Thread: Downtown Business Association - new director

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Default Downtown Business Association - new director

A familiar name to C2E members

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...or-2178397.htm

EDMONTON, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - Nov. 24, 2016) - The Downtown Business Association is pleased to announce Ian O'Donnell as the organization's new Executive Director."Edmonton's downtown is an exciting place to be right now and the timing for this transition has worked out well. The Board is excited about the fresh perspective that Ian will bring to the organization," commented Alyson Hodson, Chair.
    With former project management roles in various architecture and development companies, in addition to extensive volunteer work in the downtown, Ian brings proven abilities to effectively manage multiple stakeholders as well as a strong network of relationships. Ian's history with the Downtown Edmonton Community League and other downtown-focused boards along with an interest in urban planning will continue to be assets in his new role with the Downtown Business Association.
    "It is a great time to be so directly involved with the next chapter of our downtown renaissance. I look forward to working with our members and key stakeholders to ensure that the momentum we have built continues," said O'Donnell.
    Ian officially resumes his Executive Director role on Tuesday, December 8, 2016.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Twice the hipster lunches, half as many fun bars!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Excellent !

Great news.

Last time Top_Dawg spotted the downtown jabroni it was somewhat alarming.

There was some scrub curled up on a couch at the DECL clubhouse with a crying towel and listening to a continuous loop of Chicago's ' Hard to Say I'm Sorry / Get Away '.

Top_Dawg asked some poodle working there who it was.

She whispered: " IanO. "

Top_Dawg then asked what's wrong with him.

She rolled her eyes and said: " What isn't wrong with him ? ".

Top_Dawg nodded understandingly and quickly left before IanO saw him and subjected Top_Dawg to yet another awkward exchange of words.

Good to know he's back.

Congratulations to IanO as he resumes his Executive Director role on December 8.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to a new challenge.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Congratulations Ian!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Well done Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Twice the hipster lunches, half as many fun bars!
    lol.. oh man. Not sure ive laughed like this in a while.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Good luck grasshopper...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    A familiar name to C2E members

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...or-2178397.htm

EDMONTON, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - Nov. 24, 2016) - The Downtown Business Association is pleased to announce Ian O'Donnell as the organization's new Executive Director."Edmonton's downtown is an exciting place to be right now and the timing for this transition has worked out well. The Board is excited about the fresh perspective that Ian will bring to the organization," commented Alyson Hodson, Chair.
    With former project management roles in various architecture and development companies, in addition to extensive volunteer work in the downtown, Ian brings proven abilities to effectively manage multiple stakeholders as well as a strong network of relationships. Ian's history with the Downtown Edmonton Community League and other downtown-focused boards along with an interest in urban planning will continue to be assets in his new role with the Downtown Business Association.
    "It is a great time to be so directly involved with the next chapter of our downtown renaissance. I look forward to working with our members and key stakeholders to ensure that the momentum we have built continues," said O'Donnell.
    Ian officially resumes his Executive Director role on Tuesday, December 8, 2016.
    This role suits Ian very well.

I wonder what the DBA has up its sleeve for the upcoming few years?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Congrats Ian as I saw in Edmonton sun website. 2 thumbs way up !!
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

In all sincerity, congrats on the role Ian
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

Congratulations, Ian! Fabulous opportunity, and I know you'll do a great job.
    Almost always open to debate...

Well well well...my how things have changed.

Congrats Ian! I look forward to working with you.
    Onward and upward

Next time I see you I will buy you a beer. Congrats.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Congrats Ian, can't wait to see what you have in store for the DBA!

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Congrats Ian !

Thanks again everyone for the support and kind notes. As we move forward feel free to come and see me or shoot me an email once I am set up if you want me to investigate something or chat about a particular downtown subject.
    www.decl.org

Congrats and happy to hear you got this key position for our up and coming downtown!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Good article, but I don't understand this idea, there are already plenty of great parks in Edmonton's downtown - e.g. River Valley / legislature:

Q What would you like to see in the Warehouse District?

A There’s some movement to look at a large new central park, which is an interesting idea. Great cities around the world often have beautiful public places and parks which often have residential and successful businesses around them. Just making sure we have good investment in the public realm and places for families and visitors and for people to go to at lunch to enjoy the outdoors.
    A park is the opposite of vibrant and lively, its a place to relax. I think the warehouse districts needs lot of people (residential - low rise), fewer parking lots, fewer dead zones not more of them.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Please discuss the proposed new central park in this thread - there's good discussion on how wrong you are (as usual)
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...n-Central-Park

^^Great cities have great public spaces/parks mixed in amongst the density, towers and people.
    www.decl.org