Thread: New ad campaign for US businesses?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Default New ad campaign for US businesses?

Saw this on Brad Ferguson's twitter

https://twitter.com/EEDC_BRAD/status/825476942522630146

Brad Ferguson ‏@EEDC_BRAD

Look North. We can have you up and running within 48 hours. #WelcomeToCanada #AlwaysWelcom #YEG
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Interesting. I hope they're actively pursuing US companies rather than just putting some mediocre ad with poor typeface on twitter.

Yeah, the sentiment is lovely but the graphic design & copy looks like a 2nd year design student at MacEwan's mid-year project, not the actual product of a major city's branding efforts.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Trump-eting Edmonton's virtues in a time of uncertainty
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...of-uncertainty

Ferguson created the ad himself. No marketing department. No ad agency. No focus groups.

“It was a very quick decision. I just felt it was something we needed to do,” he says. “I didn’t look at it as opportunism. We just wanted to be present, to be part of the conversation.”
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Bandwidth Hog

More from the article:

that one tweet, says Ferguson, led to 15 inquiries to EEDC, including one from a San Francisco-based tech company. Three of their programmers, says Ferguson, were Iranian citizens, working in California on H-1B American visas, the so-called “genius visas” issued to highly skilled specialized workers. They’d had been in Tokyo on business, and were now barred from re-entering the US. Ferguson says the EEDC is now following up on eight solid leads. And yes. He’s serious about that 48-hour promise, at least in some cases.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I don't see what is so bad about the ad. It may not be perfect, but it is simple and readable (isn't that the most important criterion for choice of font?) and gets the point across.

At least the guy got right onto it and put the ad out. Pretty quick thinking.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain