Thread: What is a: liberal, conservative, left wing, right wing, elitist, snowflake...

Default What is a: liberal, conservative, left wing, right wing, elitist, snowflake...

These terms are thrown around adnauseum and people have incredibly hardened views about the terms and the people they see in those terms. So, what the heck do they mean? They seem so fuzzy to me as essentially useless labels but I guess I just don't know or understand their definitions.

I usually avoid using the terms because I tend to see people's beliefs laying on multiple intersecting spectrums (and some non-intersecting spectrums too) instructing sod trims).

So, what the hell is a liberal, a conservative...?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i think the edges between them are quite blurry in real life regardless of the rhetoric used by all. having said that, i think i'm leaning strongly wanting to be identified as an elitist snowflake.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I'm just gonna say that, as far as I can tell, "snowflake" as a political term is used to mean supposedly narcissitic Millenials who are drawn to left-wing politics as a means of protecting their emotional well-being.

Eg. "Aww, does my Zulu Warrior Halloween costume offend you? Well, why don't you just launch a complaint to the human-rights commission, you precious little snowflake."

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    useless labels
    this

edit: to add, the labels are meant to be demeaning in most contexts used.

Re labels:

Merely grown adults acting like schoolchildren. Remarkable how the internet has bought out the nasty side of humanity.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I'm just gonna say that, as far as I can tell, "snowflake" as a political term is used to mean supposedly narcissitic Millenials who are drawn to left-wing politics as a means of protecting their emotional well-being.

Eg. "Aww, does my Zulu Warrior Halloween costume offend you? Well, why don't you just launch a complaint to the human-rights commission, you precious little snowflake."
    are you saying i'm too old to be an elitist snowflake?

Liberals tend to be snowflakes. Pouty, effeminate, needy, whiny, generally bad losers all round, want to always be right to make up for their lack of smarts. Conservatives are snowballs. Packed hard, get the job done, no messing around, anything but needy, loyal to their cause, take no B.S. laugh at the libs pathetic moaning.
    Apart from that everyone seems to just get along fine.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^Apart from perhaps effeminate, your description of Liberals otherwise fits Donald Trump to a tee. Pouty, needy, whiny, generally bad loser all around, wants to always be right to make up for his lack of smarts. Snowflake Trump.

^You could point that right back at the Hilary crowd and it would fit them perfectly.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

In the US, labels are for people with arguments you can't or won't mentally process.

In Canada, they refer to party members.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Fiscally speaking,

Liberal elites are those who vote against their own short term (tax cuts!) Self interest out of a combination of noblesse oblige and delayed gratification decision making.

Working class conservatives are those who vote against their own short-term self interest (social safety net!) Based on delayed gratification decision making that will totally pay off when they win the lottery and/or trickle-down finally works out.
    There can only be one.

After opening the last page of the trump thread, I was expecting to see another meme war. Guess it's still too early for that in this thread?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Here is an example of elitist liberal attitude:

I was at planet organic this morning. I was in line to pay. The cashier, another employee and the customer in front of me were discussing the super bowl. The cashier was mentioning that "she was disappointed that Trump's team won". The customer mentioned that it was the Patriots. Cashier, in a very indignant manner: "yeah, Trump's favourite team". Customer "they also have millions of regular fans". Cashier: eye roll.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

never too early for a meme war...

courtesy of snowflake.com:

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Fiscally speaking,

Liberal elites are those who vote against their own short term (tax cuts!) Self interest out of a combination of noblesse oblige and delayed gratification decision making.

Working class conservatives are those who vote against their own short-term self interest (social safety net!) Based on delayed gratification decision making that will totally pay off when they win the lottery and/or trickle-down finally works out.
    1000 internets to Christopher Lambert!

did you know a snowflake can't form on its own? the water molecules need to first find something in the air to freeze to first. Pollution. All snowflakes come from some sort of pollution in the air., be it forest fire smoke, volanic ash, or little annoying single cell organisms (ones that are unable to form their own opinion, and need to be told what to think) (trump supporters) floating in the air.
    Last edited by Medwards; 06-02-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

I was at planet organic this morning. I was in line to pay. The cashier, another employee and the customer in front of me were discussing the super bowl. The cashier was mentioning that "she was disappointed that Trump's team won". The customer mentioned that it was the Patriots. Cashier, in a very indignant manner: "yeah, Trump's favourite team". Customer "they also have millions of regular fans". Cashier: eye roll.
    Do you also have any examples of silly or stupid behavior by Trump supporters to share with us, or are you blind to that? I don't believe any political party has a monopoly on good behavior - there are good people and bad people in every political party and movement.

I don't think we will make any progress as a society if we debate on the level of "Joe beats his dog and he voted for Party X, therefore Party X is bad". Quite frankly it doesn't much matter what Joe does or says - the behavior of the party leaders and what they condone or encourage is far more important.

I do agree it is silly to try and inject politics into sport teams and events, but it is equally silly to use it as some sort of stereotypical condemnation of liberals. Unfortunately, silliness seems to be an epidemic these days and it infects all parties.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    did you know a snowflake can't form on its own? the water molecules need to first find something in the air to freeze to first. Pollution. All snowflakes come from some sort of pollution in the air., be it forest fire smoke, volanic ash, or little annoying single cell organisms (trump supporters) floating in the air.
    i did - although "pollution" in that sense isn't completely accurate in the way we apply that term today. it's a word that currently applies to things that don't belong or that aren't naturally occurring. those particles could just as easily be sand from the sahara or gobi deserts or volcanic ash from krakatoa or mount st. helen's or plant pollen all which can circulate in the atmosphere for generations and are an integral part of the biosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

I don't see what makes this elitist, unless the eye roll is being interpreted as condescension.

Petty, probably. Ignorant, possibly. Tribalist? Maybe.

If the elites are the ones working the till then maybe times are tougher than I thought.
    There can only be one.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Not blind, just no examples to share. I am sure there are plenty.

People can be mean. In the current political climate I think most Trump supporters probably keep quiet out in public as they don't need the condescending lecture.

I am a huge sports fan, we have season tickets for the Oilers, Eskimos and FC. If Premier Notley or JT, both of whom I don't support, came out and expressed allegiance to any of those teams, I would not be bothered. I would not even mention it to anyone.

I am going to assume the cashier was not really an NFL fan but saw an opportunity to disparage Trump.