Thread: Once legal - will you smoke or consume marijuana?

Default Once legal - will you smoke or consume marijuana?

Will legalization mean that you will be willing to try it?

C2E Long Term Contributor

I am investing in Doritos.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^With the number of food pictures and restaurant references you post I don't think you'd be buying them to "hold" for long.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Never smoked anything and don't plan on consuming it in any other form either.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I had a long hard road just to quit smoking tobacco, don't want to be smoking anything ever again.
    Consuming MJ by other means - if any of the health benefits are actually true and not just some hocus pocus placebo then maybe.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Marijuana smoke smells far worse than tobacco smoke ever did, and is just as detrimental to ones health as unfiltered cigarettes. I spent four years trying to quit cigarettes. Taking up pot smoking offers no benefit for me.
    Last edited by Darkwalker; 14-04-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: brevity
    Non semper erit aestas

C2E Hard Core Contributor

No chance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, I fear the carnage from smoking and driving with the police having a hard time determining how high they are. I believe this decision will go up in smoke.....

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ I don't know how much of a problem stoned driving will be. Anecdotally, it seems to be less likely than alcohol to make the user think they can do things they shouldn't (like drive while intoxicated).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwalker View Post
    Marijuana smoke smells far worse than tobacco smoke ever did, and is just as detrimental to ones health as unfiltered cigarettes. I spent four years trying to quit cigarettes. Taking up pot smoking offers no benefit for me.
    I disagree. I can't stand cigarette smoke, but low concentrations of marijuana smoke aren't so bad (though both are equally nasty in high concentrations). Health wise, the biggest difference is that almost nobody smokes a dozen or more joints a day - something that is quite common among tobacco users.

As for whether I will try it, I am not a fan of the feeling of being intoxicated, so probably not.

No, but I'm glad it's happening.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

No, unless diagnosed with a condition that it will actually help.
    There can only be one.

No. I might, however, buy a pack and just keep it in its shrink-wrap as a souvenir.

Would not go out of my way to buy it but would not be opposed if it was being passed around. I think it would be good fun sitting around a campfire and shooting the breeze.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Perhaps in moderation. Once in a rare while. I never liked either the aspect of supporting crime, dealing with anybody selling, not knowing what you get. Its hard to say because the aspect that was unpleasant was it being illegal. As long as its illegal its not victimless to support the industry and that's how I've approached it philosophically.

If marijuana sales here becomes a marketable cornucopia including such products as nice fragrant hash or oil(they mentioned oil but not hash) then I perhaps indulge occasionally. If they're selling some govt produced standard skunkweed for 100bucks a dimebag then forget it. As a gardener that likes to grow own food the aspect that is most attractive in these proposals is grow your own plants up to 4 and if seed availability was diverse I probably would look into that, and not consider it much different than brewing my own cider, beer, wine, all of which I've done. Which I do basically for friends/family. That's always been my philosophy. I have all kinds of stuff in the beer fridge, in the rec room bar, and a lot of it I don't even have for me, just for guests. Marijuana is the same thing. Guests want to toke, its there. Just to be hospitable.

The one thing that is odd is that they say 4 plants max per household, but not more than a metre high. I'm not too familiar but the plants like to get higher than that from what I know and I think they bud more at something more like 4-6ft high and that that is general maturity size. I could be wrong on that and I guess it depends on varietals like anything else but I couldn't understand the metre high stipulation. Also, and this probably isn't looked at, for those growing outside, once established Marijuana might grow more like weeds. There could conceivably be cases where people have more plants because the plants are capable of generating on their own in reasonable conditions. The herbs, parsley and oregano in the garden might look interesting, just saying..

jk aside the grow your own stipulation should probably occur in a locked green house. (Don't allow it indoors due to home humidity problems and don't allow it in garden or outside in planters.) i'm not sure what these legislators are gonna be thinking but allowing people to grow their own is going to be fraught with some problems and for one teens, or older deciding to um, partake in your garden. Myself, it would be in a locked green house and hidden behind the giant sized mutant tomatoes we seem to be good at growing. I really think any planning to this stage is half baked to excuse the pun, and a lot of people legislating as per usual probably little common sense involved.

Last comment. The 4 plants rule is a token amount. Colorado allowed patients to grow as many as 99 and afairc other people to grow 12-24 plants. Albeit they are reducing these limits. The reason this is significant, as any gardener knows, is you generally grow more plants than you need of anything you're growing due to some plants not making it due to any number of reasons. So that starting out with 4 plants doesn't mean you end up with 4 healthy plants that actually survive. Especially if growing from seed. You would sow a couple dozen, and hope for some of them to make it. Theres going to be so much grey area. That's why I think they end up NOT allowing people to grow any. I would be amazed if that part is allowed. I think it should be, but with conditions.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-04-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Probably not till I get closer to retirement, still have to be on my game for work. I just hope that JT and people understand that this may cause issues for people trying to enter the US. If CBP asks if you have ever smoked weed, and you answer yes, then you can be denied entry to the US.

^1. Why would anyone say "yes"?

2. Why would anyone want to go to the USA?

Nope, I didn't when it was fashionable in the '60s and I have no intention of starting now.

I've never tried it and never will. No interest on my end of things.

I have no immediate plans to consume marijuana for recreation, but I'm not opposed to for others. I may consider edibles or vaping for medicine as age catches further up with me. I will never smoke it, as smoking is what killed my maternal grandfather. Incidentally, Public Health England has gotten fully behind vaping, stating in a report that vaping is 95% safer then smoking, and are fully backing vaping to get people off of smoking, according to the CBC Fifth Estate Documentary below (this link will take you to the right spot ):
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fifth Estate

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwalker View Post
    While I'm no fan of marijuana fumes, tobacco smoke smells far awful, and the remnants of the smell on people's clothes on an elevator even worse. It makes me gag. They should have a separate elevator for the smokers as third hand smoke/dust is absolutely terrible for you.

A main misconception to the smell of marijuana and tobacco being so awful is that most people interact with the poorest of qualities. High end tobacco, and in its arrangement of mixtures or blends, can smell pleasant (or merely much better than regular tobacco) to avid non-smokers, both while being smoked and on one's person afterwards. Some smells of Sweet Grass, coconut, honey, or raisin, depending on the leaves and the blend. The same can be said for marijuana, where the smell of bad weed is horrible. There are many strains and grades of marijuana that the general non-smoking public does not interact with, and is bought from the more "business" style dealers, or medical marijuana. The smell of this higher quality pot lingers less in a room, on clothes, and has a less noxious miasma outdoors. It's the same one can say for alcohols... gut rot vs. high end, or cigars. I believe in the years after legalization, many misconceptions about the drug will change, and the overall quality will improve. Only time can tell.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    A main misconception to the smell of marijuana and tobacco being so awful is that most people interact with the poorest of qualities. High end tobacco, and in its arrangement of mixtures or blends, can smell pleasant (or merely much better than regular tobacco) to avid non-smokers, both while being smoked and on one's person afterwards. Some smells of Sweet Grass, coconut, honey, or raisin, depending on the leaves and the blend. The same can be said for marijuana, where the smell of bad weed is horrible. There are many strains and grades of marijuana that the general non-smoking public does not interact with, and is bought from the more "business" style dealers, or medical marijuana. The smell of this higher quality pot lingers less in a room, on clothes, and has a less noxious miasma outdoors. It's the same one can say for alcohols... gut rot vs. high end, or cigars. I believe in the years after legalization, many misconceptions about the drug will change, and the overall quality will improve. Only time can tell.
    How to Live With a Smoker Without Smelling Like One
    Andrew Tarantola
    excerpt:

Stale tobacco smell. It clings to clothing, permeates wall paint, saturates upholstery, and brands everything it touches with that unmistakable scent. Here's how to keep from smelling like an ashtray just because your roommate won't show the common courtesy of cracking a window. ...

So there you have it. Just because you live with a smoker doesn't mean you have to live with his or her stench. ...

http://gizmodo.com/5978424/how-to-li...lling-like-one

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I have no immediate plans to consume marijuana for recreation, but I'm not opposed to for others. I may consider edibles or vaping for medicine as age catches further up with me. I will never smoke it, as smoking is what killed my maternal grandfather. Incidentally, Public Health England has gotten fully behind vaping, stating in a report that vaping is 95% safer then smoking, and are fully backing vaping to get people off of smoking, according to the CBC Fifth Estate Documentary below (this link will take you to the right spot ):
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fifth Estate
    Excellent show, well worth watching.

I'm just happy that cigarette butt pollution should disappear from our streets and sidewalks !!!!!!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib
    They should have a separate elevator for the smokers as third hand smoke/dust is absolutely terrible for you.

No, it isn't. People need to dial the hysteria about tobacco smoke back a bit. Long term, sustained exposure to it is certainly bad for you. Think of a bartender or waitress back in the days when you could smoke in lounges. They'd have been exposed to that 8 hours a day, and in extremely high concentrations. Catching a whiff outside at a park from someone smoking 20' away or smelling someone in an elevator who just butted outside? Zero health consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodib
    They should have a separate elevator for the smokers as third hand smoke/dust is absolutely terrible for you.

No, it isn't. People need to dial the hysteria about tobacco smoke back a bit. Long term, sustained exposure to it is certainly bad for you. Think of a bartender or waitress back in the days when you could smoke in lounges. They'd have been exposed to that 8 hours a day, and in extremely high concentrations. Catching a whiff outside at a park from someone smoking 20' away or smelling someone in an elevator who just butted outside? Zero health consequence.
    As an asthmatic with allergies, smoke always did me in. I even joined and donated to the Non-smokers' Rights Association. That said, yes, the anti-smoking agenda has reached the nonsensical stage. Yes, get people to stop smoking but lay off on the nonsense that they are doing harm to others by smoking outdoors.

Outdoors, I suffer far, far more from diesel bus fumes*, camp fires, etc that from walking past anyone smoking. Ban campfires in campgrounds if you really care about health.

* on diesel buses - they passed an anti-idling bylaw but exempted school buses - so it's ok that pollution spewing diesel buses sit idling while small children gather in the fumes to board such buses and disembark daily amongst anywhere from one to ten idling pollution spewing buses parked along their sidewalks. In other words? Move on- smokers in public is a non issue and there are far worse threats. Ban idling school buses where students are present. Make school boards require electric school buses...,
    Last edited by KC; 20-04-2017 at 09:14 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Obviously, people with health conditions, allergies etc can be bothered by even minute amounts of smoke and I should have mentioned that.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The government of South Korea requires people on my visa to take a drug test from time to time. I used to think it was annual, but I haven't had to do one for several years. Not sure if that's because of government incompetence, or because the laws have changed.

Either way, I am unlikely to indulge even in the event of legalization, because I don't want to take the chance that the government has simply forgotten to test me the past few years, and will decide to rectify that oversight; or that the law HAS been changed but might be changed again at some point in the future.