Thread: 50 Street rail crossing

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Default 50 Street rail crossing

Edmonton drivers rejoice after Alberta budget promises to axe at-grade 50 Street rail crossing

An item included in the Alberta government’s 2017 budget sparked joy and relief from many Edmonton drivers and cyclists Thursday.

It didn’t include many details, but the province said it will eliminate the at-grade rail crossing at 50 Street in Edmonton.

No dollar figure for the project was released.

Edmonton’s mayor thinks the mention in the budget means the province will work with the city to access new federal dollars.
    More:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3317986/ed...rail-crossing/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I think it will be great to see this bridge being built, especially when there's traffic stopped as far as the Sherwood Park Freeway when a train crosses at 20 km/hr.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

And so what about 99st debacle,or 91 st. The same line runs past both. What amazes me is how inept in planning this city is.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

C2E SME

I think trains are slower at 50 Street because they pull out of a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Correct. The area in question is called the lead. It is used to pull cars out from one track and into another. Which begs the question, why this city knowing this was a going to be a huge problem,would not have constructed the underpass at that time?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    And so what about 99st debacle,or 91 st. The same line runs past both. What amazes me is how inept in planning this city is.
    You forgot 75th St., too. The 50th St. crossing is the worst, though. When I used to use 50th on a daily basis, I've sat there on occasion while a train crept forward a 100 yards, stopped for a few minutes while some switching went on and then reversed a bit. Then, out of the goodness of the engineer's heart I was sure, cleared the crossing and then repeated the procedure.

Bring on the bridge.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    You forgot 75th St., too. The 50th St. crossing is the worst, though. When I used to use 50th on a daily basis, I've sat there on occasion while a train crept forward a 100 yards, stopped for a few minutes while some switching went on and then reversed a bit. Then, out of the goodness of the engineer's heart I was sure, cleared the crossing and then repeated the procedure.

Bring on the bridge.
    Absolutely. Way too long for this not to be.....

Correct. The area in question is called the lead. It is used to pull cars out from one track and into another. Which begs the question, why this city knowing this was a going to be a huge problem,would not have constructed the underpass at that time?
    The yard and the 50th street railway crossing has been there since....as long as I can remember. It has to be at least 50 years or older.

Back then the Whitemud freeway did not extend that far east. Anywhere south of the Sherwood Park freeway was scattered industries and farmland. There was definitely no residential or commercial properties along 50th street until you reached the Capilano area.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Last one in pays for the crossing.

If the road was there first, the railways pays for the crossing.
    If the railway was there first, the road authority pays.

C2E SME

I imagine part of the challenge was the Henday construction.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    The yard and the 50th street railway crossing has been there since....as long as I can remember. It has to be at least 50 years or older.

Back then the Whitemud freeway did not extend that far east. Anywhere south of the Sherwood Park freeway was scattered industries and farmland. There was definitely no residential or commercial properties along 50th street until you reached the Capilano area.
    Yeah, the thing is that even 50 years ago, and I'm sure the railway line was there well before that, the City should've had enough nous to see the expansion that would come - that's what planners are for. There are still enough rail crossings in this city to brand it as a 'hicksville'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

About the only rail crossing at the CN line in North Edmonton is 149 Street (66 Street is no longer active). CP has rail crossings at 50, 75, 86, 91 and 99 Street, along with others at Ellerslie Road, 34 and 51 Avenue. I think the city will be eliminating the rail spur west of 142 Street on the Yellowhead.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Old grumpy people complaining about something. Amazing!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Yeah, the thing is that even 50 years ago, and I'm sure the railway line was there well before that, the City should've had enough nous to see the expansion that would come - that's what planners are for. There are still enough rail crossings in this city to brand it as a 'hicksville'.
    Planning and implementing are very different things.

Plans may have very well existed for such an over / underpass (just as they obviously left enough room in the medians / boulevards to widen 50th street in the future).

Implementing depends on $$$. Not to say that shouldn't have happened 20-30 years ago, but this is a province where voters have tended to think of their wallets rather than the infrastructure needs of the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Old grumpy people complaining about something. Amazing!
    People get older and grumpier waiting for endless trains shuttling back and forth...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^^ Yup, right on.
    ^
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

I wonder if 50 Street could be upgraded to be the east leg of the outer ring road for Edmonton (I'm aware of 75 Street, but how long would land acquisition be).

The city should upgrade 34th street first so it can take some of the detour traffic. The 50th street traffic caused from this construction will be mind-boggling. It was horrendous last year when they had the overpass on Sherwood park freeway down to one lane each direction during the bridge deck rehab.

75th Street isn't much better with LRT construction just beginning to ramp up...expect 3-4 years of construction there.

Then again...I'm moving more central come this summer so I don't ever need to take 50th again.

About the only rail crossing at the CN line in North Edmonton is 149 Street (66 Street is no longer active). CP has rail crossings at 50, 75, 86, 91 and 99 Street, along with others at Ellerslie Road, 34 and 51 Avenue. I think the city will be eliminating the rail spur west of 142 Street on the Yellowhead.
    CN has a level crossing on 170 St. as well. There's a line that goes from the north end of the Multi-modal yard back to the mainline near 156 St. That one is a pain.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    The city should upgrade 34th street first so it can take some of the detour traffic. The 50th street traffic caused from this construction will be mind-boggling. It was horrendous last year when they had the overpass on Sherwood park freeway down to one lane each direction during the bridge deck rehab.
    I was happy the day I stopped working at a business that was on 34th street. Always such a disaster at rush hour. I was actually wondering what happened to plans to upgrade it. I know the city did a planning study on "urbanizing" it a few years ago, but doesn't seem like it's gone anywhere since.

Though part of 34th street is on the boarder with Strathcona Country, so it wouldn't suprise me if coordinating the funding is a disaster.

I think the city will be eliminating the rail spur west of 142 Street on the Yellowhead.
    That is entirely up to the railway. Not the city.

Correct. And the railways have federal jurisdiction.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.