Thread: Parking traps and ticketing

Default Parking traps and ticketing

Tonight on Market Place (tv) an episode on the millions of dollars cities are making from 'bait zones' and "parking ticket traps".

Also what people can do if they get a ticket from a private parking lot.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...arking-tickets

C2E Continued Contributor

A couple years ago I wrote pretty much the same thing on a similar thread about parking. It's difficult for private parking companies to really enforce the "tickets" they give out. If you don't pay their fines then just about the only thing they can really do about it is tow your vehicle if you park there again illegally. Even then I don't think I've ever met anyone that this has happened to.

That said, if you get a legitimate ticket for actually parking illegally I think you should just pay it. But if it's an unfair ticket fight that ****!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    A couple years ago I wrote pretty much the same thing on a similar thread about parking. It's difficult for private parking companies to really enforce the "tickets" they give out. If you don't pay their fines then just about the only thing they can really do about it is tow your vehicle if you park there again illegally. Even then I don't think I've ever met anyone that this has happened to.

That said, if you get a legitimate ticket for actually parking illegally I think you should just pay it. But if it's an unfair ticket fight that ****!
    It has happened to me. I had multiple tickets from Impark though. They actually wouldn't have been able to tow me during the day (no room in the parkade to get a tow truck in there while it's busy), but I stupidly left my vehicle there until after most cars were gone. They towed me and I had to pay $350 to Cliff's towing to get my truck back the next day. They add $40/day for 'storage'. The $350 had nothing to do with Impark. It was all itemized on the invoice from Cliff's.

Needless to say now I pay.

can anyone summarize what they said about private parking tickets? If they dont need to be paid like many knoe why do you have to pay your towing fee.

I remember seeing a reddit thread from someone saying the police said you cant have your car withheld from you and theyd have to release it... the op from the thread waited a few hours for the police but eventually decided to pay the tow then wait any longer.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    can anyone summarize what they said about private parking tickets? If they dont need to be paid like many knoe why do you have to pay your towing fee.

I remember seeing a reddit thread from someone saying the police said you cant have your car withheld from you and theyd have to release it... the op from the thread waited a few hours for the police but eventually decided to pay the tow then wait any longer.
    Well then. If you can find that thread or anything backing up that theory I'd love to read it.

he updated his reddit post but gave up after 3 hours. Police still hadnt arrived and he needed to be somewhere so he ended up paying.