Thread: Edmonton City Population is 932,546 - 2016 Census

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton City Population is 932,546 - 2016 Census

The 2016 Census results show that the City's population increased by 120,345 since 2011, a growth rate of 14.8%. For the first time I can recall, the City's growth rate exceeded that of the CMA as a whole (13.9%).

This compares to a population of 899,447 found in the 2016 municipal census done during the same time frame. While it is normal for the population count in a mandatory federal census to be higher than that of a voluntary municipal census, the amount of the difference is surprising.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...B1=All&TABID=1

It also looks like Edmonton's CMA should outpace Ottawa within the next year to become the fifth biggest.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Would love to see the city hit 1M proper. Any projections as to when?

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    It also looks like Edmonton's CMA should outpace Ottawa within the next year to become the fifth biggest.
    Well, Statscan CMA estimates already have Edmonton's CMA over Ottawa's since 2014. The estimates are considered more accurate in terms of total population than the census due to its inherent and sometimes disproportionate undercounts. What could conceivably occur with the current economic slowdown in Alberta is that Ottawa might surpass Edmonton again.

What would explain the disproportionate undercounts in the census compared to the estimates? A younger and more transient population out here?

I'm not sure if Ottawa would surpass Edmonton in growth level. Even if the growth rate cuts in half here, it would still be higher than Ottawa's.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Edmonton would have been the fifth largest CMA in 2016 except that the Ottawa-Gatineau CMA boundaries were expanded to incorporate a few more outlying communities between the 2016 and 2011 censuses, whereas the Edmonton CMA boundaries remained the same. Until now, the CMA population estimates are based on the 2011 boundaries.

The total population of these additional communities was a relatively modest 20,000 or so, but just enough to allow Ottawa-Gatineau to just squeeze out Edmonton for fifth largest CMA.

I tend to not look at Ottawa's numbers too critically - mostly because their amalgamated area is about 4x larger than area of Edmonton (its like making Legal part of Edmonton). And there's not much point of looking at cities alone (Edmonton is larger than Vancouver...) CMA is the way to go and I think Edmonton CMA will be 5th very soon.

On another note, Edmonton's CMA is larger than the population of SK and tied with MB.

Edmonton CMA: 9,426.73 sq km

Ottawa CMA: 6,287.03 sq km

(2011 figures quoted, so this doesn't cover the changes East McCauley mentioned, but I don't think they were a +50% increase.)

E: And FWIW, Legal actually is part of the Edmonton CMA.
    Last edited by noodle; 08-02-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E SME

My guess for 1 M is sometime in 2019.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.