Thread: Gold's Gym closes 2 of 3 Edm locations

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Gold's Gym closes 2 of 3 Edm locations

A longtime tenant of West Edmonton Mall, Gold’s Gym has shut that facility down, along with its North Town Centre location, leaving just one franchise in the city at Westmount Mall.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/golds-gym-closes-two-of-three-edmonton-locations
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

^that's sad for them, especially at high season like this. I think its a tough time for any business that is doing something that is "discretionary" right now, a lot of people have too much credit card debt, or have lost jobs, or concerned at losing jobs.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^that's sad for them, especially at high season like this. I think its a tough time for any business that is doing something that is "discretionary" right now, a lot of people have too much credit card debt, or have lost jobs, or concerned at losing jobs.
    "High season?" Not sure how that relates to a gym business. Don't think the economy has anything to do with this - $10.00/month is dirt cheap. Think it has more to do with a crappy, douche-baggery product. I go to Leduc Rec - and it's always packed and costs a lot more than $10.00/month.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    "High season?" Not sure how that relates to a gym business. Don't think the economy has anything to do with this - $10.00/month is dirt cheap. Think it has more to do with a crappy, douche-baggery product. I go to Leduc Rec - and it's always packed and costs a lot more than $10.00/month.
    A victim of the carbon tax for sure.

They were closed before Christmas. This is quite old news. I see a pile of people from North Town at the LA Fitness in Albany, where I picked up a new membership.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Every Gym I have gone to always sells a ton of memberships at the start of the year following New Years (its always packed, which can be a pain for regulars who are there all year, as most new members don't last). I have also read that this is when most Gyms make the bulk of their money for the year, straight after New Years, its certainly when they do the biggest advertising. Maybe Golds, with its more "hardcore" model is different - month to month, but I'm sure they still get more members in January and February showing up than other months. If you are going to close a gym, I would have thought the time to do it is about March or April when sadly most of the fatties/lazies start giving up.
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-01-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Based on comments on reddit a month ago, those locations were still selling memberships the day before closure.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Gold's reputation isn't exactly stellar. Heard too many horror stories about this place.
    In any case they couldn't really compete with World Health and the plethora of other gyms in this city.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^are there any gyms with a stellar reputation? I had a hell of a time with a World's health membership years ago (never again). Golds always had the Arnie / hardcore image to keep them going as opposed to the more upmarket Worlds Health, but I am guessing they are feeling the heat from some of the 24 hour gyms.

I had a membership with World Health. It was pretty clear cut. When I wanted to terminate, I just needed to give a month advance warning. Just gotta read the contract. But each location can be different - which is the problem as there is no consistency and some locations have shadier practices.

The most hassle free gyms are the City Rec centres and the YMCA but you get a much different crowd in those areas and prices are much more steeper.

With all these boot camp style "gyms" popping up I'm sure that's eating into some of these gym's revenue as well. Maybe not so much Gold's as much, but still a small bite in revenues.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Never had too much problem with World Health club and I've been a member since Club Fit. World health even honored the bought in lower rates I had at Club fit. They probably could have been more difficult about that but didn't want to rankle customers they already had. They were reasonably accommodating in the change over. Other Gyms just close over night and keep your payments. As seems to be the case with Golds.

As far as Golds Gym locations in malls, albeit convenient, just seem like a strange idea to me plus that the ventilation in these places doesn't seem to be too good, the facility pays higher overhead to be in the mall, and the Mall stinks like an old locker room in immediate vicinity of the Gym. My humorous take on Golds is the atmosphere, dress code, posing around there seemed to evoke the cheesiest 70's 80's gym stereotypes. Although I just did with that..

Goodlife seems even worse. the location at MWTC, you just want to avoid using that mall entrance. Its like sticking your head in a ripening hockey bag and breathing deep. Been in there on a trial and the air quality inside seems pretty stuffy as well. When you substitute one use, a store, with an aerobic facility/gym that requires more ventilation/oxygen naturally I wonder how much refitting goes on to have sufficient ventilation, air circulation in the facility.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-01-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

According to a friend who has worked as a trainer for various gyms over the years, at world health, only 3% of their membership use the facility more than once a month.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not surprised by that at all. The entire business model of gyms is sort of upside down. You want to see your customers as little as possible.