Thread: Leduc County to be home to 'world's largest' legal marijuana grow op

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Leduc County to be home to 'world's largest' legal marijuana grow op

Aurora is building a 800,000-sq.-ft. production facility — larger than 16 football fields — on 30 acres of leased land in the county.
    The company boasts "Aurora Sky" will be the largest, most advanced and most automated cannabis production facility in the world, capable of producing in excess of 100,000 kilograms of high quality marijuana per year.
    Construction of the facility's pre-engineered structure is now underway in the Netherlands, the company said.
    The company expects the greenhouse facility to be completed by October 2017.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/aurora-sky-medical-marijuana-leduc-county-1.3877084
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hicks on Biz: Oil on decline but pot is hot

Graham Hicks BY GRAHAM HICKS
    FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, AUGUST 24, 2017

An industry is being born around Edmonton that will, ever so slightly, offset the decline of Alberta’s oil, natural gas and coal sectors.

Marijuana!

The fast-approaching legalization of recreational pot, plus the now-legal production of medical marijuana, will create a Canada-wide industry every bit as big as booze is today.

Greater Edmonton, thanks mostly to the Aurora Cannabis Company’s massive indoor marijuana farm being built out by the Edmonton International Airport, is about to become a major centre of the new, legal, Canadian cannabis industry.

It’s not just about getting high. Medical marijuana has a big market, both domestic and international.

Hemp – essentially marijuana without the buzz – is coming into its own with dozens of non-recreational uses. Edmonton has a thriving hemp industry.

Here are some of the immediate economic benefits flowing into our city and region.

Now publicly traded on the TSX, with shares collectively worth a billion bucks, Aurora Cannabis Inc. is spending $100 million building Aurora Sky. This 800,000 sq.-ft. marijuana greenhouse will be one of world’s biggest (legal) pot operations. Once operational, it will employ 300 skilled bio-technicians and have its own research laboratories.

Canopy Growth – another major Canadian cannabis company – is opening a 160,000 sq.-ft. growing facility in the Morris Industrial Park in southeast Edmonton.

Canadian Rockies Agriculture wants to build a nine-building marijuana facility in Strathcona County near Josephburg.

Acreage Pharms already has a 6,700 sq.-ft. indoor marijuana greenhouse at Peers, about 20 km west of Edson off Hwy. 16, with plans to expand to 240,000 sq. ft.

All this pot is creating a torrent of ancillary economic activity.

Edmonton’s Radient Technologies – extracting chemical compounds from plants through a unique patented process – will make marijuana oil for Aurora.

Aurora likes Radient’s potential, so much so that Aurora is taking a 17 per cent ownership position in Radient.

Because of Aurora, Radient is growing from four bio-chemists and lab technicians to 26 by the end of the year. Radient’s marijuana oil extraction technology is top notch. International markets beckon.

Hempco, a leading Western Canadian hemp processor, is currently headquartered in Burnaby, B.C. Hempco is consolidating all its operations, including its head office, into a new processing centre in Nisku.

Quietly plugging along with $6.6 million in revenues last year, Hempco contracts some 40,000 acres worth of outdoor-grown hemp from Alberta farmers. The harvested hemp is processed into protein powder, hemp heart food supplements and cooking oils.

Aurora likes Hempco too, and is purchasing 20% of the company with the likelihood of becoming majority shareholder down the line. Hempco will grow from 24 employees by the end of 2017, to an anticipated 70 to 80 by 2020.

New jobs and economic activity should buzz around Edmonton, stemming from the growing, distribution, e-commerce, wholesale and retail sales of recreational and medicinal pot.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/08/2...but-pot-is-hot

Seems like a new cluster is starting to form here for this industry.

C2E Posting Power

Cool to see. Any insight into why this is happening here?

I was in Oregon and Washington State for vacation and observed how their marijuana industry was functioning. Seattle has around 70 licensed dispensaries, I went into one of them and found it not very busy. I noticed the same thing in Spokane and Oregon, none of them were busy. This makes me worry that the amount of marijuana Aurora Cannabis will produce far exceeds what the market will consume. The freedom to smoke weed in the states is there, but use is still discreet. I didn't notice any change from people walking down the street or driving cars it is almost as if legalization never happened. I won't be surprised if the same happens when marijuana become legal in Canada.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As with any new industry, there's an initial rush to open up shop by everyone and their dog, and then a culling of the herd.