, 28bucks. That was for a game 7 playoff winner take all SC game against the Flyers in 87. I had bought 8 tickets to that game for friends and family.

To wit I decided to check what first round 2017 playoffs is costing around the league. Search was in all cases for pairs but prices listed are per ticket. Heres the results in order of lowest ticket cost with no further commentary;

Edm 400 bucks minimum, no seat in the whole place lower than that through NHL ticket exchange.

Tor 323bucks

MTL 175bucks

Bos 115bucks

Minn 112bucks

Calgary 103bucks

Clb 86bucks

Wash 74bucks

Ott 70bucks

Chi 70bucks

Nash 67bucks

SJ 60bucks

Pitts 60bucks

Stl 53bucks

Ana 37bucks

Now I understand that USD is more money, but still. Only playoff tickets I couldn't check is NYR as their ticket buying page was jammed continuously. They might be higher than Edmonton cost to get in. Nobody else is.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2017 at 02:42 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Now I'll editorialize. I'll remind that this here arena was the arena that needed to be capped out at 18,500 because Katz wasn't sure of demand and wanted a low capacity arena. 14NHL rinks have a higher capacity. Only 3 NHL cities have higher ticket demand. (NY, Mtl, Tor, looking at total gate and around the rink pricing out)

I called this out at the time and stated that this rink should be 20K capacity and that even that wouldn't come close to covering this market. People responded, "yeah but supply and demand" keep capacity low, ticket prices high as if that benefitted.

Well that's what we got here. Crazy, absolutely insane demand, but extremely limited supply.

This is the hottest sports and Entertainment market in Canada. One of the clear top half dozen markets in NA, mainly because it seems people here have limitless disposable cash which is a rarity anywhere else but say NY, LA, Tor, Van. and in Vancouver they don't bother being entertainment fans.

Man, even Calgary hasn't caught this bug. This is just Edmonton being event crazy. No other place like this. Now one could look at that as being really good, but not if you're some young person wanting to try to buy a ticket that has not had a chance to see playoff hockey before.

My advice would be just do what Meds did and book a flight and see some games in SJ. It would possibly be a cheaper option including cost of flight.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Or maybe no one else has 10 years of pent-up demand. After 5years of playoff appearances we could be dropped back down to Montreal's level.
    There can only be one.

I will be in town for Game 1, but after that I'll be out of the country for six days (terrible timing, I know, but the trip was planned about six months ago). The Oilers had better do well so that I can see more than just the one night of hockey!
    Its so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?

It wasn't a supply and demand thing. You're making that up replacement. It was a cost vs benefit thing. Adding more seats is very costly. The ideal arrangement/seating capacity was found for the space the arena is in. Adding another 1,500 seats isn't going to satisify the demand anyways.

You're out of touch again.

i have no idea where you got your research, but I have family in toronto who say that its minimum ticket there is $500 US plus

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Or maybe no one else has 10 years of pent-up demand. After 5years of playoff appearances we could be dropped back down to Montreal's level.
    Bingo
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    i have no idea where you got your research, but I have family in toronto who say that its minimum ticket there is $500 US plus
    Where I got my research is clicking on 16 different NHL team sites that are in the playoffs and clicking on game tickets from there. This was earlier today. Threre was quite a few Leafs tickets in the 300 buck price range and I checked 3 of the games. Strange that since I checked the Leafs board has a different splash page up and now are not allowing you to see resales until the actual tickets go on sale. Before it was showing resales prices. That's what I was looking at NHL ticket resales.

Calgary - 103 bucks... If you like seeing in the area where you get most of the ice blocked and are forced to watch TVs...

regular seats start at over 200.

I think Replacement needs to research better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wrong as usual Ian. None of the Canadian teams made the playoffs last season. No Canadian club has won since 93. No Canadian club has advanced far in the playoffs for quite a while. Demand is pent up in every Canadian market, not just this one. Its only that this market has shown a willingness to pay just about anything.

I've followed this for a longtime as well. almost every year I compare what I call "Ticket to ride" which is the lowest cost tickets to get in around the league. Even back in 06 Oilers tickets for that playoff run were higher than almost anywhere. Back then there was no pent up demand. the Oilers had made the playoffs fairly regularly in the seasons preceding that.

This is just a market that will snatch up tickets more than almost any other. For instance Metallica show at Commonwealth sold out immediately. When no others did. I could get pairs to any other Metallica show in NA when I checked, just here they were sold out.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Calgary - 103 bucks... If you like seeing in the area where you get most of the ice blocked and are forced to watch TVs...

regular seats start at over 200.

I think Replacement needs to research better.
    Its prices to get in. I'm not looking at comparable. If you've been to a playoff game you know it doesn't matter where you sit. You can always end up walking around and getting a view from somewhere. I've done SR for several playoff games and for instance in 97, and 98 and its a good experience just being there. Also of note anybody can get behind somebody smaller in SR and in most rinks be able to see just fine.

Plus for those not familiar its literally impossible to have an unobstructed view in the playoffs to any game. People standing up, people leaning over blocking view, people all waving towels, banners, flags, puckhats, Number 1 hands etc. In playoffs its bedlam. You don't see a ton of the action. You PVR the game and watch it at home. You attend the game for the crowd action and phenomenon. But view is obstructed almost constantly in a playoff game. Actually standing room was almost the best view I ever had at Rexall for playoffs. Its worse now because you go to a game and everybody is holding their cell phones up taking shots and video, usually while standing up.

I've never been in Saddledome though before. Why would I?

ps just rechecked. 200 level seats available for 167bucks. Tons of seats available in Calgary in 100some buck range all in lowest priced tier. But still, so many seats in 2nd level in Saddledome less than 200bucks, less than half of ANY ticket resale at Rogers place.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Demand is pent up in every Canadian market, not just this one. Its only that this market has shown a willingness to pay just about anything.

If you've been to a playoff game you know it doesn't matter where you sit.
    The problem is that many of us haven't been to a playoff game. You have an entire generation of kids (myself included) who have lived their entire 20's without the Oilers making the playoffs. This demographic was too poor to afford tickets in the 06 run due to university or college... and now have decent careers and willing to pay a arm and a leg for games.

I would say that demand is extremely pent up in Edmonton.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Demand is pent up in every Canadian market, not just this one. Its only that this market has shown a willingness to pay just about anything.

If you've been to a playoff game you know it doesn't matter where you sit.
    The problem is that many of us haven't been to a playoff game. You have an entire generation of kids (myself included) who have lived their entire 20's without the Oilers making the playoffs. This demographic was too poor to afford tickets in the 06 run due to university or college... and now have decent careers and willing to pay a arm and a leg for games.

I would say that demand is extremely pent up in Edmonton.
    Relative to other areas demand is always pent up in Edmonton market. For any ticket entertainment. Just checked again. I can get any number of seats to metallica in BC Place. Tons still that are unsold. In Edmonton, all of Commonwealth only some singles are left. All else are high priced resales. That's typical of this market which sells out faster than 90% of other markets.

My sympathies though for people that haven't had a chance to go see a playoff game. These ticket prices are making that pretty untenable for any younger people I know.

It's really the perfect storm for sky high ticket prices and people are willing to pay for it.

www.decl.org

bwhahaha now that made me laugh.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It's really the perfect storm for sky high ticket prices and people are willing to pay for it.
    I have no idea how you or anybody figure 10 yrs of blatant org futility is a perfect storm formula to get people to beat down the doors to buy your product at any price. Looking at it from a perspective that is less unconditionally accepting I could even find it puzzling that Oilers fans willingness to pay has actually increased as a function of 10yrs without as is apparently being suggested.

Further, how is a collapsed and hurting economy a perfect storm to get people to dole out a ton of money on something as discretionary as hockey tickets?

From a marketing pov none of this makes a lot of sense nor does the decision to spend thousands of dollars on this in challenging and uncertain economic times.

You raised a point earlier that a lot of the motivation is peoples last experience with the playoffs 10yrs ago, couldn't afford to go then, but are now professional and will pay the moon now. I dunno, I see a lot of young 20's age people at games. tbh I don't quite know how they are there, how they are legitimately affording it, but it seems like a younger crowd is getting out at games.

It boggles my mind how that is the case.

Nothing that's occurred in Alberta, the economic calamity, the Fort McMurray fires, relocation and shutdowns should really be the perfect storm for this nature of spending right now. I'm not surprised by it, even expected it, but it fairly defies reason.

^

I was referring to:
    -10 year drought
    -CMD getting 100 points and the art ross and potentially hart trophies
    -New rink
    -Oilers ending off the season strong, and according to TSN the 5th best chance out of all playoff teams to win the cup?
    -Etc.

People are excited and ticket sales/prices don't lie.

I don't actually believe it for a second (blasphemy!), but these two guys think the Oilers can/will win the Cup, and it's kinda fun to read their reasoning:

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-edmonto...?tid=287344776
    http://fansided.com/2017/04/11/nhl-p...n-stanley-cup/

^what concerns me with people saying Talbot will win it, is that nobody has seen Talbot go into a Stanley cup finals as a starter. He may be every bit as brilliant as he has been all year. But he may not be. I think the playoffs is a slightly different kettle of fish, some players rise up, but others don't. I hope Talbot does, and if he does, we have a chance, but every team that makes the playoffs has a chance.

NHL wrote an article for each team and why they will win the cup.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think the Oilers could go deep, and that the WC is pretty wide open this year and there for the taking, but I think at some point some team with more vets, more accomplished playoff experience will eventually lean on the Oilers who will get eventually whittled down.

What we haven't seen, because regular season doesn't afford this, is playing good opponents every night, with stakes on the line, and then having to do that each series. For the Oilers to W the cup would probably require taking out SJ, Ana, Chicago, and then probably some even stronger EC champ. The Oilers have a handful of players that can play well for segments. What they don't have is a team that can weather say 2.5mths of playoff storm through around 24-28gp.

Before people bet their money on a cup win know that the Oilers record in the last few months against playoff teams isn't all that fantastic.

But all that said I wouldn't spend thousands of bucks seeing this through. People are betting whether they gamble or not. just everytime they pay 400bucks for a playoff game its pretty much spinning a wheel.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^what concerns me with people saying Talbot will win it, is that nobody has seen Talbot go into a Stanley cup finals as a starter. He may be every bit as brilliant as he has been all year. But he may not be. I think the playoffs is a slightly different kettle of fish, some players rise up, but others don't. I hope Talbot does, and if he does, we have a chance, but every team that makes the playoffs has a chance.
    Even while Talbot is playing lights out and some of the best goaltending I've seen the team in front of him is giving up a constant diet of grade A scoring chances to opponents. In the last few games this hasn't mattered with the Sharks missing 2 of their most potent players and the Nucks being impotent. Still, Nucks get 2 goalposts in one of the games and an open net magic save by Sekera's stick. The Oilers won one game a couple a weeks ago where they edged out the opponent who hit 4 goalposts.

Oilers have been getting Talbot and the breaks. They give up too many scoring chances to be a fantastic playoff team. The other thing though worth noting is the first line is so damn good that trailing by 2 goals is less of a problem then it would be for most clubs. But they've relied on that too much and it puts Talbot on the stove almost all the time. Brossoit was beat glove hand on an average shot that Talbot stops all the time for fun. Its all Talbot all week, all month for the entire playoffs as the dropoff in backup is severe.

Other factors is how the zebras will call the action. Put whistles away and this hurts the Oilers. Call everything and the Oilers do better in games with a lot of penalties called.

Finally, how much could possibly be in our toplines tank? or Talbots. We've really rode these guys hard just to get here. After one hard playoff series we might be seeing them hit a wall. That's the primary difference, is that other clubs that have played a few round of playoffs know more what its like. I could see the oilers going gangbusters in 1st round and manage to beat the Sharks. But what will they have left?
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-04-2017 at 09:19 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I don't actually believe it for a second (blasphemy!), but these two guys think the Oilers can/will win the Cup, and it's kinda fun to read their reasoning:

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-edmonto...?tid=287344776
    http://fansided.com/2017/04/11/nhl-p...n-stanley-cup/
    They didn't list the biggest reason the Oilers have had as much verve as they have had this season. They are absolutely healthy. No significant games lost, Not one game lost due to injury of our topsix all season (this as we know is incredible and rarely happens with any club) and our top 4 D have been really healthy, as well as getting 70some healthy games from Talbot.

The reason I've been on the fence saying this might be one of this teams better chances is it is unlikely that they are ever this healthy again and unlikely that they ever get goaltending that is this out of this world again. Talbot, McD, Drai, you can tell they are approaching this as this year territory. That's been their attitude from the start. like the 1980, or 81 oilers sometimes that's the club that is most dangerous, a club that doesn't even know the pain involved in playoffs and that would see it as fun. Without the pressure more incumbent clubs face. Indeed that gloried Oilers team, the best of all time, struggled in 82,and 83 after experiencing expectations and no longer being a sleeper club. By 82 the Oilers were well scouted, well known, and a vet club with a lot of will, and that didn't like the brash kids, took us apart.

This is the sleeper year. I'd rather not that pundits say the Oilers could win the cup. I'd rather that around the league nobody thinks they can.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^

I was referring to:
    -10 year drought
    -CMD getting 100 points and the art ross and potentially hart trophies
    -New rink
    -Oilers ending off the season strong, and according to TSN the 5th best chance out of all playoff teams to win the cup?
    -Etc.

People are excited and ticket sales/prices don't lie.
    Obviously people are excited and the ticket prices don't lie. I'm just looking at it from more of a sociological or observing angle. its definitely a phenomenon, and its definitely off the charts here to a degree rarely found anywhere else. It was in 2006 as well. Ticket prices were high that year for playoff resales. There was very similar mania.

lets keep in mind as well that this is first round. Tickets are crazy expensive. If first round is 400bucks if this team reaches latter rounds the resale prices will be extraordinary. They invariably go up, as the face prices do. lets say hypothetically the team were to make the final. That means that the asking price for single tickets, cheapest ones, will be around 1k. With that also increasing as that series go's on. it was not uncommon for people to be spending 1-2K on a SC final game here in 2006. These are actually charted waters. But this happens in very few locations and it happens in no other city this size to the same degree.

Finally, the Social Worker side of me see's some of the costs involved, just like costs of gambling to families and I saw enough of that in 2006. Substance abuse too. Its interesting how much of a hangover there was in 2006 after game 7. For much more varied reasons than the team losing. So I do get mixed feelings about any priced mania and the other assorted mayhem and riots that end up happening. Its a real ride, and unlike countries that Celebrate Carnival, this ride can last for months. A lot of people get surprised at the effects of suddenly drinking heavily over an extended period of time and doing it several times a week for months whether they be at the game or watching in bars or parties..
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-04-2017 at 09:36 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards
    It wasn't a supply and demand thing. You're making that up replacement. It was a cost vs benefit thing. Adding more seats is very costly. The ideal arrangement/seating capacity was found for the space the arena is in. Adding another 1,500 seats isn't going to satisify the demand anyways.

It also costs the most money to add the seats that you'll end up selling for the least amount of revenue. The arena is appropriately sized for Edmonton's market now and in to the future. It has 500 more seats than MSG does for hockey and is within 300-500 seats of Van/TO's arena's, for god's sake.

Important playoff computer/mobile device wallpaper backgrounds

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/fans/wallpapers
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

It also costs the most money to add the seats that you'll end up selling for the least amount of revenue. The arena is appropriately sized for Edmonton's market now and in to the future. It has 500 more seats than MSG does for hockey and is within 300-500 seats of Van/TO's arena's, for god's sake.
    Vancouver is a ticket buying joke compared to Edmonton. Always has been and for any entertainment. They don't support concerts as well per pollstar, don't support NHL as well and don't support CFL as well. They blow their load on real estate and live the westcoast life. That's about it.

As per capacity of arena argument theres 14 NHL arenas with more capacity. Some of those would be bigger for maybe basketball, or other events, certainly not hockey. There would be no reason at all the Senators, Flames have bigger capacity rinks than Edmonton. Have to say even the Hawks numbers are shocking. I can just walk in there and get 60buck tickets, tons of them, for a 3 time SC winner. They were formerly thought of as one of the really great NHL markets. Right now its NY, Toronto, then Montreal and Edmonton, in that order.

Vancouver is a ticket buying joke compared to Edmonton. Always has been and for any entertainment. They don't support concerts as well per pollstar, don't support NHL as well and don't support CFL as well. They blow their load on real estate and live the westcoast life. That's about it.

As per capacity of arena argument theres 14 NHL arenas with more capacity. Some of those would be bigger for maybe basketball, or other events, certainly not hockey. There would be no reason at all the Senators, Flames have bigger capacity rinks than Edmonton. Have to say even the Hawks numbers are shocking. I can just walk in there and get 60buck tickets, tons of them, for a 3 time SC winner. They were formerly thought of as one of the really great NHL markets. Right now its NY, Toronto, then Montreal and Edmonton, in that order.
    Mind providing some stats/sourcing for your ticket prices other than anecdotal information? Sweeping statements in regards to supposed statistics is bad form - just saying.

Most studies I looked at show Chicago, Oilers, Toronto, Flames and Vancouver to be in at least the top 5 of the most expensive markets out there. Rangers drop out of the top 5, but are still in the top 10. http://blog.tiqiq.com/2016/10/2013-1...-prices-team/; https://www.teammarketing.com/public...20fci%2015.pdf.

Also, I paid no more than $80/ticket for the games I went to here in Edmonton, so cheap tickets can be had in our market, too.
    Last edited by Moodib; 11-04-2017 at 12:16 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

Mind providing some stats/sourcing for your ticket prices other than anecdotal information? Sweeping statements in regards to supposed statistics is bad form - just saying.

Most studies I looked at show Chicago, Oilers, Toronto, Flames and Vancouver to be in at least the top 5 of the most expensive markets out there. Rangers drop out of the top 5, but are still in the top 10. http://blog.tiqiq.com/2016/10/2013-1...-prices-team/; https://www.teammarketing.com/public...20fci%2015.pdf.

Also, I paid no more than $80/ticket for the games I went to here in Edmonton, so cheap tickets can be had in our market, too.

Even in the first link you provided Vancouver has dropped out. . How about as I've been posting what it actually costs to get in. Man, theres quite a few tickets to get into the Hawks playoff round at 60bucks.

Oilers pricing went up with the new building. Like I said in terms of STH ticket prices, playoffs, resales, etc I think Edmonton right now is up there and behind only Rangers, Leafs and Habs.

Even in 2014, in the Old rink, the Oilers were standing around 4th according to a similar source you noted. This for a club that hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Most teams in most pro sports would have trouble even selling tickets in that circumstance, let alone being a league leader.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...listed-1-to-30

This confirms what I was saying earlier that the Oilers playoff tickets are right up there. Oilers are 2nd only to the Leafs. Note that I was simply comparing lowest cost to get in, not average cost, in average, leafs are slightly higher, really by the slightest of margins. The graphic is pretty interesting.

https://tipofthetower.com/2017/04/11...ost-expensive/

ok. on to more important things. I'm a man of my word and Replacement I owe you 6 ciders. Happy to oblige and might even drink one. Only problem is I'm away this evening to Vegas til next week.(yep, putting
    $100 on the Oil to win it all). I'll PM you upon my return and we'll set something up. Congrats. (grrrrrr)
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    ok. on to more important things. I'm a man of my word and Replacement I owe you 6 ciders. Happy to oblige and might even drink one. Only problem is I'm away this evening to Vegas til next week.(yep, putting
    $100 on the Oil to win it all). I'll PM you upon my return and we'll set something up. Congrats. (grrrrrr)
    Thanks for being a stand up guy, thanks for the cider as well, heh, strongbow dry if possible

You're welcome to a couple of ciders.

enjoy Vegas.

After running my MythTV DVR since 2006-11-20 with "Edmonton Oilers" as a recording keyword I had a small WTF? moment this morning when I refreshed my recording schedule page and there were Oilers games queued to record. First time in its life that rule has been triggered past the regular season! Woohoo!

Just out of curiosity: where will the Connect2Edmonton Oilers fans be watching the playoffs? And where do you plan to head out to (for those who plan to do so) to drink in the celebratory atmosphere before and/or after?

That's a good question.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just out of curiosity: where will the Connect2Edmonton Oilers fans be watching the playoffs? And where do you plan to head out to (for those who plan to do so) to drink in the celebratory atmosphere before and/or after?
    Watching in my rec room man cave with a few others. HD surround sound and a stocked bar fridge all I need. Stocked with what I want it stocked with. Party in the mill hood. We keep it real here.

jk aside I get real serious about watching as people can tell and I'm that annoying guy that rewinds key plays and commentates...shudder.. like nobody knew that already, haha.

Friday we'll be downtown and luck of the draw we have Citadel tickets on an Oilers night. That's never happened in playoffs before.. so we'll be milling out and around and catching the score and check out 104 and area around the time the game is ending.

Whyte Ave for the first game somewhere. Probably at home for most of the others. We'll see what happens if they make it out of the first round. The significant other is in Europe right now - if the Oilers get more than 4 games - she will be back in time for game 5.

Game 5? You don't want to see the Oilers sweep San Jose

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

At home possibly with the same buddy that watched in '06 with me, although if they lose the first game we will definitely watch the next game together for sure. As the playoffs wore on it got to be that we had to sit in the same place for every game, etc.. etc.. Oh and we revived the old chant "Here we go Oilers, Here we go!" the one that Gretz, Mess, and the rest used to chant on the bench when they were just starting out their careers. Not sure when it got changed by the fans to "Lets Go Oilers, Lets Go! but I prefer the old one. Anyway, hopefully a deep run all the way to the Cup final again, although this time with a different result than last time.

C2E Posting Power

Came to this thread and see half the posts are one user nattering about nothing, per usual. Ignore is such a fantastic feature.

a) What do we all think of the concourse tickets? I think it is asinine. The building is already crammed, this will only make it worse for those of us who shelled out premium dollars.
    b) Sounded like they were going to shut down sections of the street and televise the game outside - true?
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

^ Is that the deal where I heard $80 per ticket and no view of the ice?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Poor Eichel, Draisaitl, by getting 2 points in his last game, knocked him out of top 10, and $2m. In fairness Eichel was injured for a chunk of the year. Also I guess this may have helped Draisaitl's bonus, but that depends on his contract:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...onus-1.4065113

A person with direct knowledge of Jack Eichel's contract confirms to The Associated Press the Buffalo Sabres forward missed out on collecting a $2 million performance bonus in his contract by a mere decimal point.

Eichel would have collected the bonus by finishing among the top 10 in the NHL in points per game, the person said Monday speaking on the condition of anonymity because the contract clause is not public.

Eichel had 57 points in 61 games to finish 11th by averaging 0.934 points per game. Edmonton's Leon Draisaitl edged him out by averaging 0.939 points per game with 77 points in 82 games. Draisaitl passed Eichel with a goal and assist in the Oilers' 5-2 season-ending win against Vancouver on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Yeah, this whole obsession with throwing gobs of money away on something people can view for free in either the comfort of their own home or in a quiet lounge where one isn't packed in like a rancid sardine with a bunch of drunken pi$$ flaps reeking of dragon breath and sour azz, reminds Top_Dawg of H.L. Mencken's famous observation.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

"WIN YOUR WAY IN"
    MOLSON HOCKEY HOUSE WATCH PARTY

Molson Hockey House will be expanded for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with 1,000 guest passes available for fans to watch playoff action from Ford Hall in Rogers Place.

Fans can access EdmontonOilers.com/watchparty to enter their name into a random draw for up to four guest passes to the Molson Hockey House Watch Party. The draw will close tomorrow, Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM MT.

Guest passes are complimentary, but only those with passes will have access to the Molson Hockey House Watch Party. All attendees must be 18 or older. Fans can experience the playoff atmosphere and enjoy a selection of Rogers Place food and beverage for purchase.

The Oilers are working with community partners to engage fans across the city and to access the Molson Hockey House Watch Party, including the Canadian Armed Forces, coaches and volunteers from minor hockey associations, downtown community groups and local businesses.

There is no access to Rogers Place from the watch party area. The watch party will be admitting pass holders on a first-come basis in stages, so there may be a waiting period outdoors, though everyone will be inside before the Oilers game begins.

Fans in attendance and across Oil Country are encouraged to wear orange and get loud.
    If you have any questions, please contact our Ticket Services Team at [email protected] or 780-414-GOAL (4625). Our office hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.

Let’s Go Oilers!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    Came to this thread and see half the posts are one user nattering about nothing, per usual. Ignore is such a fantastic feature.

a) What do we all think of the concourse tickets? I think it is asinine. The building is already crammed, this will only make it worse for those of us who shelled out premium dollars.
    b) Sounded like they were going to shut down sections of the street and televise the game outside - true?
    Don't like the concourse idea AT ALL.

Unsure, likely not... but awaiting confirmation. Anytime now guys.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Yeah, this whole obsession with throwing gobs of money away on something people can view for free in either the comfort of their own home or in a quiet lounge where one isn't packed in like a rancid sardine with a bunch of drunken pi$$ flaps reeking of dragon breath and sour azz, reminds Top_Dawg of H.L. Mencken's famous observation.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
    There must've been more than a few born every minute in this town if they're shelling out $80 for this scam. Mugs, to a man. Still, if it floats their boat . . . It's their dollar, I guess.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

United Center in Chicago features a ton of SRO tickets, more than 2k of them. Due to this the capacity of it is actually 22,500. Mainly due to it actually being standing. Which affords much more people a view than what they have done at Rogers with Drink rail seats.

The record attendance for hockey at UC has been 22,690. Concert record 23,500. SRO tickets are going for around 60bucks resale in Chicago for playoffs and you get the same belly bar some of Rexall had. You also get TV monitors to watch the replay and bars and washrooms close at hand. One of the best ways to watch a game. One of the odd things about Rexall is how much space they allocated to each fan. Way too much. You'd have to be 350lbs to need the space they demarked. Most rinks don't actually allocate you a spot to stand. Just go find a spot. That affords many more people getting in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKw7uRtv5mQ

So I don't see what the problem would be at Rogers admitting say 500 extra fans. The facility is big enough to handle it. There are not currently SRO tickets sold at Rogers. So this just makes sense that they would do this. Not sure either why people would go to top level. I would stay lower concourse and see some action from there.

tbh sounds like a few people that shelled out 400bucks might be a bit ****** that they could have had the 80 buck option. (not saying here, but a lot of people ****** at this) To me that's kind of unattractive. As many people as possible should be able to get in. Half the experience as I've stated is just being there. You get all the atmosphere, all the noise, excitement, its all there. People in seats don't get a good view in playoffs either. Its usually a bedlam of people standing all through the rink and waving shirts, towels etc. Those 80 buck buys make more sense than any seat in the house. Kudos for them allowing this.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-04-2017 at 10:04 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There will only be 200 concourse passes, hardly enough to "congest" things as some have stated.

I actually kind of get why a superfan would consider getting a concourse pass if he/she couldn't get tickets--you don't just love the game, you love the atmosphere, and the idea would be that you could get closer to that atmosphere by actually being in the building. I guess I think there will probably be plenty of that atmosphere on the streets, though (if 2006 is anything to go by).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There must've been more than a few born every minute in this town if they're shelling out $80 for this scam. Mugs, to a man. Still, if it floats their boat . . . It's their dollar, I guess.
    I think you got this one wrong Howie. Being not fixed to one particular seat and being free to wander and find vantage pts is possibly allowing a more consistent view of the action. People in seats in playoff games have extended periods where they see little of the action. People constantly standing, waving banners, flags, towels, cameras. The reality is that most of the seating in a playoff game affords a pretty continuously obstructed view. Its not like regular season where people just sit in their seats. It seems its been so long people don't even remember this. A few people laughed at me in the 97 Dallas series buying up SRO. As if standing throughout the game was any kind of hardship. I said everybody will be standing through much of the games anyway. The one born every is those paying 400 bucks for cramped nose bleed seating and not seeing much anyway with people standing and leaning over. In anycase its all arguably a scam. Pro entertainment is a devised system to separate people from their money.

I'm guessing a concourse pass wouldn't get you into a pal's corporate box, like the old Rexall standing room ones did? Those ones made sense for that reason. I think someone posted on here you need to be scanned to access the corporate box area now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I actually kind of get why a superfan would consider getting a concourse pass if he/she couldn't get tickets--you don't just love the game, you love the atmosphere, and the idea would be that you could get closer to that atmosphere by actually being in the building. I guess I think there will probably be plenty of that atmosphere on the streets, though (if 2006 is anything to go by).
    Yep. One of the best hockey experiences ever (and I've been there for two SC wins) was the Dallas series in 97 and particularly the 3 goal comeback win and the Bucky OT goal. As stated just being in the building was incredible. Even the intermission before the OT was nonstop bedlam. As if the Oilers had already won the game, the puck entering the net in OT was just confirmation of what people throughout the rink already felt. That electric feeling. That was felt anywyere. SRO, concourse, and sometimes even more of a partying atmosphere on the concourse. In that game I felt much more a part of the action being in SRO than in seats.

Doesn't matter where your seat is or if you have a seat. Getting in to the atmosphere is the thing. People will remember that and just like they had a seat.

All I'd want is many more young people that haven't had a chance of ever seeing playoffs getting in and getting to have an experience. Anybody opposed to that I'm not sure why.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    There will only be 200 concourse passes, hardly enough to "congest" things as some have stated.
    Main concourse only.
    www.decl.org

Lol. Probably because that is all they are allowed to do via fire code. I have no doubt that they would sell more if they were allowed to.

^yup, the precedent is the old standing room in Rexall. Always bugged me they didn't build a bigger arena given so much public funds went into, but its understandable the focus commercially was to just building the arena size that maximized overall profit (corporate seats, premium seats, etc.), rather than maximum access for regular folks.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^yup, the precedent is the old standing room in Rexall. Always bugged me they didn't build a bigger arena given so much public funds went into, but its understandable the focus commercially was to just building the arena size that maximized overall profit (corporate seats, premium seats, etc.), rather than maximum access for regular folks.
    Honestly, I'm surprised they don't set up screens in the community rink and pack people into there too. I imagine that would be meeting fire code.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Lol. Probably because that is all they are allowed to do via fire code. I have no doubt that they would sell more if they were allowed to.
    I doubt the fire code has anything to do with it as concerts with floor seating can be 20,500, well below an Oilers full house of 18,347.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm not in the know with these kinds of things but as I stated earlier the United Center in Chicago has anywhere from 2k-2.5k "SRO" tickets, a huge amount, and maxing that building out to around 22,600 for hockey. I don't know the logistics of it but is UC that much bigger or more assessable than Rogers? How much does the fire code take into account methods of egress, or is it also much different standards in different municipalities. One thing I could never figure out with this design is how reliant it is on very few escalators which typically break down in this climate. (people treading gravel, sand, slush on them) Is fire code infraction not impacted when the escaltors break down? Theres a lot of people with limited mobility that can't go down ten flights of stairs.

I doubt the fire code has anything to do with it as concerts with floor seating can be 20,500, well below an Oilers full house of 18,347.
    It does, actually. Someone on hfboards emailed their season tix rep and got a reply that it meets the fire code requirements.

The Oilers are a business. If they could make more money from these tickets, they would. It is the playoffs; they would push the limit as far as they can, and they should to generate as much revenue as possible.

$80 on beer at a pub is far better value for most people though.
    Last edited by Moodib; 12-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I see that there will be a road game viewing party at Rogers Place, tickets not on sale yet:

Oilers Orange Crush Road Game Watch Party

Sun, Apr 16, 2017 08:00 PM

Please Note: Net proceeds go to the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation.
    General public onsale starts in 1 Day (April 13 at 02:00 PM MDT)

Onsale Dates and Times
    • Advance Presale
      10:00 AM MDT
      Ends Thu, April 13, 2017 at 02:00 PM MDT
    • General public onsale
      02:00 PM MDT

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11...id=9#efeat4211
    Last edited by Hilman; 12-04-2017 at 11:47 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Prices for above are 5-20bucks in case anybody is wondering. I hope they have the choose your own seats option online. I much prefer that to the ticket generated "best option" I'll probably take this in, haven't had a chance to check out the arena since the open house. With the huge jumbo screen this is a pretty solid option. bars won't be too happy though but visually speaking this is much improved...

With the jumbo that huge size its a pretty attractive viewing option. This should sell well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

double posted

Why is tonight's game, on a weekday, an 8:00 start?

TV audience.

The prices for the away-game viewing are very reasonable.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just an update on resales. this is getting interesting. There are actually MORE tickets for sale (NHL resale) then there were earlier in the week. 825 are available. Basically only a few sold in the last hour. This is the day of the game. Perhaps asking 350-400 for the worst tickets in the house is bad form and a bad idea? I wonder how sharply the prices go down before gametime? Maybe these ticket sellers trying to scalp at outrageous prices are being met with few buyers. Also to note that earlier in the week zero tickets were going for under 400bucks. The bottom has dropped a modest 50 bucks to 350. This will be my guess, around 200 bucks by an hour before gametime.

Just to emphasise as well that MORE tickets being for sale now (there was 550 a week ago) means more people are succumbing to this sell tendency. A lot of those people will probably end up going to the game. The worse scenario is somebody assuming they will sell and don't..

Heres another prediction I made when this arena opened. That the few cheapest seats available would be by far the best value and with upper DRL probably being the best resale value in the house. This is holding true. There is hardly any difference in asking price for the upper bowl and lower bowl. For about 60bucks more you can buy a lower bowl seat resale. So basically as it sits 350 gets you in upper bowl, starting at 400 now gets you in lower bowl. From a supply and demand pov theres very few of the cheaper options. Skyloungs and SNlounge are the worst resales. Going as well sometimes for 400, only a bit more than any other seats AND theres a meal. Yet those tickets are prohibitively expensive Seasons seats. Those sellers aren't getting a lot of margin.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.

TV audience.
    Folks out east are going to watch this 10:00 start?

Friday's game is an 8:30 start.

C2E Continued Contributor

^It's gonna be painful as an Eastern Time zone person.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Skylounge resales. lol. Original list 379bucks for first round. People asking for as low as 430. 50 buck markup and a meal and lounge and everything.

Meanwhile regular upper bowl, as low as 80bucks ticket price going for anywhere from 350-400. Hundreds of dollars mark up.

its interesting how little appeal the Sky lounge and Sports lounge seats have. I always wondered about that and also that behind net is a poorer vantage point. people paying the moon for very little benefit there.

I sat in a theatre box seat for a couple of games this year and didn't mind the vantage point from the end of the rink at all.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Between goals and bluelines are the best vantage pts. This arena was poorly designed when it comes to hockey, which is strange.

Rexall seating layout was far superior in that it emphasized between the goals seating.

Ticket prices going down as predicted. hitting 300 bucks range now. sellers starting to get itchy feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    TV audience.

Folks out east hardly know we exist, they'll be sleeping with visions of sugar plumbs and the Leafs winning the cup. They could give a rats azz about us.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-04-2017 at 12:54 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    TV audience.

Folks out east hardly know we exist, they'll be sleeping with visions of sugar plumbs and the Leafs winning the cup. They could give a rats azz about us.
    Exactly. As if Center of the universe Leafs fans stay up to watch the Oilers. Its an after thought. Yet we get these strange start times to accommodate people who don't watch.

That said its preferable to live in WC being a sports fan. Get hockey from 5 - whenever if you want it.

And no Quebeckers will be watching because the broadcast is in English. They will be dreaming in red white and blue by then too.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If you have ever been to tsn.ca, you would wonder if there were any teams outside of the Laughs, dam is it nauseating!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast